B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Fellas -

I purchased this car already built, so I'm lacking on some details. Motor is a 426 hemi, using Mopar Perf. block, crank, rods, and maybe pistons. Compression ratio unknown, but it runs fine on pump gas. Has a solid roller cam - nice lope - with undetermined specs. Heads are Mopar Perf. aluminum, CNC ported. Intake is aluminum, with 2 x 4bbl Edelbrock carbs. Stock appearing ignition with electronic conversion. Exhaust manifolds.

Got in touch with the guy who dynoed the motor - he said it put out 451 hp at 6000 rpm. Is it me, or is this not so good for a pump gas hemi with a solid roller, CNC ported heads, 2 x 4bbls, etc?

I realize that not knowing the cam and compression means that I'm operating in a vacuum, but any thoughts? Any ideas on good pump gas solid roller cams? One guy who assisted with building the car thinks it was over-cammed.

Car and engine are stock appearing. I wouldn't mind swapping to headers. Has a 727 (column shift w/full manual valve body), 10" converter, Dana 60 (feels like 3.54 but builder thought it was a 4.10). Running 275/60/15 BFGs.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott

Last edited by bulletpruf; 04/11/09 01:52 PM.

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: bulletpruf] #282253
04/09/09 09:36 AM
04/09/09 09:36 AM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Hemi's are less prone to detonation vs. a wedge so you need to get the particulars of the cam amd what pistons are in it also with who cnc the heads and what they flow .

solid roller will be less than street friendly .

was that HP figure motor on a dyno or at the rear wheels ?

what intake is on it ?

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: JohnRR] #282254
04/09/09 09:55 AM
04/09/09 09:55 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Hemi's are less prone to detonation vs. a wedge so you need to get the particulars of the cam amd what pistons are in it also with who cnc the heads and what they flow .

solid roller will be less than street friendly .

was that HP figure motor on a dyno or at the rear wheels ?

what intake is on it ?

Have been trying to track down information on cam and compression, with no luck. Prior owner says he doesn't have the info. Builders do not have the info. Only way I'm going to find out is to disassemble the top end of the motor, and not real excited about doing that now.

Heads were purchased already CNC ported by Mopar, I believe. Have not been able to find flow numbers.

Intake is a factory appearing (not a crossram or high rise) 2 x 4 aluminum intake. Forgot to check what brand.

Almost positive that the hp was on an engine dyno, but need to make sure.

Also, any recommendations on what should I set intial timing at and how much advance at what rpm?

Thanks,

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: bulletpruf] #282255
04/09/09 10:02 AM
04/09/09 10:02 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

I'm not the one to be giving a recommendation , and if I were I couldn't even guess with the info you have given so far, sorry.

But what I can say is there is something seriously mismatched with that build and the fact that the guy who had it built and the shop that built it can't/won't give you any info would have me very worried .

I'd be pulling that engine out and taking it to someone that can figure out what you have and make it run right .

My 426 MP crate motor is making more HP as claimed by mopar than what sounds like a high dollar build you have .

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: JohnRR] #282256
04/09/09 10:34 AM
04/09/09 10:34 AM
North Carolina, USA
S
Silverbullet2 Offline
mopar
Silverbullet2  Offline
mopar
S

North Carolina, USA
I'd give John Arruzza down in Trinity NC a call. (336-475-0426) Hemis are all he does and he's very knowlegable and capable. There's definitely another 100 hp there somewhere.

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: Silverbullet2] #282257
04/09/09 11:12 AM
04/09/09 11:12 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Maybe those carbs aren't dialed in right?

What is the timing?

Lash settings?

That isn't much of a shop if they don't recall what they put in a Hemi, I'm sure they don't build many. If they did build enough to justify not recalling, they would be one of the big shos and you wouldn't have this problem.

I want my fair share
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: bulletpruf] #282258
04/09/09 11:21 AM
04/09/09 11:21 AM
Detroit, MI
CokeBottleKid Offline
master
CokeBottleKid  Offline
master

Detroit, MI
Quote:

with 2 x 4bbl Edelbrock carbs.

crap.

Quote:

I wouldn't mind swapping to headers

Umm 450 is not bad with manifolds... not good but you'd probably pick up a significant amount with headers. Why don't you do the simple stuff, do a compression test, check timing etc. Make sure it's properly assembled.

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: CokeBottleKid] #282259
04/09/09 11:34 AM
04/09/09 11:34 AM
IL
71383beep Offline
top fuel
71383beep  Offline
top fuel

IL
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pull a valve cover and pull out the rockers, can't you spec out the cam with a solid lifter and a pushrod? It's a bit time consuming, but obviously easier than pulling the motor apart.

Don't HEMI's love timing too? like way more than the 34-36 for wedges and sb's?

I gotta admit the most I know about hemis is they look awesome and i dream of having one someday...so i am just curious.

