Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by abodyjoe
before you spend a dollar buying that house have the septic inspected buy a top notch company.. one that will send cameras down there.. chances are at 20 years old its going to fail... can cost big money to fix.. 15 years ago it cost 11k to out in a new leach field at our place.. had the seller put that money in escrow for use to have it done..

Mine's 32+ years old....zero issues

Thats the next question I guess; how long DO they last? I'm hoping a LONG time.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2935813
06/22/21 09:12 PM
06/22/21 09:12 PM
Cincinnati, OH
6T6Cuda Offline
top fuel
6T6Cuda  Offline
top fuel

Cincinnati, OH
(I am no expert), but there are a few types of systems and you should figure out what type you have. The biggest difference is the aerobic and anaerobic (random article I have not read, but do some research: https://septictankpro.com/difference-between-aerobic-and-anaerobic-septic-systems/), they operate differently and have very different complexities and maintenance requirements.

I have a "jet" system with a stirrer and an air pump - both those require maintenance, electric and will need to be replaced at some point in time. But I don't have leach lines as the effluent runs into the flowing creak on my property. "they" say you can drink the water coming out, but not sure if i'd try...

Depending upon the age and design, they are supper simple just three tanks (around here) not much to go wrong as long as the tanks hold up - but the concrete ones can crack (usually roots or perhaps freezing), and the plastic ones have been known to "float up" although I have never seen or personally heard of it. but there is not much that "can go wrong" it is just a tank.

Now the leach lines that is a totally different story - if you have them (I don't), they can get crushed, over saturated, filled up with solids, etc... so that is where I think I would focus my energy on. Plus being on a lake, be careful about the water table, that might be a MAJOR factor in the requirements and what you can "run" - they don't want "it" to filter into the water too fast and having a high water table means it will get into the water faster...

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: Dcuda69] #2936616
06/25/21 07:54 AM
06/25/21 07:54 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
before you spend a dollar buying that house have the septic inspected buy a top notch company.. one that will send cameras down there.. chances are at 20 years old its going to fail... can cost big money to fix.. 15 years ago it cost 11k to out in a new leach field at our place.. had the seller put that money in escrow for use to have it done..

doesn't mean it will pass an inspection when selling though.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: abodyjoe] #2936666
06/25/21 11:35 AM
06/25/21 11:35 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI

doesn't mean it will pass an inspection when selling though.

Maybe.....but it was pumped/ inspected by a licensed firm last year.......all good.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2936861
06/26/21 07:23 AM
06/26/21 07:23 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
Originally Posted by 71TA

Thats the next question I guess; how long DO they last? I'm hoping a LONG time.

As long as it's not totally abused, they can last a very long time.

The one at my in-law's cottage was installed in 1981 and still seems to operate without issue.

A lot of my own extended family are farmers and/or live in the country and AFAIK none have had any issues of significance. Pretty sure that the one at my grandparents' old place is still the original one from 1958.

As others have pointed out, you can't use the septic system as a general garbage disposal and expect no problems. i.e. don't flush any paper that's not toilet paper, don't flush hair, don't flush tons of harsh chemicals (i.e. bleach or lye), don't use the toilet blue dye stuff etc.

Based on how you've described the rest of the place, the prior maintenance and the photo you've shown, I think that the odds are in your favour.

More importantly, you deserve to have and enjoy a nice place like that -- you've more than paid your dues.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: YYZ] #2943632
07/15/21 06:15 PM
07/15/21 06:15 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
WHEW. that was a gigantic learning curve.

So I paid for an inspector. He said the county had no records of any septic replacement on this 20yo house so that meant everything was the original SIXTY YEAR OLD SYSTEM. I called the owner out on it. They told me they contacted the original owner, the people they bought it from, and he confirmed that it was never replaced. So he spent cubic dollars on the house but never replaced the septic that was meant to support a cottage not 3500sqft!?!?

