S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by MarkZ
I really do not understand the issues people have been having. I ordered everything through Bergman Autocraft so it included all the fittings, hoses and his column adapter. Box went right in without so much on an issue. This is on an M body that nobody makes [censored] for or even takes into consideration when designing kits. Completely took the slop out of the steering. I've installed two of these kits on separate cars. Just order it all through Bergman!

Yes, it seems those that went thru Bergman, who has spent the time to sort it out, have had no or minimal issues.

Those who thought they could save a few dollars doing it themselves forget to account for the cost of their time and aggravation.

I am generally of the second group, but in some cases it makes sense to go with the already well sorted out kit. This is one of those times.

Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: MarkZ] #3195217
12/03/23 08:50 PM
12/03/23 08:50 PM
Zombieland
Car Nut Offline
mopar
Car Nut  Offline
mopar

Zombieland
I really do not understand the issues people have been having. I ordered everything through Bergman Autocraft so it included all the fittings, hoses and his column adapter. Box went right in without so much on an issue. This is on an M body that nobody makes [censored] for or even takes into consideration when designing kits. Completely took the slop out of the steering. I've installed two of these kits on separate cars. Just order it all through Bergman!

Good point I forgot to mention that I did too, he makes the install so easy.

Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: jcc] #3195230
12/03/23 09:45 PM
12/03/23 09:45 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by jcc
Not yet mentioned, but I thought this box had like a one? point faster steering ratio over an OEM PS box, granted not much, but nobody has even commented on that aspect as if it's not even noticeable?
...............BTW, I'm not trying to be offensive to you in anyway beer

laugh2 No Harm no foul. Me being here for over a decade, your last sentiment puts you into a very small crowd is my observation. grin up

up beer

Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: MarkZ] #3195231
12/03/23 09:59 PM
12/03/23 09:59 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

Mark, I for one was not even aware of the refined Bergman kit but did make note of it. My experiences across multiple vehicle makes as stated are with the borgeson Half a-- kits that are far from the "bolt in" they make one think it is. I too have well equipped shop and have been able to address MOST of the issues as AndyF commented. The OP asked about Borgeson and like me may not have been aware of Bergman's refined kits. My experiences in a few cases required trying multiple fluid brands and Adding oil coolers to keep the fluid temp down to alleviate chattering, groaning atc at low speeds or when stopped and turning the wheels. Not sure Bergman has a fix for that based on an earlier post. Borgeson may have also come up with a solution but i wouldn't count on it wink
No offense meant just responding to you question wink beer

Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: TJP] #3195318
12/04/23 02:52 PM
12/04/23 02:52 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP

Mark, I for one was not even aware of the refined Bergman kit but did make note of it. My experiences across multiple vehicle makes as stated are with the borgeson Half a-- kits that are far from the "bolt in" they make one think it is. I too have well equipped shop and have been able to address MOST of the issues as AndyF commented. The OP asked about Borgeson and like me may not have been aware of Bergman's refined kits. My experiences in a few cases required trying multiple fluid brands and Adding oil coolers to keep the fluid temp down to alleviate chattering, groaning atc at low speeds or when stopped and turning the wheels. Not sure Bergman has a fix for that based on an earlier post. Borgeson may have also come up with a solution but i wouldn't count on it wink

None taken! I think I may have come off a little strong in that post too.

I should add some context. Both the boxes I have are gen 2 pieces and I know that the 1st gen boxes did have issues, especially with the case and the welded on mounting ears.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: MarkZ] #3195365
12/04/23 08:00 PM
12/04/23 08:00 PM
Zombieland
Car Nut Offline
mopar
Car Nut  Offline
mopar

Zombieland
Originally Posted by TJP

None taken! I think I may have come off a little strong in that post too.

I should add some context. Both the boxes I have are gen 2 pieces and I know that the 1st gen boxes did have issues, especially with the case and the welded on mounting ears.

When did you purchase the G2 box?

Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: Car Nut] #3195384
12/04/23 09:55 PM
12/04/23 09:55 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Originally Posted by Car Nut

Spring of 2015.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: MarkZ] #3195385
12/04/23 10:02 PM
12/04/23 10:02 PM
Zombieland
Car Nut Offline
mopar
Car Nut  Offline
mopar

Zombieland
Originally Posted by Car Nut

Spring of 2015.

OK, thanks, that’s about when I bought mine too.

Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: Sniper] #3195404
12/04/23 11:40 PM
12/04/23 11:40 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline OP
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline OP
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Originally Posted by Sniper
Bergman Autocraft has taken the time and effort to address all the issues on this swap an offer a kit. Check them out and see what you think. I have no dog in this hunt, all my cars use Armstrong steering, lol

https://bergmanautocraft.com/product/borgeson-steering-box-conversion-master-kit/

Thanks for the link. I see they refined the kit and is a minimal hassle bolt in now. With a final cost of $1500 (sipping and taxes), it's not looking it's worth the swap for the minimal return in steering improvement. Tanks again for all the info guys.

Last edited by migsBIG; 12/05/23 12:06 AM.
Re: We’re you happy with your Borgeson steering box swap? [Re: migsBIG] #3195583
12/05/23 11:26 PM
12/05/23 11:26 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
up beer

Page 2 of 2 1 2