04/04/23 09:37 AM
04/04/23 09:37 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline OP
master
Streetwize  Offline OP
master

Weddington, N.C.
The 557 thread and discussion about airflow had me thinking about something we discussed on this thread many years ago.

To me Airflow cfm on a flowbench alone is a great tool when you think of CFM...but really in that it's simply a rate of flow in one direction at a standard pressure Of course its an effective tool for measuring total flow comparing one head relative to another....but it's really so much more than that.

Bench flow doesn't take into account (for example) the relative pressure (positive or negative) in the manifold at any given moment in a running engine or the effects of reversion or overlap and (also) the effect of the volume of the incoming charge REDUCING (pushing back) the instant the piston starts to move up from BDC on the intake stroke. This is why the mass and velocity of the intake charge "ramming" into the cylinder can effectively cause a supercharging effect.

More on that some other time..... but I acquired a lot of insight from a conversation with David Vizard about this. smoke

But I'm sure a lot of Engine gurus have software programs and databases that simulate some if not all of these conditions, probably more from trial and error or for tuning and cam and manifold selection for a specific rpm range or racing condition.

For Example If the engine has 240 degrees of actual "off the seat" (lets call it @.050) duration, each valve is open almost exactly (720/240) = 20 seconds for each minute the engine is running...and that is (if you think about it) regardless of RPM. It also brings into perspective where in the rpm range you want to maximize efficiency (torque or 'packing the holes').

If it's say 270 degrees, the valve is open 22.5 seconds per minute. So in terms of port flow, the valve spends 1/2 of it's total duration only open between 1/3 open and 2/3 of peak. The rest is the ramp up, the ramp down and the 2/3 to peak and back to 2/3.

This is to me a good illustration of how little time there is to fill the hole....and that each intake valve is closed much more than 1/2 the time.

But if you examine the flow and you extrapolate the info here as a means of comparing heads.....it's an interesting way to look at it when you think about where the valve/airflow potential is relative to where the piston is in it's cycle; so a head that flows more at peak might not be as good as the head that flows a bit better between the 1/3 and 2/3 when you consider the amount of actual time that lift is filling (or emptying) the hole. And filling is relative to piston position/compression, intake charge, etc. I think guys who dominate stock and super stock classes understand this (or at least a particular head) better than most of us.

I recently did a lot of reading about the 1930's Auto Union and Mercedes Grand prix engine development which I found fascinating, I guess all this was in my head a while and the 557 thread got me thinking about it more.

I wrote this just in hope of inspiring some deeper thought about power production, I've always been more of a street strip type builder which in a way is more like a road race engine than a pure drag motor that is never below WOT and hopefully never much below 90% ve/torque peak.

Let the games begin....

Last edited by Streetwize; 04/04/23 02:44 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3134997
04/04/23 09:53 AM
04/04/23 09:53 AM
Out of the State of Confusion
blue_stocker Offline
pro stock
blue_stocker  Offline
pro stock

Out of the State of Confusion
Good points and how many times have I read Mr Porter mention the 'middle numbers' or the 'lower numbers' being more important/relevant than actual peak numbers on the flow bench in regards to cylinder head (cfm) flow?! Mr Vizard (the Wizard), has some very interesting areas in which he has done a tremendous amount of research and work, regardless if it's brand X or Ford and his information is occasionally quite the opposite than that of many so-called experts, but then again...it is still relevant to the engine combination and not cookie-cutter builds?!? Good points Wise...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Freedom must be repurchased by every new generation
General Daniel Jones, WW2 Tuskegee Airmen
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3135038
04/04/23 12:00 PM
04/04/23 12:00 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I'm working on some Ford engines these days so I'm paying more attention to Kaase than I have before. Kaase doesn't put a lot of value on flow bench information because of the fact that a lot of heads with great flow numbers don't make power. He has some great examples of why that is on his website and in his interviews. Has a lot to do with the direction that the airflow is pointed.

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: AndyF] #3135061
04/04/23 12:39 PM
04/04/23 12:39 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Neil] #3135085
04/04/23 01:50 PM
04/04/23 01:50 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline OP
master
Streetwize  Offline OP
master

Weddington, N.C.
Good replies so far, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

I was always fascinated, even back in the 70's, how Stock eliminator cars could continuously break the index with heads that either on paper or on a flowbench 'won't fall out of a tree'.

There is a lot more to where the head is flowing and where the piston is WHEN ITS FLOWING that determine how hard the mix gets squeezed and turns it into work propelling the car.

