New Mexico
J
JMCFAN Offline OP
top fuel
JMCFAN  Offline OP
top fuel
J

New Mexico
70 RR 383....looking to upgrade stock points etc to electronic ignition. Try to keep as stock looking as possible.... best options etc?

68 Charger 383/ AT Green/Green VT
70 Roadrunner 383/4sp Purple/Black VT
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: JMCFAN] #3082552
10/02/22 07:21 PM
10/02/22 07:21 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline
master
rickseeman  Offline
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
The Mopar kit if you can find one. Some people try to hide the orange box. But anyone who has driven a points car understands that they all need electronic ignition.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: rickseeman] #3082553
10/02/22 07:24 PM
10/02/22 07:24 PM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline
top fuel
terzmo  Offline
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Petronics makes a module that plugs into the distributor for GM and Ford. it eliminates the points and easy to install. I would "think" they'd have something for a mopar also. Fastest easiest way I'm aware of.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: rickseeman] #3082554
10/02/22 07:27 PM
10/02/22 07:27 PM
New Mexico
J
JMCFAN Offline OP
top fuel
JMCFAN  Offline OP
top fuel
J

New Mexico
Originally Posted by rickseeman
The Mopar kit if you can find one. Some people try to hide the orange box. But anyone who has driven a points car understands that they all need electronic ignition.

This one...?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-440-428

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: JMCFAN] #3082561
10/02/22 08:01 PM
10/02/22 08:01 PM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
I like the pertronix kit that replaces the points.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: B1MAXX] #3082564
10/02/22 08:24 PM
10/02/22 08:24 PM
M
MoreParts Offline
super stock
MoreParts  Offline
super stock
M

I've got about 30 years on one of my Pertronix and about 20 on my other one.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: JMCFAN] #3082579
10/02/22 09:27 PM
10/02/22 09:27 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Having owned a resto repair shop that does ONLY pre 1980 vehicles for well over 2 years I will offer my opinion.
The aftermarket systems (petronix, mallory, Crane (now fast), Accel, etc) are OK until they aren't. One is then stuck wherever they may be until parts become available. If you happen to be out of town it's either motel of flatbed time.
However, if one stays with the factory systems parts are available most anywhere. I learned this many year ago at 2:30 AM when I washed my engine down at a car wash. Yes 2;30 AM. I was working swing at the time wink. I thought I was smart and prepared with paper towels etc.
Of course it was a no start. No problem, I WAS prepared, until the rotor center contact went PING onto the floor of the wash bay. At the time there were still actual service stations open with cabinets full of factory replacement parts. Problem was I had a Mallory Dist.
SOL until the next day when the speed shops opened, (remember those?) up
I just had a call yesterday from someone needing a MSD cap and rotor for a Ford application, he was hoping I might have a used one. I told him the closest I was aware of was Speedway motors in Lincoln on Monday morning.
Had it been a factory style system, any of the many parts stores would have had what was needed to get him back on the road.
At this point I'm going to assume you know my recommendation and why.
When doing a Mopar conversion kit, I usually put the control module on the radiator support as it's, 1. out of the way. 2. hardly noticeable. 3 cooler temp wise. With a BB, BONUS, distributor and all is very close by wink twocents beer

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: JMCFAN] #3082599
10/02/22 11:06 PM
10/02/22 11:06 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by JMCFAN
Originally Posted by rickseeman

This one...?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-440-428
No, dat one be Chineze downshruggy

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 10/03/22 01:26 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3082609
10/02/22 11:43 PM
10/02/22 11:43 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Lots of places you can hide a GM module. There are a number of good how to's all over the various Mopar forums( including Moparts)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: GomangoCuda] #3082615
10/03/22 12:53 AM
10/03/22 12:53 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
The petronix kit is what you want. There is only one wire that it would take a sharp eye to notice on my car that would give it away. The ballast is a decoy too. I’ve used these for years without failure, but I hedged and solved the o’dark thirty parts problem with the old points distributor in the trunk. I simply marked the block and the distributor with a sharpie so the timing will be really close when I drop it in. Good enough to make it home. I’m not actually worried about it since I’ve had many of these setups for many years without a failure. The guy that sold me the whole distributor this time said the petronix 1 is the most reliable and so I went with that because my car is all stock. He did say the other models are usually bad right out of the box of they are going to give you trouble.

Your other option is the mopar kit. Most people accept that as “stock” so that’s a plus. I’ve gone that way before and really the cleanest and really best way to do it is with the year one upgraded harness. If you don’t have a new harness wait until you see how much better things are with a fresh one, with the icing on the cake being the built in electronic ignition wiring. It really makes the electronic kit look like it grew there at the factory and I’d venture a guess most people would think your car came with it new doing it this way. You probably have the later voltage reg so that would be a plug and play deal already. Certainly a nice upgrade for a 69 down car, but it throws a stock appearance out the window for sure.

You can get into hiding the ecu box, problem with that is the distributor wire is a giveaway so it’s not accomplishing a whole lot.

I want my fair share
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3082622
10/03/22 06:58 AM
10/03/22 06:58 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

You can get into hiding the ecu box, problem with that is the distributor wire is a giveaway so it’s not accomplishing a whole lot.

Anyone knowing enough to notice that will also notice that the Petronix distributor wire is wrong as well.