Now I was very skeptical. The owner, to ease my nerves, gives me an inspection another buyer that backed out had done. The first paragraph says "MAJOR PROBLEM - TANK OVERFLOWING". The owner tells me, "yep, we had it pumped". So pumping was basically a coverup of a failing or failed system. Shocked they showed that to me?!?!

I contacted the local goto septic guy expert. He said on this high water table island everyone will eventually have issues and they are all installing mounded systems. Just what it sounds like. A mound of dirt for the leach field to be able to drain into. To replace everything, $25,000 PLUS 2 huge trees have to come down. The trees border the septic field and are probably already causing big problems.

I tried to get them to eat the septic cost and I would take the trees down which is probably $5000+. They are playing hard ball and said NO.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2943654
07/15/21 07:05 PM
07/15/21 07:05 PM
Morrow, OH
markz528 Offline
master
markz528  Offline
master

Morrow, OH
I'm under contract to buy a house. 5 acres built in 1996. Lots of outbuildings. Other than the original house and 1996 septic, no permits. Last few days were spent working on that. but think we are good. Original septic permit is a little difficult to decipher, but where it looks like the septic permit shows the tank and start of the leach field sits the pool. No permit to put the pool in and no permit to move the septic............

Some people..........

67 Coronet 500 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
67 Coronet 500 (street car) 14.82 @ 94 mph
69 GTX (clone) - build in progress......
Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2943673
07/15/21 07:50 PM
07/15/21 07:50 PM
Addison Twp, Mi.
RobG Offline
top fuel
RobG  Offline
top fuel

Addison Twp, Mi.
Your $25000 estimate is way to low. Add another $10k for an engineered system BASED ON TODAYS PRICES!

What did the county Health Department say? What are the local township building requirements for the septic field.

And...if it is bad already...have the drinking water tested.

I am not rich...but I get off my ass everyday to make sure I am not broke!

Can we get the Mexican cartels to help us with our supply chain issues? They don't seem to have any trouble getting stuff from one place to another.
Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: markz528] #2943677
07/15/21 07:52 PM
07/15/21 07:52 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
My cousins family bought a house, passed it down a couple times and after 30 years being in the family the septic backed up, they decided to replace it, when they dug up the old one that had been there at least 30 years the only thing there was a pipe dumping into an upside down pickup bed.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: HotRodDave] #2943763
07/15/21 10:21 PM
07/15/21 10:21 PM
garnett kansas
rhad Offline
super stock
rhad  Offline
super stock

garnett kansas
about 15 yrs ago i was at a place in texas called lake of the pines,they couldnt use lateral lines because someone somewhere was using the lake water for drinking,so this guy had a septic that had a lawn sprinkler system made with it,he had to put i think he said clorine in the tank every so often and the sprinkler worked automatically when the level got so high,the water that came out of the sprinkler was pretty clean and clear,nothing drained into the lake,his grass growed good

my ladder of success is missing some rungs
Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2943774
07/15/21 11:02 PM
07/15/21 11:02 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Septic systems that close to the water is going to be a problem. I have a brother in law who just went thru that hassle with a house on an island. They had to put in some sort of above ground sand filter system.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: AndyF] #2945699
07/21/21 04:39 PM
07/21/21 04:39 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by AndyF
Septic systems that close to the water is going to be a problem. I have a brother in law who just went thru that hassle with a house on an island. They had to put in some sort of above ground sand filter system.

I Googled the HELL outta all the options. Saw the Sand Filter one. This Old House actually installed one. Looked like a mini waste water treatment plant and from what I read is a service nightmare.

One option that looked interesting is a LARGE incinerator. Sucks the black water out based on a float and incinerates - steam for the water and ash for the little waste. Bad thing is it needs a building that looked to be like a 1 car garage, costs an estimated $300/mth in utilities and what's the lifespan, 20 years maybe? Bad thing is I would have NO extra room for a one car garage on this 50 x 250 lot.

