Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I’m looking to add factory shoulder belts to my 69 GTX. People are doing increasingly stupid things on the roads here. I had them in my last 69 rr and felt better about being out on the highways, and that was before the extra dangerous stuff I see now. I picked up some of the modern three point belts that are supposed to fit into the factory mounts. I just can’t convince myself to use those since the rest of the car has correct parts/looks.

I’ve found a few bits and pieces here and there. My car has black buckets, my last car had a bench. That one had the strings and snap buttons. What caused a car to have those and not belts without them?

Anybody know what part numbers I need to be looking for? Some of what is out there has numbers on them.

I want my fair share
Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3160923
07/19/23 11:45 AM
07/19/23 11:45 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have been thinking about adding a modern type shoulder belt system to my 69 charger.
how "off" does the modern type belts look in your GTX ? they would look the same in my charger, or close, so a picture would give me an idea what my car would look like with them.
what outfit did you purchase them from ?
beer

Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: moparx] #3160931
07/19/23 11:59 AM
07/19/23 11:59 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
The '68-'69 B-bodies (I don't recall my '70) with shoulder belts had a male buckle at the sun visor for that belt; the female end clamps onto it. The snap & elastic was intended to keep tension on the belt when it wasn't being used to keep it close to the headliner.
The later/improved 3-belt integrated setup made that unnecessary.
A buddy has an aftermarket 3-point setup in his Dart, and it's pretty lame: big retractor, and uses a straight extension bracket to reach the OEM mounting at the rocker panel.
So, the retractor flops around, and I doubt that extension is sufficiently strong.
The retractor's too big, and it uses a GM-style buckle.
I've looked around on the web for a better aftermarket setup but haven't found anything that I know would fit properly and eliminate that extension.
Seems to me the best setup would be a later-model OEM 3-point with a smaller retractor, and likely relocating its mounting on the rocker.
If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: moparx] #3160944
07/19/23 12:15 PM
07/19/23 12:15 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by moparx
i have been thinking about adding a modern type shoulder belt system to my 69 charger.
how "off" does the modern type belts look in your GTX ? they would look the same in my charger, or close, so a picture would give me an idea what my car would look like with them.
beer

I can take a pic. Think it was the big seat belt company that does lots of cars. I used their rear belts to replace the missing ones in my car. Look good enough I think. The three point rig has a roll up retractor and in no way will look like the two separate belts of the factory. I grabbed them with the rear belts I had to have during the pandemic mess when things were extra hard to get. I liked they bolt into factory mounts.

I want my fair share
Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: topside] #3160951
07/19/23 12:18 PM
07/19/23 12:18 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by topside
The '68-'69 B-bodies (I don't recall my '70) with shoulder belts had a male buckle at the sun visor for that belt; the female end clamps onto it. The snap & elastic was intended to keep tension on the belt when it wasn't being used to keep it close to the headliner.
The later/improved 3-belt integrated setup made that unnecessary.
A buddy has an aftermarket 3-point setup in his Dart, and it's pretty lame: big retractor, and uses a straight extension bracket to reach the OEM mounting at the rocker panel.
So, the retractor flops around, and I doubt that extension is sufficiently strong.
The retractor's too big, and it uses a GM-style buckle.
I've looked around on the web for a better aftermarket setup but haven't found anything that I know would fit properly and eliminate that extension.
Seems to me the best setup would be a later-model OEM 3-point with a smaller retractor, and likely relocating its mounting on the rocker.
If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

That’s the deal, belt plugs in at visor. There are quite a few belts for sale that do not have the string. How do you figure out what you should have? Did the bench seat cars need a longer belt so that created the string situation?

I want my fair share
Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3160998
07/19/23 01:05 PM
07/19/23 01:05 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Here’s a 68 with buckets car. Has snaps but no string. High level resto, scored near 1000 points. I checked my pics and the ones I have don’t show the belts with strings on my bench seat car. It had original stuff all Latinos the same and factory installed headliner. I’m sure it was all factory.

IMG_0276.png

I want my fair share
Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3161004
07/19/23 01:17 PM
07/19/23 01:17 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
All of my '68-'69 Bs that I can recall (coupes & HTs) had the elastic strap, which were almost always stretched out after a few years.
I don't recall my bucket seat cars being different from the bench cars: attachments are in the same place, whether in use or not, as I recall.
My original, 17,000-mile, bench RR coupe has the elastic, and it's still tight. I don't think they've ever been used.
My restored '68 bench RR coupe with restored belts has no elastic, but a snap at the tail (folded & stitched into a triangle shape) to secure the shoulder belt's tail.
I think availability of the correct elastic straps (and/or maybe avoiding complaints of fit/sagging) might be the reason those were done that way.

Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3161301
07/20/23 12:24 PM
07/20/23 12:24 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by moparx
beer

I can take a pic. Think it was the big seat belt company that does lots of cars. I used their rear belts to replace the missing ones in my car. Look good enough I think. The three point rig has a roll up retractor and in no way will look like the two separate belts of the factory. I grabbed them with the rear belts I had to have during the pandemic mess when things were extra hard to get. I liked they bolt into factory mounts.

a picture would be great. up
beer

Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: moparx] #3161340
07/20/23 02:46 PM
07/20/23 02:46 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline OP
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline OP
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Here you go. I might be cutting this set loose if I can gather all the parts for the oem deal.

IMG_1256.jpeg

I want my fair share
Re: How to determine correct shoulder belts in 69 b body? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3161608
07/21/23 12:24 PM
07/21/23 12:24 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
too bad those aren't dark brown ! frown
beer