Google pertronix failure and prepare to reconsider using that.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: Sniper] #3082631
10/03/22 08:03 AM
10/03/22 08:03 AM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline
top fuel
terzmo  Offline
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Well...Petronics is not hard to install and IF I installed it I would keep a small pouch of tools (screw driver and feeler gauge) in the trunk or glove box with the original point setup just in case the 1 in 100000 chance the petronics crapped out. How many in the forum carry a spare ballast resistor. And I could care less if someone "spotted" the difference because of a wire.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: terzmo] #3082648
10/03/22 09:19 AM
10/03/22 09:19 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Originally Posted by terzmo
Well...Petronics is not hard to install and IF I installed it I would keep a small pouch of tools (screw driver and feeler gauge) in the trunk or glove box with the original point setup just in case the 1 in 100000 chance the petronics crapped out. How many in the forum carry a spare ballast resistor. And I could care less if someone "spotted" the difference because of a wire.

Ever since I have been driving Mopars . . . have ALWAYS carried a spare ballast resistor (all my cars have been either points - carried spare points, and then factory electronic ignition) . . . just one of those things you "learn" about your car - especially when a young person that can't afford to be paying someone else to work on car. Used to be I would hit the wrecking yard, find a car with electronic ignition, then grab the distributor, ECU, ballast resistor and wiring . . . pretty sure you can't to that anymore . . .

On my Sport Satellite, when I restored it, I put new wiring harness on it. Got the one with electronic ignition wiring, but extended the wiring so I could mount the ECU under the battery . . . and carry spare ballast resistor, ECU, voltage regulator, and alternator. Oh, and spare fuel filter . . . seems I have helped others with my "parts bin" in the trunk, more than I have needed. . . .

Cheers

Mark

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: terzmo] #3082654
10/03/22 09:26 AM
10/03/22 09:26 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

I have never carried a spare ballast resistor, never had one go bad either.

As for the wire, someone else used that as an excuse to not use the factory electronic ignition.

I wouldn't us a petronix if it was free and they gave me a spare to keep in the glove box. As with most things of late, the older versions seem decent, the new stuff is a crapshoot. I'll keep my point first.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: terzmo] #3082663
10/03/22 09:59 AM
10/03/22 09:59 AM
New Mexico
J
JMCFAN Offline OP
top fuel
JMCFAN  Offline OP
top fuel
J

New Mexico

Looks like for the price I could just carry a spare Petronics...lol

There are a couple of models...Ignitor...Ignitor II and Ignitor III Any inputs on the diference? Ignitor is avalable on Amazon......

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: JMCFAN] #3082741
10/03/22 12:18 PM
10/03/22 12:18 PM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
mine is probably 30 years old and back then they only had the very basic one. literally a 10 minute install.

Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: Sniper] #3082770
10/03/22 12:31 PM
10/03/22 12:31 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by Sniper

Anyone knowing enough to notice that will also notice that the Petronix distributor wire is wrong as well.

I doubt that. The petronix wire looks like a stock wire. The electronic distributor plug definitely doesn’t look like anything related to a pints distributor.

Google will tell you whatever you type in. It actually shuffles the deck based on the words you type. I’ll go with the miles and years of trouble free service I’ve had so far. Add to that Halifax Hops experience that they are bad out of the box or are generally trouble free. The OP wants a stock look so that pretty much leads to petronix.

I want my fair share
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: Sniper] #3082777
10/03/22 12:35 PM
10/03/22 12:35 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't

I have never carried a spare ballast resistor, never had one go bad either.

As for the wire, someone else used that as an excuse to not use the factory electronic ignition.

I wouldn't us a petronix if it was free and they gave me a spare to keep in the glove box. As with most things of late, the older versions seem decent, the new stuff is a crapshoot. I'll keep my point first.

It’s not an excuse. It’s the reason what the guy asked for requires petronix to get as close as possible to a factory look.

I guess I do more driving, as I’ve had a ballast go bad. I do tend to put in more miles than most people. Not many people have used a 68-71 mopar for a three season daily driver when they were over thirty years old like I have.

I want my fair share
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: JMCFAN] #3082788
10/03/22 12:38 PM
10/03/22 12:38 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by JMCFAN

Looks like for the price I could just carry a spare Petronics...lol

There are a couple of models...Ignitor...Ignitor II and Ignitor III Any inputs on the diference? Ignitor is avalable on Amazon......

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The 1st one will work fine on a stock engine. I currently have a 69 440 hp running great with one and iridium plugs. I use the matching coil. The 2 version has more spark higher in the range and I’ve had good luck with those too. the 3 model has multi spark. I’ve not used that one yet.

I want my fair share
Re: Electronic Ignition upgrade? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3082819
10/03/22 01:03 PM
10/03/22 01:03 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

I doubt that. The petronix wire looks like a stock wire. The electronic distributor plug definitely doesn’t look like anything related to a pints distributor.

Google will tell you whatever you type in. It actually shuffles the deck based on the words you type. I’ll go with the miles and years of trouble free service I’ve had so far. Add to that Halifax Hops experience that they are bad out of the box or are generally trouble free. The OP wants a stock look so that pretty much leads to petronix.

Pertronics has 2 wires coming out of the distributor , the OP's 1970 has one .

The old pertonics , maybe 15 20 years ago were good , the new ones made in someplace not in the North American continent ... not so much.

I'd convert a spare distributor and carry the original single point as a back up.

running up my post count some more .
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3