08/21/20 11:25 AM
08/21/20 11:25 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
I guess my point was lost young guys see my wife car as a solid start.
They always comment just needs some wheels, exhaust, subwoofer, and a few stickers.
And ya,know they woukd be chick magnets end we,all know ricer guys get the Honeys. Piles of um.
In our market I can not find a starter used old truck or A Body to bounce around town in. Done cars or If.
REPETE hey are all 'If"
IF’ was a Skiff, We Would All Be on a Boat Ride.
If I sell it I need big bucks for the car because done itg is worth 100k.
Like it is a crime to just drop aittle coin on fixing some stuff on ome. To bounce around town in a mid 70s car are truck with 318 2bbl or slant.
Maybe that is why I like the Road Kill Show so much

Last edited by 340SIX; 08/21/20 11:27 AM.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: The current collector market [Re: 340SIX] #2811560
08/21/20 12:31 PM
08/21/20 12:31 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by 340SIX
They always comment just needs some wheels, exhaust, subwoofer, and a few stickers.
And ya,know they woukd be chick magnets end we,all know ricer guys get the Honeys. Piles of um.
In our market I can not find a starter used old truck or A Body to bounce around town in. Done cars or If.
REPETE hey are all 'If"
Like it is a crime to just drop aittle coin on fixing some stuff on ome. To bounce around town in a mid 70s car are truck with 318 2bbl or slant.

I get it on the Honda stuff. Not anything I would be interested in, but I have had that conversation with my next door neighbor. He has a one-owner '97 Acura 3.0CL coupe. It's a bit worn around the edges, the sunroof doesn't work, and it's got a lot of miles, BUT it's a two-door coupe that's loaded. When he retires in a couple of years there will be a line of young kids who WANT his car. At least that's what I think. He's not buying into it, yet...

Re: The current collector market [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2811564
08/21/20 12:45 PM
08/21/20 12:45 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
He has the 340-383 Cuda / Challenger in his driveway of todays cars.
I do not get it either. But that is the facts like it or not.
So it is not just New Muscle.
The thoughts of a Barn Find Honda. MAKES me want run screaming.

Last edited by 340SIX; 08/21/20 12:49 PM.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: The current collector market [Re: 340SIX] #2811597
08/21/20 01:35 PM
08/21/20 01:35 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I think the younger group was pushed into the import cars because it's easier to get a car payment and modify a running car vs buying an old car. The old cars in their price range would be rough and need serious help. Add in the fact that a lot of those guys likely had limited tools and knowledge and it was easier to buy something new. How many older guys would even give a younger guy parts or advice with an old car project? Not many I know of.

Girls that age are going to hang around with the guy who has a nice paint job and stereo vs the kid with a primered old car, no ac, scruffy interior, etc.

Re: The current collector market [Re: Neil] #2811607
08/21/20 01:53 PM
08/21/20 01:53 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by Neil
I think the younger group was pushed into the import cars because it's easier to get a car payment and modify a running car vs buying an old car. The old cars in their price range would be rough and need serious help. Add in the fact that a lot of those guys likely had limited tools and knowledge and it was easier to buy something new. How many older guys would even give a younger guy parts or advice with an old car project? Not many I know of.

Girls that age are going to hang around with the guy who has a nice paint job and stereo vs the kid with a primered old car, no ac, scruffy interior, etc.

The other reality is that the Honda market is based on reliability and small engines being able to take an incredible amount of abuse and just keep coming back for more.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: The current collector market [Re: Neil] #2811638
08/21/20 02:48 PM
08/21/20 02:48 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Originally Posted by Neil

not to mention the parts availability of those imports. still parts in junk yards at decent prices, can walk into any part store and get parts for them without having to order them... tons of aftermarket support too..

bottom line it is what they were brought up on, were handed down to and could afford.. and man do they support their hobby too. i'd drive by atco raceway on a muscle car day and it was crowded but on an import day they were lined up for a mile in each direction to get in.. the crowd blows away the muscle car crowd..

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: The current collector market [Re: 340SIX] #2811718
08/21/20 06:20 PM
08/21/20 06:20 PM
Tempe, AZ
L
loco340cuda Offline
super stock
loco340cuda  Offline
super stock
L

Tempe, AZ

I do not get it either. But that is the facts like it or not.
So it is not just New Muscle.
The thoughts of a Barn Find Honda. MAKES me want run screaming.

