04/03/22 12:45 PM
04/03/22 12:45 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I didn't see where anyone posted on this, sorry if I'm reposting...
Apparently a customer bought a "Cuda V-code" and brought it in for restoration, but after looking it over, Worman finds out it's a re-bodied Gran Coupe.
Rad support & cowl replaced at some time, GC trim holes welded & ground...someone definitely intended to re-body and "upgrade" the car.
OEM dash VIN rivets & apparently pad.
Basically called the car out - with the V-code VIN - on national TV, then says the customer wants to proceed with the build. Yikes.
Seems to me that's flirting with trouble even further than the mostly-AMD '71 black Cuda build, apparently also a customer request.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: topside] #3030330
04/03/22 04:49 PM
04/03/22 04:49 PM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
Originally Posted by topside
Apparently a customer bought a "Cuda V-code" and brought it in for restoration, but after looking it over, Worman finds out it's a re-bodied Gran Coupe.
Rad support & cowl replaced at some time, GC trim holes welded & ground...someone definitely intended to re-body and "upgrade" the car.
Basically called the car out - with the V-code VIN - on national TV, then says the customer wants to proceed with the build. Yikes.
Seems to me that's flirting with trouble even further than the mostly-AMD '71 black Cuda build, apparently also a customer request.

Well, at least it will be documented on tv as a tainted car.

China is the enemy.
Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: 1972CudaV21] #3030335
04/03/22 05:13 PM
04/03/22 05:13 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21

Well, at least it will be documented on tv as a tainted car.

Assuming that Worman's "investigation" is credible...this guy can't even put a hood decal on in the right location, even with "factory documentation"....

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: topside] #3030343
04/03/22 05:45 PM
04/03/22 05:45 PM
Anderson, SC
resqguy Offline
top fuel
resqguy  Offline
top fuel

Anderson, SC
I feel bad for the owner, but it looked like an obvious re-body, They didn't show the car before it was stripped but I think anyone paying the $$ should have seen noticed something wasn't right.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: resqguy] #3030362
04/03/22 06:49 PM
04/03/22 06:49 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Yeah, the rad support welds were obviously non-factory, but could have been a crappy collision repair (which would disqualify a car for me).
The other stuff showed a lot of effort that wouldn't be visible under paint & interior trim.
Bottom seam of firewall would likely be visible from underneath.
Worman actually walked through it very slowly & methodically, no silliness.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: topside] #3030368
04/03/22 07:30 PM
04/03/22 07:30 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

My 69 GTS that I have owned for almost 44 years now had the top core support changed in 1979 when I wrecked it into a light pole. There are no numbers on it as my original was destroyed at the place where the numbers were. Lots of cars had that happened to them back in the day. I don't care what anyone says about my car, it is still numbers matching...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Rhinodart] #3030369
04/03/22 07:32 PM
04/03/22 07:32 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
My 69 GTS that I have owned for almost 44 years now had the top core support changed in 1979 when I wrecked it into a light pole. There are no numbers on it as my original was destroyed at the place where the numbers were. Lots of cars had that happened to them back in the day. I don't care what anyone says about my car, it is still numbers matching...

You might believe that, heck you might be right.

You won't get matching numbers money for it though and in the end that is all matching numbers is about.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: topside] #3030378
04/03/22 07:48 PM
04/03/22 07:48 PM
Fairview Tennessee
S
SV_MOPARS Offline
pro stock
SV_MOPARS  Offline
pro stock
S

Fairview Tennessee

so they get the car apart and find out it was rebody, then he goes thru with his original plans of building it, what else could he of done at that point?

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Rhinodart] #3030379
04/03/22 07:50 PM
04/03/22 07:50 PM
Nebraska
70VcodeCoronetRT Offline
top fuel
70VcodeCoronetRT  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
I always wondered why Torino sent the 70 Coronet R/T back. He hasn't been back on the show since. But then again. I always wondered with all his money. Why he picked GYC to do it?

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: SV_MOPARS] #3030381
04/03/22 07:57 PM
04/03/22 07:57 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by SV_MOPARS

so they get the car apart and find out it was rebody, then he goes thru with his original plans of building it, what else could he of done at that point?

I guess that depends on what the owner wanted. If he wanted a numbers match ride, ditch that one and find another.

If he wanted a nice period muscle car, carry on.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Sniper] #3030402
04/03/22 08:28 PM
04/03/22 08:28 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by Sniper

You won't get matching numbers money for it though and in the end that is all matching numbers is about.

I cut apart a 1968 Dart GT and the core support had no numbers on it whatsoever. It was 100% original and I knew the owner from day one. If you believe every Mopar came from the factory with the proper numbers stamped on them then I have a chunk of nice dry land in Florida I will sell you. wink I am sure you have seen the factory VIN issues that are out there. A buddy had a 71 "V" code Roadrunner where the "V" was missing in the VIN, only 12 numbers instead of the requisite 13...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Rhinodart] #3030417
04/03/22 09:01 PM
04/03/22 09:01 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
What I believe is irrelevant, I am not in the market for a numbers matching anything.

What is relevant is the person looking for a numbers matching something and willing to spend the cash to get it.

BTW, when did they start stamping the numbers on the core support? Might be relevant to what you saw, or rather didn't see. I believe 1 Jan 68 is when it was required?

