Wendy, I'm home.
dstryr Offline OP
master
dstryr  Offline OP
master

Wendy, I'm home.
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
I suspect it'll be fine...those lower arms are made of tin foil so likely the weak spot. I'd be more worried about getting the bolts out in one piece. Live in the rust belt?

This iagree The only issue you may have is the bolt that goes through the bushings. Yes you will need to pry and wiggle the new parts into place and even "sharpen" a point on the bolts to drive them back home. i have used a ratchet strap to the shipping anchors to pull suspension parts into place.
Shoot me a PM if you need any other help on this car as I am a master Toyota tech with 35 years experience.
Gus beer
I'll get into it on Saturday. Thank you both for the insight. beer

dstryr, since 1986.
Re: How about a Lexus question? [Re: dstryr] #3098601
12/01/22 10:05 AM
12/01/22 10:05 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by dstryr
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Assuming the spindle isn't damaged, you shouldn't have to do anything to it or to the hub. confused The radius rod, the strut, and the 2 lower control arms determine the position of the spindle. If nothing else is bent other than the front lower control arm, what are you concerned with regarding the spindle not being able to be moved to it's proper position?

It is part # 24 that is bent. Once removed, I'm just asking if the spindle/hub should somewhat freely come back into line or if I might have to rig something to help pull the wheel/hub straight so that the new arm will line up on the bolt holes. Pretty straight forward question I thought.

I am going to guess it will return close enough that the new arm will go back into place with the same level of difficulty of any other suspension part. It might require some wrestling but I bet it goes together OK.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: How about a Lexus question? [Re: Mr T2U] #3098605
12/01/22 10:07 AM
12/01/22 10:07 AM
Wendy, I'm home.
dstryr Offline OP
master
dstryr  Offline OP
master

Wendy, I'm home.
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
from your description and looking at not a charger parts image.
my 30+ years of autobody experience says #24 or #25 arm, whichever is the foreword one, is bent.
this is easy to diagnose by placing a straight edge against the rod. it should be perfectly straight against the straight edge. measure at vertical and 90*.
the center hub rarely bends, the knuckle itself usually bends before the hub.. the bearings will go bad and howl but the hub flanges rarely bend. if it's bent it will be easy to see by spinning when the wheel is off.
Just one arm is bent and the wheel did spin straight. I had a chance to drive it a couple miles and outside of a pull it drove well with no shakes or vibration. Just heard that the young gun had it out yesterday and heard a strange noise... will see if its a bearing on Saturday.
Thanks!

dstryr, since 1986.
Re: How about a Lexus question? [Re: not_a_charger] #3098799
12/01/22 10:06 PM
12/01/22 10:06 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Cars with the type of rear suspension in the diagram often suffer bent lower arms- 24 and 25 in the pic. People use them as a point of connection to pull the car out of a ditch and bent the crap out of them. I replaced 2 of 4 bent on a car with said design. The rear aligned properly at the shop. Removing them on the other hand? Rough but it was a car that had seen road salt.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: How about a Lexus question? [Re: 2boltmain] #3099347
12/03/22 10:54 PM
12/03/22 10:54 PM
Wendy, I'm home.
dstryr Offline OP
master
dstryr  Offline OP
master

Wendy, I'm home.
Appreciate all the info. The spindle was fairly easy to line up. The rusty bolts took a map gas torch to help break loose and the bolt on the spindle end was bent so no chance it was coming out of the bushing. Two hours under the car to get it apart, 15 minutes to put it back together. We’ll have to get an OEM or equal bolt for the new arm and should be an easy fix.

dstryr, since 1986.
Page 2 of 2 1 2