Waddell AZ
A
azblackhemi Offline
super stock
azblackhemi  Offline
super stock
A

Waddell AZ
If he's not looking for a rare in demand muscle car or other highly desirable classic B-J or Mechum auctions do have some good deals. When you hear about Barrett Jackson prices being crazy high they are on the Hemi Cuda's, Boss 429's Bugatti's etc. they are. However on the regular cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's there are good deals to be had. As a regular attendee of Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale I look at the sale prices on cars that went over the block on Tuesday - Friday and find quite a few that went for a lot less money than the restoration cost. A lot of nicer cars selling in the high teens to high 20's. I know now with Covid it might not be an option but it will end eventually.

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: not_a_charger] #2876266
01/18/21 07:55 PM
01/18/21 07:55 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

Kentucky
The inventory at both of these places is way down. Anyway something to look at if he doesn’t know what he wants.

https://www.centralkentuckyclassiccars.com/

https://www.budvillemotors.com/

‘72 Charger, 5.9 Magnum, Tremec 5 spd., Pro-Touring
‘14 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, 1500
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: azblackhemi] #2876315
01/18/21 09:50 PM
01/18/21 09:50 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by azblackhemi
If he's not looking for a rare in demand muscle car or other highly desirable classic B-J or Mechum auctions do have some good deals. When you hear about Barrett Jackson prices being crazy high they are on the Hemi Cuda's, Boss 429's Bugatti's etc. they are. However on the regular cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's there are good deals to be had. As a regular attendee of Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale I look at the sale prices on cars that went over the block on Tuesday - Friday and find quite a few that went for a lot less money than the restoration cost. A lot of nicer cars selling in the high teens to high 20's. I know now with Covid it might not be an option but it will end eventually.

I have seen some real disasters coming from BJ (and I am talking 100k pigs) so proceed with caution and make sure someone very knowledgeable tags along. Even then it's a crap shoot as you can't drive it, get under it etc. Getting them up in the air is normally where the truth surfaces. There have been a few that were deals but they are the exception in my experience. twocents beer

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: azblackhemi] #2876317
01/18/21 09:51 PM
01/18/21 09:51 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
[quote=azblackhemi]If he's not looking for a rare in demand muscle car or other highly desirable classic B-J or Mechum auctions do have some good deals. When you hear about Barrett Jackson prices being crazy high they are on the Hemi Cuda's, Boss 429's Bugatti's etc. they are. However on the regular cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's there are good deals to be had. As a regular attendee of Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale I look at the sale prices on cars that went over the block on Tuesday - Friday and find quite a few that went for a lot less money than the restoration cost. A lot of nicer cars selling in the high teens to high 20's. I know now with Covid it might not be an option but it will end eventually. [/quote

I agree, There is a Mecum's auction up in Harrisburg in August. My brother-in-law wants to get into the hobby. I suggested he go to the Kissimmee Auction on Wednesday/Thursday and watch the cars that are going through and the prices. Anything on Friday/Sat is going to be pricey. Pick 5 cars to watch, look them over beforehand and estimate what they might go for. I'm always amazed at the nice cars and prices on these early auctions.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: klunick] #2876580
01/19/21 01:57 PM
01/19/21 01:57 PM
Eyewa
330Scott Offline
master
330Scott  Offline
master

Eyewa
American Dream Machines here in Des Moines always has a good inventory. I know exactly nothing about them but would be willing to check out a ride or two if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 330Scott; 01/19/21 01:57 PM.
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: klunick] #2876749
01/19/21 05:48 PM
01/19/21 05:48 PM
IN
G
GTX4spd Offline
pro stock
GTX4spd  Offline
pro stock
G

IN
Originally Posted by klunick
[quote=azblackhemi]If he's not looking for a rare in demand muscle car or other highly desirable classic B-J or Mechum auctions do have some good deals. When you hear about Barrett Jackson prices being crazy high they are on the Hemi Cuda's, Boss 429's Bugatti's etc. they are. However on the regular cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's there are good deals to be had. As a regular attendee of Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale I look at the sale prices on cars that went over the block on Tuesday - Friday and find quite a few that went for a lot less money than the restoration cost. A lot of nicer cars selling in the high teens to high 20's. I know now with Covid it might not be an option but it will end eventually. [/quote

I agree, There is a Mecum's auction up in Harrisburg in August. My brother-in-law wants to get into the hobby. I suggested he go to the Kissimmee Auction on Wednesday/Thursday and watch the cars that are going through and the prices. Anything on Friday/Sat is going to be pricey. Pick 5 cars to watch, look them over beforehand and estimate what they might go for. I'm always amazed at the nice cars and prices on these early auctions.

