07/04/22 03:38 PM
07/04/22 03:38 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

I know I am just an old mechanical designer who knows close to nothing about electricity but why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? Gen sets can charge batteries, which most are just diesel engines turning a generator that produces electricity, seems as simple to me as hooking a generator to the rotating mass that the electric motors run? Is it that there is just no profit in it? Discuss...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Rhinodart] #3055896
07/04/22 03:41 PM
07/04/22 03:41 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Because.......

Burning coal in the car to power the generator to generate the electricity to recharge the batteries is an extra cost option.

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Rhinodart] #3055898
07/04/22 03:42 PM
07/04/22 03:42 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
to some aspect they do thru regenerative braking systems.
i have seen some videos posted on facebook they tow a completely dead tesla 1 mile it gave them a estimated 1 mile of driving charge.

from what i assume you are describing attaching a generator to the drive axles it would significantly reduce the driving distance due to drag from the generator.
i am no engineer but you are describing something like making a preputial motion machine that gets endless energy. they have been attempting to make one successfully for eternity.
i would assume it takes a bit more energy to make the electricity that the motor driven by the electricity.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 07/04/22 03:52 PM.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Rhinodart] #3055899
07/04/22 03:43 PM
07/04/22 03:43 PM
delhi,il
T
trw1982 Offline
enthusiast
trw1982  Offline
enthusiast
T

delhi,il
makes me scratch my head also. the 1st ford escapes hybrids had r-gen capacity. should be a walk in the park to make it work. my nephew owns a ford dealership and the chargers ford sold them charge the elec cars to full charge in hardly any time at all.

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Rhinodart] #3055903
07/04/22 03:52 PM
07/04/22 03:52 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I know I am just an old mechanical designer who knows close to nothing about electricity but why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? Gen sets can charge batteries, which most are just diesel engines turning a generator that produces electricity, seems as simple to me as hooking a generator to the rotating mass that the electric motors run? Is it that there is just no profit in it? Discuss...

They do, but then they are called hybrids.

When I worked for Eon I had a Ford Escape hybrid as my company car. It could run electric, gas or both. Since 90% of my commute was highway it was mostly running IC only.

Something like a Tesla uses regen braking to recover some power back, but it's not the same.

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: trw1982] #3055906
07/04/22 03:57 PM
07/04/22 03:57 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Online content
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Because it takes power to make power. Use power to keep the batteries charged and you don't have any left to power the car.

Regen braking charges during coasting and braking when the motors are being turned and generating power. Energy is returned to the battery, but unless you go downhill a lot it doesn't make a lot of difference in battery range.

No free lunches.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: slantzilla] #3055911
07/04/22 04:30 PM
07/04/22 04:30 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by slantzilla
Because it takes power to make power. Use power to keep the batteries charged and you don't have any left to power the car.

this is inaccurate in regards to a hybrid. They have enough power to charge the batteries and keep the car running down the highway. Speed limit is 75 around here and that Escape had no issue doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Escape#Hybrid

If you are referring to a pure electric vehicle, then the best way to keep those batteries charged is to not drive it.

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Sniper] #3055933
07/04/22 06:09 PM
07/04/22 06:09 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by Sniper

this is inaccurate in regards to a hybrid. They have enough power to charge the batteries and keep the car running down the highway. Speed limit is 75 around here and that Escape had no issue doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Escape#Hybrid

If you are referring to a pure electric vehicle, then the best way to keep those batteries charged is to not drive it.

of course a IC hybrid motor can charge the batteries to power the electric motors while driving down the road. that's what they were designed for.

the OP is asking why the ELECTRIC MOTORS can't charge the batteries via generators turned by the electric motors while driving down the highway.
in short it takes more electric power to turn the generators than they can produce. no one has ever built ANY motor than makes more power than it consumes. if they did they would be the richest person in the world.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Mr T2U] #3055941
07/04/22 06:44 PM
07/04/22 06:44 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
I guess I got confused by the gen set tangent.

The electric motors used in an EV are also generators, that's how they do regen, I guess if you could hook a tow line to an 18 wheeler you could do what the OP was thinking.

Other than that, conversion losses alone would make is a losing proposition, much less trying to get any useful work out of them

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Sniper] #3055958
07/04/22 07:39 PM
07/04/22 07:39 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
When electric motors and generators were invented/discovered, many people thought it would result in a perpetual motion machine. It doesn't work that way. if you're using an electric motor to run a generator, you lose power due to the resistance of the wiring and connections, without even trying to draw power off to do anything extra like power a vehicle.