Last edited by Streetwize; 04/04/23 02:42 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3135098
04/04/23 02:08 PM
04/04/23 02:08 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

It’s always fun explaining to a customer that if you get him 15 more cfm@.300 it means more than 30 more at .700. Especially when he’s running a .550 lift cam.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: AndyF] #3135164
04/04/23 03:14 PM
04/04/23 03:14 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by AndyF
I'm working on some Ford engines these days so I'm paying more attention to Kaase than I have before. Kaase doesn't put a lot of value on flow bench information because of the fact that a lot of heads with great flow numbers don't make power. He has some great examples of why that is on his website and in his interviews. Has a lot to do with the direction that the airflow is pointed.

Kaase had some interesting insights on the Total Seal video on Youtube with Lake Speed Jr.

One of the things he mentioned was the airflow going in the opposite direction in the intake of what you would think it would. He did an experiment where he cut a hole in the intake and his finger was pushed upward by the forces and it was pushed harder has rpm increased to the point they didn't want to break their finger!

He also made the point the steel headers get a significant amount of rust in them after sitting just a few days. Even in a climate controlled environment! His point was at low rpm it sucks the rust back up into the cylinder when starting, goes past the valves and even ends up as high as the intake! His suggestion was to rev the engine on startup rather than idle so it doesn't suck rust into the engine. When asked about this being hard on the engine, his response was "if you rev the engine at startup and it comes apart, you have bigger issues!"

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3135372
04/04/23 06:50 PM
04/04/23 06:50 PM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
Just from my experience, dedicated amateur, owned a flow bench 25 years. Sometimes more important is the speed of the air on the short side radius. If you have good flow and the speed at the short side 28 inches depression and the speed is just below 400 FPS The heads usually make power. And as mentioned flow bench is steady state and an engine is pulsing flow and a lot more than 28 inches for some of the intake and exhaust events. While I always record for comparison flow at 28 inches, at maximum lift I crank up the bench as high as it will go just to see if too much turbulence happens on the short side radius. Most heads I can pull to 35 inches which is where my data sampler stops working. If it starts laying down at thew higher flow I go back and lower the speed on the short side. I always use a piece of string attached to a welding rod to watch how the air moves around the port as well. If you grind material where the flow is straight and smooth the heads almost always pickup.

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3135513
04/05/23 09:05 AM
04/05/23 09:05 AM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
Very interesting thread. Couple things i find really interesting : Airflow testing is done primarily dry. Velocities and Volumes change not only with lift, duration etc but also with humidity,temps, fuel loading, change of state of fuel =mixture and where in the airflow fuel loading takes place. Porter/Vizard/Kaase/Shaw and others have touched on this some but, i personally have seen nothing exhaustive on it and, its fascinating to me.
I would love to see some "live" flow data on port injection and what happens to air flow when suddenly running into/picking up high density fuel from injectors .
Airflow is,,, difficult. Even in hvac its difficult and,,,,odd. Return air is more efficient with flew, air supply is far more efficient with hard duct and, all airflow is effected by humidity, particulate.
I have a friend that specializes in filtration/ hvac airflow as well as filtration for extraction of precious metals in industry all the way down to your local jeweler that does jewel repair, custom work - you would be amazed how much gold, silver, platinum etc is extracted from air filtration at a even places that make gold and silver crowns for teeth! At any rate, its a critical area in industry down to jewelry and dentistry and "airflow loading " is a really big subject . He finds our world very interesting as with N/A we are dealing with fuel "change of state" and that change of state has a direct effect on velocity and flow numbers. add to that reversion, time, lifts etc and- well, its an amazing subject.

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: RustyM] #3135522
04/05/23 09:40 AM
04/05/23 09:40 AM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
The other concept to try and understand in a running engine is that air has mass, it weighs something and anything with mass has inertia. So when the valve opens air begins to move it wants to keep moving and when the valve closes the air piles up behind it. this is main cause of the pressure waves in an engine. Controlling these pressure waves and timing them correctly is how race engines obtain more than 100% volumetric efficiency. Lot of mechanics are using vacuum transducers with a scope to diagnose engines with these pulses. You can even pickup out of time camshafts if you are good. The red lines are when the injectors fire, the black lines are the pulses in the intake manifold. Notice how even the vacuum pulses are in a good running engine. If the engine has problems the vacuum wave forms will be disturbed. Older vehicles you would just take a compression test but newer cars sometimes this takes a lot of work. You can hook up a transducer in the intake or tailpipe in just a couple minutes.

vacuum transducer.jpg
Last edited by jwb123; 04/05/23 09:46 AM.
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: jwb123] #3135557
04/05/23 11:38 AM
04/05/23 11:38 AM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
JWB: That is very interesting. One of the data channels i monitor is engine vacuum. Monitoring vacuum over a run allows me to see if we are developing upper end issues as well as others.
This seems much better , could be really useful with tuning, monitoring .
Hmmm, wonder what is required in order to get this data .

