SoCal
R
RustyDuster Offline
enthusiast
RustyDuster  Offline
enthusiast
R

SoCal
That's great to hear and Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Definitely keep us updated either way and if we're still experiencing the same problem we'll start looking at timing and some other possibilities.

Look forward to hearing from ya!

Last edited by RustyDuster; 11/29/21 01:08 PM.
Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: Andrewh] #2990149
11/29/21 01:07 PM
11/29/21 01:07 PM
Chino Valley
B
B300 VanDanage Offline OP
enthusiast
B300 VanDanage  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by Andrewh
https://mymopar.com/

may not go late enough but there are service manuals and part manuals for free here.

Wow that's pretty cool! Thanks! I briefly checked it out and only saw that they have a parts catalog for my year vehicle... Maybe I missed something else...

Edit: what I was trying to say is they Don't have one for my year vehicle... Not sure if any of that info would work... shruggy

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 12/05/21 09:34 PM.
Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: RustyDuster] #2992404
12/05/21 09:52 PM
12/05/21 09:52 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by RustyDuster
That's great to hear and Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Definitely keep us updated either way and if we're still experiencing the same problem we'll start looking at timing and some other possibilities.

Look forward to hearing from ya!

Thank you, you as well....
I hope I haven't been keeping anyone in suspense! I have too many projects and still haven't finished the carb. I just about finished cleaning every piece though and hopefully finish tomorrow. luck
I know I said I was going to use one of the smaller check weights but I decided to grind down the longer one I ordered. The one size .7"x.17" which is too long but just the right width... The smaller ones were just too loose and even though they probably would work I wanted to get as close as possible! I've included a picture of the weights side by side and the larger one in the carb... I think it's as close to the original as it's going to get, I'm happy with that! grin

One more very important thing... I've been reading about and saw a video by Mike's Carburetors that I can spray the gaskets with silicone spray or use gasoline on them to be able to reuse them, it keeps them from sticking and tearing??? I like the idea just in case I have to take it back apart... Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

IMG_20211205_160301271.jpgIMG_20211205_160227543.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 12/05/21 09:54 PM.
Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #2992515
12/06/21 11:24 AM
12/06/21 11:24 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
soak the gaskets in wd40 a little while and they should not stick.

and after you rebuild you carb just make sure you do NOT have any WATER/MOISTURE in your fuel tank/line/filter/pump

I just figured this out myself after 350$ of troubleshooting/rebuilding as I had hard starting-no starting and what I thought was vapor locking THEN no ign spark with low power/carb backfire/stalling & exhaust backfire

2 carbs x2 rebuilds

2 ign. systems.

fuel pump then convert to eclectic pump with a return line.

found 1.5 gallons of water in 22-gallon tank when I drained it, flushed it.

complete fix was a can of BG fuel drier!

nothing more disappointing than rebuilding 2 different carbs only to fill them with water/fuel again to finally figuring out the issue and rebuild one a 3x after a tank flush/fuel drier/22 gallons run through it. engine runs great now.

if I had only started by checking the fuel first.

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #2992693
12/06/21 09:23 PM
12/06/21 09:23 PM
SoCal
R
RustyDuster Offline
enthusiast
RustyDuster  Offline
enthusiast
R

SoCal
Hi B300,

I fished out the check weight that I believe came out of a 2210 that I presume is stock and it measured .182 and .667 on my calipers for reference. Keep in mind my caliper says "West Germany" on it so its a bit old but probably still good!

Regarding the gaskets, the ones from the Hygrade kits seem to have less problem with sticking. Although an experienced mechanic (Uncle Tony) has suggested that the old Holley gaskets were purposely made sticky to compensate for warping in the carb castings that Holley became aware of somewhere along the line.

Another poster mentioned checking gas tank and if you haven't done so, now is a great time to do it. There's nothing more frustrating than gumming up a newly rebuilt needle and seat due to particulate matter in that tank!

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: scratchnfotraction] #2993415
12/08/21 11:17 PM
12/08/21 11:17 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by scratchnfotraction
soak the gaskets in wd40 a little while and they should not stick.

and after you rebuild you carb just make sure you do NOT have any WATER/MOISTURE in your fuel tank/line/filter/pump

I just figured this out myself after 350$ of troubleshootin/rebuilding as I had hard starting-no starting and what I thought was vapor locking THEN no ign spark with low power/carb backfire/stalling & exhaust backfire

2 carbs x2 rebuilds

2 ign. systems.

fuel pump then convert to eclectic pump with a return line.

found 1.5 gallons of water in 22-gallon tank when I drained it, flushed it.

complete fix was a can of BG fuel drier!

nothing more disappointing than rebuilding 2 different carbs only to fill them with water/fuel again to finally figuring out the issue and rebuild one a 3x after a tank flush/fuel drier/22 gallons run through it. engine runs great now.

if I had only started by checking the fuel first.

