MA
R
ragtop Offline OP
top fuel
ragtop  Offline OP
top fuel
R

MA
Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing? It was sitting outside for years. Could it be cleaned of rust good enough to trust it not to contaminate my new gears, or should I not take a chance and scrap it and buy a cleaner one? Thanks.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: ragtop] #3166132
08/06/23 10:58 PM
08/06/23 10:58 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Depending on the cost of a replacement there are several options.
Find a chemical stripper nearby with a tank big enough. Some machine shops have tanks for engine blocks, might be able to do 1/2 the housing at a time shruggy
Fill the housing with a "rust removal solution" . Google the term and lot's of possible homemade solutions beer

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: TJP] #3166140
08/06/23 11:26 PM
08/06/23 11:26 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
how about a large ball hone a drill and extention.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: stumpy] #3166144
08/06/23 11:52 PM
08/06/23 11:52 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Cleaning it out of the car is as easy as standing it upright and putting Evaporust inside the tubes one side at a time. You'd have to do a general degrease cleaning first and plug the ends. Blocks of wood bolted on with wheelbearing grease as a sealer on the brake backing plate flanges to keep the rust removal fluid from leaking out maybe?

In the car is harder. Possibly a large engine bore size cleaning brush and run it inside the tubes I guess would be good for knocking the majority of the loose stuff off. Wash it out with degreaser or solvent and blow it dry. The overlap seam part in the middle of the housing behind where the gears ride you want to keep clean somehow. Crud gets down in there and it's a battle to dig it all out. Anyone who has had a housing media blasted can relate.

Light surface rust it should clean up without too much effort. If it's dark scaly flakey type of rust with pitting too deep to get into it may need to come out and be dunked or soaked in something anyways.

If it's corroded to the point where the metal is potentially compromised you may just want to get a new housing and swap your parts over to it.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: stumpy] #3166148
08/07/23 12:26 AM
08/07/23 12:26 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
This method easily removed all rust from the exterior of an axle housing as shown in the photos with 6-7 gallons of Evapo-Rust. If there had been rust on the interior (there was none), it would have been removed also.

An easier way to remove just interior rust only would be to cap the ends of the housing with 2 x 6 scrap drilled with the bolt circle of the outboard flanges to bolt on the wood scrap with a gasket. Then fill the housing with under 5 gallons of Evapo-Rust after degreasing.

6. Making the negative deeper with concrete blocks.jpg10. Taco-ing the axle housing.jpg12. Open taco.jpg15. Pour in about 7 gallons of Evapo-Rust.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: kentj340] #3166152
08/07/23 12:38 AM
08/07/23 12:38 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Before and after.

Note condition of exterior bare metal in second photo, upper right corner, after applying paint stripper, paint thinner wash, phosphoric acid, and paint thinner wash. After painting, bare metal was coated with RPM wax.

As for the interior, just immediately wash off Evapo-Rust with paint thinner, and carefully inspect for debris around the heads of the hub bolts. Those same hub bolts may be available from AMKproducts.com if replacement needed.

03-12 Axle Housing.jpg03-12 Axle Housing2.jpg03-12 Axle Housing4.jpg03-12 Axle Housing5.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: kentj340] #3166172
08/07/23 08:47 AM
08/07/23 08:47 AM
MA
R
ragtop Offline OP
top fuel
ragtop  Offline OP
top fuel
R

MA
Originally Posted by kentj340
Before and after.

Note condition of exterior bare metal in second photo, upper right corner, after applying paint stripper, paint thinner wash, phosphoric acid, and paint thinner wash. After painting, bare metal was coated with RPM wax.

As for the interior, just immediately wash off Evapo-Rust with paint thinner, and carefully inspect for debris around the heads of the hub bolts. Those same hub bolts may be available from AMKproducts.com if replacement needed.

Nice job. Looks great. Thank you for all that info.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: ragtop] #3166185
08/07/23 09:47 AM
08/07/23 09:47 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
The outside and some of the inside can be sand blasted. Inside the tubes would be the hardest to reach so another means would have to be used.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: ragtop] #3166195
08/07/23 10:28 AM
08/07/23 10:28 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by ragtop
Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing? It was sitting outside for years. Could it be cleaned of rust good enough to trust it not to contaminate my new gears, or should I not take a chance and scrap it and buy a cleaner one? Thanks.

Make some caps for the ends and the coverchunk opening and fill it with evaporust ? Maybe make a tub lined with plastic sheeting and sumberge the entire thing ? Clean the oil off/out first.

kentj340 beat me too it .