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: RustyM] #3135586
04/05/23 12:49 PM
04/05/23 12:49 PM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
Originally Posted by RustyM
JWB: That is very interesting. One of the data channels i monitor is engine vacuum. Monitoring vacuum over a run allows me to see if we are developing upper end issues as well as others.
This seems much better , could be really useful with tuning, monitoring .
Hmmm, wonder what is required in order to get this data .

A transducer I used the first look, https://autoditex.com/page/pressure-pulse-sensor-63-1.html#:~:text=The%20First%20look%20Pulse%20Sensor%20is%20designed%20to,changes%20in%20pressure%20from%20the%20recent%20average%20pressure.
and a digital storage oscilloscope of your choice. We used to use a https://www.picotech.com/products/oscilloscope

I liked the pico because it would run on about any lap top, and I could project the images on the wall for the students to see with a common digital projector.

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: jwb123] #3135593
04/05/23 01:04 PM
04/05/23 01:04 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by jwb123
The other concept to try and understand in a running engine is that air has mass, it weighs something and anything with mass has inertia. So when the valve opens air begins to move it wants to keep moving and when the valve closes the air piles up behind it. this is main cause of the pressure waves in an engine. Controlling these pressure waves and timing them correctly is how race engines obtain more than 100% volumetric efficiency. Lot of mechanics are using vacuum transducers with a scope to diagnose engines with these pulses. You can even pickup out of time camshafts if you are good. The red lines are when the injectors fire, the black lines are the pulses in the intake manifold. Notice how even the vacuum pulses are in a good running engine. If the engine has problems the vacuum wave forms will be disturbed. Older vehicles you would just take a compression test but newer cars sometimes this takes a lot of work. You can hook up a transducer in the intake or tailpipe in just a couple minutes.

How would one use this information to work with fuel injector timing? My car has a big solid roller cam with lots of overlap. I would like to be able to optimize the fuel injector timing to prevent fuel blowback in the manifold at low RPM. I have struggled with a good way to wrap my head around the numbers I would need to key in. Moving injector timing around doesn't seem to do much for how the engine runs at low RPM. But maybe using map sensor data and cam specs somebody could figure out when to fire the injector.

My car has port EFI but the manifold is dirty and fuel stained in the plenum like it had a carb. Presumably from the fuel blowback from overlap at low RPM. I would think some efficiency and maybe some power could be gained by optimizing injector timing.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Bad340fish] #3135602
04/05/23 01:30 PM
04/05/23 01:30 PM
Lake Villa Il
INTMD8 Offline
super stock
INTMD8  Offline
super stock

Lake Villa Il

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 650rwhp @7250 510rwtq @5700
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3135624
04/05/23 02:10 PM
04/05/23 02:10 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
The crankshaft rotational point and the amplitude of maximum vacuum from piston motion varies with:
1. connecting rod to stroke ratio
2. compression ratio
3, buffer volume upstream of the intake valve including intake port, manifold runner, plenum, etc.
4. buffer volume of exhaust gas remaining in the chamber from overlap
5. overlap triangle area (Vizard: the area is roughly proportionate to the square of the nominal duration)

Are these factors quantified, and blended into the prediction as contributors to spikes?

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: polyspheric] #3135639
04/05/23 02:41 PM
04/05/23 02:41 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by polyspheric
The crankshaft rotational point and the amplitude of maximum vacuum from piston motion varies with:
1. connecting rod to stroke ratio
2. compression ratio
3, buffer volume upstream of the intake valve including intake port, manifold runner, plenum, etc.
4. buffer volume of exhaust gas remaining in the chamber from overlap
5. overlap triangle area (Vizard: the area is roughly proportionate to the square of the nominal duration)

Are these factors quantified, and blended into the prediction as contributors to spikes?

running up my post count some more .
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Streetwize] #3135649
04/05/23 03:10 PM
04/05/23 03:10 PM
northern,Ohio,USA
C
Clanton Offline
master
Clanton  Offline
master
C

northern,Ohio,USA
I was going to suggest a community engine build on paper to educate many of us on the related information and how to come up with the answers.I know it is very invalved with intalke volume,length,optimal vacuum at what crank angle... Thank you for the topic as you have posted!very interesting.
Originally Posted by Streetwize
The 557 thread and discussion about airflow had me thinking about something we discussed on this thread many years ago.

To me Airflow cfm on a flowbench alone is a great tool when you think of CFM...but really in that it's simply a rate of flow in one direction at a standard pressure Of course its an effective tool for measuring total flow comparing one head relative to another....but it's really so much more than that.

Bench flow doesn't take into account (for example) the relative pressure (positive or negative) in the manifold at any given moment in a running engine or the effects of reversion or overlap and (also) the effect of the volume of the incoming charge REDUCING (pushing back) the instant the piston starts to move up from BDC on the intake stroke. This is why the mass and velocity of the intake charge "ramming" into the cylinder can effectively cause a supercharging effect.

