Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2930059
06/04/21 02:27 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Flat top pistons and open chamber heads? Have you ever checked the cranking pressure? It may pick up a little with a lower octane fuel. My last three engines have been pump gas builds. In all three I've tried higher octane gas and all have slowed down. The last one made 30 more hp on the dyno on pump 93 than on 98 race gas, even though it was tuned for the 98.

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: krautrock] #2930060
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by krautrock
Originally Posted by cspracer
I will post a picture of the headers on those heads when I go back to NC. Perhaps the Eddy heads your brother had were indeed the ones with straight plus vs angled. My understanding is the closed chambered Eddy heads all have the angled plugs and this is what causes the problem with the plug clearance. I tried everything and every plug I could find. Would not take even a "Shorty" plug.

here are good pics of 2" headers on the angled plug heads.
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/10hpmanifoldshookersupercompheadersonbigblockangle.php

are there 1-7/8" headers that use the same tubing layout as these headers?

Just double checked with my brother, he ran Hooker Comps on his iron head 440 and switched to TTI headers when he ran the Edelbrock heads. The heads have angled plugs. Sorry for the error. TTI does show the 1 7/8 headers fit both straight or angled. Good luck

Ok
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cudatom] #2930142
06/04/21 09:19 PM
06/04/21 09:19 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
[. TTI does show the 1 7/8 headers fit both straight or angled. Good luck [/quote]

Here's a picture TTI 1 7/8" With Edelbrock RPM heads angled plugs.

Mark

August 14 2016 Kittens and RR 008.JPG

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: justinp61] #2930192
06/05/21 01:03 AM
06/05/21 01:03 AM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
I am going to figure this out soon. Thanks for the advice.

1968 - 383 Roadrunner 4 speed street car, Dad bought new
1970 - 440 Roadrunner drag footbrake car 6.99 1/8th
2016 - Hemi RAM 1500 - Hauls all the toys
North Georgia / Central NC
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2930195
06/05/21 01:41 AM
06/05/21 01:41 AM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
Here is the last update for this week.

While we still had a pretty good list of things to be done before we could race, my buddy came over at lunch and by 3:00 we were ready to load the car and take it to the track!
We got all of the new brakes and brake lines bled and found only one leak. The leak was not on any of the fitting we made, but rather on the fitting going directly into the caliper from Wilwood. We made some adjustments and got the leak to stop, so now we have great new disc brakes on the front of the car.
When we went to crank the car we had two issues.
#1 the main ground wire that goes to the charger connections on the back of the car was coming apart. This caused the starter to drag and not start even though we had a brand new battery. We realized the full charge was not getting to the starter and traced it back to this connection. Greg and I were able to clean this up, get a new fitting on the line and establish a much better ground. Now the starter turned right over.
#2 the intial timing was way off. Once we were able to get the car started and put a light on it, we found the timing to be off and when adjusted the car ran very smooth and cranked immediately.
Problems solved! Off to the track.

We arrived at Paradise later than I had hoped, but they were a bit behind schedule as well and so it gave us plenty of time to test the brakes, and check things out. The brakes worked far better than ever and I felt super safe and thrilled to be back behind the seat.
They do things a little different at this track than I am used to. They let everyone take a few warm up laps down the track to get their cars warmed up. By the time we were ready to take ours, they had flipped over to actual time runs. Since this was my first time at the track running, I was not clear on what I was doing, and so I took it very easy on the first pass. Car felt good, I was ready to lay down a better time next round.

Round 2 - I went in and staged and ran like I normally would. The car jumped off the line and felt like it had a bit of a spin down most of the track, but the car felt strong. It only ran a 7.5 but that felt really good for the first time running in 11 years. I was beside a dart and beat them pretty good. When I got back to the pits, they were checking the track. They were thinking I might have laid down some oil due to my car smoking a bit.
We looked closely and found the new valve cover gaskets I put on were leaking horribly. In addition, we did find one of the fittings going to the trans cooler a bit loose, so we tightened them up. We also pulled the valve cover gasket, added some sealant, dogged the screws down again and headed back to the staging lanes. This time I left the hood off the car and as soon as I brought the RPM's up the smoke started flowing out of the passenger side at that same gasket. I made a hit, but immediately saw smoke and let up, moving to the side out of the main racing groove. This time the track crew saw nothing at all on the track, but I was done for the night. I did not want to put anyone else at risk since our car was not right. It was kind of embarrassing to have my car look like this, but I realized this was not really a bad outing for a car that has not run in 11 years.

