Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline OP
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline OP
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I need to find, buy or make a wiring harness for my 1940 ford Tudor street rod soon, who do you guys recommend to buy from and who not to buy from help
I've used Painless brand kits in the past for drag cars but not for a street rod.
A friend mentioned Ron Frances (SP ?) as well as Painless and some others I've never heard of, all help is appreciated on this up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3005095
01/13/22 10:52 PM
01/13/22 10:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
My son has bought 2 different set of wiring harnesses for old cars, that I got to install. The bought the cheapest thing he could find, from two different places. My words of advice is, don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find, there are many reasons they are cheap.

I've seen a lot of guys are buying Rebel Wire harnesses, I've seen them post their wiring diagrams on the HAMB board, and always seem to be among the first responders when wire harness questions are asked. They are suppose to be USA made with USA components, but I personally don't have anything but hearsay to back that statement up. Don't have a web address either, but google should be able to find them. Gene

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3005232
01/14/22 12:40 PM
01/14/22 12:40 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
I've installed a couple of American Autowire kits. No complaints, they tailor their kits for the complexity or simplicity you desire. Highway 15 shown below.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sh...ginal-modified/universal-street-rod-kits

Elec. Panel (Medium).JPG

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: John_Kunkel] #3005247
01/14/22 01:30 PM
01/14/22 01:30 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Old Ray Offline
enthusiast
Old Ray  Offline
enthusiast

British Columbia, Canada
I'm thinking that at the cost and of course your comfort level that all you are really buying in the kits is the fuse box / flasher socket / terminal panel and some wire, terminals and terminal strips.
And instructions that can be very important. You might consider scratch wiring it, ... it is certainly a character builder. Some I have done.
[Linked Image],[Linked Image],[Linked Image]

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Old Ray] #3005250
01/14/22 01:43 PM
01/14/22 01:43 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
I used the Speedway Motors house brand 22 circuit kit when I rewired the mess that was my 51's electrical system. Been two years, no complaints. Being a universal kit though, it wasn't a simple plug and play. I ended up getting new contacts for all my light sockets so I could replaced them and eliminate the spliced on to the original cloth covered wires the PO had scabbed on to. Some wires were too short, primarily the brake light switch since it's a brake pressure switch located near the rear axle. Price has gone up about $50 since I bought it. I converted to a later Moapr externally regulated 12v charging system, so I had to hand built part of that setup.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/22-Circuit-Universal-Automotive-Aftermarket-Wiring-Harness-Kit,229874.html

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Sniper] #3005771
01/15/22 11:14 PM
01/15/22 11:14 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Originally Posted by Sniper
I used the Speedway Motors house brand 22 circuit kit when I rewired the mess that was my 51's electrical system. Been two years, no complaints. Being a universal kit though, it wasn't a simple plug and play. I ended up getting new contacts for all my light sockets so I could replaced them and eliminate the spliced on to the original cloth covered wires the PO had scabbed on to. Some wires were too short, primarily the brake light switch since it's a brake pressure switch located near the rear axle. Price has gone up about $50 since I bought it. I converted to a later Moapr externally regulated 12v charging system, so I had to hand built part of that setup.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/22-Circuit-Universal-Automotive-Aftermarket-Wiring-Harness-Kit,229874.html

Agree I have used the speedway harness on several street rod builds and have never had any issues with them.

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: John_Kunkel] #3006065
01/16/22 09:42 PM
01/16/22 09:42 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
I've installed a couple of American Autowire kits. No complaints, they tailor their kits for the complexity or simplicity you desire. Highway 15 shown below.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sh...ginal-modified/universal-street-rod-kits

We have used American Autowire almost exclusively for the last 20+ years. High quality, excellent diagrams/instructions and tech support if needed. In addition they are one of the few that discuss proper crimping methods. I also like the fact that you can cut the wires to length and terminate at the fuse box using only what you need circuit wise. A lot of the kits are pre wired at the fuse box leaving a balled up mess or wires to cut off. beer

BTW: Due to downsizing, I do have an extra set of the Packard crimpers. if anyone is interested send me a PM

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: TJP] #3006075
01/16/22 10:28 PM
01/16/22 10:28 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
I believe that America Autowire is who made the Speedway kit I used. At least their schematics match up and work better than the Speedway provided ones.