When I ran the municipal garage, I was trying to get a test program going with my city, Mack, and Parker hydraulics for Hydraulic Launch Assist for refuse trucks. Residential refuse trucks have a crazy duty cycle: from a dead stop, accelerate at WOT for about 70', then stand on the brakes for 50' to get to the next bin. if you install a hydraulic pump/motor in the driveline and use it as a pump to charge an accumulator during braking to store the energy (fluid under pressure), then release that energy to drive the motor during acceleration, you theoretically can use a smaller engine to power the truck, use less fuel, etc. Sounds great, right? There's a similar system for city busses, but the duty cycle on refuse trucks means by pressurizing the fluid you increase it's temperature as well, and when you do it 500 times a day, your fluid overheats in about 100 stops. You end up with a HUGE reservoir and cooler for the fluid, to prevent that, and the weight of all of that equipment and fluid eats up any benefit of the system.

The bottom line is that gasoline and diesel fuel became the common motor vehicle fuels through a Darwinian process that began in the late 1800's. They are (relatively) stable, can be stored at common atmospheric temperatures and pressures (in quantities from small to huge), allow for refueling with VERY minimal training and no protective equipment, and became available essentially worldwide. EVERY alternative has significant drawbacks in at least one of those areas. You can argue that gasoline is a fire hazard, but it's (again relatively) easy to extinguish. Look at the reports on the wrecked Tesla that took over 4 hours to drown (literally) after it sat untouched in a junkyard. Forget your gloves when refusing your propane vehicle and you can lose a hand to frostbite (imagine letting your 16-year-old kid try it on their own). CNG vehicles require complete purging of the pressure tank before any maintenance work is done, OR a completely explosion-free shop be constructed with enclosed electrical systems, no spark-producing tools, etc. Hydrogen shows the most promise but again the technology is not yet mature enough for mass production.

IN MY OPINION, the move away from fossil fuels is another example of politicians trying to legislate technology. They want what they want (and WHY is a different discussion) without concern that it's not practical in today's world.

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #3055964
07/04/22 08:02 PM
07/04/22 08:02 PM
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
When electric motors and generators were invented/discovered, many people thought it would result in a perpetual motion machine. It doesn't work that way. if you're using an electric motor to run a generator, you lose power due to the resistance of the wiring and connections, without even trying to draw power off to do anything extra like power a vehicle.

When I ran the municipal garage, I was trying to get a test program going with my city, Mack, and Parker hydraulics for Hydraulic Launch Assist for refuse trucks. Residential refuse trucks have a crazy duty cycle: from a dead stop, accelerate at WOT for about 70', then stand on the brakes for 50' to get to the next bin. if you install a hydraulic pump/motor in the driveline and use it as a pump to charge an accumulator during braking to store the energy (fluid under pressure), then release that energy to drive the motor during acceleration, you theoretically can use a smaller engine to power the truck, use less fuel, etc. Sounds great, right? There's a similar system for city busses, but the duty cycle on refuse trucks means by pressurizing the fluid you increase it's temperature as well, and when you do it 500 times a day, your fluid overheats in about 100 stops. You end up with a HUGE reservoir and cooler for the fluid, to prevent that, and the weight of all of that equipment and fluid eats up any benefit of the system.

The bottom line is that gasoline and diesel fuel became the common motor vehicle fuels through a Darwinian process that began in the late 1800's. They are (relatively) stable, can be stored at common atmospheric temperatures and pressures (in quantities from small to huge), allow for refueling with VERY minimal training and no protective equipment, and became available essentially worldwide. EVERY alternative has significant drawbacks in at least one of those areas. You can argue that gasoline is a fire hazard, but it's (again relatively) easy to extinguish. Look at the reports on the wrecked Tesla that took over 4 hours to drown (literally) after it sat untouched in a junkyard. Forget your gloves when refusing your propane vehicle and you can lose a hand to frostbite (imagine letting your 16-year-old kid try it on their own). CNG vehicles require complete purging of the pressure tank before any maintenance work is done, OR a completely explosion-free shop be constructed with enclosed electrical systems, no spark-producing tools, etc. Hydrogen shows the most promise but again the technology is not yet mature enough for mass production.

IN MY OPINION, the move away from fossil fuels is another example of politicians trying to legislate technology. They want what they want (and WHY is a different discussion) without concern that it's not practical in today's world.