Look them over beforehand VERY carefully! I drove cars through a Mecum auction in Indy several years ago & was shocked at how most of them were mechanically garbage, even though they had fresh, pretty paint & stripes, etc. one that has always stood out in mind was a Ranchero that according to the Marti Report was one-of-six. Outwardly a very sharp looking car, but while idling, parked, it would occasionally make a noise that sounded like a bad ball joint. Never got a handle on what the noise actually was but was amused when the seller walked up while I was waiting to take it to the ring & he mentioned that there were a few things that maybe I should know! I looked at him & said “I think I’m beginning to find out”. Most of the cars I drove their were basically junk with fresh paint. Really shattered my image of those high-dollar auctions.

"Gentlemen, we must all hang together, or surely, we shall all hang seperately."--Benjamin Franklin www.wwnboa.org if you're interested in '62-'74 B-Bodies
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: GTX4spd] #2876908
01/19/21 10:01 PM
01/19/21 10:01 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by GTX4spd

Look them over beforehand VERY carefully! I drove cars through a Mecum auction in Indy several years ago & was shocked at how most of them were mechanically garbage, even though they had fresh, pretty paint & stripes, etc. one that has always stood out in mind was a Ranchero that according to the Marti Report was one-of-six. Outwardly a very sharp looking car, but while idling, parked, it would occasionally make a noise that sounded like a bad ball joint. Never got a handle on what the noise actually was but was amused when the seller walked up while I was waiting to take it to the ring & he mentioned that there were a few things that maybe I should know! I looked at him & said “I think I’m beginning to find out”. Most of the cars I drove their were basically junk with fresh paint. Really shattered my image of those high-dollar auctions.

iagree
And will add a lot of times the reason they are at an auction is THERE IS NO RECOURSE on the sale PERIOD!!! One might get lucky but the odds are not in their favor based on my 20 + years of having to tell people they shouldn't have bought what they did. it's not a pleasant experience for either of us twocents beer

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: TJP] #2877701
01/21/21 08:17 AM
01/21/21 08:17 AM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Originally Posted by TJP

iagree
And will add a lot of times the reason they are at an auction is THERE IS NO RECOURSE on the sale PERIOD!!! One might get lucky but the odds are not in their favor based on my 20 + years of having to tell people they shouldn't have bought what they did. it's not a pleasant experience for either of us twocents beer

I figured there might be some issues but this is very good to know. Thanks

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: not_a_charger] #2877833
01/21/21 01:13 PM
01/21/21 01:13 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
We have a couple of small classic car dealers in the Portland area and both of them are pretty good. I've talked to both of them over the years and while not all the sales guys know everything, there is usually one guy in the place that knows the cars. Both places have been in business for decades. Here is a link to one: http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/index.php

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: GTX4spd] #2877835
01/21/21 01:16 PM
01/21/21 01:16 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon

Yeah I've seen a few cars that were bought at auction and they were basically used cars with a shiny paint job. Nothing more. Once you get the car on a lift and start looking at it they were just worn out. Not junk, and not really a problem to fix, but the bottom side was 50 years old while the paint was brand new. Basically middle age ladies dressed up like school girls. Buyer beware.

