Virginia
V
varunner Offline OP
mopar
varunner  Offline OP
mopar
V

Virginia
Just happened again for the 4th time. It's getting old. Anyone solved this problem ?

Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: varunner] #2787657
06/21/20 08:42 AM
06/21/20 08:42 AM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Online content
top fuel
rickraw  Online Content
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
I had mice move in my lawn tractor engine cover. I put some snuggle dryer sheets around the engine, seemed to keep them away.

Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: rickraw] #2787667
06/21/20 09:19 AM
06/21/20 09:19 AM
NW Indiana
P
powertrip Offline
powertrip  Offline
P

NW Indiana
I live in a wooded area, mice are a constant problem. Dryer sheets, chlorine tabs, mint spray, nothing works for long.
If you are parked outside, DO NOT park close to the woods, park as far away from where they live as possible. Also keep it moving, they seem to set up house in things that are parked for a while.
If they are getting indoors, seal up any holes and cracks, they can get through holes smaller than a quarter. Keep vigilant, they will chew through wood to get in.
Use lots of traps placed along their paths, and even in engine compartments, check them every day. Some traps work better than others, try a variety of styles.

Good luck, I hate the little #$%&! flame

Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: powertrip] #2787682
06/21/20 10:20 AM
06/21/20 10:20 AM
Southern Alberta
Uberpube Offline
super stock
Uberpube  Offline
super stock

Southern Alberta
I had car/mice issues being in rural area. I adopted a young female cat from the pet rescue. The cat kills 2 a day, nothing else worked as well as the cat .

Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: Uberpube] #2787721
06/21/20 11:41 AM
06/21/20 11:41 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Get rid of any food and water sources that are in the garage. This includes birdseed. Have bird feeders outside? Get rid of them. Clear out any vegetation up against the house, prune bushes so you have 12" minimum clear so they can't hide and the predators/owls can pick them off easier. If you eliminate the food, water and shelter sources you should be good. Same goes for millenial's that won't leave home. LOL!

Carl Kessel
Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: varunner] #2787725
06/21/20 11:51 AM
06/21/20 11:51 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
We have about as much trouble with squirrels as with mice. Dirt daubers are also a real nuisance. I have not found anything that works for very long. Although moving the vehicle as often as possible does help.

The biggest problem with cats is that they catch and cripple or kill anything and everything that they can. It's heartbreaking to see. But that is one problem I have found a solution for.

Master, again and still
Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: DaveRS23] #2787775
06/21/20 02:12 PM
06/21/20 02:12 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
I have a ton of mice around here out in the sticks. And 30 years of experience battling them since I build my pole barn shop here. A multi pronged approach is needed. With all this stuff in play, I am winning. But the battle never ends.

Cats help, but they are unreliable. They can get lazy, then your stuff gets wrecked. I had 13 at one time, now I'm down to 1.

Irish Spring soap bars help, when they are fresh. But I've them eaten by mice, too. Cheap to buy, they can be part of the effort.

Bell and Howell ultrasonic pest reppeller helps. I have one in a storage trailer that was infested, now it is clear of mice and chipmunks. I also have them in my shop. Cheap, zero maintenance, never have to change them or empty traps. The thing is, they only help. Not good enuff to be your only weapon. Just yesterday I plugged one in outside in front of my shop because a chipmunk dug his hole there. We'll see how that works.

TomCat mouse poison bricks. They are about 1"x1"x2". I make an upside down T shaped "mouse feeder" out of 1-1/2" pvc pipe. The T is on the ground next to the outside wall of the building. The leg stands straight up and is fastened to the building. The bricks go in the leg, and are exposed 1 at a time inside the T as they nibble away at them. The mice like to go in the tube for security to eat. Pets can't get at the poison. Make the leg as tall as you want and fill it full, it is self feeding and the supply last for many months. This is very effective with zero negatives.

The mouse sized sticky traps are too small, many escape because they learn to eat the bait without stepping in the sticky stuff. Sometimes they sacrifice 1 paw.

Rat sized sticky traps with peanut butter, dry dog food, or commercially made bait, placed right in the center. Placed along the inside walls of the shop. These are VERY effective, especially for an initial clean up of a major infestation, but costly. They learn to avoid them after watching their buddy's get caught. Move them around a bit, but always in their pathways.

A little gray plastic trap called "the better mouse trap" available on line. They are very sensitive, and the mice that have learned to avoid springing other traps will get caught. But they are too light, and the spring is not strong enuff to kill them instantly every time. So they can scurry away and take the trap with them and get lost and die. So I glue a 1-1/2" square chunk of 1/8" thick steel to the bottom of it, then it's too heavy for them to drag.
I've tried a couple different knock offs of this design, like the Victor Claw. They don't work, too stiff, bait gets stolen.

Fresh Cab rodent repellent is VERY effective, but expensive and it needs to be replaced every 6 months or so, and it stinks.

"Walk the plank" bucket traps. Didn't work for me. Spent about 40 bucks buying a bunch, and never caught anything.

Traditional Victor spring traps. marginally effective. I get lucky and catch a few, but they are stiff to trigger. I lot of bait disappears without springing the trap.

Dryer sheets. Did accomplish anything.

Moth balls. about the same effectiveness as Irish Spring, but stink too bad.

Spinning, baited pop can or bottle on a rod over a bucket of water: haven't tried it yet, but will some day.

Am I missing anything?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"
Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: Hemi_Joel] #2787780
06/21/20 02:20 PM
06/21/20 02:20 PM
Southern Alberta
Uberpube Offline
super stock
Uberpube  Offline
super stock

Southern Alberta
Just get the right cat, i'v been lucky with this one, likes mice, moles and voles, it doesn't seem to like birds too much. Every morning its at the window waiting to go out on the kill. Havent had a mouse in the shop since I got it.

Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: varunner] #2787805
06/21/20 02:55 PM
06/21/20 02:55 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Check with your local animal shelter. Ours has a program where they with set you up with fixed feral cats that live and hunt on the property they own. These aren't pets just certified barn cats.

Re: Mice eating up my evap system and fuel lines [Re: second 70] #2787906
06/21/20 09:09 PM
06/21/20 09:09 PM
Virginia
V
varunner Offline OP
mopar
varunner  Offline OP
mopar
V

Virginia
Wow, thanks guys. Some of you all have been thru it. Both my car and truck are kept outside. It's pretty heavily wooded here. With traps I can keep the mice out of the garage, so I was thinking about keeping both vehicles inside now, but that means buying 2 garage door openers. I might try to make a wire basket and fill it with moth balls are attach it near the gas tanks. Maybe check it when I change oil. Need to do something as taking the bed off my truck to access the gas tank is a pain.