05/10/21 05:55 PM
05/10/21 05:55 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
Not to hi-jack, but my '02 4 liter Jeep GC fuel pump seems to be getting louder the more I drive lately. Jeep runs fine. it has roughly 178k on it now (pump is original untouched)....should I think about replacing it now before it dies? I also saw on the link for Rock Auto, that the Delphi unit is the "premium" brand...consensus is to get the delphi part?

Last edited by RoadRunnerLuva; 05/10/21 06:10 PM.
Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #2920963
05/10/21 10:07 PM
05/10/21 10:07 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Not to hi-jack, but my '02 4 liter Jeep GC fuel pump seems to be getting louder the more I drive lately. Jeep runs fine. it has roughly 178k on it now (pump is original untouched)....should I think about replacing it now before it dies? I also saw on the link for Rock Auto, that the Delphi unit is the "premium" brand...consensus is to get the delphi part?

If you're POSITIVE that your pump is getting louder, yep...at 178,000 miles aand 20 years of service, (I would) go ahead and replace it. I mean, you can't predict when or where it's going to die, and replacing it in the driveway is always preferable to getting it towed or swapping somewhere across town. twocents

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? [Re: Fat_Mike] #2921014
05/11/21 12:35 AM
05/11/21 12:35 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline OP
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline OP
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

If you're POSITIVE that your pump is getting louder, yep...at 178,000 miles aand 20 years of service, (I would) go ahead and replace it. I mean, you can't predict when or where it's going to die, and replacing it in the driveway is always preferable to getting it towed or swapping somewhere across town. twocents

I agree with Fat_Mike. I rolled the dice with mine and kept driving it, and I (kinda) got lucky it died in my driveway.

As for what pump to buy, what are your plans for the truck? Are you selling it off or do you intend to keep it awhile? Keeping it, go with the better pump.

In addition to what was said here, I went with the delphi because, even with shipping added, it was (much) less expensive than what could be had locally (NOT delphi) and the delphi comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I did a quick search of 'Precision Fuel Pumps' (what O'Rileys sells) and they're basically crap. In reading different posts regarding that brand, I'm now wondering if a couple of my current issues have been caused by the pump starting to go out. We'll see.......

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2921034
05/11/21 06:26 AM
05/11/21 06:26 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Some have had bad experiences with Rock Auto but their prices allow for a good name brand at an affordable price. Wells is a US company that makes electrical parts and many of their parts are fine but their fuel pumps are not one of those items. And many parts stores branded pumps are made by Wells.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2921282
05/11/21 05:27 PM
05/11/21 05:27 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
Originally Posted by Satilite73
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

I agree with Fat_Mike. I rolled the dice with mine and kept driving it, and I (kinda) got lucky it died in my driveway.

As for what pump to buy, what are your plans for the truck? Are you selling it off or do you intend to keep it awhile? Keeping it, go with the better pump.

In addition to what was said here, I went with the delphi because, even with shipping added, it was (much) less expensive than what could be had locally (NOT delphi) and the delphi comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I did a quick search of 'Precision Fuel Pumps' (what O'Rileys sells) and they're basically crap. In reading different posts regarding that brand, I'm now wondering if a couple of my current issues have been caused by the pump starting to go out. We'll see.......

Yup John, and Mike...I intend to drive it as long as possible, since I can hardly afford to buy anything new. I will keep my eyes and ears on the Jeep, if it gets louder in the near future (which I'm sure it will) I'll order a quality replacement, so It can be swapped out...thanks!

Plymouth Makes It!
Page 2 of 2 1 2