04/30/20 01:53 PM
04/30/20 01:53 PM
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
'
'70Satellite Offline OP
'70Satellite  Offline OP
'

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hey all. So the engine builder is assembling the 440 this week. Should be at dyno next week. I'll be picking up the car from storage this Saturday if it's not pouring rain. I have some questions that have me a bit confused because I'm getting different stories from people. Just so everyone is up to speed, I'm pulling the 318/904 out of my 1970 Plymouth Satellite, and putting in a 440/727 from a 1977 New Yorker.

1) Alternator. I am currently running a single groove 60amp unit. Assuming I can make the brackets work, or fab something, will this alternator work for me? If not, why, and what is the alternative? The alternator off the New Yorker is gone, but I have the brackets still.

2) Power steering pump. I currently have power steering. I also have the New Yorker power steering unit. I've been told I won't be able to use the New Yorker power steering pump as it won't fit with my K member. Is this correct? I certainly want to keep power steering.

3) Radiator. My Satellite currently has a 19" wide core. It's a new rad but I won't be using it for obvious reasons. Too small, wrong input output locations, etc. So I bought a Champion Cooling 3 core large tube 26" wide core aluminum unit. Without having the car in front of me, what will I have to do to make this rad fit? I didn't buy a shroud for it as the shroud listed had only a 16" diameter hole for the fan. My clutch fan off the 440 is 18.5". I can fab my own shroud easy enough, but I'm worried about the mods to make the 26" work now.

4) Clutch fan. As stated above, I have the existing 18.5" diameter clutch fan from the 1977 New Yorker. I can fab my own shroud, but will this fan be ok?(assuming the clutch works. I'd probably replace the clutch) If for some reason this fan won't work, should I go with a different clutch fan, or a fixed fan. I am not interested in going electric fan at this time.

5) Air cleaner. So it would be great to know what others have used in this situation. I have a 440 going in, with Edelbrock RPM intake and Holley carb, but have a stock hood. I want to keep the stock hood for now at least. If anyone has done a similar swap, can you let me know what air cleaner will fit under the stock hood please. That RPM manifold sites quite high I've been told.

Thank you so much guys. Your help through this process has been invaluable. I'll post dyno numbers when it's done. I'm hoping for 400hp/475tq. I'm just trying to get ahead of any issues I might run into once the actual swap starts.

Re: Which accessories can I use? [Re: '70Satellite] #2769852
04/30/20 03:17 PM
04/30/20 03:17 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

I don't see why the alt woudn't work.

never heard about the k-member affecting the powersteering pump.
Again, can't see why it wouldn't work.
The only thing would be the high pressure hose might be different for the ends. but that shouldn't be a big deal.

for the radiator, it depends.
I would guess for that car someone makes the extra support on the one side it would have to be larger.
people cut that side of the radiator support to open it up. Others don't bother and just drill the extra holes.

basically you put the radiator in, see which 2 holes line up, then drill holes on the other side to bolt it in. using 2 of the original holes and 2 new.
you will see how much of it is overlapped by the rad support and you can decide if you want to cut it out or let it go.

Re: Which accessories can I use? [Re: '70Satellite] #2769865
04/30/20 03:59 PM
04/30/20 03:59 PM
s. e. pa.
C
calrobb2000 Offline
top fuel
calrobb2000  Offline
top fuel
C

s. e. pa.
hi

install rad using 2 holes on driver side and drill 2 holes for pas side

autocity 1958 e bay has 26" radiators with 2 row large tube core that allow more room for clutch fan than champion brand ! got one for my hemi car !
also a stock fan shroud bolts right on !

several styles of power steering pumps / brackets just decide what you need .

stick with the 60 amp alt , seen many of problems created by going too big amp alt and many burned up wires due to too many amps in wire not heavy enough to carry amp load , low battery and 90 amps i a 60 amp system = bad news !

Re: Which accessories can I use? [Re: calrobb2000] #2769876
04/30/20 04:28 PM
04/30/20 04:28 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

well there is a bypass for that so you don't overload the old wires, plus relays you can add for the high amp loads.
That is what I did.

Re: Which accessories can I use? [Re: Andrewh] #2769905
04/30/20 06:27 PM
04/30/20 06:27 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I don't see a problem with the alternator or the PS, as long as they'll mount to the BB brackets.
(Also assuming the alternator kept up with whatever equipment you already have.)
Never heard of PS pump in that era interfering with a K-member.
I had a BB Duster with a 26" radiator swapped into it, using the original rad support (not opened up), wasn't a problem.
18.5" is a large fan, probably not necessary, but by all means use a shroud.
I'm pretty sure all Mopar clutch-fans interchange as far as the 4-bolt pattern to the clutch.
There's also the Jaguar-spec shorty clutch, or just run a direct fan (for what I guess is a street cruiser).
Should be fairly easy to find an OEM shroud that'll work.
Speedway sells a universal fan shroud, roundabout $50, but you'll have to make brackets.
Air cleaner - look for a drop base (Ebay, Amazon, Summit/Jegs/Speedway) and run that under your stock setup. You may have to play with element sizing (ID/OD/height).