More on that some other time..... but I acquired a lot of insight from a conversation with David Vizard about this. smoke

But I'm sure a lot of Engine gurus have software programs and databases that simulate some if not all of these conditions, probably more from trial and error or for tuning and cam and manifold selection for a specific rpm range or racing condition.

For Example If the engine has 240 degrees of actual "off the seat" (lets call it @.050) duration, each valve is open almost exactly (720/240) = 20 seconds for each minute the engine is running...and that is (if you think about it) regardless of RPM. It also brings into perspective where in the rpm range you want to maximize efficiency (torque or 'packing the holes').

If it's say 270 degrees, the valve is open 22.5 seconds per minute. So in terms of port flow, the valve spends 1/2 of it's total duration only open between 1/3 open and 2/3 of peak. The rest is the ramp up, the ramp down and the 2/3 to peak and back to 2/3.

This is to me a good illustration of how little time there is to fill the hole....and that each intake valve is closed much more than 1/2 the time.

But if you examine the flow and you extrapolate the info here as a means of comparing heads.....it's an interesting way to look at it when you think about where the valve/airflow potential is relative to where the piston is in it's cycle; so a head that flows more at peak might not be as good as the head that flows a bit better between the 1/3 and 2/3 when you consider the amount of actual time that lift is filling (or emptying) the hole. And filling is relative to piston position/compression, intake charge, etc. I think guys who dominate stock and super stock classes understand this (or at least a particular head) better than most of us.

I recently did a lot of reading about the 1930's Auto Union and Mercedes Grand prix engine development which I found fascinating, I guess all this was in my head a while and the 557 thread got me thinking about it more.

I wrote this just in hope of inspiring some deeper thought about power production, I've always been more of a street strip type builder which in a way is more like a road race engine than a pure drag motor that is never below WOT and hopefully never much below 90% ve/torque peak.

Let the games begin....

Last edited by Clanton; 04/05/23 03:11 PM.

GOTBOOST!New improved with Victor heads.
http://www.enginelabs.com/mopar-big-bloc...t-of-necessity/
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Bad340fish] #3135650
04/05/23 03:12 PM
04/05/23 03:12 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by Bad340fish

How would one use this information to work with fuel injector timing? My car has a big solid roller cam with lots of overlap. I would like to be able to optimize the fuel injector timing to prevent fuel blowback in the manifold at low RPM. I have struggled with a good way to wrap my head around the numbers I would need to key in. Moving injector timing around doesn't seem to do much for how the engine runs at low RPM. But maybe using map sensor data and cam specs somebody could figure out when to fire the injector.

My car has port EFI but the manifold is dirty and fuel stained in the plenum like it had a carb. Presumably from the fuel blowback from overlap at low RPM. I would think some efficiency and maybe some power could be gained by optimizing injector timing.

Fuel injector timing could be a thread of its own but basically what you want to do is squirt the fuel into the runner when the intake valve is open and the piston is moving down in the hole. Holley EFI works off of BTDC so I type in -90 for the end of the injection shot at idle. So that means that the injection shot ends when the piston is roughly half way down and close to max speed.

Injection timing doesn't matter much at higher speeds since the injectors are open most of the time but it can be critical at idle. If the injector timing is wrong at idle then the engine will barely run.

Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: AndyF] #3135753
04/05/23 08:40 PM
04/05/23 08:40 PM
Sticky South
R
Rodenteliminator Offline
Rodenteliminator  Offline
R

Sticky South
I am watching this thread with great interest for the different thoughts and approaches, as jwb mentioned as to what the air does when it meets the fuel charge which would be relevant to injector position in the runner and angle, and as poly said where the rod length and stroke / piston speed affects how the charge fills the cylinder. My 440-1 heads have a mild port job but nothing wild but it exceeded expectations on the dyno on my low deck 540 and not a real wild camshaft, so I am curious about the how and why. Doug

Sorry honey I spent the rent
Re: Analyzing Airflow... Actual Engine Vs.Flowbench [Re: Bad340fish] #3135775
04/05/23 10:16 PM
04/05/23 10:16 PM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
Originally Posted by Bad340fish

You could use one channel to give pressures in the cylinder, one channel to show when the injector fired, and a third channel to show ignition. They sell a degree overlay for the scope so all these events will be in relation to crankshaft degrees of rotation.
https://www.picoauto.com/library/training/compression-testing#:~:text=The%20rotation%20rulers%20are%20used%20to%20denote%200,degrees%20of%20crankshaft%20rotation%20relative%20to%20TDC%2Fpeak%20compression.