central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.

I'm retiring in 20 days from the power company after 44 1/2 years. I'm very thankful to have been taught very early on as a young lineman to watch out for the Ding Dongs with rigged up generators. After the big ice storm right before Christmas in Tulsa, OK in 2007, one of said Ding Dongs dumbassed his disconnect procedure on his huge portable generator when we got the power to his street back on. He forgot to disconnect his generator before he flipped his main breaker back on. He was back feeding the panel with another breaker below the main. It went KABOOMYOW right in hs face, blew up his panel, backfed onto the energized power lines and burnt all of the backlot lines that fed his house and 9 others. After a week of being without power, they had to be out another night because we had to quit in time to drive back to NW Arkansas where our hotel rooms were. One of the lineman came over the radio and said "At least we will be able to get a truck to the pole tomorrow. His neighbors are gonna burn his house down tonight and we can back the bucket truck across the slab and reach the pole!" laugh2
Thank you to the OP, who intends to do it right! up [/quote]

I'm too a retired lineman and your story reminds me of one we had happen in an ice storm. Overhead service was broke and laying on ground. Transformer and circuit was dead. No generator. We were attaching service back on house with the pole end still on the ground and were getting shocked on the neutral. What the heck??? It was in a crappy old neighborhood with trash everywhere. Low and behold the genius ran an extension cord under the trash from neighbors basement window to his basement window and hooked up his furnace fan. He hooked it up backwards and had the neutral hot casing us to get shocked. Luckily no one got hurt! And really lucky it was backward so we found it or otherwise someone could have got killed when it backfeed the transformer when we hooked it up.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: Powerflow] #3128738
03/12/23 12:38 PM
03/12/23 12:38 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
This is the Generac manual transfer switch I use, totally isolates the generator from the utility.

Generac.jpg

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Whole House Generator [Re: Fat_Mike] #3128757
03/12/23 01:26 PM
03/12/23 01:26 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Originally Posted by Sniper
Not sure what manual switch you are thinking of, but a properly installed and used one will only connect the house to the generator or to utility but not both at once. The only thing manual about it is that you have to throw the switch rather than pay a lot more for one that will throw it for you.

There are several ways to connect a manual switch. If not used properly, it creates a potentially deadly situation for others. It's not worth taking the chance that someone may not perform that one important step! Automatic switches are cheap, and in my county (maybe even state) they are mandatory.

I don't think you understand how a properly installed manual switch functions, nor do the politicians who passed your law.

In a properly installed manual transfer switch there is no way to back feed anything. It's wiring is no different than automatic transfer switch. I don't really think you even know what the difference is between a manual and automatic transfer switch is, nor do your politicians.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: John_Kunkel] #3128761
03/12/23 01:39 PM
03/12/23 01:39 PM
Wisconsin
W
wjb123 Offline
wjb123  Offline
W

Wisconsin
I have a generac 18kw whole-house generator with an automatic transfer switch. Love it. Had it 7 months and it's been needed twice already. I would have no reservations about going with a Kohler too. They make really good generators, but I had fewer options for installers.

We lose power all the time and I didn't want to have to take manual intervention to get the generator going. The whole-house generator is a hands off solution. Never have to worry if I'm not home or don't have enough gas or whatever. Power goes out and it starts. If I lived in an area that didn't lose power a lot I probably would have done a 10kw portable that runs on propane or gas. Build a shed for it with the exhaust piped out and automatic fan venting. You can google it, lots of videos on that. It helps keep your generator safe from rain and helps cut down the noise. Total cost of that would have been maybe 3-4k...which is lots less than the whole house generac. With a 10kw portable you can usually run A/C, but you can't run everything at the same time. It's not that kind of power.

Had I gone with the portable, I would have had an electrician install the hookup and interlock kit. It's local code to have the interlock kit and there's really no chance that you are going to back feed when it's installed properly. It's not a good DIY project. Those linemen have a tough job, nobody should booger up a solution that puts them in jeopardy. You really don't need to worry about it if you have a pro install.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: wjb123] #3128771
03/12/23 02:08 PM
03/12/23 02:08 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by wjb123
I have a generac 18kw whole-house generator with an automatic transfer switch. Love it. Had it 7 months and it's been needed twice already. I would have no reservations about going with a Kohler too. They make really good generators, but I had fewer options for installers.

