05/22/20 10:59 AM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
https://youtu.be/dJ2WSg7lGjk

I just saw this video and it involved Sox and Martin SS Barracuda, Duster, and transporter. Is this a true story in their history?
If it is, didn't Sox and Martin have enough "pull" at that time to just call up Chrysler and just get a Duster given to them?

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #2777047
05/22/20 02:20 PM
05/22/20 02:20 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Online content
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I'm sorry, but I couldn't stomach him.

S&M built a lot of cars, not every one of them was a "factory" car. Lots of them were customer cars, and some went to some big time street racers.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: slantzilla] #2777050
05/22/20 02:25 PM
05/22/20 02:25 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
I don't think he realizes the number of people who are still around to poke holes all through his story. twocents

Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: sixpakdodge] #2777144
05/22/20 06:40 PM
05/22/20 06:40 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Ahhh, nope.
Buddy Martin & Diane Sox are probably laughing too hard to respond...

Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: topside] #2777185
05/22/20 08:26 PM
05/22/20 08:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Well I got it straight from Arlen Vanke that they got virtually ZERO dollars from Chrysler BUT every year a transport truck showed up loaded with parts. At the time he told me this he was at the Nats and I was looking at a box FULL or brand new Milodon oil pumps and asked him what the deal was. He also had a small U-haul with stacks of Hemi heads that he was selling for $100 a pop. This was back in the mid-eighties.

Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: slantzilla] #2777441
05/23/20 06:57 PM
05/23/20 06:57 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
15 seconds into the video when this boy appears & starts talking, I'm thinking this guy is FOS. Made it to 30 seconds & turned it off.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2777464
05/23/20 08:05 PM
05/23/20 08:05 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Different guys got different deals.
I know that in '65 for instance, there were spare parts for the AFX contract racers on basically a "what do you need?" basis.
That could include a spare body in white (happened with the Melrose Missile), and my AFX buddy tells stories of visiting S&M and seeing so many Hemis that they'd walk over them to reach the far end.
What the money was, I'd need to call; but '68 was a different period, and my source was off contract then.
Of course, there was also the Supercar Clinic program, which IIRC paid, but was as we know very limited.

Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: topside] #2777493
05/23/20 09:09 PM
05/23/20 09:09 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Mike Schenk, who used to work at Mancini's, told me that when he was training at Motech a trailer would come in with engines for the school and included in the load would be a few hemi's which would mysteriosly disappear by the next day. John Tedder was an instructor at Motech and ran a SS Barracuda.

Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: Stanton] #2777566
05/24/20 12:20 AM
05/24/20 12:20 AM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Online work
I Live Here
6bblgt  Online Work
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by Stanton
John Tedder was an instructor at Motech and ran a SS Barracuda.

everyone figured it should be, but it was NOT a factory HEMI SS (B029M8) Barracuda

JohnTedderMrMoTech68Cuda.jpg
Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: Stanton] #2777645
05/24/20 10:56 AM
05/24/20 10:56 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Stanton
Well I got it straight from Arlen Vanke that they got virtually ZERO dollars from Chrysler BUT every year a transport truck showed up loaded with parts. At the time he told me this he was at the Nats and I was looking at a box FULL or brand new Milodon oil pumps and asked him what the deal was. He also had a small U-haul with stacks of Hemi heads that he was selling for $100 a pop. This was back in the mid-eighties.
I would think that the guys that did the Clinics may have gotten cash if nothing else to help with expenses. A would also agree the parts bin was pretty deep for these guys.

I saw Don Grotheer's 68 Barracuda as he came through Tulsa on the way back from picking it up. It was far from complete, more like a kit car. Transmission in the trunk, carpet stuffed inside and a street hemi sitting under the hood. This made me think he did not pay much if anything for it.

Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #2777700
05/24/20 03:20 PM
05/24/20 03:20 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Sox and Martin had two different Hurst hemi Cuda in 1968, the first one was a "early" car and the second one was better due to Hurst and Chrysler updating the construction of those cars as they where made. Dick Landy and Sox and Martin put on many dealership drag seminars, they got paid for doing those as well as being fully sponsored on all their cars, parts, haulers and employee wages and so on.
I was lucky enough to know several Mopar racers sponsored by Dodge and Plymouth that lived and raced out of SO CA, Dick and Mike Landy, Bob Lambeck, Joe Alread, Rudy Schling (SP?) John Dieanna and Dave Wren from the northwest.
I was at Landys shop in Northridge, CA on a Saturday morning in the early spring of 1971 or maybe in 1972, there was commercial car hauler unloading a bunch of new Dodges for them to build for some of there customers according to Robert Landy, I had ask him if those where going to be their new drag cars and he said no, they where for customers work
I got to know John Dieanna well enough for him to sell me and a friend of mine some of his race parts after he quit racing full time and needed to work full time for Pertersen Publishing, he was working as the publisher, head honcho, for Motor Trend magazine and was spending a lot of time in Europe so he had to stop drag racing. I ask why he quit racing and it happen due to two of the Pertersen Sons getting kill in a airplane accident in Colorado while the family was on vacation and Pertersen gave him a choice, write and work full time for the company( he had been a part time editor, writer up until then) or go racing full time for Plymouth work He chose writing.
I also ask him how much Plymouth paid him to race and he said his sponsorship include all the parts he needed and a unlimited credit card to race on as well as they paid for a full time employee working fo rhim taking care of the racing end, he didn't say he didn't get a salary but he was at every race national that NHRA put on back then as well as a lot of the Division 5,6 and 7 races shruggy He raced full time and wrote part time back then, racing at that level has never been cheap so it isn't hard to figure out who was paying him and how much he was making, he had a really nice house in San Fernando Valley, probably worth well north of $200,000.00 in 1977 up
I had the luck to be able to talk to Ronnie Sox at the 1975 Winternationals and again much later in 1991 at Rockingham , N.C. . Chrysler had made all the racers that they had been sponsoring in drag racing to quit racing Pro Stock for 1975 and go back to SS, Modified or Comp S&M had bought Judy Lilly original1968 Hemi Cuda to race in SS that year, that was when he told me about having two of the original 1968 Hemi Cuda. Chrysler supported many small time racers with parts back then, if you did good racing at the track and operated in a good professional manner at the track they would help you if you needed it up
As far as that guys story about his Grandpa Valiant, me thinks he is making that story up about Sox and Martin not being able to get a Duster body back then. Plymouth wanted to sell Cuda, not Valiants so that is the body style they race with back then shruggy
Butch Leal was one of the first drag racers that I can remember going against the grain on racing a Duster in Pro Stock instead of a Cuda, he did win that years World finals in Ontario, CA but Chrysler protested something about the car after the race and I don't remember the outcome now whiney
Time flys and stories get enriched or forgotten in time work

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 05/24/20 03:24 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Sox and Martin folks, does this story make sense [Re: Cab_Burge] #2777726
05/24/20 04:08 PM
05/24/20 04:08 PM
Hamburg, Pa.
72 RR DUDE Offline
mopar
72 RR DUDE  Offline
mopar

Hamburg, Pa.
Back in the 70's i helped wrench on the car that is pictured and John Tedder built the engines for the car.We were at Milan dragway testing a new engine and had the opportunity to go in the building where the Motown Missile was kept. The Missiles were sitting on jack stands and the back wall was lined with Hemi engines the parts room was filled and I'll never forget seeing 55 gallon drums of valve springs. Those were the days!!!!!!!

Lau Raider.jpg