F
formula_s Offline
master
formula_s  Offline
master
F

North Pole,New York
Originally Posted by Magnumguy
Like most of the shows, drama needs to go. Not a whole lot on this show. Sometimes he acts like the world is ending.

Like the A12 and the Fury? that was a 6pak as I recall.

Like most, it's tolerable for a bit.

Beginning to watch Roadworthy Rescues more and more. Is GYC on anymore?

How many times did Dan call the Fury a "triple deuce"? It was a 71 couldn't be.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: formula_s] #3190497
11/12/23 05:50 PM
11/12/23 05:50 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by formula_s
Originally Posted by Magnumguy
Like most of the shows, drama needs to go. Not a whole lot on this show. Sometimes he acts like the world is ending.

Like the A12 and the Fury? that was a 6pak as I recall.

Like most, it's tolerable for a bit.

Beginning to watch Roadworthy Rescues more and more. Is GYC on anymore?

How many times did Dan call the Fury a "triple deuce"? It was a 71 couldn't be.

Might not be factory, but that Fury had three 2bbl's,

Re: Fantom Works [Re: Sniper] #3190604
11/13/23 12:52 PM
11/13/23 12:52 PM
Glen Burnie MD
68SportFury Offline
master
68SportFury  Offline
master

Glen Burnie MD
There's a lot of weird stuff on that '71 Sport Fury, all of which the owner insists is original, including the 6bbl setup and the '69 fender badges on the C-pillars. FWIW, it is an original GY3 Curious Yellow car; the code is on the fender tag. It's an original 383 car.
He also owns the 300 Hurst that was done on the show, and the custom Cadillac hearse as well.

Paul
68 Sport Fury ragtop
67 Fury III 4-dr HT
11 Charger Rallye
17 Challenger SXT Plus
Re: Fantom Works [Re: 68SportFury] #3190606
11/13/23 12:57 PM
11/13/23 12:57 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Yeah, that Fury was an oddball, someone messed with it for sure. Not sure if the owner was the original owner or not, but if not someone sold him an interesting car.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: Sniper] #3190842
11/14/23 02:11 PM
11/14/23 02:11 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline OP
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
As far as zero dramatics, Chasing Classic Cars is the best. Only thing for me is that Wayne is interested in stuff that doesn't really do it for me although still interesting cars. I enjoy watching him every once in awhile. He sure likes his Concourse de elegance stuff lol.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Fantom Works [Re: larrymopar360] #3190864
11/14/23 03:32 PM
11/14/23 03:32 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
I like that show but feel the same way about some of the cars. Still interesting. I also like Wheeler Dealers (liked it better with Edd/Ant, but Elvis is good), and I like Dennis Collins' Coffee Walks. I can do without his BFF though.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Fantom Works [Re: larrymopar360] #3190869
11/14/23 03:57 PM
11/14/23 03:57 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Online boogie
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Online Boogie
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
As far as zero dramatics, Chasing Classic Cars is the best. Only thing for me is that Wayne is interested in stuff that doesn't really do it for me although still interesting cars. I enjoy watching him every once in awhile. He sure likes his Concourse de elegance stuff lol.

Yea…Wayne Carini…apparently he is very well known and respected in the vintage European automotive world. Hell of a lot of charitable work too (he has a disabled kid). He’s for real. Don’t know how he got his money. I think I’ll Google that.

Edit…his father owned a collision repair shop that he grew up in and inherited. It’s obviously done very well.

