Moparts

'93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand?

Posted By: SattyNoCar

'93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/05/21 03:35 AM

Stock electric pump in my Dak died over the weekend. I don't think its ever been changed, and it died in my driveway, so I'm not upset. (truck has almost 190K)

I've seen a few different brands, is there a preferred brand? Or are they all about the same?

My first time changing this kind of pump, any tips or tricks? (I plan to drop the tank since my truck isn't rusty underneath)

Appreciate it. thumbs
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/05/21 03:43 PM

I have had good luck with Delphi USA made pumps in the past when I could not locate an OEM one.

Been a while since I bought one, so no idea if they are still made in USA or not.

I would avoid some chinese made garbage for most any cost for something like a fuel pump.
Posted By: wingman

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/05/21 04:14 PM

I used the Delphi pump from Rockauto when my factory one finally crapped out at 200,000mi. Not a bad run.

I can't speak to it's longevity since my neighbor plowed into the back of the truck while it was parked in front of my house soon after.

The job isn't bad as long as the bolts aren't all rusted solid. There are a couple good videos on Youtube that cover it. I rolled the back wheels up onto ramps to give more room to work.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/05/21 04:50 PM

I tend to stay with Mopar pumps but I was told Delphi pumps were good also. Some Dakota`s had a external fuel filter. Might be worth replacing too.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/05/21 08:39 PM

Another thought for you, when I replaced my dakota pump I took loose the bed bolts. Me and a couple buddies moved it back and to the side to access the tank and pump. Made it an easier job, especially since I had just filled the tank.

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/05/21 10:42 PM

Thanks guys!

Right after we had the hard freeze here back in February, the pump started getting louder. I'm guessing that maybe there was moisture in the tank/pump that froze and screwed things up? I've been keeping my trips short with the truck, 'just in case' since then and it died in my driveway.

It does have an external filter. I replaced it last summer, then again for giggles when the pump started getting louder.

beer
Posted By: rhad

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 01:58 AM

i used carter on my 92 dak,no problem at all,i think it was oem manufactuer
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

Thanks guys!

Right after we had the hard freeze here back in February, the pump started getting louder. I'm guessing that maybe there was moisture in the tank/pump that froze and screwed things up? I've been keeping my trips short with the truck, 'just in case' since then and it died in my driveway.

It does have an external filter. I replaced it last summer, then again for giggles when the pump started getting louder.

beer

Okay, so the pump still cycles and makes noise?

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly

Thanks guys!

beer

Okay, so the pump still cycles and makes noise?

No, its quiet. I have power to the pump with the key 'on'.

Aside from that, I haven't done a deep diagnosis. I just assumed, power but no pump = bad pump, especially since it had gotten louder.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 04:10 AM

Aside from that, I haven't done a deep diagnosis. I just assumed, power but no pump = bad pump, especially since it had gotten louder.

You've checked the relay?

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

You've checked the relay?

Yes. If I had a bad relay, wouldn't there be no power to the pump?

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 02:02 PM

Sorry John, what I mean by "noise" is it sounds normal? Like, when you turn the key to run (but not start) you can hear the usual buzz of it priming fuel to the lines to start.

Or, is it completely dead, no buzz sound at all?
Posted By: CKessel

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 02:09 PM

A pump can still function with a sketchy relay but the pumps life will be shortened from lack of power because of the relay. I had this happen on my 94 Ram 1500. One of the Master Tech's I worked with at the dealer clued me in on this. He replaced the relays on every pump replacement. I've stuck to that ever since.

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Sorry John, what I mean by "noise" is it sounds normal? Like, when you turn the key to run (but not start) you can hear the usual buzz of it priming fuel to the lines to start.

Or, is it completely dead, no buzz sound at all?

Gotcha, cycle the key, no noise at all.

I swapped relays, no difference, power at relay and at tank.

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 03:38 PM

Okay, yeah, it's fuel pump if you can't even get a blip out of it.

You mentioned fuel filters above and there's a way to fix your problem, but, in this case it won't work.

Head to Pick 'n Pull, might get lucky and find a Dakota with the box already off it. wink

I just did a Community Volunteer repair last Fall for a Lady with a bad fuel pump in a '96 Neon: surprisingly, you can get the fuel pump itself from Rock auto and don't have to buy the whole unit. Might be the same for Your Dakota if you decide to go new. up

*Edit* Yep, Rock has a "Fuel pump module repair kit", Thirty seven bucks, that's a deal.