All in all it was a decent night for test and tune. The good thing is everything we worked on this week worked well except the valve cover gasket, so of course that gets me to my question of the day.

"What the heck are you all doing to get a decent seal on a valve cover gasket for a Mopar performance valve cover?"

I was running a Fel-Pro VS 50145 R. This is a black rubber material, without the tabs. I will never buy these again, completely useless in my opinion.

Oh and one more comment, not being negative but I was not that impressed with the Jegs Harness I bought. I had a nice Simpson one from before, but now that they have the dumb rule about changing belts every two years dang if I want to pay that much for a new harness. The problem I had with the Jegs belts were they were extremely difficult for me to hook. I caught the end of my finger in it and I am still typing this without using my left index finger. Sorry Jegs, would love to have something good to say about the belts but I really have used much better in the past.

Let's end on a positive note.
Wilwood brakes, big thumbs up!
Right Stuff master cylinder, thumbs up!
MSD distributor, thumbs up!
Autozone loan a tool program for flaring kit, thumbs up!
Jegs pre-made AN-6 5 & 6 ft steel braided lines for transmission cooler, thumbs up!
Getting to bed after 1:30am three out of the last 5 nights, but getting a car that has not run in 11 years to the track, and making a decent pass at a track you have never run before, and being back in the saddle as a Mopar drag racer, Super awesome big Thumbs Up!

I do want to thank the great folks at Paradise Dragstrip. Everyone there was super nice and helpful. Several people came up to me and made kind comments about my car. Thanks to my loving wife who supports my love of racing. Thanks to my buddy Greg who has been there by my side all week. I miss my dad, but it sure helps to have them both to enjoy this with.
We will be back, but we have a few things to work out first. I also want to thank once again the folks on this board for providing a lot of good opinions and perspectives that have given me new ideas. You guys are great and I appreciate your support. We will not be racing at Caffine and Octane at the drags, but I might still go just as a spectator this year.

PS: Sasquatch I want that M1!

Last edited by cspracer; 06/05/21 01:54 AM.

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2930200
06/05/21 06:16 AM
06/05/21 06:16 AM
Md.
C
carnut68 Offline
master
carnut68  Offline
master
C

Md.
Here is the last update for this week.

While we still had a pretty good list of things to be done before we could race, my buddy came over at lunch and by 3:00 we were ready to load the car and take it to the track!
We got all of the new brakes and brake lines bled and found only one leak. The leak was not on any of the fitting we made, but rather on the fitting going directly into the caliper from Wilwood. We made some adjustments and got the leak to stop, so now we have great new disc brakes on the front of the car.
When we went to crank the car we had two issues.
#1 the main ground wire that goes to the charger connections on the back of the car was coming apart. This caused the starter to drag and not start even though we had a brand new battery. We realized the full charge was not getting to the starter and traced it back to this connection. Greg and I were able to clean this up, get a new fitting on the line and establish a much better ground. Now the starter turned right over.
#2 the intial timing was way off. Once we were able to get the car started and put a light on it, we found the timing to be off and when adjusted the car ran very smooth and cranked immediately.
Problems solved! Off to the track.

We arrived at Paradise later than I had hoped, but they were a bit behind schedule as well and so it gave us plenty of time to test the brakes, and check things out. The brakes worked far better than ever and I felt super safe and thrilled to be back behind the seat.
They do things a little different at this track than I am used to. They let everyone take a few warm up laps down the track to get their cars warmed up. By the time we were ready to take ours, they had flipped over to actual time runs. Since this was my first time at the track running, I was not clear on what I was doing, and so I took it very easy on the first pass. Car felt good, I was ready to lay down a better time next round.

Round 2 - I went in and staged and ran like I normally would. The car jumped off the line and felt like it had a bit of a spin down most of the track, but the car felt strong. It only ran a 7.5 but that felt really good for the first time running in 11 years. I was beside a dart and beat them pretty good. When I got back to the pits, they were checking the track. They were thinking I might have laid down some oil due to my car smoking a bit.
We looked closely and found the new valve cover gaskets I put on were leaking horribly. In addition, we did find one of the fittings going to the trans cooler a bit loose, so we tightened them up. We also pulled the valve cover gasket, added some sealant, dogged the screws down again and headed back to the staging lanes. This time I left the hood off the car and as soon as I brought the RPM's up the smoke started flowing out of the passenger side at that same gasket. I made a hit, but immediately saw smoke and let up, moving to the side out of the main racing groove. This time the track crew saw nothing at all on the track, but I was done for the night. I did not want to put anyone else at risk since our car was not right. It was kind of embarrassing to have my car look like this, but I realized this was not really a bad outing for a car that has not run in 11 years.