I ended up having a can of spray silicone and went that route, apparently you can coat most gaskets with lubricants and I always thought they were, in general, supposed to be installed dry or with adhesive... That was surprising...
I didn't flush the lines or tank because I had just been on a short drive where I I ran the tank dry so I'm pretty sure there's no water in the system... I also have a clear fuel filter and no separation...

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: RustyDuster] #2993461
12/09/21 04:53 AM
12/09/21 04:53 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by RustyDuster
Hi B300,

I fished out the check weight that I believe came out of a 2210 that I presume is stock and it measured .182 and .667 on my calipers for reference. Keep in mind my caliper says "West Germany" on it so its a bit old but probably still good!

Regarding the gaskets, the ones from the Hygrade kits seem to have less problem with sticking. Although an experienced mechanic (Uncle Tony) has suggested that the old Holley gaskets were purposely made sticky to compensate for warping in the carb castings that Holley became aware of somewhere along the line.

Another poster mentioned checking gas tank and if you haven't done so, now is a great time to do it. There's nothing more frustrating than gumming up a newly rebuilt needle and seat due to particulate matter in that tank!

Hey Rusty, it would seem I got as close as possible in needle size with what I could find but unfortunately I don't know if it made any change as I finished installing the carb and still can't get the engine to run!! whiney

In regards to water in the system I didn't flush it because I had just ran the tank dry a few gallons prior to the break down. I ran the tank dry and filled it with fresh gas and it drove like it always did for about 25 miles and then it broke down. I also put a new fuel filter on and cleared the line from the filter to the carb before attaching it to the carb.

I started it and it ran at low idle for about 15 seconds until I gassed it and it backfired then died... I can get it to start and idle very low for a few seconds but it dies...
I noticed my carb is warped, here's a picture... I had to put rtv in the crack because no way the gasket was going to seal it! So much for spraying the gaskets...
IDK what to do now... I'm pretty sure I did a good job cleaning and rebuilding it... Could it be something other than the carb??? shruggy

Oh! I also thought I should mention that I ran the 12v test on the choke thermostat coil and there was no reaction... Not sure if this would have

IMG_20211207_095703164.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 12/09/21 05:21 AM.
Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #2993507
12/09/21 09:50 AM
12/09/21 09:50 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
on a bunch of the old holley double pumper I have flat filed the main body & throttle plates flat when warped slightly.

if you can not file it flat then maybe 2 gaskets would seal the gap.

if not you have parts for another used carb or a reman carb that might need correcting.

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #2993540
12/09/21 11:26 AM
12/09/21 11:26 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
RTV and gas is a no-no. Pull it back apart and get it in a press to straighten it. The air cleaner stud should go all the way through to the base to keep this from happening, If your air horn has the stud tapped into the top air horn you have a 76 or older carb. There was an old TSB that had instructions along with a bridge kit to help correct this.

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: NITROUSN] #2993578
12/09/21 12:37 PM
12/09/21 12:37 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
out of curiosity, have you taken the sending unit out of the tank to check for a clogged pickup sock ? shruggy
beer

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: NITROUSN] #2993624
12/09/21 02:21 PM
12/09/21 02:21 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
RTV and gas is a no-no. Pull it back apart and get it in a press to straighten it. The air cleaner stud should go all the way through to the base to keep this from happening, If your air horn has the stud tapped into the top air horn you have a 76 or older carb. There was an old TSB that had instructions along with a bridge kit to help correct this.

The air cleaner stud goes down into the main body of the carb but the hole is damaged, almost stripped but still works with some plumbers tape! Is plumbers tape also a no no?
If I pull it back apart I'll have to buy another rebuild kit since I put rtv on the top gasket where the gap is... shake_head

We'll, I kinda have some good news... I went out this morning and started the motor and it ran at low idle for a good minute or two(better than yesterday) but adjusting the mixture screws isn't doing much... It also backfires out of the carb and dies when I press the gas...

Could this be valve related maybe? I feal like whatever issue I'm having is something else and not the carb... I'm probably wrong though...
The book says it could be egr, timing, vacuum leak, damaged valve springs or float adjustment...???

