Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Nukechargerboy] #3134651
04/03/23 07:09 AM
04/03/23 07:09 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline OP

Originally Posted by Nukechargerboy
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
It is 100% true. Retention of good customers is king. It's emphasized every day across the company. Your insurer canceled your auto insurance because of you son's driving record. They don't care about keeping your homeowner's insurance because that's not much of a money maker for them.

So paying right around $7000 a year for their coverage for over 5 years wasn't enough? Insurance is a scam. It's when they have to pay out where they put you on assigned risk and screw you. Wreck a car, now we want your balls. SCAM! Plus they didn't care they were charging me for a car that was covered elsewhere.

A few questions so that I can respond accurately:

- You were paying $7,000/year combined for home/auto?
- After your auto was canceled, you went into the assigned risk pool?
- How did they manage to insure a car that you had already insured with another company?
- How much were the payouts on your son's claims?

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3134835
04/03/23 05:48 PM
04/03/23 05:48 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
Originally Posted by Nukechargerboy
It is 100% true. Retention of good customers is king. It's emphasized every day across the company. Your insurer canceled your auto insurance because of you son's driving record. They don't care about keeping your homeowner's insurance because that's not much of a money maker for them.

So paying right around $7000 a year for their coverage for over 5 years wasn't enough? Insurance is a scam. It's when they have to pay out where they put you on assigned risk and screw you. Wreck a car, now we want your balls. SCAM! Plus they didn't care they were charging me for a car that was covered elsewhere.

A few questions so that I can respond accurately:

- You were paying $7,000/year combined for home/auto?
- After your auto was canceled, you went into the assigned risk pool?
- How did they manage to insure a car that you had already insured with another company?
- How much were the payouts on your son's claims?

$7000 is a rough estimate for four cars, 2018 RDX, 2021 RX-350, 2019 MDX and a 2011 MDX. Two drivers under 22. Homeowners comes with the mortgage. Charger is with Hagerty. The 2018 RDX was replaced with a 2020 RDX, which I paid off with the settlement.

I'm not swimming in the pool yet, couldn't come up with another term after we got the notice.

I would like to know how they continued to charge me when i sent them the plate surrender form. I wasn't getting the mail 1400 miles away. USAA was my provider in Arkansas because Hanover isn't licensed there. $1960 a year.

The payout was about 21,565. The jeep was $2000. Had I known what happened I would have paid out of pocket, he didn't realize he did it. It's moot anyway because all of the cars are titled in my name. Except the 19 MDX.

Last edited by Nukechargerboy; 04/03/23 05:49 PM.
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3134938
04/03/23 11:30 PM
04/03/23 11:30 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
MI car insurance is high because of uncapped PIP coverage and their very unusual no-fault laws.

I thought our governator changed that about 2 years ago?? No longer unlimited medical - just like all other states now???

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: 71TA] #3134940
04/03/23 11:47 PM
04/03/23 11:47 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by 71TA
MI car insurance is high because of uncapped PIP coverage and their very unusual no-fault laws.

You aint telling me anythiung new! I pay like $8000 on 4 vehicles!!!!!!!!!!! We're 61, 61 and 23.
21 Ram 1500
21 Blazer
21 Ranger
17 Ram 2500

These aren't Ferraris or Rovers!

Over $1000 of that is paying for "uninsured motorists". And an uninsured motorist can actually sue YOU if you get in an accident with one of them. Is that nuts or what? This state really is a DISASTER. Did I mention the vast majority of the people in Detroit (and probably every other bigger city in MI) aren't insured. How is that even possible!?!?! I guess laws are only for law abiding people.

Right across the border in Ohio, 60 miles away, insurance is HALF what MI pays.

James, give Grundy a call. They are AIG Insurance. Trust me - call them. We have 3 "driver" vehicles insured, and our 2016 Challenger Scat Pack, and two Cudas. I think I'm paying around $4200.00 a year.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Sunroofcuda] #3134962
04/04/23 07:09 AM
04/04/23 07:09 AM
not_a_charger Offline OP
not_a_charger  Offline OP

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

I thought our governator changed that about 2 years ago?? No longer unlimited medical - just like all other states now???