All in all it was a decent night for test and tune. The good thing is everything we worked on this week worked well except the valve cover gasket, so of course that gets me to my question of the day.

"What the heck are you all doing to get a decent seal on a valve cover gasket for a Mopar performance valve cover?"

I was running a Fel-Pro VS 50145 R. This is a black rubber material, without the tabs. I will never buy these again, completely useless in my opinion.

Oh and one more comment, not being negative but I was not that impressed with the Jegs Harness I bought. I had a nice Simpson one from before, but now that they have the dumb rule about changing belts every two years dang if I want to pay that much for a new harness. The problem I had with the Jegs belts were they were extremely difficult for me to hook. I caught the end of my finger in it and I am still typing this without using my left index finger. Sorry Jegs, would love to have something good to say about the belts but I really have used much better in the past.

Let's end on a positive note.
Wilwood brakes, big thumbs up!
Right Stuff master cylinder, thumbs up!
MSD distributor, thumbs up!
Autozone loan a tool program for flaring kit, thumbs up!
Jegs pre-made AN-6 5 & 6 ft steel braided lines for transmission cooler, thumbs up!
Getting to bed after 1:30am three out of the last 5 nights, but getting a car that has not run in 11 years to the track, and making a decent pass at a track you have never run before, and being back in the saddle as a Mopar drag racer, Super awesome big Thumbs Up!

I do want to thank the great folks at Paradise Dragstrip. Everyone there was super nice and helpful. Several people came up to me and made kind comments about my car. Thanks to my loving wife who supports my love of racing. Thanks to my buddy Greg who has been there by my side all week. I miss my dad, but it sure helps to have them both to enjoy this with.
We will be back, but we have a few things to work out first. I also want to thank once again the folks on this board for providing a lot of good opinions and perspectives that have given me new ideas. You guys are great and I appreciate your support. We will not be racing at Caffine and Octane at the drags, but I might still go just as a spectator this year.

PS: Sasquatch I want that M1!

You got it running and made it to the track that was the goal. Let me guess on the valve cover gasket ..pass side front leaking? It was a big accomplishment esp since you weren't able to take the car out for any test hits b/4 you went to the track. I'm shooting to get mine to the the track next Fri eve. for test an tune. PS. It felt good to hear that 440 sing didn't it?

America First!
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: carnut68] #2930218
06/05/21 08:54 AM
06/05/21 08:54 AM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
Yes it did feel good. Yes it was the passenger side!

I was surprised at how many Mopars were at the track last night. It was a small turn out in general, as they just started running Fridays this week and there is another track not too far away running Friday night TNT as well. Out of about 40 cars there, I am going to say there were 10 Mopars, 12 mustangs and a mix of other cars. good to see some other Mopar folks there. Most of them were Darts and Dusters. A few late model street cars as well.

So now that it is the morning after, here is my evaluation of the next steps.
1. I still have an issue with the back brakes even though it is minimized by the effectiveness of the new front Wilwoods. We are going to replace the flex line on the rears, and may still run all new line to them. Down the road I can see the next conversion kit to put similar disc on the back. I have learned we have to plan ahead these days if you want parts!
2. We have to find the solution to the valve cover gasket. I am not running any form of crankcase evacuation system such as SUM-1020-108 from Summit. Dad used to run one of these and I wonder if this would help?
3. The wiring of the car need to be fully gone through and cleaned up.
4. I am not 100% sold on the set up for the transmission cooler. Is this cooler enough? I am using SUM-331000. I have it mounted in the front right beside my radiator. I have a digital temp gauge I have not hooked up so we will get that hooked up. Not sure what temp I should expect to see.
5. Maybe consider putting a thermostat back in? Now that I have this new aluminum radiator it seemed like the car never got over about 160.
6. Try to determine the compression on the engine and investigate the right fuel to run to get the best horsepower.
7. Replace the fuel lines with steel braid tank to carb.

The engine paint is flaking off, and I am sure there are lots of bolts that got heated up last night good for the first time in a long time, so who knows what the bottom of my trailer is going to look like later today when I go to unload the car. No doubt later this year we will be pulling and going back through the engine. For now we will get all of the rest of the car up to the standard I want it to be so when we do upgrade the motor it is ready to run more HP.

Last edited by cspracer; 06/05/21 09:02 AM.

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2930221
06/05/21 09:14 AM
06/05/21 09:14 AM
Md.
C
carnut68 Offline
master
carnut68  Offline
master
C

Md.
Yes it did feel good. Yes it was the passenger side!

I was surprised at how many Mopars were at the track last night. It was a small turn out in general, as they just started running Fridays this week and there is another track not too far away running Friday night TNT as well. Out of about 40 cars there, I am going to say there were 10 Mopars, 12 mustangs and a mix of other cars. good to see some other Mopar folks there. Most of them were Darts and Dusters. A few late model street cars as well.

So now that it is the morning after, here is my evaluation of the next steps.
1. I still have an issue with the back brakes even though it is minimized by the effectiveness of the new front Wilwoods. We are going to replace the flex line on the rears, and may still run all new line to them. Down the road I can see the next conversion kit to put similar disc on the back. I have learned we have to plan ahead these days if you want parts!
2. We have to find the solution to the valve cover gasket. I am not running any form of crankcase evacuation system such as SUM-1020-108 from Summit. Dad used to run one of these and I wonder if this would help?
3. The wiring of the car need to be fully gone through and cleaned up.
4. I am not 100% sold on the set up for the transmission cooler. Is this cooler enough? I am using SUM-331000. I have it mounted in the front right beside my radiator. I have a digital temp gauge I have not hooked up so we will get that hooked up. Not sure what temp I should expect to see.
5. Maybe consider putting a thermostat back in? Now that I have this new aluminum radiator it seemed like the car never got over about 160.

The engine paint is flaking off, and I am sure there are lots of bolts that got heated up last night good for the first time in a long time, so who knows what the bottom of my trailer is going to look like later today when I go to unload the car. No doubt later this year we will be pulling and going back through the engine. For now we will get all of the rest of the car up to the standard I want it to be so when we do upgrade the motor it is ready to run more HP.

I had the same problem on that side because of the tight fit of MSD dist. I ground a little notch on the valve cover to help clear the dist. Glue/ permatex the gaskets to the vc let it cure, then install on head dry and clean. I have the cast aluminum M/T valve covers. I used a flex hose for a 99 Ram because it is longer to compensate for the body lift. If you still have the factory hose it may have gotten pinched shut from the body lifting because its too short.
Any updates?

Last edited by carnut68; 06/08/21 07:02 AM.

America First!
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2932217
06/11/21 09:52 AM
06/11/21 09:52 AM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
Here is the latest update and a question or two for the group.
1. This week we replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket with a Morosso 93055. This looks like a much better gasket, so I am eager to try it out and see if we have stopped the oil leak.
2. While we had the cover off, we went through and adjusted all of the valves. Most were still very close to right, but a couple of them were either too tight or too loose. They are all set correctly now.
3. We adjusted the oil level. Looked like we were over by about 3/4 qt and that may have contributed to the leak.
4. We fine tuned the accelerator cable. This is something I have always had to tweak to make sure I was getting WOT when the pedal is to the floor.
5. We did a compression test on all of the cylinders to try to determine the comp ratio. The engine was cold, I know it is better if it is done hot. Here are the results:
#1 - 137 psi - 9.32:1
#3 - 135 psi - 9.18:1
#5 - 138 psi - 9.39:1
#7 - 130 psi - 8.84:1
#2 - 128 psi - 8.71:1
#4 - 137 psi - 9.32:1
#6 - 140 psi - 9.52:1
#8 - 140 psi - 9.52:1
Average - 9.23:1
This seems to be the current comp ratio. I assume if I am running 114 octane race gas I am way over what I need and would probably pick up some time by moving down to closer to 100 octane. Any thoughts?
6. We changed plugs, and this is where I would like some opinions. Now that phone cameras are as good as they are, I can post pics of the plugs and get your opinion on if we are running too rich or lean. They look a little rich to me, but I am no expert in this area.

Plugs 1.jpgplugs 2.jpg

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2932255
06/11/21 11:56 AM
06/11/21 11:56 AM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
With those cranking numbers I would be running 93.
See what the new plugs look like after running 93.

