Grand Prairie, Texas
M
miketyler Offline
enthusiast
miketyler  Offline
enthusiast
M

Grand Prairie, Texas
The drivers side door on my 70 Challenger was very worn. I replaced bushings in the top and welded the lower fittings. If you look you can see where the wear areas are in the hole. Welding only the worn area helps retain the original hole location. I cleaned up the welded portion of the holes, and align-reamed all 4 pieces in place to .340". Door has no up/down play now. Also was able to fit to the quarter though I know I'll have to revisit once I reinstall the window.

Re: Door hinges [Re: miketyler] #3097024
11/25/22 01:12 PM
11/25/22 01:12 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by miketyler
I’ve read the same about the original design with lower hinge taking the major portion of the weight load. With the door open, doesn’t the top hinge bear the same weight load, though in opposite direction, as that on the bottom hinge? Ie, the top hinge is in tension while the bottom hinge is in compression. Yes, I’m sure there is a reason why they didn't design the lower hinge to be bushed. Hopefully someone can help me understand,

shruggy Good question wink only reason i can think of are, the detent springs, or being lower possibly they are more prone to collecting debris confused
I will say in ~ 25 years of business / inspections the Lower hinge has always been the one that wears more than the top, 90% of the time excluding a few Mfr's that tried using PLASTIC bushings on the top hinge realcrazy rolleyes beer

Page 2 of 2 1 2