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: moparx] #2993625
12/09/21 02:25 PM
12/09/21 02:25 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by moparx
out of curiosity, have you taken the sending unit out of the tank to check for a clogged pickup sock ? shruggy
beer

I have not... Wouldn't that show in the stream coming out of the carb??? In other words there shouldn't be much fuel squirting into the carb if the sock is clogged correct?? The streams into the carb look good...

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #2993632
12/09/21 02:43 PM
12/09/21 02:43 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
maybe, maybe not. depending on when and how you visualized the carb squirt.
i had a 74 newyorker stump me with this one time. although it didn't backfire, it ran great, then would just quit. sometimes going down the road, idling, WOT, you never knew when.
i replaced the fuel pump, filter, rebuilt the carb, on and on.
then for some reason, and i can't remember why, i pulled the tank, and found it crusty and the sock plugged.
now i had owned this car for a while, and did not have any problems with it. oil changes, fresh gas all the time , etc.

i know this may be a very LONG shot, but who knows ? shruggy
just throwing something out there that may, or may not be even remotely related.

and i just thought of something else that bit me in the azz one time, causing similar problems. my cousin Charlie's model A hot rod.
that turned out to be a PLUGGED "vented" gas cap ! shock
same deal. run good, good carb stream, then poof ! quit ! ....... fire up ok right after, then same thing.

as 'ol Cab says, "that DADGUMMED Murphy guy !" rant panic biggrin
beer

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: moparx] #2993710
12/09/21 05:36 PM
12/09/21 05:36 PM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
is the float set too low?

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: moparx] #2993716
12/09/21 05:56 PM
12/09/21 05:56 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by moparx
maybe, maybe not. depending on when and how you visualized the carb squirt.
i had a 74 newyorker stump me with this one time. although it didn't backfire, it ran great, then would just quit. sometimes going down the road, idling, WOT, you never knew when.
i replaced the fuel pump, filter, rebuilt the carb, on and on.
then for some reason, and i can't remember why, i pulled the tank, and found it crusty and the sock plugged.
now i had owned this car for a while, and did not have any problems with it. oil changes, fresh gas all the time , etc.

i know this may be a very LONG shot, but who knows ? shruggy
just throwing something out there that may, or may not be even remotely related.

and i just thought of something else that bit me in the azz one time, causing similar problems. my cousin Charlie's model A hot rod.
that turned out to be a PLUGGED "vented" gas cap ! shock
same deal. run good, good carb stream, then poof ! quit ! ....... fire up ok right after, then same thing.

as 'ol Cab says, "that DADGUMMED Murphy guy !" rant panic biggrin
beer

I guess it's possible... I'll put that on the list of things to check...
It's looking like I'm going to have to pull the carb and rebuild again anyway because the gaskets are swamped with fuel! I know I torqued the screws tight enough and the new gaskets match the old gaskets, except for the one that meets the carb at the manifold.
I have to flatten the surfaces anyway and get rid of the rtv I guess... I'll be ordering a Walker kit because they give you ALL the gaskets! The Carter kit I just bought only comes with the ones for that exact model but somehow give you the wrong carb to manifold gasket for the 2210!

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B1MAXX] #2993718
12/09/21 06:00 PM
12/09/21 06:00 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by B1MAXX
is the float set too low?

I measured the float level a handful of times before assembly... I'm sure it's not the float level...

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #2993851
12/09/21 09:44 PM
12/09/21 09:44 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Too bad you are so far away. I have 4 or 5 of these carbs sitting in my lower garage I'd give you. I've always replaced these 2bbls with a 4 bbl carb & intake.

From past experience, if the top is (or has been) warped, those carbs never work right. When the top gets distorted, I believe it messes other stuff up. You can press them flat, and file them flat, but most still didn't work well afterwards (I rebuilt carbs for a shop for several years).

Just a few comments about your expectations concerning your 360. I've owned a lot of them, and 15 mpg is probably not going to happen, maybe a rare long trip on flat ground a time or two over a 1000 fill ups. Those motors are a 8-12 mpg motors, regardless of what they were installed in, or regardless of any thing you try to do to improve the mpg. I could get near 12 more often with a 4 barrel carb, but rarely got there with a 2 bbl. You can make a lot of power with a 360, and they can built to be very fast, or they can be built to drag a house off its foundation, just don't expect more the 8-12 mpg at best (many were 8-10 mpg).

