04/05/21 10:31 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by 19swinger70
I wish I had the discipline to be that organized, but I do not!

Yeah, me too. I've had people look at my shop and ask if anyone survived the explosion. My toolbox is no different.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Does any bodies toolbox look like this? [Re: GomangoCuda] #2906825
04/05/21 11:01 AM
04/05/21 11:01 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I have too many tools to space so neatly without 20 tool boxes.

I break then down to Screwdriver drawer, Pliers, Vise Grips, Metric Wrenches,Etc. then several drawers of specialty tools. Clamps, pullers, trim tools, etc. There are some drawers with organizers but not many.

I have enough tools to fill a whole 1 car garage wall to wall. Some would say I have to many tools I say I always need 1 more. LOL

My method of on the job organization is several steps.

1. I make a mental note of every tool I use and count it back in place before the job is done and released. (I do have a place for each tool even if loose in a specific drawer)
2. When I drop a tool I do not wait to get it later. I go on a hunt and retrieve it immediately. (Most tools are lost when people say I'll get it later and then forget about it.)
3. If the job takes over night I put all my tools I am using in a metal tray so they are ready for the next day. Counted and accounted for when I do it.
4. When I have multiple cars to be done all tools are put up and accounted for before I move to the next.
5. If the job is long, I will retrieve and count all tools every 2 or 3 hours to keep my focus on what tools are being used.
6. Whenever possible I prefer not to lay tools on the cowl or fender. I prefer to use a tool tray and NEVER LAY TOOLS ON A BATTERY. (Obvious Safety concerns)
7. The above rules don't change if I am working in a junkyard or a shop.

Has worked out pretty good for me.

Now I just have to retrieve my tools from the neighborhood kids who borrow them periodically.

Re: Does any bodies toolbox look like this? [Re: GY3] #2906862
04/05/21 12:54 PM
04/05/21 12:54 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Online content
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by GY3
Friends that work in aircraft have boxes that look like that.

At the end of the day they have to account for every tool.

Yep, our boxes had orange pockets on the black so that a missing tool is easy to spot.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Does any bodies toolbox look like this? [Re: Guitar Jones] #2906863
04/05/21 12:57 PM
04/05/21 12:57 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Originally Posted by GY3
Friends that work in aircraft have boxes that look like that.

At the end of the day they have to account for every tool.

Absolutely. In the Air Force, if your end product ends up on the flightline, every tool box is shadowed, every tool has its specific inventory number, every box has an inventory sheet, and every box is inventoried before and after every job. If you're a back shop, at the beginning and end of every shift. Jet engines are like very expensive vacuum cleaners. Sucked up random objects (like misplaced tools) play havoc on them, and they're very expensive to fix. Almost weekly (sometimes more often) an AF flightline gets shut down for a "lost object"...and a "lost object reports" go straight to the maintenance commander (colonel). They're normally lacking in the sense of humor department. I would hope luck similarly strict standards are held at civilian airports.

I am super familiar with mechanical objects. That is why I don't fly unless it's absolutely necessary.
I also will not drive next to a semi truck..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...84-hitting-driver/ar-BB1fgyEk?ocid=ientp
My first Snap On tool I ever owned was a socket I found in the curb in front of my house. I have since found several more sockets lying around in the road by my house. And I live in a neighborhood, not a heavily traveled roadway!
A couple years ago I was driving to work one morning and something caught my eye lying by the shoulder of the road. I realized it was a ratchet wrench. I thought about it the rest of my drive to work and kicked myself for not stopping to try to get it. I even called a coworker who gets to work later than me and takes the same route to tell him about it, but it was too late, he was already pulling into the parking lot.
I still am kicking myself for not turning around and going back to get that tool!

Re: Does any bodies toolbox look like this? [Re: fourgearsavoy] #2907229
04/06/21 11:43 AM
04/06/21 11:43 AM
Buford, GA
I_bleed_MOPAR Offline
master
I_bleed_MOPAR  Offline
master

Buford, GA
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
I keep my tools in an organized drawers without special trays. When you work 100% flat-rate you need to know where your tools are at all times so you don't waste precious clock time trying to find a wrench. I work with a couple of younger techs with tools scattered everywhere. Now my home toolbox is a little less organized but I have specialized boxes at home, one for transmission work, carb and tuning , and engine work including valve spring compressors ,compression testers ,torque wrenches etc...

Gus beer

I need to show this to my wife. wink She always accused me of being OCD since I kept everything fairly neat and put up when I finished using it. I told her that the quicker I could put my hand on a tool, the quicker I finished the job and that put more money in my (her) pocket. grin Worked with a lot of techs over the years that wasted a lot of time pawing around in a rollaround piled high with tools. I would leave mine full if I worked late finishing a job but everything was cleaned and put away first thing the next morning. up

Tim

'71 Charger 383/727
'17 Challenger SXT (Wifeys car wink )
Re: Does any bodies toolbox look like this? [Re: I_bleed_MOPAR] #2907367
04/06/21 04:21 PM
04/06/21 04:21 PM
pennsylvania
poboyengineering Offline
mopar
poboyengineering  Offline
mopar

pennsylvania
I used to be better about it, but I have too many tools for the boxes I have,
and I just inherited all my BIL's tools, so now there is stuff stacked everywhere!
Once I'm back on my feet I'll have to sort through it all. I have a 4 drawer cart just for
measuring tools and taps/drills.

It may be ugly, but it sure is slow.

Girls comb their hair in rear view mirrors and the boys try to look so hard....
Page 2 of 2 1 2