'73 GK6 Challenger Rallye - 340 4-Speed
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: CokeBottleKid] #282260
04/09/09 11:38 AM
04/09/09 11:38 AM
MOPAR HEADQUARTERS IN ALDEN NY
H
hemigod426 Offline
top fuel
hemigod426  Offline
top fuel
H

Quote:

Quote:

crap.

Quote:

Umm 450 is not bad with manifolds... not good but you'd probably pick up a significant amount with headers. Why don't you do the simple stuff, do a compression test, check timing etc. Make sure it's properly assembled.

450 is not good, seeing that oe motors with micro cams and tired spin out 510 hp on average @ crank @ 6,500

MOPAR OR NO CAR
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: JohnRR] #282261
04/09/09 11:47 AM
04/09/09 11:47 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

I'm not the one to be giving a recommendation , and if I were I couldn't even guess with the info you have given so far, sorry.

But what I can say is there is something seriously mismatched with that build and the fact that the guy who had it built and the shop that built it can't/won't give you any info would have me very worried .

I'd be pulling that engine out and taking it to someone that can figure out what you have and make it run right .

My 426 MP crate motor is making more HP as claimed by mopar than what sounds like a high dollar build you have .

If I end up pulling it, I'm more than capable of figuring out what I have. I purchased this car already built, but I usually build my own cars. I have no experience with hemis, however.

Scott

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: bulletpruf] #282262
04/09/09 11:49 AM
04/09/09 11:49 AM
H
hemigod426 Offline
top fuel
hemigod426  Offline
top fuel
H

if you have a solid roller and like 9to 1 mopar crate pistons, thats half the problem. i would pull top end off heads up in car see what you have. zero the motor,spec pistons, then pull out roller cam, grind flat solid cam for it and respring heads to cam. put it back together right then tune. i bet ill pull another 100 hp out of that motor with cast header/manifolds. i would not run that motor any more with out knowing if even the lash is set right you could tear it up, break lifter/suck a valve. how old are lifters and springs they dont last long in solid roller cam motors ie time bomb///////

MOPAR OR NO CAR
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: SomeCarGuy] #282263
04/09/09 11:50 AM
04/09/09 11:50 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Maybe those carbs aren't dialed in right?

What is the timing?

Lash settings?

That isn't much of a shop if they don't recall what they put in a Hemi, I'm sure they don't build many. If they did build enough to justify not recalling, they would be one of the big shos and you wouldn't have this problem.

I'll check the timing, carbs, and adjust the valves. Figure that they would have played with the timing, lash, and jetting on the dyno, but maybe not.

Could use some advice on where to start with timing.

Scott

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: CokeBottleKid] #282264
04/09/09 11:53 AM
04/09/09 11:53 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Quote:

crap.

Quote:

I like the stock look under the hood, but I think headers are a must add for this car. Will check the compression as well.

Scott

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: hemigod426] #282265
04/09/09 12:03 PM
04/09/09 12:03 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

if you have a solid roller and like 9to 1 mopar crate pistons, thats half the problem. i would pull top end off heads up in car see what you have. zero the motor,spec pistons, then pull out roller cam, grind flat solid cam for it and respring heads to cam. put it back together right then tune. i bet ill pull another 100 hp out of that motor with cast header/manifolds. i would not run that motor any more with out knowing if even the lash is set right you could tear it up, break lifter/suck a valve. how old are lifters and springs they dont last long in solid roller cam motors ie time bomb///////

Motor has about 100 miles on it - everything was purchased new. Car was built and not driven.

As for the cam and compression, that's my guess - it's got a hairy solid roller cam and low compression. If this is indeed the case, in a perfect world, I'd rebuild the motor with different pistons, pick up the compression to 11:1 or so. Then I'd have the cam ground or purchase another cam for it. However, I've got too many cars with motors waiting a rebuild now (Mopars and otherwise), so I'm not ready to yank the hemi out for a rebuild just yet.

Don't see why I shouldn't run a solid roller - matched for the car - instead of a solid lifter cam. Should make more hp with a roller.

Scott

Last edited by bulletpruf; 04/09/09 12:04 PM.

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: bulletpruf] #282266
04/09/09 12:14 PM
04/09/09 12:14 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
That thing is sick. I would work with what you have, no need to run headers to get another 100HP out of it either.
You should set the valves anyway, why don't you pull the valvecovers and the front pulley and put a degree wheel on the crank? You can spec out the cam with the degree wheel and a dial indicator on the valves.
After setting the valves and figuring if you have an unstreetable cam or not, I would next check cranking pressure, then you can dial in the timing (34-35 total with a bunch of initial) and set up the carbs.
Without a scientific approach you'll just be chasing your tail. Without setting up the tune correctly you won't even know what your convertor can stall at with that combo.

Sheldon

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: bulletpruf] #282267
04/09/09 12:30 PM
04/09/09 12:30 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Motor has about 100 miles on it - everything was purchased new. Car was built and not driven.

