O
OLD318 Offline OP
super stock
OLD318  Offline OP
super stock
O

Hey Guys,

Has anyone on here ever replaced the driver or pass front door glass
on a 68-70 B Body 2 door hardtop with the repro piece(s) available from AMD?

If you did, how did you reuse the old window bracket from the original glass?
Specifically, what product(s) did you use to attach the original stainless
frame bracket from the old glass, to the new glass?

Did you use a glass shop? - if so do you have a name and number of that installer?

I've googled for days and searched youtube for weeks on end.
There is NOTHING that describes how to do this in any youtube video
or factory service manual... anywhere.
When I go to local glass shops they all shake their heads and say
"car is to old we don't do that etc"

IF you have personally done this job or have had this done at a glass shop
please chime in...

Thanks for the ad

Last edited by OLD318; 01/05/22 05:03 PM.
Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: OLD318] #3002339
01/05/22 05:14 PM
01/05/22 05:14 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
They were originally held on with "glass setting tape". I know DMT sells the correct thickness tape for the front wing windows. I bought some but haven't tried using it yet. The videos I've seen on Youtube don't give me much confidence in trying it myself. I think some people use windshield urethane.

Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: burdar] #3002525
01/06/22 10:02 AM
01/06/22 10:02 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by burdar
They were originally held on with "glass setting tape". I know DMT sells the correct thickness tape for the front wing windows. I bought some but haven't tried using it yet. The videos I've seen on Youtube don't give me much confidence in trying it myself. I think some people use windshield urethane.

Agreed, setting tape was the OEM method, myself I've used windshield urethane to remount glass channels, takes longer to set up/cure, but IMHO the results are much better in fit/finish.....

Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: DAYCLONA] #3002532
01/06/22 10:25 AM
01/06/22 10:25 AM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Agreed, setting tape was the OEM method, myself I've used windshield urethane to remount glass channels, takes longer to set up/cure, but IMHO the results are much better in fit/finish.....

No glass setting tape on a 66-70 B body window, or A bodies either. The bracket is NOT bonded to the glass on these cars. The lower bracket is attached with a plastic rivit. The bracket has a gasket paper between the glass and bracket. You can make the paper gasket yourself.

The door glass is easiest to replace with the vent window assembly out, and drop the whole assembly, side glass and vent assembly down in one unit.
Now is the time to wed the lower stud bracket back on, if it's broken off, which they almost always are.
Don't over look the front "fuzzy" strip too. The repros are hit and miss for fit. Buy a new OEM mopar strip set, but be prepared to pay $$ for them.
FYI, the new white clips are oversized, so reuse the originals if possible.

The AMD glass fits well. I have used plenty on customers cars, and my own.
Other repro door glass brands tend to have the wrong curvature, wrong size hole for the plastic rivit, wrong thickness of glass, which all make it virually unusable.

Here's one source for the rivit. Highly recommend this company and it's excellent products

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...ss-window-regulator-plastic-nylon-rivet/

Last edited by demon; 01/06/22 10:34 AM.
Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: demon] #3002556
01/06/22 11:21 AM
01/06/22 11:21 AM
Lansing, MI
70gtx440dana Offline
master
70gtx440dana  Offline
master

Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by demon

No glass setting tape on a 66-70 B body window, or A bodies either. The bracket is NOT bonded to the glass on these cars. The lower bracket is attached with a plastic rivit. The bracket has a gasket paper between the glass and bracket. You can make the paper gasket yourself.

The door glass is easiest to replace with the vent window assembly out, and drop the whole assembly, side glass and vent assembly down in one unit.
Now is the time to wed the lower stud bracket back on, if it's broken off, which they almost always are.
Don't over look the front "fuzzy" strip too. The repros are hit and miss for fit. Buy a new OEM mopar strip set, but be prepared to pay $$ for them.

Other repro door glass brands tend to have the wrong curvature, wrong size hole for the plastic rivit, wrong thickness of glass, which all make it virually unusable.

Here's one source for the rivit. Highly recommend this company and it's excellent products

Your notes above are correct for the lower mounting bracket. However, the stainless at the rear of the glass that rides in the rear guide is applied with setting tape.

70 Road Runner 383-4 4 speed FJ5 & black guts
70 Charger R/T 440-4 4 speed FJ5 & white guts
Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: 70gtx440dana] #3002560
01/06/22 11:46 AM
01/06/22 11:46 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Your notes above are correct for the lower mounting bracket. However, the stainless at the rear of the glass that rides in the rear guide is applied with setting tape.

iagree My 68 Dart uses "setting tape" on the wing windows, door glass rear stainless strip and 1/4 window stainless. The 1/4 glass is held into the mounting bracket with it also. The door glass to crank mechanism bracket is held on with a plastic rivet and cardboard gasket.

Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: burdar] #3002568
01/06/22 12:19 PM
01/06/22 12:19 PM
Wheatfield, NY
Cuda340 Offline
top fuel
Cuda340  Offline
top fuel

Wheatfield, NY

iagree My 68 Dart uses "setting tape" on the wing windows, door glass rear stainless strip and 1/4 window stainless. The 1/4 glass is held into the mounting bracket with it also. The door glass to crank mechanism bracket is held on with a plastic rivet and cardboard gasket.

PM me with your number and I can walk you through it. Its would take too long to type.

Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: 70gtx440dana] #3003127
01/08/22 11:47 AM
01/08/22 11:47 AM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
Originally Posted by 70gtx440dana
Originally Posted by demon

My mistake. I thought the original poster was asking about the lower bracket only. When I re-read the original post, I see he mentions the stainless moulding too. Yes, that moulding does use the tape, and I too, generally use urethane to attach the stainless mouldings.

Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: burdar] #3003128
01/08/22 11:50 AM
01/08/22 11:50 AM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada

Yes, setting tape was used for the mouldings, vent window etc. He was asking about the door glass, not those other pieces. I thought the original post was asking about the lower mount bracket on the door glass. When I re-read it, I see he asked about the moulding too. He refered to them as "frame bracket", so that threw me off I guess.
Urethane is the usual method now days to re attach the mouldings

Last edited by demon; 01/08/22 11:54 AM.
Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: demon] #3003269
01/08/22 08:48 PM
01/08/22 08:48 PM
O
OLD318 Offline OP
super stock
OLD318  Offline OP
super stock
O

Yes,

I was referring to the stainless steel frame piece that goes on the back side of the 2 door hardtop front door glass. Not the lower bracket or Vent window frame.

On hardtops the quarter window ,when rolled up ,will nudge against the inner felt side of this bracket to seal.

I spoke to DMT and they are sending me the tape to do this with...
I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

I really appreciate all of your responses...

Thanks for the ad..

Re: Replacing 68-70 B Body Front Door Glass - ugh [Re: OLD318] #3003489
01/09/22 03:43 PM
01/09/22 03:43 PM
O
OLD318 Offline OP
super stock
OLD318  Offline OP
super stock
O

A video demo of the glass setting tape is here (via DMT website)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUY1XXIBiiA