12/18/23 01:49 PM
12/18/23 01:49 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline OP
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline OP
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Our propane tank is around 140 feet from the road access.

It’s a Amerigas rental, main use is home heating (when under 35F), and a great room gas fireplace.

Never had a delivery issue, but the lower end of our driveway really broke apart.

In 2017, I had entire driveway taken out and repoured. I spec’d 6” for the first (street end) half. I was trying to allow for propane and septic trucks.

That went well, but it did develop multiple hairline cracks starting about six months later. They seem to have stabilized, so maybe that’s kind of normal? shruggy

After that, I had a sign posted at end of driveway stating NO HEAVY TRUCKS ON DRIVEWAY.

Well last winter, our propane truck driver said they no longer carry hoses over 100 feet.

He did come back and refill after his truck had a lighter load using driveway. No issues.

Septic truck was just here last week for routine pump out. He was debating about using our yard, and said it WOULD result in ruts.

I OK’d him to use driveway, as I was more concerned with propane truck weight, vs septic.

Done with no issues.

The only option I see (other than having tank moved), is buying a gas fill extension hose. 50 feet I would think?

But I have no idea what to look for in quality, hose size, and fittings.

Are they pretty much standard?

Whenever I call Ameren, all I get is a paper pusher / phone call taker that can’t advise squat.

I’m hoping to talk with driver on next delivery, but he may or may not ring doorbell.

We are semi rural, three acre wooded lots. So tank moving would be a hassle.

Thoughts appreciated! wave

Re: 500 gallon homepropane tank question [Re: Cometstorm] #3198407
12/18/23 03:36 PM
12/18/23 03:36 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Me, I'd move the tank to a more accessible location.
Whether you do that or install (and bury ?) an extension/filler hose, it's all a short hassle, right ?
But with an optimum tank location, refills & driveway should be less of a long-term concern.

When I had propane years ago, it was over 100' from the truck and that wasn't a problem.
All the flex hose (house and 2 separate shops) looked the same to me (and all got buried).
If you do a filler-extension, make a map of its location.

Re: 500 gallon homepropane tank question [Re: topside] #3198428
12/18/23 05:15 PM
12/18/23 05:15 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Move the tank. In the long run that is going to be the best bet. I honestly don't know how you would keep an extension hose purged at all times.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: 500 gallon homepropane tank question [Re: 6PakBee] #3198500
12/18/23 11:52 PM
12/18/23 11:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Never gave it much thought. shruggy Up her in the frozen north, the ground freezes and the truck weight would only be a concern in early spring of if it was really wet for the fall delivery.

I would probably be more concerned about a septic tank truck then a Propane tank as far as weight is concerned.

Moving the Propane tank could be an option, but will it work as well if its too far from the furnace? Do you really want the 500 gallon propane tank closer to the road?