12/21/20 02:34 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
With a 727 it did what it did and as the driver you compensated as required. Now, the drivers apparently are too stupid to do that. One more rant, I firmly believe that with cars with collision avoidance, self steering capabilities, adaptive technology, etc. that a generation of incompetent drivers is being raised that have no driving skills and can't think for themselves.

runaway

iagree ^^^^^^^^^^^ especially the last sentence !
one of the commercials for a new caddy shows a woman driving, then starts screwing around with her hair while the steering wheel lights up and corrects going down the road.
in my opinion, that is just down right irresponsible of the auto makers to even offer something like that ! mad same goes for these "infotainment centers".
i guess i'm just too old to "appreciate" these modern marvels..............
beer

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: cudaman1969] #2862961
12/21/20 02:36 PM
12/21/20 02:36 PM
Laveen, Arizona
GTSDart340 Offline
pro stock
GTSDart340  Offline
pro stock

Laveen, Arizona
Sorry it was a link. here

1949 International KB-2 "Mater" - 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat" - 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T - Hemi

2016 Dodge Durango Limited - 3.6
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: moparx] #2862964
12/21/20 02:38 PM
12/21/20 02:38 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
With a 727 it did what it did and as the driver you compensated as required. Now, the drivers apparently are too stupid to do that. One more rant, I firmly believe that with cars with collision avoidance, self steering capabilities, adaptive technology, etc. that a generation of incompetent drivers is being raised that have no driving skills and can't think for themselves.

runaway

iagree ^^^^^^^^^^^ especially the last sentence !
one of the commercials for a new caddy shows a woman driving, then starts screwing around with her hair while the steering wheel lights up and corrects going down the road.
in my opinion, that is just down right irresponsible of the auto makers to even offer something like that ! mad same goes for these "infotainment centers".
i guess i'm just too old to "appreciate" these modern marvels..............
beer

GMs "super cruise". Just another step towards autonomous vehicles. The dumbing down continues

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: GTSDart340] #2862989
12/21/20 03:29 PM
12/21/20 03:29 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Online Rolleyes
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by GTSDart340
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Pedal Commander is a very cool item, it really changes the character of the vehicle you install it on. Normally, the factory settings controls the throttle opening rate no matter how quickly the pedal is pushed. When the PCs are dialed up, the responsiveness of the vehicle is amazing. YOU actually have control over how much and how quick the throttle is opened. And depending on the particular unit chosen, most have many settings available, including slowing the response of the throttle. In certain hands and in certain weather, that can be a real benefit, too.

A while back, I installed one for a friend who has a '14 5.7 Charger. When turned up, the car felt like we had went from 2.76 gears to 3.91s. Or from a 318 to a 360. It was a tire fryer deluxe. I can't say that the car was any faster, but it really felt much, much faster. Like a different car entirely. And while I have installed several, I have never had one to the drag strip to compare actual performance difference. As peppy as the PCs make the car feel, they may just have some additional performance benefits, too.

The only down side in my opinion, is the cost. If they were more modestly priced, I would have one on every vehicle I own. They are a lot of fun.

drive

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFI4-L--rAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4eCB0CIJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vpgY5Ly1ZQ

The PC does not make the car any faster. All it does is increase the throttle voltage, but it can't make the throttle open any further than 100%. It only causes the voltage to get there faster. Your foot does the same thing, you just have to push the pedal down harder/further. As I stated above, it's a waste of money.

You must have never driven vehicles with one of these units on them. Or watched some of the Youtube videos. The difference can be quite dramatic. While you have a point that they don't bring more throttle to the party, they do bring the throttle on as fast as YOU want rather than as fast as the manufacturer wants. And that is a big difference. And they may help with E.T. at the track because you can bring more throttle in faster at the hit. That should help the 60' and thereby the E.T. If the traction is there to hold the stronger hit. MPH will probably be the same, but seat of the pants and E.T. should improve.

One other aspect that I do like is that you can not only speed the response time up, but you can also slow it down. When towing or in slick conditions, that can be real handy.

But you are totally wrong when you say that it is the same if you push the pedal down harder/faster without the throttle units. Because without these units, you are only suggesting to the computer what to do, the computer is the one deciding how much/how fast. And you are again wrong to say that they are a waste of money.......for some people. Not everybody needs one. But they do deliver a real shot to the driving experience. That's for sure.

There are more choices out there now than just the Pedal Commander. And prices are coming down, too. This unit is only a couple of hundred bucks: https://www.americantrucks.com/throttle-response-controller-1218-ram-1500-ram.html

Last edited by DaveRS23; 12/21/20 03:36 PM.

Master, again and still
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: DaveRS23] #2863025
12/21/20 04:54 PM
12/21/20 04:54 PM
Laveen, Arizona
GTSDart340 Offline
pro stock
GTSDart340  Offline
pro stock

Laveen, Arizona
Read the link posted above... The computer will always be the final decision in any event. All the pc does is increase the voltage, and not really by that much... And it still goes through the computer! The PC plugs in at the pedal. Can't bypass the computer. But if you like spending money on something you don't need to, have at it up

Last edited by GTSDart340; 12/21/20 04:56 PM.