Attached picture 30.JPG

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 03:50 PM

Here in TX, it’s illegal for yards to sell tanks, so they get yanked ahead of time.

beer
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 03:53 PM

I think I ran a Delphi replacement on my '90 Dakota.

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 03:54 PM

Our replies overlapped......the kit looks good, but from here I’d be concerned about old brittle plastic especially if it’s original. shruggy

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 04:21 PM

You bet, I kind of ran into that with that Neon: Someone else had tried to repair it, they cracked the top plastic retaining ring and Fubar'd it up with gasket in a tube. It was leaking gas through the ring which is all the problem really was, but, when you have it all apart anyway..................

Getting the whole pump and assembly was only $40 more, so I just bought it for Her so She would never have to worry about it again.

Make sure you clean your fuel tank out real good: Your truck will go forever if you do it now.

Rock uses that heart symbol on their best selling products, I seen one on there looking at pumps: I'd pick that one, but, that's just Me.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/06/21 06:09 PM

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1993,dakota,5.2l+v8,1087556,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147

I hate it when it doesn't post as a clickable link but V6 and 318 take the same pump.
Posted By: TJP

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/07/21 12:28 AM

PUMP LINKY smile

beer
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/10/21 09:55 PM

Not to hi-jack, but my '02 4 liter Jeep GC fuel pump seems to be getting louder the more I drive lately. Jeep runs fine. it has roughly 178k on it now (pump is original untouched)....should I think about replacing it now before it dies? I also saw on the link for Rock Auto, that the Delphi unit is the "premium" brand...consensus is to get the delphi part?
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/11/21 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Not to hi-jack, but my '02 4 liter Jeep GC fuel pump seems to be getting louder the more I drive lately. Jeep runs fine. it has roughly 178k on it now (pump is original untouched)....should I think about replacing it now before it dies? I also saw on the link for Rock Auto, that the Delphi unit is the "premium" brand...consensus is to get the delphi part?

If you're POSITIVE that your pump is getting louder, yep...at 178,000 miles aand 20 years of service, (I would) go ahead and replace it. I mean, you can't predict when or where it's going to die, and replacing it in the driveway is always preferable to getting it towed or swapping somewhere across town. twocents

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/11/21 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

If you're POSITIVE that your pump is getting louder, yep...at 178,000 miles aand 20 years of service, (I would) go ahead and replace it. I mean, you can't predict when or where it's going to die, and replacing it in the driveway is always preferable to getting it towed or swapping somewhere across town. twocents

I agree with Fat_Mike. I rolled the dice with mine and kept driving it, and I (kinda) got lucky it died in my driveway.

As for what pump to buy, what are your plans for the truck? Are you selling it off or do you intend to keep it awhile? Keeping it, go with the better pump.

In addition to what was said here, I went with the delphi because, even with shipping added, it was (much) less expensive than what could be had locally (NOT delphi) and the delphi comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I did a quick search of 'Precision Fuel Pumps' (what O'Rileys sells) and they're basically crap. In reading different posts regarding that brand, I'm now wondering if a couple of my current issues have been caused by the pump starting to go out. We'll see.......

Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/11/21 10:26 AM

Some have had bad experiences with Rock Auto but their prices allow for a good name brand at an affordable price. Wells is a US company that makes electrical parts and many of their parts are fine but their fuel pumps are not one of those items. And many parts stores branded pumps are made by Wells.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: '93 Dakota fuel pump, which brand? - 05/11/21 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

I agree with Fat_Mike. I rolled the dice with mine and kept driving it, and I (kinda) got lucky it died in my driveway.

As for what pump to buy, what are your plans for the truck? Are you selling it off or do you intend to keep it awhile? Keeping it, go with the better pump.

In addition to what was said here, I went with the delphi because, even with shipping added, it was (much) less expensive than what could be had locally (NOT delphi) and the delphi comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I did a quick search of 'Precision Fuel Pumps' (what O'Rileys sells) and they're basically crap. In reading different posts regarding that brand, I'm now wondering if a couple of my current issues have been caused by the pump starting to go out. We'll see.......

Yup John, and Mike...I intend to drive it as long as possible, since I can hardly afford to buy anything new. I will keep my eyes and ears on the Jeep, if it gets louder in the near future (which I'm sure it will) I'll order a quality replacement, so It can be swapped out...thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums