ohio
R
ruderunner Offline OP
master
ruderunner  Offline OP
master
R

ohio
So as im preparing the garden for the season, I've decided to look into a better watering system than currently used. I go out and spray with the hose, trying to keep the spray down low.

I've looked at a couple starter systems but they seem to come with drip ports made into the hoses about every 12 inches.

Id need more spacing for some of the plants, more like 2 feet. Are there systems that allow you to put the drippers where you want? I realize that would probably mean cutting hoses to length.

Also, all appear to be designed to connect to a hose spigot, I'd rather go with a cistern fed off the gutters. Is that doable?

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: ruderunner] #2775436
05/17/20 02:11 PM
05/17/20 02:11 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
If you are going to use a pump to run the water from the cistern then I know they make them with hose outlets, I have one.

If you are going gravity fed then just put a hose faucet on the outlet.

As for the spacing, I know Rain Bird sells blank hose with no preinstalled emmiters and you can install their spot emitters wherever you want in the line.

Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: ruderunner] #2775502
05/17/20 05:22 PM
05/17/20 05:22 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Over time, water quality regarding clogging is a real issue. Even suggest using a filter with city water. Also suggest the non clog style punch in drippers. Without decent pressure, just algae growth will stop up most drippers. But none of mine need spray emitters so no advice there. I don't like fixed emmitter spacing hose type, once it clogs, you throw the whole thing away. I use mine on Italian cypress, Golden Shrimp, Pineapple, Ponderosa Lemon, Orange trees, Grapefruit and Lime. They are all on timers, And long runs do lower the output towards the end of a run, feeding from the center of a long run might be better solution. You need more pressure then a gravity system will deliver if both are ground level. Most big box stores have limited selection, buy online.

Last edited by jcc; 05/17/20 05:26 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: jcc] #2775543
05/17/20 07:04 PM
05/17/20 07:04 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Well jCsea ... aren’t you a well diverse guy !

Well so am I .... I have a timed drip system on my line of plants at my condo ....

NO issues here other than that mild alge problem .... jsta change all the hoses ?

21AEA15B-4BBB-4A14-9792-5C82BFF07FC5.jpeg
Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: ruderunner] #2775550
05/17/20 07:26 PM
05/17/20 07:26 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Online content
ESYC
srt  Online Content
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I've pretty much tried them all and depending on crop I use different different drippers. I recommend a filter and 25 psi inline regulator.
I use shrubblers for tomatoes, squash and other plants I can water in a well around the plant. The ones on a stake are nice and different flow rates are available, if they plug, unscrew and clean. Beets, carrots and similar fet sprayers I use 1/4 arc, 1/2, and full circle and make sure I get the spray from one, hits the base of it's neighbor, that way you get full coverage. I use rainbird adjustable xeri-spray. They can be cleaned with a small wire, or, the spray cap can be pried off and cleaned. I also use pressure regulating drip emitters on plantts like peppers, beans peas, etc.You'll need to get stakes to mount the spray heads. I also use vortex, but for flowers and plants.
Keep in mind the runs you have, I prefer no dead ends, rather loop the system and at the high point install a air vent/vacuum relief valve It lets the air out of the line quickly and all emitters start dripping at about the same time. Also whatever plants you are watering, it's best to more-or-less balance the system so when you run for, say, 20 minutes all plants get sufficient water. Sometimes it's best to not mix too many different emitters on a single line. Lastly I like to use connectors that can be put together and taken apart called perma-loc. They allow re-configuring the system easier that push on type.

Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: srt] #2775631
05/18/20 05:26 AM
05/18/20 05:26 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline OP
master
ruderunner  Offline OP
master
R

ohio
Regarding cistern vs spigot, I was intending to go gravity feed . I like the cistern idea because I can let the water run for a longer period to ensure deep watering without running the well down.

Also the ability to dose plant food into the supply easily.

Looks like Rainbird offers the flexibility of placement and different sizes of nozzles.

Ill keep looking into it.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: ruderunner] #2775894
05/18/20 06:26 PM
05/18/20 06:26 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
I weave a soaker hose connected to a spigot around the base of the plants, secured in place with modified tent stakes. A timer turns the flow on and off a couple of times a day. Periodically, I manually spray with a hose also. Harvested the first 9 ears of corn today. Absolutely yummy. There are a couple of dozen more ears out there. More will be picked tomorrow.

Corn.jpgCorn 2.jpg
Last edited by Ramrod39; 05/18/20 06:31 PM.
Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: ruderunner] #2775909
05/18/20 07:10 PM
05/18/20 07:10 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Online sleepy
I Live Here
calmopar  Online Sleepy
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
I use larger tubing to snake around the garden. When I get to something that needs a drip, I punch in a 1/8 in connector and run it to the plant. At that point I can put in an emitter, a bubbler, a sprayer, whatever. I like to keep the water from splashing so that pathogens that are in the soil dont get up on the leaves. For small trees in containers I run 1/8 in tubing into a T connector where I loop some tubing that has built in emitters like this stuff https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/irrigation-drip-tubing-ml-106b

I run the system off several timers like this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rain-Bird-Pro-Grade-Hose-End-Digital-1-Station-Irrigation-Timer/3643892

Each of those timer/valves is connected into a piping system which is driven by something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-HP-...-with-Pressure-Control-Switch-63752.html

That pump pulls from my 1000 gal tank which is filled with spring water. The pump pressurizes the line and waits for pressure to drop before turning on again. When any of the timers opens up, the irrigation starts and the pump comes on soon after. When the timer closes up, the pump fully pressurizes the line and turns off.

Some important things (some have been said so I repeat for emphasis):

Pressure regulators are key to keeping everything alive and delivering water at the rate you want.

Make sure you have no leaks in the pressurized side.

Use a filter or filters. All my emitters work and have not clogged because I do a lot of filtering.

Not everything has the same watering needs so plan to have multiple timer/valves

Check from time to time to make sure everything is working. My ex FIL killed thousands of dollars of my containerized bamboo when I was on a long vacation because he shut down the system and did not check to see if the watering was happening.

If you want to do a gravity feed I have no idea if that would be enough pressure but would be curious to find out!

Last edited by calmopar; 05/19/20 09:13 AM.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: Gardening guys, drip irrigation questions [Re: calmopar] #2776339
05/20/20 12:49 AM
05/20/20 12:49 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
dOoC  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Anyone on my algae issue ? OTHER THAN changing out all the tubing in the whole system OR to remove the drip tubes from the plants and then running bleach through them THEN flushing them with fresh ?