Last edited by Pacnorthcuda; 11/14/23 04:40 PM.
Re: Fantom Works [Re: not_a_charger] #3190919
11/14/23 06:42 PM
11/14/23 06:42 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I like that show but feel the same way about some of the cars. Still interesting. I also like Wheeler Dealers (liked it better with Edd/Ant, but Elvis is good), and I like Dennis Collins' Coffee Walks. I can do without his BFF though.
Yes I miss Edd too. I liked when they were in America better but I still watch.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: larrymopar360] #3193196
11/25/23 12:28 PM
11/25/23 12:28 PM
Green Bay
Andyvh1959 Offline
enthusiast
Andyvh1959  Offline
enthusiast

Green Bay
When I got YoutubeTV, on Roku the Motor Trend channel is free, so I binged on Wheeler Dealer (a favorite), Chasing Classic Cars (yup good one), the Automotive Guild (really nice stuff and Dave is goofy enough to enjoy), Watching the Guild construct a Ferrari 250GT from scratch, or a Bugatti from scratch is mesmerizing. Wonderful to see true meatcraft. Bitchin Rides, nice builds, great looks, contrived drama that is a bit more obvious, but funny, and Dave Kindig is easy to like. Graveyard Carz gets old after a while but Mark Worman at least drives deep details on Mopars. Full Custom Garage, a one man show, is interesting at least to see how he creates some of his ideas. Same for Bad Chad, can be interesting at times just to see how he develops a build, but have to wonder about the details underneath it all. Bulldog and Leppo had to be the worst, that people would actually buy the "skinned customs" derived from salvage yard cut ups baffled me. But a lot of the rest are way to contrived and scripted. Certainly they all are scripted, as is obvious everytime it seems these automotive "experts" go to start a new build or a rebuild and "surprise", no one set the timing before they cranked it over. Gotta set some flames shooting out the intake for drama?

I like Wheeler Dealer (bring back Ed China) because they worked on cars, even the odd Brit or Italian cars, that seemed more like the work you or I would do. They strived to stick to a budget and reasonable parts sourcing, and the profits they made from resales were more realistic. And I could actually learn a few things from Ed as the rebuild progressed. But shows like Counting Cars, way too contrived, like all the motorcycle build shows that can only create expensive, dumb-ass useless butt jewelry that never really gets ridden. I would like to see a Bitchin Rides car up close to really take in the fine details of a truly custom, expert build. To me its the underside, the details under the sheet metal that define a true, well sorted, driveable custom.

My 56 C3-B8 Dakota build
Re: Fantom Works [Re: Andyvh1959] #3193197
11/25/23 12:35 PM
11/25/23 12:35 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959
When I got YoutubeTV, on Roku the Motor Trend channel is free, so I binged on Wheeler Dealer (a favorite), Chasing Classic Cars (yup good one), the Automotive Guild (really nice stuff and Dave is goofy enough to enjoy), Watching the Guild construct a Ferrari 250GT from scratch, or a Bugatti from scratch is mesmerizing. Wonderful to see true meatcraft. Bitchin Rides, nice builds, great looks, contrived drama that is a bit more obvious, but funny, and Dave Kindig is easy to like. Graveyard Carz gets old after a while but Mark Worman at least drives deep details on Mopars. Full Custom Garage, a one man show, is interesting at least to see how he creates some of his ideas. Same for Bad Chad, can be interesting at times just to see how he develops a build, but have to wonder about the details underneath it all. Bulldog and Leppo had to be the worst, that people would actually buy the "skinned customs" derived from salvage yard cut ups baffled me. But a lot of the rest are way to contrived and scripted. Certainly they all are scripted, as is obvious everytime it seems these automotive "experts" go to start a new build or a rebuild and "surprise", no one set the timing before they cranked it over. Gotta set some flames shooting out the intake for drama?

I like Wheeler Dealer (bring back Ed China) because they worked on cars, even the odd Brit or Italian cars, that seemed more like the work you or I would do. They strived to stick to a budget and reasonable parts sourcing, and the profits they made from resales were more realistic. And I could actually learn a few things from Ed as the rebuild progressed. But shows like Counting Cars, way too contrived, like all the motorcycle build shows that can only create expensive, dumb-ass useless butt jewelry that never really gets ridden. I would like to see a Bitchin Rides car up close to really take in the fine details of a truly custom, expert build. To me its the underside, the details under the sheet metal that define a true, well sorted, driveable custom.
I watch Restoration Garage sometimes too despite the co-owner Larry who I find very annoying. I'm with you; building that Ferrari from scratch was incredible. True craftsmanship. I mostly enjoy the everyday muscle cars that come in for maintenance and upgrades.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #3193198
11/25/23 12:37 PM
11/25/23 12:37 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by larrymopar360

Yea…Wayne Carini…apparently he is very well known and respected in the vintage European automotive world. Hell of a lot of charitable work too (he has a disabled kid). He’s for real. Don’t know how he got his money. I think I’ll Google that.

