K
Kelob_pie Offline OP
enthusiast
Kelob_pie  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Kewaskum, WI
Hi Guys-
Been a long time since I've been on here. Finally getting back to my projects.
Anyways, I have a beater 71 Charger 383 that I bought maybe 10 years ago. So I finally got it road worthy, installed new front end pieces.
New QA1 upper and lower control arms, QA1 tie rod ends, QA1 strut rods, new shocks, ball joints, etc. New Borgeson steering box and pitman arm/tie rod as well.... new tires wheels as well......
So I took it to the alignment shop and we gave it -.5 degrees per side of negative camber, and plus 3.5 of caster. 1/16th of toe in...
Drove nicely on a flat road near the alignment shop. Big thumbs up.
Trailered it home and wanted to show off to my daughter what a nice driving machine this was, and I hit some minor bumps and grooves on the road and this thing is all over!!!!!!!
MAJOR bump steer! The only thing that I question is when I installed everything, my center link was not parallel to the street anymore due to the pitman arm being lower than my idler arm. I didn't think anything at the time because I thought "no big deal, everything is on ball joints"
So, could this be causing bump steer???????
Thanks for any info!

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: Kelob_pie] #3194618
12/01/23 01:12 AM
12/01/23 01:12 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
The MP chassis book and many others I assume, detail how to measure the bumpsteer and what you need to do to fix it. And yes, your pitman/idler arm height issue can be the cause.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: Kelob_pie] #3194632
12/01/23 07:49 AM
12/01/23 07:49 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
With both outer links I believe the goal is to remain as parallel as possible with the movement of the LCA. If you visually can see that is not the case, bump steer is a given.
That is achieved by both sides being mirror image, and same distance from and height of the control arms measured from the ball joints pivot center to the pivot point of the LCA, and at centered steering. the inside control arm pivot longitudinally in line with the inside LCA pivot point.

Make sense?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: jcc] #3194666
12/01/23 11:41 AM
12/01/23 11:41 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by jcc
With both outer links I believe the goal is to remain as parallel as possible with the movement of the LCA. If you visually can see that is not the case, bump steer is a given.
That is achieved by both sides being mirror image, and same distance from and height of the control arms measured from the ball joints pivot center to the pivot point of the LCA, and at centered steering. the inside control arm pivot longitudinally in line with the inside LCA pivot point.

Make sense?

i agree with the above. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
bump steer is there in the stock suspension, like it or not.
it isn't too bad if factory alignment specs are used, but when you start to use useful specs out of the factory range [especially caster] bump steer shows up quickly.
the DC and MP chassis books show how to correct this, and if you have these books, read up on the procedures and fix your situation. it's relatively easy to do. [in my opinion]
if you don't have these books, or access to them, they are a worthwhile investment.[again, my opinion]
beer

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: moparx] #3194844
12/02/23 09:11 AM
12/02/23 09:11 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Just to point out, you can also get a form of bump steer from the rear suspension. Highly arched springs can change rear toe as you drive.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3194851
12/02/23 10:03 AM
12/02/23 10:03 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by ruderunner
Just to point out, you can also get a form of bump steer from the rear suspension. Highly arched springs can change rear toe as you drive.

More like thrust angle changes and not toe.

[Linked Image]

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: Sniper] #3194856
12/02/23 10:32 AM
12/02/23 10:32 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
2 ways to describe the same thing. In the illustration, rr is toe in, lr is toe out. With a solid axle, total toe doesn't change.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3194869
12/02/23 11:48 AM
12/02/23 11:48 AM
Kewaskum, WI
K
Kelob_pie Offline OP
enthusiast
Kelob_pie  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Kewaskum, WI
Hmmmm, the rear suspension is all original stuff yet, and I'm sure the bushings are garbage and I know for sure the leafs are sagged out. That is my next step for sure. Who knows, maybe that could be the issue as well, never thought about that.....
Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3194886
12/02/23 01:24 PM
12/02/23 01:24 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
2 ways to describe the same thing. In the illustration, rr is toe in, lr is toe out. With a solid axle, total toe doesn't change.

Toe is measured in reference to the other tire on the same axle and the vehicle centerline. If you have a toe issue on a solid axle you have a bent one.

There is a reason they are different terms and they are NOT describing the same thing.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: Sniper] #3194985
12/02/23 08:10 PM
12/02/23 08:10 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by Sniper

Toe is measured in reference to the other tire on the same axle and the vehicle centerline. If you have a toe issue on a solid axle you have a bent one.

There is a reason they are different terms and they are NOT describing the same thing.

None of that contradicts my statement.

Total toe is measured from tire to tire, this can be toe in or toe out. Each tire can be measured relative to the vehicle centerline, and again toe in or out.

If you have a total toe problem on a solid axle, then yes it's probably bent. Which is the collary to my original statement.