It's still available, just optional. Definitely an improvement over the old law, but the affects of the old law will linger for a long time.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: not_a_charger] #3140876
04/26/23 04:09 PM
04/26/23 04:09 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
This is a great year to shop for home and auto insurance, especially if you have one of the major carriers. 9 of the top 10 carriers lost money last year, and some of them lost a LOT of money. As a result, they are raising rates. Several smaller carriers and regional carriers did pretty well last year, as did the #2 auto insurer. It is worth shopping around, especially if you are getting whacked with an increase despite not having any claims, tickets, etc.

My home insurance went up 35%, and my auto went up 13%. Combined, I was going to be paying $3,585. I switched companies and will now be paying $2,194 combined, a 39% difference. This is for exactly the same amount of liability coverage, same value on my house, replacement cost coverage, same comp/collision deductibles on my cars, etc. Zero coverage changes at all.

The nine top 10 carriers that lost money last year are not going to be in a position to lower or stabilize rates for a while. Most of them aren't very good at underwriting in the first place. The exception here is Geico. Like Progressive, Geico is good at underwriting (not quite as good as Progressive, but good). Geico's being hurt by an increase in claim handling costs. Theirs have spiked significantly. This is not how much they pay out on a claim, but rather the expense involved in handling the claim. They are usually the best in the industry and controlling this cost, but they have cratered in that regard.

It's worth looking around. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good call My car went up 13% Truck 8% house 23.7% so just under 20% total. My total cost is still only $2321 so hard to change for that.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: second 70] #3164594
07/31/23 04:21 PM
07/31/23 04:21 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Had to bring this back up. I had been with Am Fam for 28 years. last year they jumped my homeowners premium 35% . This I was told was due to a
due to a claim for a leaky dishwasher that took out the kitchen floor. So I jumped ship to an independent my sister uses that was a total flake IMO.
He set me up with nationwide. I'm not even going to mention the jerk around on the business policy that evolved so we'll just stay with the cars and home policies. My renewal rates just came in flame๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ˜ก

Auto 1121.36 to 1331.0 +19.6% [u]That's with the purported 35-40% Smart Drive ๐Ÿ’ฉ discount. W/O the actual increase is closer to 60%
House 1867.62 to 3405.57 +82.4
totals 3178.66 to 4939.36 +55.39%

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: TJP] #3165171
08/02/23 06:58 PM
08/02/23 06:58 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I also need to jump on here again. Found out that AAA used a picture of the tarp over our new garage during a summer rainstorm to claim we were behind on deferred maintenance to cancel us. Got that straightened out, BUT found out in the process that we had been woefully underinsured for 25 years due to incorrect information that we NEVER saw. Bathroom count was wrong, number of corners was wrong, bedroom sizes wrong, HVAC system wrong (never mind that every house built in the San Joaquin Valley wince the 1960s has central heat and air and our house was built in 1980), exterior material was wrong, flooring was wrong, etc. So, the premium went up, but we also added garage square feet and fixed the errors. So, I guess since we were underinsured all that time and didn't have a claim we actually came out ahead, but that's a gamble I wouldn't take willingly.

Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Jim_Lusk] #3165177
08/02/23 07:45 PM
08/02/23 07:45 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Wow. Just wow. We have the following insured for $250,000/$500,000, liability only:

2012 Tribeca
2010 Dodge 2500 Cummins
1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins
1975 International 1700 dump truck
1967 Belvedere

Total for a year is right at $1000.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Suggestion from your friendly neighborhood insurance guy [Re: Jim_Lusk] #3165203
08/02/23 09:43 PM
08/02/23 09:43 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I also need to jump on here again. Found out that AAA used a picture of the tarp over our new garage during a summer rainstorm to claim we were behind on deferred maintenance to cancel us. Got that straightened out, BUT found out in the process that we had been woefully underinsured for 25 years due to incorrect information that we NEVER saw. Bathroom count was wrong, number of corners was wrong, bedroom sizes wrong, HVAC system wrong (never mind that every house built in the San Joaquin Valley wince the 1960s has central heat and air and our house was built in 1980), exterior material was wrong, flooring was wrong, etc. So, the premium went up, but we also added garage square feet and fixed the errors. So, I guess since we were underinsured all that time and didn't have a claim we actually came out ahead, but that's a gamble I wouldn't take willingly.

I'm going through a bit of that right now. Not so much on the house or cars but with the business policy the same agent wrote. I have switched agents and they are going over everything. The business policy did not cover customers cars eek eek as I was told it did. Many unscrupulous agents will cut things to sell you a policy down

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4