We lose power all the time and I didn't want to have to take manual intervention to get the generator going. The whole-house generator is a hands off solution. Never have to worry if I'm not home or don't have enough gas or whatever. Power goes out and it starts. If I lived in an area that didn't lose power a lot I probably would have done a 10kw portable that runs on propane or gas. Build a shed for it with the exhaust piped out and automatic fan venting. You can google it, lots of videos on that. It helps keep your generator safe from rain and helps cut down the noise. Total cost of that would have been maybe 3-4k...which is lots less than the whole house generac. With a 10kw portable you can usually run A/C, but you can't run everything at the same time. It's not that kind of power.

Had I gone with the portable, I would have had an electrician install the hookup and interlock kit. It's local code to have the interlock kit and there's really no chance that you are going to back feed when it's installed properly. It's not a good DIY project. Those linemen have a tough job, nobody should booger up a solution that puts them in jeopardy. You really don't need to worry about it if you have a pro install.

up

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: TJP] #3128808
03/12/23 04:21 PM
03/12/23 04:21 PM
houston texas
G
gremlinsteve Offline
top fuel
gremlinsteve  Offline
top fuel
G

houston texas
I’m running a generac and love it

24kw powers my house and the shop

if You Like Gremlinsteve. Gremlinsteve Likes You.
Re: Whole House Generator [Re: gremlinsteve] #3128821
03/12/23 05:28 PM
03/12/23 05:28 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't think this has been mentioned but an inexpensive alternative to a transfer switch is an interlocking breaker.

The breaker for the generator goes at the top of the panel and has a mechanism that will not allow it to close until the main breaker is open.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: 340Cuda] #3128954
03/13/23 09:29 AM
03/13/23 09:29 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
an alternative that can be relatively quickly swapped house to house

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLink-30-Amp-Meter-Mounted-Transfer-Switch-MA23-N/301961623

expensive, but saves high $ electrician hourly cost

“This Old House” has a video on an interesting add on secondary breaker box that allows room circuit by room circuit generator power up

( not 100% sure this is the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgtFCJlVFQ

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: 360view] #3129036
03/13/23 01:08 PM
03/13/23 01:08 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by 360view
add on secondary breaker box that allows room circuit by room circuit generator power up

That's how I'm setup, a 60-amp breaker in my main utility breaker box powers a sub-panel with 12 breakers that power the circuits I want to keep alive during a power outage. My generator has a 50-amp outlet that goes into the manual transfer switch I showed above that powers only the circuits in the sub-panel. Another advantage to the sub-panel is it frees up space in the main breaker box. (old Zinsco 100-amp)

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Whole House Generator [Re: 340Cuda] #3129046
03/13/23 01:36 PM
03/13/23 01:36 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
I don't think this has been mentioned but an inexpensive alternative to a transfer switch is an interlocking breaker.

The breaker for the generator goes at the top of the panel and has a mechanism that will not allow it to close until the main breaker is open.

Yup. In my opinion its a safe inexpensive method to hook up a generator. The auto swap generac stuff gets way too complicated with way too much electronics for my liking.

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Whole House Generator [Re: markz528] #3129121
03/13/23 05:46 PM
03/13/23 05:46 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Its all whether you want to be the one that has to make the transfer on whatever date and time it needs to happen. The value in an automatic one is that you don't have to be there and/or bother waking up in the middle of the night.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Whole House Generator [Re: oldjonny] #3129397
03/14/23 04:56 PM
03/14/23 04:56 PM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline OP
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline OP
top fuel