Totally agree.....

70 Cuda 340 4 speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Re: The current collector market [Re: 71TA] #2811724
08/21/20 06:54 PM
08/21/20 06:54 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by 71TA
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
people stating prices aren't going down that much is a reflection of the cheap $$$ flowing from the fed, emphasized by the extremely low interests rates. it's not really a true sign of the strength of the economy. yes some segments are strong but a larger portion is teetering on falling off the edge of the cliff.
interest rates go up 2 or 3 points all hell is going to break out. it's not a question of IF this will happen, it's WHEN it's going to happen.

BUT at our age we've all been through this 5 times now and know the world is not coming to an end. It's called a buying opportunity; stocks, CARS (did I mention I'd like to find a 74 Challenger 360 4sp), homes, INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS. Personally I am secretly waiting for a correction. Industrial building are TWICE what they "should" be around these parts.

When I worked as an engineer a coworker that made about what I did, $110k, LOST HIS $150K HOUSE during the great recession. I kept my house worth 3x as much and bought a small $50k industrial building and bought $50k of equipment to start my business. Some people will always be fools with their money.

i couldn't agree more.
the number of brain dead idiots financing everything up to their eyeballs and spending every cent they earn and more is mind boggling.
they learned nothing in the great recession.
but then again maybe they did. the government will bail out the bad actors just like last time. and they will whistle Dixie all the way to their next scam.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: The current collector market [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2811726
08/21/20 07:04 PM
08/21/20 07:04 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
REPETE hey are all 'If"

I get it on the Honda stuff. Not anything I would be interested in, but I have had that conversation with my next door neighbor. He has a one-owner '97 Acura 3.0CL coupe. It's a bit worn around the edges, the sunroof doesn't work, and it's got a lot of miles, BUT it's a two-door coupe that's loaded. When he retires in a couple of years there will be a line of young kids who WANT his car. At least that's what I think. He's not buying into it, yet...

That car will never be worth anything, the only "kid" (non NSX) honda stuff worth anything are the intergra type R's and you'll have to really want one, its still a FWD, slow car compared to anything being built today in the performance realm.

Re: The current collector market [Re: SRT6776] #2811815
08/21/20 11:59 PM
08/21/20 11:59 PM
Rochester NY
J
Jer Offline
super stock
Jer  Offline
super stock
J

Rochester NY

"not to mention the parts availability of those imports. still parts in junk yards at decent prices, can walk into any part store and get parts for them without having to order them... tons of aftermarket support too.."

This ^ My local yard has lots of imports from the 90s on up, but almost nothing 'old' (80's and older). Kind of like when I was younger and putting Chargers together. Need parts, just run down to the yards, lots of 'em, and could order new from any C-P or D dealer.

Re: The current collector market [Re: SRT6776] #2812020
08/22/20 06:36 PM
08/22/20 06:36 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
[ quote=SRT6776]
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
REPETE hey are all 'If"

That car will never be worth anything, the only "kid" (non NSX) honda stuff worth anything are the intergra type R's and you'll have to really want one, its still a FWD, slow car compared to anything being built today in the performance realm. [/quote]
I am with you on never having a value. But it has to do with less market for classics and brings the values down on them.
As the post right above states lots of aftermarket and used in the salavage yards like when we were young.

Last edited by 340SIX; 08/22/20 06:37 PM.

Re: The current collector market [Re: 340SIX] #2812076
08/22/20 08:52 PM
08/22/20 08:52 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
The value of old cars is held together by a group of buyers who feel they are worth that much to them. Once that group gets replaced by another group with a different set of values then the prices will reflect that change. Same thing with homes or anything else that people have dumped a bunch of money into. Your counting on others to see it your way, and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Re: The current collector market [Re: Neil] #2812082
08/22/20 09:05 PM
08/22/20 09:05 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
When I was just starting to drive cars The Model A's were big $ now not so much. We could grab one up if we wanted one now. My buddy started selling his big block 55 Bel Air at 32K but took it off the market as he said he could not build another for that. 15 years later he sold it for 20K in the same shape. lots of Tri 5 guys are older now and the wife that has a dead husband is calling my other friend who is a flipper to buy them.
The market dried up. when he started with Tri-5"s they were all the rage now no so as well with the exception of all #'s cars and convertibles

Last edited by 340SIX; 08/22/20 09:06 PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3