As for the cam and compression, that's my guess - it's got a hairy solid roller cam and low compression. If this is indeed the case, in a perfect world, I'd rebuild the motor with different pistons, pick up the compression to 11:1 or so. Then I'd have the cam ground or purchase another cam for it. However, I've got too many cars with motors waiting a rebuild now (Mopars and otherwise), so I'm not ready to yank the hemi out for a rebuild just yet.

Don't see why I shouldn't run a solid roller - matched for the car - instead of a solid lifter cam. Should make more hp with a roller.

Scott

yeah, a solid roller is only hard on parts if it's an overly aggressive lobe...something more mild like a "street roller" should be fine. 450 on a chassis dyno wouldn't be bad, about what I'd expect. 450 on an engine dyno is pathetic, that's what a small block 408 will put out with eddie heads and a [Email]230@.050[/Email] hydraulic cam.

if it is overcammed, it seems odd to me that the HP peak is only at 6000 RPM. I wonder if the cam is way out of whack, either seriously advanced or retarded? maybe the valve springs are too light or the pushrods too small and you're getting some weird valvetrain harmonics/valve float, like the time Dulcich built up an indy headed 440 with a comp XE275HL and 1.6 rockers....in that build it just laid over at about 5000 RPM because of valvetrain instability, collapsing the lifters.

hemi exhaust manifolds are among the best factory manifolds out there, while you might gain with headers, I doubt the gain would be more than 20-30 HP...

Last edited by patrick; 04/09/09 12:34 PM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Apprecia [Re: bulletpruf] #282268
04/09/09 12:37 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

If I end up pulling it, I'm more than capable of figuring out what I have. I purchased this car already built, but I usually build my own cars. I have no experience with hemis, however.

Scott

I never questioned your abilities , but like you I'm not well versed in HEMI so if there is a question that I can't answer I'll turn it over to someone that can , cheaper in the long run should I end up doing something dumb .

But I question the ability of the shop that dynoed it if it's as bad as you say .

I drove a friends car that had a stock rebuild on a 426 , granted it was done by Barton , but driving that car told me I wanted a HEMI .

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: bulletpruf] #282269
Muskegon MI
S
SMRE Performance Offline
SMRE Performance  Offline
S

Muskegon MI
There are so many variables that come into play. I would definently check the plugs and really try to find out more about the specs I.E. compression ratio and cam specs. If the shop won't give them to you, which is bizarre, then there are other ways to find out, it just takes more work. If it comes to that and you need help trying to figure it out, you can give us a call or shoot us an e-mail and we will do all we can to help you get it figured out. It sounds like you have something with some potential, but wouldn't push it until you know the facts.

Kim
www.smreperformance.com
231-773-8150

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: RUNCHARGER] #282270
04/09/09 12:54 PM
04/09/09 12:54 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

That thing is sick. I would work with what you have, no need to run headers to get another 100HP out of it either.
You should set the valves anyway, why don't you pull the valvecovers and the front pulley and put a degree wheel on the crank? You can spec out the cam with the degree wheel and a dial indicator on the valves.
After setting the valves and figuring if you have an unstreetable cam or not, I would next check cranking pressure, then you can dial in the timing (34-35 total with a bunch of initial) and set up the carbs.
Without a scientific approach you'll just be chasing your tail. Without setting up the tune correctly you won't even know what your convertor can stall at with that combo.

Sheldon

Good point on the degree wheel. Will add that to the list of things to do.

Scott

Re: Pump Gas 426 Hemi is Kind of Weak! Advice Appreciated! [Re: patrick] #282271
04/09/09 12:58 PM
04/09/09 12:58 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

yeah, a solid roller is only hard on parts if it's an overly aggressive lobe...something more mild like a "street roller" should be fine. 450 on a chassis dyno wouldn't be bad, about what I'd expect. 450 on an engine dyno is pathetic, that's what a small block 408 will put out with eddie heads and a [Email]230@.050[/Email] hydraulic cam.

if it is overcammed, it seems odd to me that the HP peak is only at 6000 RPM. I wonder if the cam is way out of whack, either seriously advanced or retarded? maybe the valve springs are too light or the pushrods too small and you're getting some weird valvetrain harmonics/valve float, like the time Dulcich built up an indy headed 440 with a comp XE275HL and 1.6 rockers....in that build it just laid over at about 5000 RPM because of valvetrain instability, collapsing the lifters.

hemi exhaust manifolds are among the best factory manifolds out there, while you might gain with headers, I doubt the gain would be more than 20-30 HP...

In doing some research, one of the guys who helped build the car said, "It dynoed at 500 hp at 5,000 rpm. They didn't want to turn it any higher because someone told the owner not to beat on it before the engine was broken in." So, while it sounds like his numbers are off, maybe that's why they only twisted it to 6k.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4