Sellers, once we called them out on the 60yo septic "that they didn't know about" (right!), said they are replacing the whole system if I'm still interested. No extra cost. Told them I was interested but want to see all the paperwork, permits, etc on the new septic. Crickets so far.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2945892
07/22/21 03:05 AM
07/22/21 03:05 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Sellers, once we called them out on the 60yo septic "that they didn't know about" (right!), said they are replacing the whole system if I'm still interested. No extra cost. Told them I was interested but want to see all the paperwork, permits, etc on the new septic. Crickets so far.

With this dishonesty I would want pictures as well.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2945940
07/22/21 09:42 AM
07/22/21 09:42 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Hey Jim. 60YO is really pushing it.
Usually by that time something has damaged it but may or may not have been identified.

If it is overflowing like the inspection said, the drain field is probably plugged up similar to what happened to the place I did most of my
growing up. Lakefront in Oakland County. Family moved into it in the early '70s and by the late '90s the drain field was plugged up
for whatever reason, most likely roots and/or vehicle damage, which then caused the tank to overflow (common problem).
The tank itself was still okay but the whole septic field was replaced.

Of course, the entire street-facing yard had to be destroyed to replace it and it cost my parents a pile of money.

I'm pretty happy to have municipal water and sewer at my place.

Much as I might miss the lakefront scenery like I grew up with, I don't miss the constant, difficult property maintenance, power going out
all the time because it's one of the oldest/first populated places in the area because of the lake/the grid is old garbage from around 1950...
plenty of trees to take out wires, wonderful iron content in the well water, water softener maintenance to get around the well water issue,
no water when the power goes out, and on and on. The property taxes are insane/whole other topic.

Haven't lived there in many years but it's still part of the family estate, and I am getting really tired of maintenance costs/time spent managing it.
The time suck is one of many reasons I haven't had much to say on Moparts anytime lately.......
Signed recently to replace the roof. 13 grand. Ugh. It's an appreciating money pit.

Good luck with your decision, sure is a nice looking place.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: ZIPPY] #2946411
07/23/21 05:02 PM
07/23/21 05:02 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Hear you on the roofing cost. Mine too was $13k last time maybe 10 years ago. Ouch.

So the sellers came back and offered to replace the septic and that they received quotes and an inspection from the county. They supplied all the paperwork. I told them we'll just split their quoted prices, take it off the price of the house, and I'll handle the septic. That'll give me time to investigate my options. Remove 2 large trees that they didn't want to remove - didn't want heavy equipment driving over a new septic/leach field. So once I sign paperwork tonight I'll have a house on an island. CRAZY, I know. Can't wait! Did I mention I presently live in a city that borders Detroit? Detroit is effing crazy!!!!! On the 15min drive home on the highway cars pass me at WELL over 100mph EVERY DAY. Gunfire all the time from Detroit our INTO bordering city. The local joke is "is that fireworks again?". I'm sure its the same craziness we all see on the national news in all large cities. I'm just trying to put a MOAT and a ferry ride between me and all THAT.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: 71TA] #2946458
07/23/21 07:35 PM
07/23/21 07:35 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Reducing the price of the house and taking care of it yourself is the best approach. The sellers have zero incentive to have the job done correctly since they aren't going to live there anymore so odds are that you would end up with a low quality job. This way you can hire a good contractor and make sure the job is done correctly so it will be trouble free for the next 30 or 40 years.

Re: Septic tank on lake house questions [Re: AndyF] #2946653
07/24/21 02:46 PM
07/24/21 02:46 PM
Addison Twp, Mi.
RobG Offline
top fuel
RobG  Offline
top fuel

Addison Twp, Mi.
Originally Posted by AndyF
Reducing the price of the house and taking care of it yourself is the best approach. The sellers have zero incentive to have the job done correctly since they aren't going to live there anymore so odds are that you would end up with a low quality job. This way you can hire a good contractor and make sure the job is done correctly so it will be trouble free for the next 30 or 40 years.

100% Agree!

I am not rich...but I get off my ass everyday to make sure I am not broke!

Can we get the Mexican cartels to help us with our supply chain issues? They don't seem to have any trouble getting stuff from one place to another.
Page 2 of 2 1 2