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Sniper] #3006184
01/17/22 12:58 PM
01/17/22 12:58 PM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
American Autowire and Ron Francis have been easy to use. May have to check into the speedway one, haven’t used it yet.

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: TJP] #3006192
01/17/22 01:29 PM
01/17/22 01:29 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by TJP
We have used American Autowire almost exclusively for the last 20+ years. High quality, excellent diagrams/instructions and tech support if needed. In addition they are one of the few that discuss proper crimping methods. I also like the fact that you can cut the wires to length and terminate at the fuse box using only what you need circuit wise. A lot of the kits are pre wired at the fuse box leaving a balled up mess or wires to cut off. beer

That's an issue worth mentioning, pre-terminated fuse boxes make stringing the wire a PITA...better if you can snake the loose wire from both directions.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: poorboy] #3006233
01/17/22 03:19 PM
01/17/22 03:19 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Originally Posted by poorboy
My son has bought 2 different set of wiring harnesses for old cars, that I got to install. The bought the cheapest thing he could find, from two different places. My words of advice is, don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find, there are many reasons they are cheap.

I've seen a lot of guys are buying Rebel Wire harnesses, I've seen them post their wiring diagrams on the HAMB board, and always seem to be among the first responders when wire harness questions are asked. They are suppose to be USA made with USA components, but I personally don't have anything but hearsay to back that statement up. Don't have a web address either, but google should be able to find them. Gene

http://rebelwire.com/

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Cab_Burge] #3007193
01/20/22 01:56 PM
01/20/22 01:56 PM
It's Complicated
HDNMOPERS Offline
HDNMOPERS  Offline

It's Complicated
Coach Controls

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: HDNMOPERS] #3007211
01/20/22 02:30 PM
01/20/22 02:30 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
as one who has wired a few [? biggrin] vehicles over the years, as well as repaired MANY um, shall we say, mistakes, most of the popular kits will do good for most applications.
it basically boils down what a guy wants to accomplish in his particular build.
most kits are somewhat GM based, so that may or may not, be something to concern yourself with.
which ever kit you choose, make sure [if possible] the wires are long enough to make it to the intended item without having to add additional wire.
good terminals and connectors are a must.
it is also good to have a couple of extra places in the fuse box for future additions if the need arises. if that is not possible, there are several add-on fused strips that you may want to consider.
make sure the insulation is the correct automotive grade plastic [i forget what the name of that plastic is. sorry] also, make sure the wire gauge is the correct size for the item being powered. just like the new vehicles, there seems to be a trend to down size the wire gauge to the minimum required to run the accessory in the kits.
as to "no-name" or swap meet kits out there, i have seen some pretty nice ones as well as pure trash, so be careful with those.
good crimper tools are a must - DO NOT use those crimper tools that come in the 3,821 piece terminal kits from elcheapistanfright.
get extra wire and terminals, then practice using your crimper until you can produce solid crimps. it may seem like wasted money, but i have had to replace too many bad crimps over the years because the tools were not used properly, or bad tools were used in the first place.
and finally, sometimes it is just better to wire from scratch. when doing this, make dang SURE you draw out a diagram of your harness ! it will come in handy in the future !
beer

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: moparx] #3007356
01/20/22 07:37 PM
01/20/22 07:37 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Agree on getting a good crimping tool. I got one from Mac tools. Not cheap but worth every dollar. My personal preference is solder and shrink wrap. Especially on a race car.

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Dabee] #3007374
01/20/22 08:56 PM
01/20/22 08:56 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Dabee
Agree on getting a good crimping tool. I got one from Mac tools. Not cheap but worth every dollar. My personal preference is solder and shrink wrap. Especially on a race car.

that is what I did on my 51, crimp, solder, heat shrink. Every connection. Probably double]d the time involved, but in reality there aren't a lot of electrical items in a 51 Plymouth and I will never have to worry about it again.

Re: After market wiring kits, who is good? [Re: Sniper] #3007485
01/21/22 08:19 AM
01/21/22 08:19 AM
A Happy Place, A Happy Place, ...
57Plymouth Offline
master
57Plymouth  Offline
master

A Happy Place, A Happy Place, ...
I have wired 4 cars using EZ Wire kits. They have all gone smoothly. In fact the last car I did (1967 Caprice) I did in under a day. However you must understand what you are doing and be prepared before you start. If you are adding things like fuel injection you must know how to integrate it before you start.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit