Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
These are Hurricane Ian's last year's storm damaged wreckage in the Ft Meyers, Florida area.

Like, what are you thinking having rare cars near/on the Ocean, at ground level, with a hurricane approaching, and not even bother to move them to safer ground?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/cla...782ab3d66447eaae1e03a1161e5c23&ei=41

Last edited by jcc; 10/03/23 12:33 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180478
10/03/23 03:59 AM
10/03/23 03:59 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
It was my understanding that the more valuable cars were moved but there wasn't time to get all the cars out.

So they get restored one more time, it's only a problem if the car is an unrestored original survivor.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #3180480
10/03/23 05:11 AM
10/03/23 05:11 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Regardless, he was lucky the car(s) is restorable.
When you are on the shoreline, 20? miles inland can make all the difference in the world.
I'm finding it hard to believe lack of time was the issue, which makes me wonder, what cars were more valuable and less replaceable?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180514
10/03/23 10:03 AM
10/03/23 10:03 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Online penguin-006
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Online Penguin-006
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted by jcc
Regardless, he was lucky the car(s) is restorable.
When you are on the shoreline, 20? miles inland can make all the difference in the world.
I'm finding it hard to believe lack of time was the issue, which makes me wonder, what cars were more valuable and less replaceable?

Another Daytona and Superbird...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: Rhinodart] #3180537
10/03/23 10:57 AM
10/03/23 10:57 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
So the answer to my question seems to be "No".

Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180538
10/03/23 10:58 AM
10/03/23 10:58 AM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida

Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180540
10/03/23 11:00 AM
10/03/23 11:00 AM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Online penguin-006
I Live Here
Devil  Online Penguin-006
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
I'm guessing you didn't watch the video.

Tony owns both cars now, he did not own the cars during the hurricane.

The owner at the time had transported two of the other Aero Cars away, and was on his way back for the other two when the evacuation order was initiated, so he put them both on to of the lifts. The storm was suppose to just graze Fort Myers, instead it turned right at the end and hit them head on with a huge ocean surge. That knocked the cars off the lifts. The owner at the time was in the garage trying to keep the cars from hitting each other, but almost got crushed. His wife screaming at him to get out of the water, he finally relented and let them go.

Then we all know how the cars turned out. Then a friend of his Tony bought the cars outright, no insurance money was involved.

And now they are both being restored.

Last edited by Devil; 10/03/23 11:01 AM.
Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: Devil] #3180551
10/03/23 12:04 PM
10/03/23 12:04 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
No I have not seen the video, and now I read Tony was not the owner that made the decision to have the cars left in harm's way on the shoreline at ground level.
Regarding on waiting till an evacuation order is given when one has valuables on the shoreline is idiotic and nearly unforgiveable by a person of means.
The fact the owner is reported to have chosen to ride out the storm onsite says it all.
Regarding hurricanes being predictable is very ignorant, and no two have ever been the same.
There was plenty of time to take preventative action.
Playing the odds resulted in the preventable damage.
iMO a unibody car many decades old that has been submerged in salt water for hours will never be fully restored unless at the least it's been fully flushed/tanked in water and then maybe e coated.

BTW I changed the OP title to not disparage Tony in any way.

Last edited by jcc; 10/03/23 12:34 PM.

Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180670
10/03/23 05:42 PM
10/03/23 05:42 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Is it winter already??? laugh2

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #3180694
10/03/23 07:29 PM
10/03/23 07:29 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ
Is it winter already??? laugh2

Agreed. The guy was probably more concerned about his 10 million dollar yacht.

Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180700
10/03/23 07:45 PM
10/03/23 07:45 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by jcc
No I have not seen the video, and now I read Tony was not the owner that made the decision to have the cars left in harm's way on the shoreline at ground level.
Regarding on waiting till an evacuation order is given when one has valuables on the shoreline is idiotic and nearly unforgiveable by a person of means.
The fact the owner is reported to have chosen to ride out the storm onsite says it all.
Regarding hurricanes being predictable is very ignorant, and no two have ever been the same.
iMO a unibody car many decades old that has been submerged in salt water for hours will never be fully restored unless at the least it's been fully flushed/tanked in water and then maybe e coated.

When you forget how that storm path was predicted to go, and how it ended up going, your comments are way out of line.