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: AndyF] #2878116
01/21/21 10:20 PM
01/21/21 10:20 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
You could give these folks a call. I've known Tim for a while...he's a good guy. Loves cars and the hobby. He can sniff out cars all over. I don't think he keeps a big inventory but a conversation with him might help point your friend in a direction. Just a thought...good luck in the search!

https://bouldermotorcar.com/

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: Dcuda69] #2878207
01/22/21 07:26 AM
01/22/21 07:26 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and offers to help.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: klunick] #2878338
01/22/21 01:13 PM
01/22/21 01:13 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP

iagree

I figured there might be some issues but this is very good to know. Thanks

The Only thing the auction house guarantees is the title and Vin are legit PERIOD!!!
I only know of two instances in which there were exceptions.
#1 a severely misrepresented 64 impala from BJ Scottsdale. The buyer happened to be closely related to the KIEWIT family. The seller received a call from the Tennessee state Attorney generals office encouraging him to get the car back into his possession ASAP. The buyer paid All fees, transportation expenses and my invoice, (about 25 K more than the car sold for) I LMAO.
#2 was a 72 ? Olds convertible. Heavily advertised as a 455 but was actually a 350. The buyer was a retired attorney and settled for 7500.00 reimbursement. That was a Mecum car and they did put pressure on the seller while BJ stayed as far away from the 1st situation as they could.
beer

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: TJP] #2878350
01/22/21 01:24 PM
01/22/21 01:24 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I wanted to put up a separate post regarding private party sales. Be very diligent on verifying the title and VIN have not been tampered with in any way. Some states are very "loose" on accepting this while others like Nebraska are very stringent.
Again, I know of several instances where people bought vehicles with tampered or obscure VIN's and Nebraska refused to title them.
This creates a real problem for the buyers (and sellers). Even if you live in a "loose state" now and in 5 years sell it to someone in Nebraska it can bite you. So make sure the vin plate isn't screwed on, pop riveted with incorrect rivets, engraved or otherwise obscured. up

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: TJP] #2879150
01/23/21 08:29 PM
01/23/21 08:29 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
I like how people dog dealers for being crooks,but private party’s can be even worse.
You have zero recourse with a private party. Drive the car 50 feet after buying it, and it breaks in half, guess what, you own both halves

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: B3422W5] #2879256
01/24/21 10:28 AM
01/24/21 10:28 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Trick question.

And the only real protection you have is that a dealer will have to convey a clear title to you or face losing his license. Other than that, they can sell you the same hidden damage junk any private guy can. Because where else do they source these cars? Same private people you can.

I want my fair share
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2879352
01/24/21 01:23 PM
01/24/21 01:23 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Trick question.

And the only real protection you have is that a dealer will have to convey a clear title to you or face losing his license. Other than that, they can sell you the same hidden damage junk any private guy can. Because where else do they source these cars? Same private people you can.

Best case the dealer adds value to the transaction by sourcing good cars which he then resells for a fair price. Worst case the dealer is a crook who rips off the previous owner and scams the new owner. Examples of both cases exist which is why it is always buyer beware and do your research.

Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: AndyF] #2879670
01/24/21 10:51 PM
01/24/21 10:51 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Trick question.

Best case the dealer adds value to the transaction by sourcing good cars which he then resells for a fair price. Worst case the dealer is a crook who rips off the previous owner and scams the new owner. Examples of both cases exist which is why it is always buyer beware and do your research.

Resto shop owner on uncle Tony’s last year explained all the problems he fixes on cars people buy from flippers, cough cough, dealers. He says people ask him about cars he’s selling and he tells them he doesn’t because there isn’t any money in it. At least not doing it straight up. So it’s all customer work at his place.

The math works out that you are buying at market and selling at market, unless you do shoddy “work” on the car and try to make it appear a grade higher than it is. Yeah yeah, somebody will claim that they are the guy who does it the right way, but an exception doesn’t make it the rule.

I want my fair share
Re: Reputable classic car dealers? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2879826
01/25/21 12:29 PM
01/25/21 12:29 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
back in my junkyard ownership days, a buddy and i played the auction game quite a bit. that was a FUN game to play, and i learned a TON about the used car "game".
i bought the "pigs" and he "perfumed" them with parts from the yard.
he had a dinky lot and advertised his stuff as : "affordable junk !" laugh2
he was honest as to where the "junkers" came from, what he had done to get them "poofed up", and where the parts came from. he worked his azz off, labor wise, and these things honestly looked amazing ! he made roughly 2-300.00 per unit, but the amount of work he put into each made flipping burgers more profitable !

anyone watch the movie "used cars" ? that explains a LOT about some dealers ! biggrin

Page 2 of 2 1 2