Last edited by JohnRR; 08/07/23 10:30 AM.

running up my post count some more .
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: JohnRR] #3166257
08/07/23 01:35 PM
08/07/23 01:35 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Just find someone with a good caustic soda hot tank. Mine is 4x8 and ive dipped housings and they come out near like a new part in three days. Probably be easier and cheaper then your time and gallons of evap.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3166389
08/07/23 10:30 PM
08/07/23 10:30 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Just find someone with a good caustic soda hot tank. Mine is 4x8 and ive dipped housings and they come out near like a new part in three days. Probably be easier and cheaper then your time and gallons of evap.

up or a vinegar concoction in a large plastic bag, drum or ?

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: TJP] #3166396
08/07/23 11:51 PM
08/07/23 11:51 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by TJP

up or a vinegar concoction in a large plastic bag, drum or ?

Dollar Store has vinegar for $1.25 for a half gallon. Lowes has lye concentrate cheaper than anyone else I have found. Lye doesn't attack steel, vinegar does when left soaking for a few days.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: John Brown] #3166399
08/08/23 12:04 AM
08/08/23 12:04 AM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline
master
mopowers  Offline
master
M

Sac, CA
I'd go with granulated citric acid. Cap the ends and fill it up at 30:1 ratio. A 5 lb bag is enough for 18 gallons and should only cost around $20. It only takes a couple days for the rust to disappear. I recently soaked a deck lid and the results were great.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: mopowers] #3166432
08/08/23 07:47 AM
08/08/23 07:47 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
Electrolysis.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3166480
08/08/23 10:48 AM
08/08/23 10:48 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

That's hard to find in the northeast thanks to the EPA, there used to be a place with a big dip tank ... can't remember it nationwide chain ... that I had the frame to my 56 chevy dipped in back in the 80's

running up my post count some more .
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: JohnRR] #3166536
08/08/23 12:56 PM
08/08/23 12:56 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Evaporust is spendy. To reduce the amount needed for larger parts, or oddball shaped parts like spindles, I fill the voids of the container its going in with smooth river rocks so less fluid is needed.

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: JohnRR] #3166544
08/08/23 01:28 PM
08/08/23 01:28 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I had heard that many times and I bought a couple pallets of the pellets maybe 25 years ago or better and poured them into sealable plastic drums and just ration them as needed or when one of the heating elements go bad and ive got to drain some to replace. Not even sure what the pellets are but I treat them with care and a good mask. The thick bags of multi layer paper like simply said "Caustic Soda Pellets" nothing more. Since mine is more or less for personal use/friend use I mostly just add water and pellets when needed. It is killer for cast and steel but if I forget to pull a bearing or miss an aluminum part it eats them.

Ive given up on any local machine shops block/head cleaning as its substandard and then if they have to do it twice $100 to clean a block thats not really clean.... naa. Ive an old diesel fuel powered steam cleaner/blaster that does a better job. Its probably 50 years old and is not in the favor of the epa either.

Originally Posted by JohnRR

That's hard to find in the northeast thanks to the EPA, there used to be a place with a big dip tank ... can't remember it nationwide chain ... that I had the frame to my 56 chevy dipped in back in the 80's

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: mopowers] #3166594
08/08/23 03:56 PM
08/08/23 03:56 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Originally Posted by mopowers
I'd go with granulated citric acid. Cap the ends and fill it up at 30:1 ratio. A 5 lb bag is enough for 18 gallons and should only cost around $20. It only takes a couple days for the rust to disappear. I recently soaked a deck lid and the results were great.

I have never used citric acid for rust removal.

When I googled it I found these comments from chemistry.stackexchange

Long, long time ago I was employed to formulate rust removers for iron. We needed to be concerned with toxicity, corrosivity, cost, waste disposal, effectiveness, speed, damage to the (uncorroded) metal, and flash rusting (rapid rusting once cleaner is rinsed off).

Rust isn't just one chemical compound. It is generally hydrates of FeO
F
e
O
and Fe2O3
F
e
O
(and there are a bunch of them, even if you exclude hydroxides).

So, since different acids will have different effects with different chemicals, you won't necessarily be able to find the one magic bullet for any and all types of rust. The stronger the acid, the more metal will be attacked, unless passivation is used (there's two types chemical and electrical). Amines are also often used. Strong acids Hydrochloric, sulfuric, nitric, are all more aggressive than the weaker organic acids. Naval Jelly (which I was involved with) uses phosphoric acid, but as you noted, it coats the steel/iron. These mineral acids can be dangerous and can't just be thrown out when finished.

There are alternatives. One trick is to get the chloride, sulfate, or nitrate into solution by using a compound other than the acid. For instance, adding sodium chloride to a solution of citric acid should make the citric acid more aggressive, and yet, won't change the pH. (One reason for this is that FeCl3
FeCl3
is more soluble than the iron citrate.)
Hint: one reason citric acid works pretty well is because the salt it forms is more soluble than something like iron phosphate, so it leaves the surface allowing further attack.