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: GTSDart340] #2863026
12/21/20 04:58 PM
12/21/20 04:58 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

There is a different unit on eBay for $99, haven't looked into reviews on it yet...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: DaveRS23] #2863039
12/21/20 05:39 PM
12/21/20 05:39 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Pedal Commander is a very cool item, it really changes the character of the vehicle you install it on. Normally, the factory settings controls the throttle opening rate no matter how quickly the pedal is pushed. When the PCs are dialed up, the responsiveness of the vehicle is amazing. YOU actually have control over how much and how quick the throttle is opened. And depending on the particular unit chosen, most have many settings available, including slowing the response of the throttle. In certain hands and in certain weather, that can be a real benefit, too.

A while back, I installed one for a friend who has a '14 5.7 Charger. When turned up, the car felt like we had went from 2.76 gears to 3.91s. Or from a 318 to a 360. It was a tire fryer deluxe. I can't say that the car was any faster, but it really felt much, much faster. Like a different car entirely. And while I have installed several, I have never had one to the drag strip to compare actual performance difference. As peppy as the PCs make the car feel, they may just have some additional performance benefits, too.

The only down side in my opinion, is the cost. If they were more modestly priced, I would have one on every vehicle I own. They are a lot of fun.

drive

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFI4-L--rAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4eCB0CIJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vpgY5Ly1ZQ

The PC does not make the car any faster. All it does is increase the throttle voltage, but it can't make the throttle open any further than 100%. It only causes the voltage to get there faster. Your foot does the same thing, you just have to push the pedal down harder/further. As I stated above, it's a waste of money.

You must have never driven vehicles with one of these units on them. Or watched some of the Youtube videos. The difference can be quite dramatic. While you have a point that they don't bring more throttle to the party, they do bring the throttle on as fast as YOU want rather than as fast as the manufacturer wants. And that is a big difference. And they may help with E.T. at the track because you can bring more throttle in faster at the hit. That should help the 60' and thereby the E.T. If the traction is there to hold the stronger hit. MPH will probably be the same, but seat of the pants and E.T. should improve.

One other aspect that I do like is that you can not only speed the response time up, but you can also slow it down. When towing or in slick conditions, that can be real handy.

But you are totally wrong when you say that it is the same if you push the pedal down harder/faster without the throttle units. Because without these units, you are only suggesting to the computer what to do, the computer is the one deciding how much/how fast. And you are again wrong to say that they are a waste of money.......for some people. Not everybody needs one. But they do deliver a real shot to the driving experience. That's for sure.

There are more choices out there now than just the Pedal Commander. And prices are coming down, too. This unit is only a couple of hundred bucks: https://www.americantrucks.com/throttle-response-controller-1218-ram-1500-ram.html

These are for trucks, any for 392 cars?

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: cudaman1969] #2863093
12/21/20 08:13 PM
12/21/20 08:13 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
I am not sure. Different vehicles have different rates dialed in. So some would benefit more that others. A search of Youtube or some web boards will likely get some user reviews.

Master, again and still
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: GTSDart340] #2863108
12/21/20 08:52 PM
12/21/20 08:52 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Read the link posted above... The computer will always be the final decision in any event. All the pc does is increase the voltage, and not really by that much... And it still goes through the computer! The PC plugs in at the pedal. Can't bypass the computer. But if you like spending money on something you don't need to, have at it up

You are welcome to your opinion. But don't state it as fact for everyone else.

These are fun add-ons. They make a really noticeable difference in throttle response. You can actually hear it as well as see it in the videos that users have posted. If you can get past all the hoots and hollers of joy that the driver's are experiencing.

I think that this will be a fair comparison: We have re-curved distributors for 50+ years. By 2,500 or 3,000 RPM, their advantage is done. After that there is no help in dyno numbers or in MPH at the track. But there is no debate that the throttle response is vastly improved. These throttle controllers have the same affect with a different approach.

Just take a minute and watch a few of the videos that people have made. Do you think that they all are wrong? Or that they are lying? These throttle controllers are fun. They make a real noticeable difference. To deny that is to deny reality. They are not for everyone. But they are for real.

drive grin

Master, again and still
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: DaveRS23] #2863110
12/21/20 08:59 PM
12/21/20 08:59 PM
Laveen, Arizona
GTSDart340 Offline
pro stock
GTSDart340  Offline
pro stock

Laveen, Arizona

These are fun add-ons. They make a really noticeable difference in throttle response. You can actually hear it as well as see it in the videos that users have posted. If you can get past all the hoots and hollers of joy that the driver's are experiencing.