The fuel sock in the tank could be a problem, as could any hose in the fuel line, or any steel line that looks a little crusty. Any original looking hose or steel line is game to cause a problem. You only need a restricted fuel flow enough to empty the float bowl for a few seconds to make a motor die.

A plugged vented gas cap is as easy to check, remove the cap, leave it off, and see if the motor runs longer. If it does, replace the cap. I suspect your 79 van does not have a vented cap, it likely has a vent line that goes to a carbon canister, but if that vented line is plugged, or partially plugged, you can still test that by removing the gas cap. If removing the gas cap makes it run longer, you need to check your gas tank vent system. Again, any original looking hose or steel line could be the problem, if a vent problem is found. If removing the gas cap does not solve your problem, anything you do with the vent system won't help and would be a waste of time and money at this point. Gene

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: poorboy] #2993916
12/10/21 01:48 AM
12/10/21 01:48 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
My 2002 360 magnum was injected and got 12 to 14 in a 3/4 ton van on all interstate trips.
Don't think a carbed one can do it.
The carbed one I had got 10 to 11

Last edited by 340SIX; 12/10/21 01:53 AM.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: poorboy] #2994037
12/10/21 01:33 PM
12/10/21 01:33 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by poorboy
Too bad you are so far away. I have 4 or 5 of these carbs sitting in my lower garage I'd give you. I've always replaced these 2bbls with a 4 bbl carb & intake.

From past experience, if the top is (or has been) warped, those carbs never work right. When the top gets distorted, I believe it messes other stuff up. You can press them flat, and file them flat, but most still didn't work well afterwards (I rebuilt carbs for a shop for several years).

Just a few comments about your expectations concerning your 360. I've owned a lot of them, and 15 mpg is probably not going to happen, maybe a rare long trip on flat ground a time or two over a 1000 fill ups. Those motors are a 8-12 mpg motors, regardless of what they were installed in, or regardless of any thing you try to do to improve the mpg. I could get near 12 more often with a 4 barrel carb, but rarely got there with a 2 bbl. You can make a lot of power with a 360, and they can built to be very fast, or they can be built to drag a house off its foundation, just don't expect more the 8-12 mpg at best (many were 8-10 mpg).

The fuel sock in the tank could be a problem, as could any hose in the fuel line, or any steel line that looks a little crusty. Any original looking hose or steel line is game to cause a problem. You only need a restricted fuel flow enough to empty the float bowl for a few seconds to make a motor die.

A plugged vented gas cap is as easy to check, remove the cap, leave it off, and see if the motor runs longer. If it does, replace the cap. I suspect your 79 van does not have a vented cap, it likely has a vent line that goes to a carbon canister, but if that vented line is plugged, or partially plugged, you can still test that by removing the gas cap. If removing the gas cap makes it run longer, you need to check your gas tank vent system. Again, any original looking hose or steel line could be the problem, if a vent problem is found. If removing the gas cap does not solve your problem, anything you do with the vent system won't help and would be a waste of time and money at this point. Gene

I've given up any hope of getting better mileage at this point...
Yea too bad I don't live closer, wherever you are... If you're willing to ship one I'll gladly pay... Honestly though if this carb doesn't work out I'll give getting a 4barrel and intake some serious thought... I don't really have much money though so that wouldn't happen any time soon and I hate to leave my van just sitting because where I live the rats will get to the motor and destroy it!

Yes I have an evap canister venting the tank... My gas cap isn't vented and never actually sat snug against the lip of the filler tube... I recently put an extra gasket on the cap to lessen the gap and it still won't sit perfectly snug against the opening... I'm going to go double check the carb adjustments and then pop that cap off and see what happens...

It's weird that this happened at the exact time my drive shaft fell off! Maybe it's just coincidence? I already looked for any damage but didn't see anything... Maybe I missed something? Maybe the shaft pinched a line or something...

I better get started because everytime I try and start the van I drain the battery and it takes about 2 hrs to charge on my generator...

Thanks for the info and if it's something that'll help my situation I'll pay shipping for one of those carbs if your willing to send one!
Thanks!

Re: Engine not starting, carb backfires! [Re: 340SIX] #2994038
12/10/21 01:34 PM
12/10/21 01:34 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by 340SIX
My 2002 360 magnum was injected and got 12 to 14 in a 3/4 ton van on all interstate trips.
Don't think a carbed one can do it.
The carbed one I had got 10 to 11

Mines about 10mpgs... shake_head

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11