MD
Little bump in the road the utility company called today and informed a generator or pool heater doesn't qualify me
for free installation.I need an indoor appliance like water heater, dryer, range etc....
I was planning to get a new range in the near future also a hot water heater. The problem with the range is it is $$$,I need a downdraft slide-in to avoid
any remodel. My current range is a overpriced unreliable Jennair that I bought off Craigslist. So maybe I will just get a hot water heater for now to get the free install.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: RTSE4ME] #3129489
03/14/23 09:33 PM
03/14/23 09:33 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
Little bump in the road the utility company called today and informed a generator or pool heater doesn't qualify me
for free installation.I need an indoor appliance like water heater, dryer, range etc....
I was planning to get a new range in the near future also a hot water heater. The problem with the range is it is $$$,I need a downdraft slide-in to avoid
any remodel. My current range is a overpriced unreliable Jennair that I bought off Craigslist. So maybe I will just get a hot water heater for now to get the free install.

up

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: TJP] #3129612
03/15/23 12:46 PM
03/15/23 12:46 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I have never regretted my gas water heater.

Even when the electric is out the water is still hot.

I miss cooking with gas. So much better than electric but stoves are pricey.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: IMGTX] #3129882
03/16/23 12:43 PM
03/16/23 12:43 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
my wife and i bought the last gas stove the appliance dealer in town had before he retired.
that was 40 some years ago, and it has worked flawlessly since. it is a maytag brand.
i ran into that fellow at the drug store a couple of weeks back, and told him i wanted to get it fixed under the "lifetime warrentee", and he said bad words to me ! eek laugh2
he is into his 90's, and we have known each other forever. he says he can still kick my azz if he has to........ biggrin
beer

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: moparx] #3131257
03/21/23 09:42 PM
03/21/23 09:42 PM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
Installed a Generac last year. Had to upgrade my gas line to feed it. Would have been okay it it was a smaller unit.
KID

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: Kidsixpack] #3131322
03/22/23 06:31 AM
03/22/23 06:31 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
We had to get a larger meter. Semco did the upgrade for free. If we went one more size up, they would have charged us.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: Fat_Mike] #3131480
03/22/23 03:47 PM
03/22/23 03:47 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Two things on this, how do you determine what size unit to buy and how about using a automatic transfer switch that shuts off the local commercial power to the home when the power goes off and then automatically will transfer from the generator back to the commercial power after a set amount of time when the commercial power supply comes back on like twenty or so work scope up
All the phone company service (AKA Central Offices) offices that provide dial tone had them back in the day, I have no idea about what the cellular industry does for back up power confused

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Whole House Generator [Re: Cab_Burge] #3131497
03/22/23 05:15 PM
03/22/23 05:15 PM
Wisconsin
W
wjb123 Offline
wjb123  Offline
W

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Two things on this, how do you determine what size unit to buy and how about using a automatic transfer switch that shuts off the local commercial power to the home when the power goes off and then automatically will transfer from the generator back to the commercial power after a set amount of time when the commercial power supply comes back on like twenty or so work scope up
All the phone company service (AKA Central Offices) offices that provide dial tone had them back in the day, I have no idea about what the cellular industry does for back up power confused

There are sizing charts online. It really depends on the appliances you have and what you want to run. Electric heat, hot water heater, dryer, stove, Hot tub all add up fast.

The automatic transfer switch is pretty slick. We lose power and it takes about 10 seconds before the Generac kicks on and takes over. When power returns, I never know. The ATS just flips back to Electric co. no interruption. btw- with Tesla powerwall you don't even lose those 10 seconds of power. But it will cost a crapload.

Once this year we had a huge outage in my area that included cell towers and cable service. We had power but no TV/nternet or cell service. That was unusual. Normally those are unaffected.

Re: Whole House Generator [Re: wjb123] #3131646
03/23/23 11:29 AM
03/23/23 11:29 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline OP
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline OP
top fuel

MD
Bigger bump in the road. The cost to run NG inside the house and a water heater is nuts. I am going to get a couple more estimates before telling the utility to keep their gas and going to Plan B. I have a nice Kubota 38hp tractor pre Tier4 emissions that doesn't get used much so I will just get a PTO generator.
A 15KW unit will power everything I want along with a manual transfer switch is less than 1/2 the cost of a water heater.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3