cdwmotorsports Offline OP
pro stock
cdwmotorsports  Offline OP
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Just how big an alternator do you need to run an aftermarket EFI? 90 amps seems serious overkill.

You don't need a big alternator to run EFI but you do need a good alternator. EFI is susceptible to electrical noise so the alternator needs to be a late model design, preferably an OEM alternator. I use factory Denso alternators on my EFI cars. I use the 60 amp Denso unit on both of my cars.

While you're statement may be correct, it's not just about running the EFI. The big alternator comes into play when you have more than EFI that is electric. My Powermaster doesn't affect my Holley EFI, but it damn sure isn't putting out enough amps to keep up with the demand of the electronics and not rob the battery to help.

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Re: Holley Sniper EFI, my experience [Re: cdwmotorsports] #2849131
11/20/20 03:19 PM
11/20/20 03:19 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
You need an alternator with a fast curve in it. Alternators that we’re designed for modern cars have greater output at lower rpm than old designs. Get a denso that fits a modern era car/ truck. I also recommend using a voltage regulator instead of one wire setups.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Holley Sniper EFI, my experience [Re: TRENDZ] #2849148
11/20/20 04:18 PM
11/20/20 04:18 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by TRENDZ
You need an alternator with a fast curve in it. Alternators that we’re designed for modern cars have greater output at lower rpm than old designs. Get a denso that fits a modern era car/ truck. I also recommend using a voltage regulator instead of one wire setups.

I will add I run my CS130 with a sense wire, and a charge light so its essentially a 3 wire deal. I run the sense wire to my power distribution point where 95% of my stuff gets it power.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Holley Sniper EFI, my experience [Re: 6PakBee] #2849150
11/20/20 04:28 PM
11/20/20 04:28 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Just how big an alternator do you need to run an aftermarket EFI? 90 amps seems serious overkill.

With EFI, you have a min voltage at which it shuts off. If you go below that while at idle, the car will quit.

You have to add up all the items in your car and look at the amperage. This is what the battery will see at an Idle, you need that amount or darn close to it. If not, your battery goes dead pretty quick. I started with the Mopar OEM alternators, and those were horrible. Been running chevy 100 amp 1-wire alternators for ever. Recently though, I had to upgrade my fans and then my electric water pump. The new fans really put a load on things. I ended up trying a number of alternators. Ended up with a 140 CVF unit...Man, my idle voltage is dead steady with everything on now. For the money, nothing I have tried beats it. And had some pretty pricy ones, and found out that they stretched their specs, cause when I called them on it, they told me that most of the numbers were for above 3500rpm.....

https://www.cvfracing.com/gm-1-wire-alternator-140-amp-chrome-plated/

Last edited by Dragula; 11/20/20 04:29 PM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Holley Sniper EFI, my experience [Re: Dragula] #2849286
11/20/20 10:16 PM
11/20/20 10:16 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Running a Sniper myself with a good 'ol Toyota Denso 60A alternator as well, zero problems, charges at 13.9V per the handheld and separate can bus gauge. The Holley ignition stuff and Sniper ECU do not draw much current, basically you need 12V from a switched source to turn them on. The ignition box trigger wire is tiny so it wouldn't be able to carry much anyway.

I have the whole deal - in-tank pump, Hyperspark distributor, Hyperspark ignition box, "Sniper" TFI type coil and even the Holley gauges. I did re-wire the entire car though and it has a modern blade type fuse box. The fuel pump and headlights are on relays. Parts store mini starter, new ignition switch. I doubt the Sniper stuff would work too well with 52 year old factory original wiring.

I will say that there is not much else in my car that requires a lot of current - no electric fan, no A/C, no stereo or what have you but either way, it starts first try every time and has not had any observable electrical issues thus far.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Holley Sniper EFI, my experience [Re: RMCHRGR] #2849415
11/21/20 09:13 AM
11/21/20 09:13 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Originally Posted by RMCHRGR
Running a Sniper myself with a good 'ol Toyota Denso 60A alternator as well, zero problems, charges at 13.9V per the handheld and separate can bus gauge. The Holley ignition stuff and Sniper ECU do not draw much current, basically you need 12V from a switched source to turn them on. The ignition box trigger wire is tiny so it wouldn't be able to carry much anyway.

I have the whole deal - in-tank pump, Hyperspark distributor, Hyperspark ignition box, "Sniper" TFI type coil and even the Holley gauges. I did re-wire the entire car though and it has a modern blade type fuse box. The fuel pump and headlights are on relays. Parts store mini starter, new ignition switch. I doubt the Sniper stuff would work too well with 52 year old factory original wiring.

I will say that there is not much else in my car that requires a lot of current - no electric fan, no A/C, no stereo or what have you but either way, it starts first try every time and has not had any observable electrical issues thus far.

He brings up a good point. The ONLY stuff on my car that uses factory wiring is the lights and wipers, everything else is fresh wiring.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Holley Sniper EFI, my experience [Re: Bad340fish] #2849591
11/21/20 02:45 PM
11/21/20 02:45 PM
Martinsville, IN
C
cdwmotorsports Offline OP
pro stock
cdwmotorsports  Offline OP
pro stock
C

Martinsville, IN
Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Originally Posted by RMCHRGR

He brings up a good point. The ONLY stuff on my car that uses factory wiring is the lights and wipers, everything else is fresh wiring.

Mine too.

eBay-cdwmotorsports
Page 2 of 2 1 2