Some de-icers use nitrate or calcium chloride which may also be effective, and of course some fertilizers use nitrates, too (even some for indoor plants). So, if you'd rather not work with the strong acids (unless you're a careful person, you shouldn't work with them), you could try that approach.

As far as I know, the only other acid commonly used for rust removal is oxalic acid.
I think Zud cleanser uses it, if you can find it. It's a poison, so don't be licking your fingers until you've washed them (yes, even assuming you DID wear gloves!). I don't think it is much better than citric acid. In fact, I'd guess it's worse in terms of rust removal.

Nitric acid will probably be difficult to find/buy.
Hydrochloric acid is available (last I looked) at Home Depot etc. (Look in cleaning products, drain cleaners, and cement cleaners).

Sulfuric acid, too. That is also used as battery acid, but I'm not sure if you can buy that at an auto parts store without the lead in it. Do not buy anything with lead in it! Do not use anything (like old battery acid) with lead (Pb) in it. Do not touch...you get the idea, right? Finally, look at a table of pKa values for the acids.

So, effectiveness will depend not only on acid strength, but on iron salt solubility.
Ideally, you want to avoid any oxidizing acid
(since that will dissolve (oxidize) the metal)
but in reality, a bit of metal loss helps get rid of that stubbornly clinging rust.

end quote

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: 360view] #3166607
08/08/23 05:08 PM
08/08/23 05:08 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline
master
mopowers  Offline
master
M

Sac, CA
Originally Posted by 360view
Originally Posted by mopowers

I have never used citric acid for rust removal.

When I googled it I found these comments from chemistry.stackexchange

Long, long time ago I was employed to formulate rust removers for iron. We needed to be concerned with toxicity, corrosivity, cost, waste disposal, effectiveness, speed, damage to the (uncorroded) metal, and flash rusting (rapid rusting once cleaner is rinsed off).

Rust isn't just one chemical compound. It is generally hydrates of FeO
F
e
O
and Fe2O3
F
e
O
(and there are a bunch of them, even if you exclude hydroxides).

So, since different acids will have different effects with different chemicals, you won't necessarily be able to find the one magic bullet for any and all types of rust. The stronger the acid, the more metal will be attacked, unless passivation is used (there's two types chemical and electrical). Amines are also often used. Strong acids Hydrochloric, sulfuric, nitric, are all more aggressive than the weaker organic acids. Naval Jelly (which I was involved with) uses phosphoric acid, but as you noted, it coats the steel/iron. These mineral acids can be dangerous and can't just be thrown out when finished.

There are alternatives. One trick is to get the chloride, sulfate, or nitrate into solution by using a compound other than the acid. For instance, adding sodium chloride to a solution of citric acid should make the citric acid more aggressive, and yet, won't change the pH. (One reason for this is that FeCl3
FeCl3
is more soluble than the iron citrate.)
Hint: one reason citric acid works pretty well is because the salt it forms is more soluble than something like iron phosphate, so it leaves the surface allowing further attack.

Some de-icers use nitrate or calcium chloride which may also be effective, and of course some fertilizers use nitrates, too (even some for indoor plants). So, if you'd rather not work with the strong acids (unless you're a careful person, you shouldn't work with them), you could try that approach.

As far as I know, the only other acid commonly used for rust removal is oxalic acid.
I think Zud cleanser uses it, if you can find it. It's a poison, so don't be licking your fingers until you've washed them (yes, even assuming you DID wear gloves!). I don't think it is much better than citric acid. In fact, I'd guess it's worse in terms of rust removal.

Nitric acid will probably be difficult to find/buy.
Hydrochloric acid is available (last I looked) at Home Depot etc. (Look in cleaning products, drain cleaners, and cement cleaners).

Sulfuric acid, too. That is also used as battery acid, but I'm not sure if you can buy that at an auto parts store without the lead in it. Do not buy anything with lead in it! Do not use anything (like old battery acid) with lead (Pb) in it. Do not touch...you get the idea, right? Finally, look at a table of pKa values for the acids.

So, effectiveness will depend not only on acid strength, but on iron salt solubility.
Ideally, you want to avoid any oxidizing acid
(since that will dissolve (oxidize) the metal)
but in reality, a bit of metal loss helps get rid of that stubbornly clinging rust.

end quote

Interesting info! All I know is the citric acid solution mixed at 30:1 worked great for the inner structure of my decklid, and was very cheap at about $1 a gallon. Here are some photos here:

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...reatment-decklid.530169/#post-1974376378

Re: Can rust be thoroughly cleaned from inside of axle housing [Re: mopowers] #3166726
08/09/23 07:22 AM
08/09/23 07:22 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Thanks.
I will try some citric acid on a rusty item.
Rust never Sleeps.
smile