Let's say we're working on IRS, how do you correct a thrust angle problem? By adjusting the toe of the rear wheels.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3195028
12/02/23 11:44 PM
12/02/23 11:44 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Neither above comment addresses the previous identified rear axle bump steer.
Thrust angle is an alignment problem. Rear toe on a straight axle is a bent axle. Both problems are not bump related.
Rear bump steer on OEM leaf spring setups is an intentional or acceptable chassis design compromise solution, and only corrected if unneeded or undesired by modifying the suspension, and not changed by simple alignment changes.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: jcc] #3195046
12/03/23 09:19 AM
12/03/23 09:19 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by jcc
Thrust angle is an alignment problem. Rear toe on a straight axle is a bent axle. Both problems are not bump related.
Rear bump steer on OEM leaf spring setups is an intentional or acceptable chassis design compromise solution, and only corrected if unneeded or undesired by modifying the suspension, and not changed by simple alignment changes.

Disagree. Total toe on a straight axle can be correct AND individual toe can be incorrect. Yes, this phenomenon is usually called thrust angle but it comes down to incorrect rear toe angles. It really doesn't matter if it's a solid axle or IRS.

As for leaf springs causing bump steer. Yes they can. The spring oves the axle in an arc as ride height changes, effectively lengthening or shortening the wheel base. How severe this is depends on how level the front half of the spring is. Ideally the front half of the spring should be parallel to the ground at normal ride height. This minimizes side to side changes in rear toe.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: jcc] #3195050
12/03/23 09:34 AM
12/03/23 09:34 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc

Actually, rear bump steer is caused by changes in the thrust angle as the axle moves up and down more on one side than the other. Nature of how a leaf sprung setup works. Longer front spring length mitigates it to a point, less fore and aft movement as the spring goes thru it's arc. This is where a properly setup 4 link can come into play.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3195053
12/03/23 09:40 AM
12/03/23 09:40 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

Disagree. Total toe on a straight axle can be correct AND individual toe can be incorrect. Yes, this phenomenon is usually called thrust angle but it comes down to incorrect rear toe angles. It really doesn't matter if it's a solid axle or IRS.

That's what happens when you don't reference your toe readings to the vehicle center line, which you have to do.

I reiterate, if you have an "individual toe" issue, you have something bent. For the record here, because you like to wander off into what if land, we are talking about the OP's solid rear axle setup and nothing else.

To further clarify things, toe is an issue with the tires pointing in or out, thrust angle is how square the axle is to the chassis. Separate issues.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: Sniper] #3195054
12/03/23 09:42 AM
12/03/23 09:42 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by jcc

Actually, rear bump steer is caused by changes in the thrust angle as the axle moves up and down more on one side than the other. Nature of how a leaf sprung setup works. Longer front spring length mitigates it to a point, less fore and aft movement as the spring goes thru it's arc. This is where a properly setup 4 link can come into play.

This is what I'm saying.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: Sniper] #3195057
12/03/23 09:55 AM
12/03/23 09:55 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio

That's what happens when you don't reference your toe readings to the vehicle center line, which you have to do.

......sounds like something I said several times already.

I reiterate, if you have an "individual toe" issue, you have something bent. For the record here, because you like to wander off into what if land, we are talking about the OP's solid rear axle setup and nothing else.

.......relation of the wheels is the problem, not how the wheels are connected. Bent or misadjusted the result is the same.

To further clarify things, toe is an issue with the tires pointing in or out, thrust angle is how square the axle is to the chassis. Separate issues.

With the same correction. Go back to your illustration, remove the green arrow and draw in the vehicle centerline. Now measure the toe of each wheel. The actual mechanics of correction depends on the specific suspension design.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3195081
12/03/23 11:29 AM
12/03/23 11:29 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by jcc

Disagree. Total toe on a straight axle can be correct AND individual toe can be incorrect. Yes, this phenomenon is usually called thrust angle but it comes down to incorrect rear toe angles.

We agree, that is why it's called thrust angle, and if that toe you note is symmetrically opposite on a straight axle, the axle itself is usually considered straight, and it's corrected by improving the alignment of the entire axle or thrust angle, and not by reducing the toe of each wheel individually.

There is almost no consideration or concern nor downside to a I suspect rather rarely found slightly bent straight axle has that exact opposite toe angles.

Note, that begs the question, do alignment machines measure each sides wheelbase, to ascertain if rear axle toe measurements are exactly opposite, giving zero thrust or do they just measure angles of toe on rear axle ?

Last edited by jcc; 12/03/23 03:38 PM.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: jcc] #3195133
12/03/23 03:23 PM
12/03/23 03:23 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Depending on machine, some can measure wheelbase differences. But mostly the concern is the angles.

Note that I've been trying to emphasize that thrust angle can be off no matter what rear suspension design you have. If it's a 71 Charger, you shim a spring hanger. If it's a Camry, you fiddle with toe adjusters. In either case you want the wheels parallel to the vehicle centerline.

I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that I suggested that a straight axle has individually adjusted toe. Sure, some fwd cars had bolt on spindles that could be shimmed but that's unusual.

Last edited by ruderunner; 12/03/23 03:27 PM.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: ruderunner] #3195145
12/03/23 03:41 PM
12/03/23 03:41 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
IMO, it was not really worth mentioning in the first place on this particular thread, and really just made for a side trip into the weeds, with no real harm.

Re: 71 Charger Bump Steer?!?!?! [Re: jcc] #3195216
12/03/23 08:49 PM
12/03/23 08:49 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
The original point was you can get funny handling from the rear too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2