08/28/21 12:51 PM
08/28/21 12:51 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline OP
master
70sixpkrt  Offline OP
master

South San Francisco, Ca
I have my back seat out and wondering which Dynamat I should use for sound and heat barrier. I'm only doing the area under the back seat. I was looking at their website and they show a bunch of different ones. What are people using just under the back seat?

IMG_6439.jpg

[img]http://www.imgur.com/hxlGUJt.gif[/img]
4-speed
3:54 Dana
13.01 @107.93 with street tires (not hooking up)
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: 70sixpkrt] #2958319
08/28/21 01:00 PM
08/28/21 01:00 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
I bought an "off" brand, I should have read the listing, it did not have the adhesive backing,,, so I had to use spray glue. Just make sure you get the "peal off" backing.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #2958349
08/28/21 02:31 PM
08/28/21 02:31 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
IIRC, there's one type that is kinda tar-like on its backside - and I've heard heat can cause that to melt out.

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: topside] #2958354
08/28/21 02:39 PM
08/28/21 02:39 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline OP
master
70sixpkrt  Offline OP
master

South San Francisco, Ca
How about Fatmat?

4-speed
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: 70sixpkrt] #2958361
08/28/21 03:16 PM
08/28/21 03:16 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Originally Posted by 70sixpkrt
How about Fatmat?

I know you're looking for someone's personal recommendation (which I prefer as well), but in the meantime, have a quick look at this:
https://soundproofguide.com/fatmat-vs-kilmat-vs-noico-vs-dynamat/

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: Fat_Mike] #2958369
08/28/21 03:41 PM
08/28/21 03:41 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline OP
master
70sixpkrt  Offline OP
master

South San Francisco, Ca
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Originally Posted by 70sixpkrt
How about Fatmat?

I know you're looking for someone's personal recommendation (which I prefer as well), but in the meantime, have a quick look at this:
https://soundproofguide.com/fatmat-vs-kilmat-vs-noico-vs-dynamat/

Good article.

4-speed
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: 70sixpkrt] #2958435
08/28/21 07:11 PM
08/28/21 07:11 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
I've done with both my cars and my truck with Dynamat Extreme in bulk packs. I found it on sale on Amazon for about 1/2 off with free shipping. It is heavy. I do two layers on the wheel tubs, and one the entire floor, ceiling and doors(some strips inside and on the panel).

The key to insulating airplanes or cars is that products like dynamat are designed and are very good at reducing panel resonation, and not so much at reducing heat transfer. You actually don't even need to cover the entire surface, just use enough to stop the resonation of the panels.

For best sound deadening, heat and fume rejection, you must use a double sided foil covered insulating blanket type material on top of it. I get mine from Speedway Motors. Its very reasonably priced there.

I cocoon the entire interior from glass to glass with individually cut pieces that I tape together at the seams with that aluminum foil duct tape that has the peel off wax paper backing..I also do under the headliner, dash and doors.I tape down the edges just out of sight of the interior trim etc. By '70 E-Body sounds like you are sitting in a bank vault when you close the door. I swear it is as quiet as a Bentley rolling down the road. Most people are shocked at how much of a difference in terms of sound reduction/deadening and heat and fume rejection this technique provides. I learned how to do it this way reading about how they insulate small planes.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: jbc426] #2958441
08/28/21 07:23 PM
08/28/21 07:23 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jbc426
I've done with both my cars and my truck with Dynamat Extreme in bulk packs. I found it on sale on Amazon for about 1/2 off with free shipping. It is heavy. I do two layers on the wheel tubs, and one the entire floor, ceiling and doors(some strips inside and on the panel).

The key to insulating airplanes or cars is that products like dynamat are designed and are very good at reducing panel resonation, and not so much at reducing heat transfer. You actually don't even need to cover the entire surface, just use enough to stop the resonation of the panels.

For best sound deadening, heat and fume rejection, you must use a double sided foil covered insulating blanket type material on top of it. I get mine from Speedway Motors. Its very reasonably priced there.

I cocoon the entire interior from glass to glass with individually cut pieces that I tape together at the seams with that aluminum foil duct tape that has the peel off wax paper backing..I also do under the headliner, dash and doors.I tape down the edges just out of sight of the interior trim etc. By '70 E-Body sounds like you are sitting in a bank vault when you close the door. I swear it is as quiet as a Bentley rolling down the road. Most people are shocked at how much of a difference in terms of sound reduction/deadening and heat and fume rejection this technique provides. I learned how to do it this way reading about how they insulate small planes.

I cannot begin to imagine how much added weight that is.

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: jbc426] #2958456
08/28/21 08:36 PM
08/28/21 08:36 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

I cocoon the entire interior from glass to glass with individually cut pieces that I tape together at the seams with that aluminum foil duct tape that has the peel off wax paper backing..I also do under the headliner, dash and doors.I tape down the edges just out of sight of the interior trim etc. By '70 E-Body sounds like you are sitting in a bank vault when you close the door. I swear it is as quiet as a Bentley rolling down the road. Most people are shocked at how much of a difference in terms of sound reduction/deadening and heat and fumSPEEDWAY INSULATION LINK ?e rejection this technique provides. I learned how to do it this way reading about how they insulate small planes.

Is this the product your referring to (See LINK)? shruggy

SPEEDWAY INSUALTION LINKY

Last edited by TJP; 08/28/21 08:38 PM.
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: TJP] #2958487
08/28/21 09:47 PM
08/28/21 09:47 PM
Slidell, LA
Plum440 Offline
pro stock
Plum440  Offline
pro stock

Slidell, LA
Killmat from Amazon is a good product and half the cost of the other name brand types.