Well I believe that nothing has been done too much on my subject is due to money, nothing else. A paradigm shift is what needs to happen, but never will with the present companies in charge, there needs to be new blood with much more thought than even the people at Tesla have even thought of... work

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Rhinodart] #3055981
07/04/22 09:22 PM
07/04/22 09:22 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
There is a way for the vehicle to recharge itself, but the equipment is too large for modern cars that seem to put everything into a compact spot. I have worked on a project with a friend (rip) and had a working model in an older Tesla that not only charged the car, but was able to use all the features. Sadly, he had to disconnect the cars computer and run it as separate system. Then the added weight and lack of space made for it being problematic. With modern equipment and newer technology, I’m sure it’s doable now, just not sure if it would be practical now.

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: migsBIG] #3055983
07/04/22 09:44 PM
07/04/22 09:44 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Tom_440 Offline
master
Tom_440  Offline
master

Las Vegas, NV
Some automakers plan to put on board generators as "range extenders" to burn gas to recharge the batteries.

"Some automakers, including BMW, are producing electric vehicles with internal combustion “range extenders.” These are essentially efficient generators that can burn gasoline to replenish the battery while on the road. Ram may be eyeing a similar setup for future vehicles."

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-everything-we-know-about-the-electric-ram-pickup-truck/

I look forward to future "range extender" jokes...

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Rhinodart] #3055990
07/04/22 10:09 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
It takes energy to create energy, wind, solar, hydro, natural gas, coal and so on.
Basic law of physicists, no one rides for free shruggy work grin

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Tom_440] #3055991
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I know I am just an old mechanical designer who knows close to nothing about electricity but why can't an electric vehicle charge itself?

I would have thought that would have been in Engineering 101 !!! You can't get more energy out than you put in. HOWEVER, consider that electric motors are also generators. While the motor is used to propel the vehicle, it can generate power when used as a brake or when coasting down a hill. So, if you were going for a long drive and it was all downhill, the vehicle could charge itself. However it would not generate sufficient enegy to make the full uphill return trip

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Tom_440] #3056008
07/04/22 10:38 PM
07/04/22 10:38 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by Tom_440
Some automakers plan to put on board generators as "range extenders" to burn gas to recharge the batteries.

"Some automakers, including BMW, are producing electric vehicles with internal combustion “range extenders.” These are essentially efficient generators that can burn gasoline to replenish the battery while on the road. Ram may be eyeing a similar setup for future vehicles."

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-everything-we-know-about-the-electric-ram-pickup-truck/

I look forward to future "range extender" jokes...

I thought about this way too, for the time being it seems like the only logical way. Electric car pulling a trailer with a 7500 watt generator in it. My 7500 burns 5 gallons in eight hours, would that be enough to keep the batteries charged, don’t know. I also feel the powers that be are pushing this out there banking on someone in the general public coming up with the fix. The old saying “Necessity is the mother of invention”

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Stanton] #3056010
07/04/22 10:41 PM
07/04/22 10:41 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Stanton
I know I am just an old mechanical designer who knows close to nothing about electricity but why can't an electric vehicle charge itself?

I would have thought that would have been in Engineering 101 !!! You can't get more energy out than you put in. HOWEVER, consider that electric motors are also generators. While the motor is used to propel the vehicle, it can generate power when used as a brake or when coasting down a hill. So, if you were going for a long drive and it was all downhill, the vehicle could charge itself. However it would not generate sufficient enegy to make the full uphill return trip

Years ago sitting in an engineering meeting, two people had the full attention of as they explained in detail how they designed an near indestructible articulated arm for the medical lasers we were manufacturing. All was going well until the junior designer claimed "The arm is so good that we have measured more power out of it than is going in" whistling DEAD SILENCE in the room. OOOPPPSS!! The arm became an industry standard and the design was eventually licensed to a few competitors beer

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: Sniper] #3056017
07/04/22 10:59 PM
07/04/22 10:59 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
[quoteIf you are referring to a pure electric vehicle, then the best way to keep those batteries charged is to not drive it. [/quote]

Has this been told to the folks in Washington??

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: TJP] #3056020
07/04/22 11:11 PM
07/04/22 11:11 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Electricity is a funny demon. But like the old saying goes: "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Power (or "energy") is ALWAYS lost through friction, heat, resistance, etc.
You'll never get MORE out of what you put in.

A fun experiment is to get a cheapy little 40-amp alternator. Hook it up to a battery source and a regulator and now YOU try to turn that alternator. You might be able to; but not sustainably enough to be useful.
Now, get a 200-amp alternator from a big truck and do the same thing. A small team of dogs wouldn't be able to turn it. You would need the mass of something; like a car - to be able to turn that sucker.