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Rhinodart] #3030424
04/03/22 09:19 PM
04/03/22 09:19 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska

I cut apart a 1968 Dart GT and the core support had no numbers on it whatsoever. It was 100% original and I knew the owner from day one. If you believe every Mopar came from the factory with the proper numbers stamped on them then I have a chunk of nice dry land in Florida I will sell you. wink I am sure you have seen the factory VIN issues that are out there. A buddy had a 71 "V" code Roadrunner where the "V" was missing in the VIN, only 12 numbers instead of the requisite 13...

About a third to half of the superbirds have no core support stamp. I have seen several 1971 cudas with no cowl stamp, known original undamaged cars, but I have never seen a 71 cuda without the core support stamp. Mistakes did happen. I see no problem here, I know a lot of people do not like Mark, but I see no funny business from him here.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Sniper] #3030430
04/03/22 10:15 PM
04/03/22 10:15 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

What I believe is irrelevant, I am not in the market for a numbers matching anything.

What is relevant is the person looking for a numbers matching something and willing to spend the cash to get it.

BTW, when did they start stamping the numbers on the core support? Might be relevant to what you saw, or rather didn't see. I believe 1 Jan 68 is when it was required?

I am talking about SO#'s which started in 1967, numbers are numbers whether it is the SO# or the VIN...

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: 4406bbl] #3030440
04/03/22 10:39 PM
04/03/22 10:39 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline OP
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Just to be clear: I'm not bashing Worman on this. He clearly exposed an ugly side of our hobby. My thoughts are as follows:

1. Customer's out probably good money for what turns out to be a re-body.
2. Car is now widely known as a re-body, negatively affecting value whatever its future entails.
3. Law enforcement/DMV may have a big issue with this, as is often discussed here.
4. I'd hate to not only be that customer, but to risk further investment if his DMV is inclined to seize the car.

Replacing a damaged upper tie bar is one thing, no problem there legally.
But that isn't what happened in this case.
Hope it somehow works out, but the lesson of course is to thoroughly inspect big-money cars pre-purchase.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: 4406bbl] #3030475
04/04/22 07:29 AM
04/04/22 07:29 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by 4406bbl

About a third to half of the superbirds have no core support stamp. I have seen several 1971 cudas with no cowl stamp, known original undamaged cars, but I have never seen a 71 cuda without the core support stamp. Mistakes did happen. I see no problem here, I know a lot of people do not like Mark, but I see no funny business from him here.

i started to redo a 71 cuda that didn't have any #'s stamped in the cowl or the radiator support. the car was original and wasn't crashed. it was rusty and needed a little new metal, floors, t floor 1/4 panes.
i roughed out the car to 80 grit. then started collecting parts and $$ to finish it like i wanted to. then plans changed with impending home purchase so i sold it that way. i did include pics of when i took car apart showing there weren't any #'s on the body.
this was pre digital days so no pics on my computer.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 04/04/22 07:31 AM.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Rhinodart] #3030487
04/04/22 08:28 AM
04/04/22 08:28 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
When I got my '69 GTX I had it at one of my best longtime friend's place in El Paso. I asked if he could check the radiator support for the "matching" number and he said "we can't find it where you say it's suppose to be, it's NOT there. I was worried because the car was a one owner car and originally sold in the LA area and it was supposed to be all original. When I finally got the car back to Ohio I noticed the antifreeze label was not where it usually is on a Lynch Road, Hamtramck or St. Louis assembly plant cars and thought that was odd as it was more to the center of the radiator support??? I checked the back of the radiator support again and again and thought that just maybe the paint had filled the numbers in but no that wasn't the case. Then I realized why the still original antifreeze label was more to the center than the other assemble plants. This was a LA assembly plant B-body and the numbers were stamped on the top of the rad support and NOT on the back. There it was plain as day if you knew where to look for it on an LA plant car. There were also a few other items that were slightly different on the LA assembly cars that would get comments from the Mopar "experts" like "you know your jack instructions are on the wrong side of the trunk lid, it should be on the right/passenger's side not the left". Wrong for the most part they are on the left on the LA assembly B-bodies. And "why is the black on the bottom of your car you know that's wrong. And why does your car have the wrong dual snorkel air filter housing on it not the unsilenced cover? And why no chrome exhaust tips on your GTX?? It would be funny if the radiator support numbers were actually on the Cuda but some temp worker didn't know where they were "supposed" to go. Carry on.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: Rhinodart] #3030524
04/04/22 10:56 AM
04/04/22 10:56 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita

My '71 'Cuda was triple stamped with the same (correct) number on the core support. Guy running the stamper must've been bored that day. The rest of the car was a mess as far as spot welds being missed, done improperly, etc.

Last edited by GY3; 04/04/22 10:57 AM.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: topside] #3030534
04/04/22 11:28 AM
04/04/22 11:28 AM
North Pole,New York
F
formula_s Offline
master
formula_s  Offline
master
F

North Pole,New York
Mark offered to re-assemble the car and offer a refund, though how much was there to put together and how deep was he into it as far as hours/labor? On the AMD kit car did he say what he intends to do for a VIN??

Re: Latest GYC with a rebodied "Cuda" [Re: formula_s] #3030542
04/04/22 11:57 AM
04/04/22 11:57 AM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
The welds should have been obvious long before the disassembly and dipping.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Page 1 of 2 1 2