The storm was predicted to run up the western coast line, nearly 600 miles in length, and was predicted to make that right turn everyplace along that coast line, but was mostly predicted to turn at least 100 miles north of where it did. Also, after it made that right turn, it was expected to travel across the entire state and exit the state on the east shore line. Nearly the entire state was in the hit zone. There was time to move some cars, but really, there was no idea which direction was the safe bet. Most predictions were saying towards the southern tip was likely the safest place. Fort Meyers is on the southern tip, but south Florida is low land. The storm did hit north of Fort Meyers, but the storm serge is what caused the damage. Since the storm made that right turn sooner then expected, time to move anything was pretty short, even if you knew which direction you had to take them.

Before you condemn the man, look at the State of Florida and tell me which direction you would have moved your 4 cars? He managed to get 2 of them moved. The property the cars were on was high ground in the area, but not high enough for the 20+ feet high storm waves. The waves blew through the back of the garage, and blew the cars off the 4 post lifts and through the garage doors. That property has survived several hurricanes.

Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: poorboy] #3180805
10/04/23 01:09 AM
10/04/23 01:09 AM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by jcc

When you forget how that storm path was predicted to go, and how it ended up going, your comments are way out of line.

The storm was predicted to run up the western coast line, nearly 600 miles in length, and was predicted to make that right turn everyplace along that coast line, but was mostly predicted to turn at least 100 miles north of where it did. Also, after it made that right turn, it was expected to travel across the entire state and exit the state on the east shore line. Nearly the entire state was in the hit zone. There was time to move some cars, but really, there was no idea which direction was the safe bet. Most predictions were saying towards the southern tip was likely the safest place. Fort Meyers is on the southern tip, but south Florida is low land. The storm did hit north of Fort Meyers, but the storm serge is what caused the damage. Since the storm made that right turn sooner then expected, time to move anything was pretty short, even if you knew which direction you had to take them.

Before you condemn the man, look at the State of Florida and tell me which direction you would have moved your 4 cars? He managed to get 2 of them moved. The property the cars were on was high ground in the area, but not high enough for the 20+ feet high storm waves. The waves blew through the back of the garage, and blew the cars off the 4 post lifts and through the garage doors. That property has survived several hurricanes.

Agree not your problem. If you feel so strongly about this then buy the cars and protect them. When hurricanes happen bad stuff happens. Yea two valuable MOPARs were damaged, But they are just material things and they both can be repaired. Get over it.

Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3180888
10/04/23 10:32 AM
10/04/23 10:32 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by jcc

Maybe they moved the cars that were just less heavily insured? whistling

Re: Hey Tony, did you learn anything? [Re: IMGTX] #3180964
10/04/23 01:29 PM
10/04/23 01:29 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
The ONLY thing that matters, is the owner and his family survived the storm.
Everything else doesn't matter.

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: jcc] #3181010
10/04/23 03:26 PM
10/04/23 03:26 PM
Arkansas
340727dart Offline
master
340727dart  Offline
master

Arkansas
Originally Posted by jcc

Dang. I bet you need a parachute to come down off your high horse every once in a great while.

Your life is not my fault.
My life is none of your business.

Speech is free only if you agree with those in control.
Re: Hey Mr, did you learn anything? [Re: poorboy] #3181378
10/05/23 02:41 PM
10/05/23 02:41 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by jcc

Let me respond:
1. Likely you did not read my prior comment;"Regarding hurricanes being predictable is very ignorant, and no two have ever been the same.'"made as resident of Florida since 1955.
2, Hurricane season is the only real reliable prediction, and again for the third? time, having valuable cars on ground level on the shoreline, lifts or not that stand the risk of being in harm's way, is IMO rather negligent, whether insured, replaceable, valuable etc 
3. waiting for authorities to instruct one what to in the above situation is wholly ignorant
4. The reported fact the owner choose to ride out the storm IMO says it all.
5. My main altruistic interests here is for those not affected by this situation to learn from it and never make the same similar poor choices.
6., It appears much of what I have shared has fallen on deaf ears, and why I won't waste a tear on their future poor choices.
6. A few things I would have done different, I would have done more, sooner, and gotten farther from the coastline. There are no guarantees, but doing nothing or too little is usually a higher risk when you reside near the coast.
7. The point of my comments were exactly to get "out of line" of the storm, or suffer the consequences, the Tony inclusion was a mistake and quickly corrected.