Edit…his father owned a collision repair shop that he grew up in and inherited. It’s obviously done very well.
He seems like a very private guy which is good. I've heard him mention his wife MAYBE twice and I'm sure his daughter appeared in that episode for charitable reasons or he would not have had her on. Seems like a good down to Earth guy.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: Moparite] #3195947
12/07/23 07:15 PM
12/07/23 07:15 PM
ID/MT
C
Cheeto Offline
top fuel
Cheeto  Offline
top fuel
C

ID/MT
Originally Posted by Moparite
It was hilarious when he would add on costs to a job, Oh you will need a new fuel tank($2000) You also need new fuel lines($1000) and cant forget the fuel pump($1500). Ka ching, Ka ching, Ka ching. I wondered how the guys liked working in that old dungeon he called a shop?

And then he gets all crabby when the customer balks. This killed that show for me.

Roadworthy Rescues started off good. The last 2 episodes have it sitting on a motorcycle staring at a ramp over a tank of sharks...if you catch the reference. He went from dragging a Mustang out of a field and fixing it (mostly) on-site to dumping thousands of dollars worth of adapters and a Porsche 6 speed into a DeLorean. I wonder if O Reilly Auto Parts sponsored that episode (rhetorical question). If they wanted that wagon from SD to ride like a mini truck in the '90s they could've done it without all the fancy new suspension parts.

All the shows that started off as "get old car running and drive it home" have rolled over into "push it into the shop and throw expensive parts at it".
Freiburger, Dulcich, Bieri, Fred Williams, Dave Chapelle..they all seem like pretty good fellas but I'm thinking the higher ups are pushing the shows in a direction that is not what made them popular to begin with.

Last edited by Cheeto; 12/07/23 07:16 PM.

Cheeto
It's not perfect.
It's not correct.
It's not yours!
Re: Fantom Works [Re: Cheeto] #3195992
12/07/23 10:23 PM
12/07/23 10:23 PM
New Jersey
P
Powerflow Offline
pro stock
Powerflow  Offline
pro stock
P

New Jersey
^^^Agree.

The show has gone from 'make it drivable after sitting 30 years' to 'let's throw tons of $ at this pre-dug-out car'. Disappointing.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: Powerflow] #3196226
12/09/23 11:01 AM
12/09/23 11:01 AM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Stacey David.
I always liked watching "gearz" except for the amount of real content vs the amount of time spent away from the show, gone to commercial. Most of these shows ( not just this one) could be watched on 15 min with commercials deleted.
I also like " my classic car".

Re: Fantom Works [Re: volaredon] #3196247
12/09/23 01:38 PM
12/09/23 01:38 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline OP
Stud Muffin
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by volaredon
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Stacey David.
I always liked watching "gearz" except for the amount of real content vs the amount of time spent away from the show, gone to commercial. Most of these shows ( not just this one) could be watched on 15 min with commercials deleted.
I also like " my classic car".
I've seen Stacy mentioned here before. He's good too. Yes a lot of commercials and he has to many non-car side projects for my taste but I still watch sometimes.

My Classic Car has been a good one for years.

Re: Fantom Works [Re: larrymopar360] #3196682
12/11/23 01:02 PM
12/11/23 01:02 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
Like Coldwarmotors out of Alberta. Old Mopars, French cars, MK1 Lincolns and guys having fun with old stuff. For rust repair, Fitzees Fabrications make
you rethink the way to do things, If you can get past the Newfie accent!

Page 2 of 2 1 2