jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by FastmOp
Originally Posted by jcc
I know that is the common norm, but why exactly? Is it just to clean out the trapped crap, or to gain more thread engagement by cutting deeper threads?

I think I can make a case if the stud is already screwed into its last thread, cutting more threads in a taper tapped existing hole with a bottoming tap will only weaken the block.

Why exactly, is because you want the threads in the hole deeper then the threads on the stud. Period! That is where we seem to disagree, deeper only weakens the block, whereas deep enough prevents your concern on jammed into the thread taper you are concerned with. There is a distinction
The case you are arguing is what exactly? I tryd to explain to you the stress riser at the bottom is a wedge weekining the cast iron hole if the stud is not fully engaged. It's better to have room in the bottom of the hole for a few reasons, the stress riser being the main reason, but also because if the stud bottoms out they can be a PITA to remove, sometimes needing to be EDM'd out . It's a lot better for the studs threads to bottom on the very 1st thread then to wedge itself into the bottom of the hole.Who here was disputing that? The stud is a far superior alloy so the stress at the very 1st thread is not a problem. But whatever stress the the threads of the superior metal stud can handle, the block's threads must also be able to handle, the connection is only as strong as the weakest link.

I still want to know if you have ever installed a set of main studs? For what purpose?I tryd to answer your question, I agree will you answer mine ? When you show it's a pertinent question, by all means

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Main studs question [Re: jcc] #3182679
10/10/23 09:36 AM
10/10/23 09:36 AM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
Ok we agree ( I think ) that one full thread below the stud is all that's needed. But you could drill the hole all the way through and it won't change the block strength, it's the material surrounding the stud that dictates the strength. That's what's being loaded. Ideally you would want a through hole with a nut on the back side as well. .

The weekest link is the block material, either cast or aluminum. The stud is way stronger. That's why the threads are so long, trying to distribute the load over enough material to not pull the blocks threads out.

My question about installing studs is to see if you have ever seen the stud turn as you tighten the nut. They can go from finger tight to extremely tight as the nut applies the torsional load. That's why you want it jammed against the 1st thread not the bottom taper of an unfinished blind hole.

Bottom line for the OP is bottom tap the holes.

Re: Main studs question [Re: FastmOp] #3182749
10/10/23 01:24 PM
10/10/23 01:24 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
All the Hi Po fasteners companies, ARP, Pioneer, Milidon and others say to install all studs, main and head studs, finger tight with lube on both threads and in the blocks also, do NOT tighten them tsk scope
I don't follow those instructions to the T realcrazy I do snug them a tiny bit twocents

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Main studs question [Re: Cab_Burge] #3183067
10/11/23 01:20 PM
10/11/23 01:20 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
most holes can be bottom tapped without causing any weakness to the casting or hole. this is in any material.
bottom tapping eliminates the wedging action almost every single time.
still, the best practice is to have at least one, and better yet, two complete threads below the fastener in a blind hole, no matter what the application may be.
beer

Page 2 of 2 1 2