I think that this will be a fair comparison: We have re-curved distributors for 50+ years. By 2,500 or 3,000 RPM, their advantage is done. After that there is no help in dyno numbers or in MPH at the track. But there is no debate that the throttle response is vastly improved. These throttle controllers have the same affect with a different approach.

Just take a minute and watch a few of the videos that people have made. Do you think that they all are wrong? Or that they are lying? These throttle controllers are fun. They make a real noticeable difference. To deny that is to deny reality. They are not for everyone. But they are for real.

drive grin

I'm just trying to let people know what's really going on. If you feel it's worth the money, more power to you. But yes, I feel it's a waste of money. It's very different than curving the distributor. Curving the distributor actually makes the engine run differently, not trick you into thinking something is happening that isn't. The PC literally only controls how much voltage the computer thinks the pedal is sending it. Which is something you can do with your foot. No need to spend any money. Perception is a powerful thing.

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: IMGTX] #2863115
12/21/20 09:11 PM
12/21/20 09:11 PM
WV
D
Danny Offline
enthusiast
Danny  Offline
enthusiast
D

WV
I put one in my 16 scat pack challenger with manual transmission, I hated the lag the throttle had when it was new and still had after a couple thousand miles, bought the pedal commander and the difference was amazing, like i installed a throttle cable! First hand experience.

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: GTSDart340] #2863127
12/21/20 09:38 PM
12/21/20 09:38 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

drive grin

I'm just trying to let people know what's really going on. If you feel it's worth the money, more power to you. But yes, I feel it's a waste of money. It's very different than curving the distributor. Curving the distributor actually makes the engine run differently, not trick you into thinking something is happening that isn't. The PC literally only controls how much voltage the computer thinks the pedal is sending it. Which is something you can do with your foot. No need to spend any money. Perception is a powerful thing.

I have 237,000 miles on my 5.7 truck and have used my foot in thousands of different ways to try to get it to accelerate better and nothing I can do changes a darn thing. I am still on the fence, but may eventually give it try...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: GTSDart340] #2863167
12/21/20 11:06 PM
12/21/20 11:06 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.

drive grin

laugh2 You have obviously not used one before. But everyone else, here and in the posted videos who have, are wrong.

And we re-curve the distributor to bring the advance in quicker. And the throttle adapters bring the throttle open quicker. The engine responds to both. Noticeably.

Stop by sometime and I'll buy you a cold one and let you drive a truck with it turned on and turned off. There is no way that the difference is only perception. beer

Master, again and still
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: DaveRS23] #2863179
12/22/20 12:01 AM
12/22/20 12:01 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

drive grin

laugh2 You have obviously not used one before. But everyone else, here and in the posted videos who have, are wrong.

And we re-curve the distributor to bring the advance in quicker. And the throttle adapters bring the throttle open quicker. The engine responds to both. Noticeably.

Stop by sometime and I'll buy you a cold one and let you drive a truck with it turned on and turned off. There is no way that the difference is only perception. beer

You know what, the next time I am in your area I will take you up on that! I would love to see the real world difference! And I agree completely with you, if you have never tried it how can you possibly know?!?

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: Rhinodart] #2863199
12/22/20 01:58 AM
12/22/20 01:58 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Online content
Still wishing...
Twostick  Online Content
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

drive grin

I have 237,000 miles on my 5.7 truck and have used my foot in thousands of different ways to try to get it to accelerate better and nothing I can do changes a darn thing. I am still on the fence, but may eventually give it try...

Try pulling the ECM fuse for however long it takes the memory to die (5 minutes?) and see how it behaves. Better than disconnecting the battery because nothing else like the radio or seat settings gets affected and the price is right. up

Kevin

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: Rhinodart] #2863241
12/22/20 09:25 AM
12/22/20 09:25 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Online rolleyes
Special needs idiot
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
"You know what, the next time I am in your area I will take you up on that! I would love to see the real world difference! And I agree completely with you, if you have never tried it how can you possibly know?!?"

Any time Rhino, any time. We are like 3 minutes off I-57 exit 71. coffee

Master, again and still
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: DaveRS23] #2863265
12/22/20 10:34 AM
12/22/20 10:34 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Try pulling the ECM fuse for however long it takes the memory to die (5 minutes?) and see how it behaves. Better than disconnecting the battery because nothing else like the radio or seat settings gets affected and the price is right. up

Kevin

[/quote]

My factory battery died at around 190K and it was disconnected for at least a couple of hours, no difference after a new battery was put it... wave

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: Danny] #2863325
12/22/20 12:47 PM
12/22/20 12:47 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by Danny
I put one in my 16 scat pack challenger with manual transmission, I hated the lag the throttle had when it was new and still had after a couple thousand miles, bought the pedal commander and the difference was amazing, like i installed a throttle cable! First hand experience.

Which one did you buy?

Re: Anyone use a pedal commander? [Re: cudaman1969] #2863522
12/22/20 07:19 PM
12/22/20 07:19 PM
WV
D
Danny Offline
enthusiast
Danny  Offline
enthusiast
D

WV