70 Challenger, 440, 4-speed, pLuM cRaZy
71 VW Super Beetle Convertible, Lemon Yellow
A couple of Jeeps…

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: Plum440] #2958514
08/28/21 11:42 PM
08/28/21 11:42 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Plum440
Killmat from Amazon is a good product and half the cost of the other name brand types.

IIf you don't mind seeing their name spread all across the stuff. If you don't want to see advertising, NOICO is only a buck or so higher in silver, or another buck higher in black. I've used the .080 thickness in black, on 3 vehicles now. It sticks well to the metal, and isn't bad to work with, as long as the area isn't too confined. You have to roll it out with a roller to complete the job, sand that hand held roller is 1" in diameter.

For heat insulation, you need to cover every inch of the metal surface. If the OP is just covering the areas under the seat, none of that stuff will be an effective heat barrier. Vibration, yes, heat barrier, nope.

For the guy asking about weight, a 36 SQ Ft package of NOICO weighs somewhere around 17 lbs. I have 2 packages of the .080 36 SQ FT packages inside of the cab of my 49 Dodge truck, everything is covered except the inside of the doors. There was not enough material to cover the insides of both doors, and getting that stuff inside of those doors would have been a huge challenge.

Picture of the truck for cab size reference. Gene.

100_0676.JPG
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: poorboy] #2958576
08/29/21 08:05 AM
08/29/21 08:05 AM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
If I may ask a question, I can't help but wonder if i were to put it on the underside of my roof (i'm just weeks away from cloth headliner replacement on my 1970 Swinger build) with a cloth headliner, that sitting in the South Florida sun, it would take about a half hour and it would drip down through onto my head and interior possibly ruining everything! Please advise with actual first hand experience. Thanks
Copper

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: TJP] #2958577
08/29/21 08:07 AM
08/29/21 08:07 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
Originally Posted by TJP

I cocoon the entire interior from glass to glass with individually cut pieces that I tape together at the seams with that aluminum foil duct tape that has the peel off wax paper backing..I also do under the headliner, dash and doors.I tape down the edges just out of sight of the interior trim etc. By '70 E-Body sounds like you are sitting in a bank vault when you close the door. I swear it is as quiet as a Bentley rolling down the road. Most people are shocked at how much of a difference in terms of sound reduction/deadening and heat and fumSPEEDWAY INSULATION LINK ?e rejection this technique provides. I learned how to do it this way reading about how they insulate small planes.

Is this the product your referring to (See LINK)? shruggy

SPEEDWAY INSUALTION LINKY

Yes, that is it.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: Sniper] #2958578
08/29/21 08:11 AM
08/29/21 08:11 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
Originally Posted by Sniper

It adds 15lbs for each full bulk pack of Dynamat Extreme.. I used 3 packs on my '70 E-Body, The foil insulator adds a couple pounds too.

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: jbc426] #2958592
08/29/21 09:20 AM
08/29/21 09:20 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Sniper

It adds 15lbs for each full bulk pack of Dynamat Extreme.. I used 3 packs on my '70 E-Body, The foil insulator adds a couple pounds too.

Thanks, I think what was confusing me was the cocooning statement. Didn't realize that it was foil backed jute you were referring to in that statement. I had thought it was all Dynamat, lol.

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: Copper Dart] #2958676
08/29/21 01:14 PM
08/29/21 01:14 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by Copper Dart
If I may ask a question, I can't help but wonder if i were to put it on the underside of my roof (i'm just weeks away from cloth headliner replacement on my 1970 Swinger build) with a cloth headliner, that sitting in the South Florida sun, it would take about a half hour and it would drip down through onto my head and interior possibly ruining everything! Please advise with actual first hand experience. Thanks
Copper

I used fatmat in the roof of an E body in place of the OEM insulation. The car is also a black vinyl top car as well.
No funky smells or drips in the headliner of any kind.
And that car is going on being done maybe 7 or 8 years now I guess ,,,maybe more

I want to cool the interior down in my car . Radiant heat out here is a mother
I just ordered a 50 sqft roll of 080 fatmat for it.
Im going to cover the floorboards from the base of the steering column and heater box all the way back under the rear seat .

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: gtx6970] #2958716
08/29/21 03:23 PM
08/29/21 03:23 PM
South San Francisco, Ca
70sixpkrt Offline OP
master
70sixpkrt  Offline OP
master

South San Francisco, Ca
Thanks everyone. I just ordered some Kilmat from Amazon. It was the cheapest since I don't need a lot. I'm only doing the area under the rear seat.

4-speed
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: gtx6970] #2958795
08/29/21 07:28 PM
08/29/21 07:28 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
Is fatmat peel and stick?
thanks

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: topside] #2958834
08/29/21 08:56 PM
08/29/21 08:56 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by topside
IIRC, there's one type that is kinda tar-like on its backside - and I've heard heat can cause that to melt out.

I have always used name brands when installing in customers cars, Why? The above statement.
Several of my customers have bought finished cars and experienced the above issue even when parked inside on a warm day. twocents beer

Re: Which Dynamat To Use? [Re: Copper Dart] #2958855
08/29/21 10:02 PM
08/29/21 10:02 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by Copper Dart
Is fatmat peel and stick?
thanks