Michigan
B
BlueRacer69 Offline OP
super stock
BlueRacer69  Offline OP
super stock
B

Michigan
Hi guys. I'm putting a new repo aftermarket steering box and a new steering coupler on my car, (69 Dart), but can't seem to get the coupler to go on the steering box. What's the trick. Should it just slide on or does it have to be hammered on? I don't want to mess up the splines on ether one. I've got $ 350.00 into it. Any help would be apperciated. It's manual steering with 24:1 ratio. Thanks.

Last edited by BlueRacer69; 04/30/22 11:36 AM.
Re: Steering box and coupler. [Re: BlueRacer69] #3038481
04/30/22 01:09 PM
04/30/22 01:09 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The Mopar steering boxes have one place on the splines where the spline was not cut. The coupler also has to that a matching position on the splines to fit. Then its a matter of getting the two spline places to line up with each other. They have to be exact, one spline off won't work. I'm betting your splines are not matching up correctly. Once the splines line up if everything is clean, most of the ones I've dealt with slid together pretty well with a jiggle or very light tap with a hammer. Just make sure the locking set screw is backed out far enough its not dragging on the splines.

Re: Steering box and coupler. [Re: poorboy] #3038538
04/30/22 04:24 PM
04/30/22 04:24 PM
Michigan
B
BlueRacer69 Offline OP
super stock
BlueRacer69  Offline OP
super stock
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by poorboy
The Mopar steering boxes have one place on the splines where the spline was not cut. The coupler also has to that a matching position on the splines to fit. Then its a matter of getting the two spline places to line up with each other. They have to be exact, one spline off won't work. I'm betting your splines are not matching up correctly. Once the splines line up if everything is clean, most of the ones I've dealt with slid together pretty well with a jiggle or very light tap with a hammer. Just make sure the locking set screw is backed out far enough its not dragging on the splines.
I understand what you are saying, but there are no cuts to line up on either of the splines of the steering box nor the steering coupler. I even tried putting the coupler on the box by going around 1 spline at a time and pushing it on with no success. These are aftermarket parts from sellers on E-bag.

Re: Steering box and coupler. [Re: BlueRacer69] #3038541
04/30/22 04:33 PM
04/30/22 04:33 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by BlueRacer69
I understand what you are saying, but there are no cuts to line up on either of the splines of the steering box nor the steering coupler. I even tried putting the coupler on the box by going around 1 spline at a time and pushing it on with no success. These are aftermarket parts from sellers on E-bag.

Did you try the old coupler on the new box and vice versa?

Did you compare the two?

Last edited by Transman; 04/30/22 04:33 PM.
Re: Steering box and coupler. [Re: A727Tflite] #3038614
04/30/22 09:34 PM
04/30/22 09:34 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Transman
Originally Posted by BlueRacer69

Did you try the old coupler on the new box and vice versa?

Did you compare the two?

Should be splined as mentioned By Poorboy, If I remember correctly the box has the Female slot and the coupler is male. ( KEEP IT CLEAN LOL) smile

The same arrangement was done on the steering wheel to shaft, It was done to keep the steering wheel, shaft and box aligned during assembly.

Last edited by TJP; 04/30/22 09:38 PM.
Re: Steering box and coupler. [Re: BlueRacer69] #3038653
04/30/22 11:39 PM
04/30/22 11:39 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
The manual coupler will not work on a power steering box and the power steering coupler will not fit onto a manual box either. they need to fit the same application to work together shruggy
As far as all aftermarket parts call the seller to get them to fix it now while you can still get your money back twocentsscope

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 05/02/22 12:19 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Steering box and coupler. [Re: BlueRacer69] #3038814
05/01/22 04:32 PM
05/01/22 04:32 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Do you have pics of the parts/splines?