Last edited by B1MAXX; 06/11/21 11:59 AM.
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2932274
06/11/21 01:07 PM
06/11/21 01:07 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
What heat range are those plugs?
They look like the mixture is way to rich and two of them, the shiny ones, look like they have oil on them twocents
How did you figure the compression ratio from this compression test? confused
What valve overs are you using those gaskets on?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: Cab_Burge] #2932469
06/12/21 12:34 PM
06/12/21 12:34 PM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
Champion J12YC
Compression = test PSI/14.7
Using the MOPAR Black Valve Covers. I feel confident the Moroso gasket is going to fix my leak.
I agree there is some inconsistency in the way the plugs look. That is why I have trouble reading them. Plugs were not immediately removed after the run, so I don't know if that affects them at all or not.
I am going to try a lower octane fuel, probably cut some 93 octane with enough race fuel to get to 95 or 97 to start with.

Last edited by cspracer; 06/12/21 12:36 PM.

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: Cab_Burge] #2932659
06/12/21 10:59 PM
06/12/21 10:59 PM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
Thanks for the feedback on Jetting the Carb. I have started watching airdensityonline.com and have purchased a weather station for the new trailer. I have always known the temp and humidity as well as altitude had an affect, but the 1000 ft guideline is a great standard to try to use on changing jets.
You mentioned the 30CC vs 50CC pumps. My dominator has the 50CC. Do you think this is contributing to the bog on the line? Should I switch to the 30's?
The only reason I went to this is when we started out, we knew nothing about tuning a carb. The car always bogged on the line until someone came up and told us one day to try larger jets. Once we did, it really took off the first time.
Even now, if the car is cold, (below 200 degrees) or if I do not rev the engine enough, when I punch the accelerator it wants to bog. I have tried different jets & different squirters but never really found the right combo.
It tends to do best when the car is warm, so this week we re-installed the thermostat, to help bring it up to temp quicker.

Question #2 - E-85, I am very interested in trying to switch my car from racing gas to E-85. My assumptions are to do this you need to change the following things:

1. Fuel pump & regulator. I am running the blue Holley now. -( $405 )
2. Fuel line. I am changing this anyway due to moving away from rubber line. I am thinking I need to go to 1/2 inch 8-AN for E-85.
3. Fuel cell - Currently I run only a 2 gallon tank. I only use about 1/2 of it on a typical 1/8 mile run, so I assume the fuel volume needed to run E-85 will not be more than 2x. (I m changing this anyway so no incremental costs)
4. Carb rebuild, (looks like this is about $491 from Summit)

Probably $1000 is a good estimate I am guessing to change over to E-85.
Can I simply pore it in and try it first with what I have and a little tweaking or would it ruin my current equipment. I am not thinking a long term repeated use, but would like to understand the gain I would get before I drop the money on this.

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2932666
06/12/21 11:19 PM
06/12/21 11:19 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I think you would be better off buying a new E85 carb as all alcohol base fuels eat and corrode aluminum
I've been racing on pump 85 for 6 yrs. now up I had A.J. Casini at Bob George racing(206-472-7412) convert a 1150 CFM Holley I had in hand to E85 back then. up scope
E85 motors consume around 30% more fuel per run, my car was had a blown alcohol(methanol) B1 motor in it before I bought it and put in the bracket 400 stroker motor on pump E85. It has a 7.5 gallon fuel cell mounted in the front of the car and no radiator shock It does have two small oil cooler running coolant through them for the cooling system. The motor runs very cool most of the time with this set up up
Let me warn you that once you get the E85 carb tuned in correctly it will vary very little from the first run of the day to the middle of the day and on into after sundown, maybe as little as .0005 devil up scope
Good luck on your deal thumbs

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2932701
06/13/21 06:16 AM
06/13/21 06:16 AM
Md.
C
carnut68 Offline
master
carnut68  Offline
master
C

Md.
Thanks for the feedback on Jetting the Carb. I have started watching airdensityonline.com and have purchased a weather station for the new trailer. I have always known the temp and humidity as well as altitude had an affect, but the 1000 ft guideline is a great standard to try to use on changing jets.
You mentioned the 30CC vs 50CC pumps. My dominator has the 50CC. Do you think this is contributing to the bog on the line? Should I switch to the 30's?
The only reason I went to this is when we started out, we knew nothing about tuning a carb. The car always bogged on the line until someone came up and told us one day to try larger jets. Once we did, it really took off the first time.
Even now, if the car is cold, (below 200 degrees) or if I do not rev the engine enough, when I punch the accelerator it wants to bog. I have tried different jets & different squirters but never really found the right combo.
It tends to do best when the car is warm, so this week we re-installed the thermostat, to help bring it up to temp quicker.

