ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I typically don't buy the lower line/grade from anybody.
I've been an auto mechanic since the late 80s, having done more suspension/brakes than anything else over the years.
But with buyouts and this BS "global economy" crap, I've lost touch with "who's good".
I have never had much luck with Monroe or KYB, Bilstein has been pretty good if I'm spending someone else's money, on my own stuff I've actually had the best luck with Gabriel.
Gabriel used to be the most popular, as in whether you bought sears road handler, car quest
"Bruiser", or private label Firestone they were all Gabriel. Monroe's were always "available" but never seemed to last.
You were guaranteed to have to replace them again down the road.
Currently we have to buy from Napa for anything that I buy for at work and even their "best" seem to be good for only about a year. Napa shocks are currently mostly Monroe.
How about rancho? I know they are made by the same parent company as Monroe.
Nobody in town sells Gabriel anymore, but rock auto still has em. As well as all the other brands.
Anyone ever hear of PRT or Sensen? I sure haven't.

Currently looking for replacements for my 12 ram 1500 2wd/reg cab long bed. At 120k the originals are definitely shot. And factory Mopar is priced out of the market.
I'll be shopping rock auto since they're priced at 1/2 of what I can get local for same- brand except for the Mopar ones which I ain't buying anyway.
It's probably gonna be between the Gabriel ultra or the rancho.

Related question what's the hubbub about 'monotube" vs "twin tube" designs?

Re: Who's the go to these days for shocks? [Re: volaredon] #3156075
07/01/23 10:40 PM
07/01/23 10:40 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Nobody, huh?

Re: Who's the go to these days for shocks? [Re: volaredon] #3156128
07/02/23 08:42 AM
07/02/23 08:42 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
I have Rancho 5000's on my truck since i got it(on the second pair now) They are ok but i will go with Bilstein next time i replace shocks. Depends on what you drive and the road conditions. Here the roads are worse than "off road". They replace roads that are really not that bad and do nothing to the ones that desperately need it. They paint new lines on roads with tons of patches and cracks. Also replace the curb's and walkways instead of the road surface. Typical waste of the tax payers dollar. realcrazy

link

Re: Who's the go to these days for shocks? [Re: Moparite] #3156149
07/02/23 10:30 AM
07/02/23 10:30 AM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Originally Posted by Moparite
I have Rancho 5000's on my truck since i got it(on the second pair now) They are ok but i will go with Bilstein next time i replace shocks. Depends on what you drive and the road conditions. Here the roads are worse than "off road". They replace roads that are really not that bad and do nothing to the ones that desperately need it. They paint new lines on roads with tons of patches and cracks. Also replace the curb's and walkways instead of the road surface. Typical waste of the tax payers dollar. realcrazy

link

Sounds like you must also be from Illinois with your description of how they decide which roads get attention and which don't.

I ended up getting the ranchos, I've put those on for customers before but have never tried them myself on my own rides before. For me it was between those and the tried and true Gabriel ultra's. In this case I need them for a 12 ram 1500 2wd. Basically a former Fastenal truck. I do pull a camper with it a few times a year, usually from 75-200 miles per trip, alot of "commuting" type driving and some Menards runs. I noticed last time I pulled the camper how bad the originals are, but the back end is bottoming out even with no trailer and an empty bed.
I also just spent the money on new michelins which cost me more for 2 than I have ever spent for 4 tires in the past. (And these aren't my 1st michelins over the years)

And a PSA PLEASE GET RID OF THE DAMN INFO LINKS! I have ad blockers and even "Duck Duck Go" which worked for a few months but they're getting past those once again. I DON'T come to Moparts for ads!!!!!

Re: Who's the go to these days for shocks? [Re: volaredon] #3156150
07/02/23 10:33 AM
07/02/23 10:33 AM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
And what would have been the difference had I gotten the mono tube style besides costing more? (Not knocking that aspect, there may well be something better about them that would justify that added expense, I don't know)

Re: Who's the go to these days for shocks? [Re: volaredon] #3156449
07/03/23 09:46 AM
07/03/23 09:46 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
Duck duck go, Think about this before you down load it! I'm sure you herd the commercials for it but who do you think is paying for them? It collects data where you been and sells that info that's who. Get rid of it and use adblock plus.

Re: Who's the go to these days for shocks? [Re: Moparite] #3156548
07/03/23 01:33 PM
07/03/23 01:33 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline OP
top fuel
volaredon  Offline OP
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I've got another ad block in my phone as well. I forget who. But these damned ads have come back with a vengeance