Lots of the electric things have regenerative braking - and this is a wonderful thing. But you can't have it ON all the time - the drag would be immense and you'd be wasting 10x more energy trying to get something out of it.

Why don't race cars have alternators? It's not because they don't have headlights! It's because that little chargin' whirler saps up an easy 5hp. The bigger the alternator, the more hp it takes away!

Personally, I think we should be looking more into Hybrid/Turbine technology. A small Turbine powerplant that has three states: OFF, idle or RUN and therefore can be tuned to run as cleanly as possible. It's only job is to turn a generator that can power an electric motor and maybe a small, backup battery. A multi-fuel Turbine would not only be able to run off of ANY combustible fuel, it can be tuned to run as cleanly or cleaner than any current internal combustion engine; but it's maintenance now drops to ZERO and moving parts/failure rate plummets. Win-Win for the consumer; not so much for the manufacturer.

But I also think we've gotten away from simple reliability. I firmly believe ALL electric cars should have a simple, planetary transmission. Why? Very Simple. A "classic" three-speed or even 2-speed transmission would:

Provide a "PARKing" position that everybody and their dog is used to.
A much simpler reverse function - rather than reversing the electric motor (which requires big, heavy circuit breakers and relays) - just do it hydraulically.
A NEUTRAL position for pushing/towing that not all electrics have!!
Drive for every day driving.
Gear reduction should such an idea be necessary.

But, the other great thing about a simple transmission would be it's fluid pump. I don't think it would be much parasitic loss to have that same pump power a hydraulic power steering unit and a hydroboost brake unit. We could also plumb a heater matrix into the fluid system because the fluid will get warm. Why not dissipate that heat through the cabin rather than have 39 separate electric systems doing all these jobs.

I really think the designers of today believe themselves to be much smarter than they actually are. None of them have ever heard of the phrase "Putting the cart before the horse." They've no idea what a cart nor a horse is.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Why can't an electric vehicle charge itself? [Re: That AMC Guy] #3056025
07/04/22 11:23 PM
07/04/22 11:23 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
Electricity is a funny demon. But like the old saying goes: "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Power (or "energy") is ALWAYS lost through friction, heat, resistance, etc.
You'll never get MORE out of what you put in.

A fun experiment is to get a cheapy little 40-amp alternator. Hook it up to a battery source and a regulator and now YOU try to turn that alternator. You might be able to; but not sustainably enough to be useful.
Now, get a 200-amp alternator from a big truck and do the same thing. A small team of dogs wouldn't be able to turn it. You would need the mass of something; like a car - to be able to turn that sucker.

Lots of the electric things have regenerative braking - and this is a wonderful thing. But you can't have it ON all the time - the drag would be immense and you'd be wasting 10x more energy trying to get something out of it.

Why don't race cars have alternators? It's not because they don't have headlights! It's because that little chargin' whirler saps up an easy 5hp. The bigger the alternator, the more hp it takes away!

Personally, I think we should be looking more into Hybrid/Turbine technology. A small Turbine powerplant that has three states: OFF, idle or RUN and therefore can be tuned to run as cleanly as possible. It's only job is to turn a generator that can power an electric motor and maybe a small, backup battery. A multi-fuel Turbine would not only be able to run off of ANY combustible fuel, it can be tuned to run as cleanly or cleaner than any current internal combustion engine; but it's maintenance now drops to ZERO and moving parts/failure rate plummets. Win-Win for the consumer; not so much for the manufacturer.

But I also think we've gotten away from simple reliability. I firmly believe ALL electric cars should have a simple, planetary transmission. Why? Very Simple. A "classic" three-speed or even 2-speed transmission would:

Provide a "PARKing" position that everybody and their dog is used to.
A much simpler reverse function - rather than reversing the electric motor (which requires big, heavy circuit breakers and relays) - just do it hydraulically.
A NEUTRAL position for pushing/towing that not all electrics have!!
Drive for every day driving.
Gear reduction should such an idea be necessary.

But, the other great thing about a simple transmission would be it's fluid pump. I don't think it would be much parasitic loss to have that same pump power a hydraulic power steering unit and a hydroboost brake unit. We could also plumb a heater matrix into the fluid system because the fluid will get warm. Why not dissipate that heat through the cabin rather than have 39 separate electric systems doing all these jobs.

I really think the designers of today believe themselves to be much smarter than they actually are. None of them have ever heard of the phrase "Putting the cart before the horse." They've no idea what a cart nor a horse is.

bow
but think of all those battery companies and lithium mines wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3