Question #2 - E-85, I am very interested in trying to switch my car from racing gas to E-85. My assumptions are to do this you need to change the following things:

2. Fuel line. I am changing this anyway due to moving away from rubber line. I am thinking I need to go to 1/2 inch 8-AN for E-85.
3. Fuel cell - Currently I run only a 2 gallon tank. I only use about 1/2 of it on a typical 1/8 mile run, so I assume the fuel volume needed to run E-85 will not be more than 2x. (I m changing this anyway so no incremental costs)

Can I simply pore it in and try it first with what I have and a little tweaking or would it ruin my current equipment. I am not thinking a long term repeated use, but would like to understand the gain I would get before I drop the money on this.

The carb will bog if you have too much transfer slot exposed. There needs to be fuel in the T slot to carry over into the next circuit once throttle blades open. I think you stated that you already checked the lever at acc pump arm. When the engine is warm an idling does it get blubbery[cam sounds rumpier] if you roll into the throttle slowly without pump shot coming in? What initial timing do you currently have?

Last edited by carnut68; 06/13/21 06:31 AM.

America First!
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2932741
06/13/21 10:16 AM
06/13/21 10:16 AM
ohio
67mprfan Offline
super stock
67mprfan  Offline
super stock

ohio

Play with what you have try lower octane 1st, do some research on e85 I believe in another post about E85 someone mentioned it runs better with more compression, I could be wrong so maybe someone that running E85 can shed some light

71 demon stock stroke 440/indy ez-1 running 10.10 @ 132.14 mph in the 1/4 and 6.36 @ 107.46 mph in the 1/8 not in the same weekend but It did it then I sold it.
67 Belvedere that worked it's way in the 10's
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: 67mprfan] #2932748
06/13/21 10:51 AM
06/13/21 10:51 AM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by 67mprfan

Play with what you have try lower octane 1st, do some research on e85 I believe in another post about E85 someone mentioned it runs better with more compression, I could be wrong so maybe someone that running E85 can shed some light

Definitely don't need race fuel at that compression. I'd be running 93 . I'm at 11.5 comp and was running 98-99 (mix of race gas and recreational gas(90 octane). I've switched to e85 and really like it. Still sorting some things out on my carb but I ran .08 faster than with mixing fuels.

If you decide to switch to e85 I like Mark at Lightning Carbs in Florida. He really fixed my set up after another so called e85 expert in central USA screwed it up pM meif you want. I'm not going to list names or bash the guy on our forum.

Ok
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: carnut68] #2933031
06/14/21 12:40 AM
06/14/21 12:40 AM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
The timing curve we are running starts out at 15 degrees and advances fairly quickly by 21 to a total of 36. I am running the second quickest springs in the distributor, so it should be ramping up to full advance by 2800 RPM. That is close to the rev level I am holding at on the line before I launch. (I am not running a transbrake and may not be consistent in this area yet, could be anywhere from 2200-2800).
I will have to test the blubbery thing next time I take it out.

Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: cspracer] #2933208
06/14/21 01:45 PM
06/14/21 01:45 PM
Indy
FlyFish Offline
super stock
FlyFish  Offline
super stock

Indy
I converted my carb to e85 with a kit off ebay from Rob Mix. It had metering blocks, gaskets, squirters, and jets for a baseline. I also put in a Holley black pump, 1/2 fuel line, steel mesh fuel filter (paper filters no worky)....but the most important part in my opinion is a wideband so you can tune it. e85 burns so clean it is almost impossible to read a plug. I just picked up a cheap wideband on Summit that was about $150, works great. I think I only spent about $650 total to convert...but that was a few years ago.

67 Barracuda street car, 408, e85, 1.38 60', 6.44 @105.9 in the 1/8 mile, 10.19 @130.5 in the 1/4...so far....
Re: I need to go just a little faster looking to hit 7.0 in 1/8 [Re: FlyFish] #2935861
06/22/21 11:52 PM
06/22/21 11:52 PM
Cumming Georgia
cspracer Offline OP
cspracer  Offline OP

Cumming Georgia
Planning to take the car to Brainerd Dragway on Friday night for test n tune session. Brainerd should be a good track to test on and they have a scale so I can get an updated weight on my car. Since the last time out we fixed the rear brakes, got new Moroso valve cover gaskets, new o-ring on trans dip stick, and added a trans temp gauge. Should be able to get in several runs.
We also picked up our new 24 ft enclosed trailer. Never owned one before and this one took 12 weeks to get but it is really nice. Glad I ordered it when I did as the base price has gone up by $2600 in three months! Trying to figure out what to do for the floor. Any suggestions? Rubber flooring looks really expensive but that is what we would like to do.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6