04/16/20 09:31 PM
04/16/20 09:31 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
My 1970 Dart didn't want to start but it did when I jumped the starter relay. So I got a new relay and I have the same issue. I was checking wires with my multi-meter and found that the black ground wire on the relay is carrying nearly 12 volts. I ran a temporary ground from the lug on the relay and it started right up.

Anyone have any idea where to look to see how the ground wire is getting voltage? Could it be a problem in the ignition switch?

UPDATE: I just discovered the lights in my gauge cluster aren't working. Could a short in the dash pass voltage to the starter relay ground??

Last edited by MadMatt; 04/16/20 10:54 PM.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Starter relay question [Re: MadMatt] #2764832
04/16/20 09:59 PM
04/16/20 09:59 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You jumped the "G" terminal to ground & it started? If so see why the downstream end of the black wire ain't being grounded when you put it park/neutral.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Starter relay question [Re: RapidRobert] #2764846
04/16/20 10:23 PM
04/16/20 10:23 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
You jumped the "G" terminal to ground & it started? If so see why the downstream end of the black wire ain't being grounded when you put it park/neutral.

Are you suggesting it is the neutral safety switch? I can check that, but would a problem with the neutral safety switch put voltage into the wire? Does the neutral safety switch carry voltage?

UPDATE: I just discovered the lights in my gauge cluster aren't working. Could a short in the dash pass voltage to the starter relay ground??

Last edited by MadMatt; 04/16/20 10:55 PM.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Starter relay question [Re: MadMatt] #2764886
04/17/20 01:22 AM
04/17/20 01:22 AM
Auburn WA
Dave_J Offline
master
Dave_J  Offline
master

Auburn WA
Originally Posted by MadMatt
Originally Posted by RapidRobert

Are you suggesting it is the neutral safety switch? I can check that, but would a problem with the neutral safety switch put voltage into the wire? Does the neutral safety switch carry voltage?

The neutral switch is just a switched hard ground. The wire going to it will have 12 Volts waiting for that ground to short it and the relay will close..

That black wire at the starter relay when removed should show a dead short looking at the neutral switch. If you do not see that dead short, the wire or the switch is defective.

Is your neutral switch in the transmission or on the shifter inside the C0ckpit?

Your Dash light issues are something else most likely.

Retired, US ARMY 1973-1994
ASE mechanic, Electrical 1994-1997
Retired GTE/VERIZON/FRONTIER 1997-2015

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

03 Suzuki Burgman 650(Burger King) Scooter
65 Formula S Cuda
78 Little Red Express Truck
98 Buick Regal (wifes car)
Re: Starter relay question [Re: Dave_J] #2764911
04/17/20 07:46 AM
04/17/20 07:46 AM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
In an electrical circuit like the relay, you have a coil wire attached between the starter switch power source 12V terminal on the relay and the ground terminal waiting to be grounded either thru the neutral switch or manual clutch switch. When no ground or path back to the source battery exist there is no current flow, but the voltage applied at the terminal can be seen all along the point of connections. (in this case right to the neutral switch) So yes chances are your neutral switch is the issue. Especially since you remove ground wire and had continuity back to the terminal. Your added ground wire jumped all the safety switches out of the circuit, so when the ignition key produced the 12V, the car started.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: dragon slayer] #2764940
04/17/20 09:56 AM
04/17/20 09:56 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Illustration to go with Sniper's explanation.

When the key switch is in Start position and the relay's electromagnetic coil is grounded, the circuit is completed.
Inside the starter is a larger more powerful electromagnet - the solenoid. It works the same way but draws power direct from the battery through the heavy (4 or 6 ga) cable.

Starter_relay_operation.png
Re: Starter relay question [Re: Mattax] #2764953
04/17/20 10:13 AM
04/17/20 10:13 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Indirect answer to Dash lights.
Normally when the engine is turning the alternator, the alternator supplies power around 14 Volts.
When that's not happening, the battery supplies power around 12+ Volts.
Voltage is like pressure in a water or piped air system.
Amperage is a measurement of flow like gallons per minute for a liquid, or cfm for air.

This is important when trying to figure out what is happening.
The ammeter shows current flowing from the battery. If any circuit is completed, the needle should move. It will move tiny amount for dash light, more for dome light and brake lights, and so forth,
Voltage (pressure) is always present if a wire is connected to the battery positive. It doesn't matter if current is flowing.
So two different tools.

The dash lights get their power through the fusebox withough going through the key switch. That circuit is always hot. It is controlled through the headlight switch.,
The dome light is also always hot, as is the dome light itself. It's controlled by any switch on the return line, including a portion of the headlight switch. Any one of those switches completing the circuit to ground.
All wires connected to the battery positive, including the alternator output wire are always hot. If any of them are accidently grounded the battery will discharge big time! So be careful!

Charging-diagram70.png
Re: Starter relay question [Re: Mattax] #2764965
04/17/20 10:37 AM
04/17/20 10:37 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
take the black wire off of the G terminal on the relay. connect the G male terminal to a good ground with a jumper wire. trans in park or neutral. turn the key & see if it cranks. If no go the NSS at the trans or shifter ain't grounding it in park/neutral like it should which you are duplicating that with the jumper. the black wire from relay down to the NSS could have a break (open) in the wire but not likely.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: RapidRobert] #2765080
04/17/20 02:14 PM
04/17/20 02:14 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Dash lights might be the headlight switch section. Try turning the brightness up and down to se if the rheostat is good.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: MadMatt] #2766429
04/20/20 06:26 PM
04/20/20 06:26 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions so far. I still have the same issues but I have some more information. First, it is definitely NOT the neutral safety switch. I'm sure of this because I don't have one. I converted the car to a Tremec TKO600 and we decided to forego the safety switch on the transmission and just use the one in my brain.

I have some auxiliary gauges that are wired into the lighting circuit for the dash cluster gauges. The auxiliary gauges light up and dim when I turn the headlight switch, but the OEM ones don't.

Any ideas out there?

Re: Starter relay question [Re: MadMatt] #2766442
04/20/20 07:12 PM
04/20/20 07:12 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
it is definitely NOT the neutral safety switch. I'm sure of this because I don't have one

That would have been good information to have earlier.

I ran a temporary ground from the lug on the relay and it started right up.

Is this still the case?

No NSS means you still have to ground the G (ground) terminal to make the relay work. A simple loop to a known good ground will work. The I terminal should be the start wire from the switch (yellow) and get hot in the start position.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Starter relay question [Re: CMcAllister] #2766474
04/20/20 08:40 PM
04/20/20 08:40 PM
Mobile Al
H
hemirdrnnr Offline
top fuel
hemirdrnnr  Offline
top fuel
H

Mobile Al
Are these new starter relays maybe made in china, if so wack it and try to start it.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: MadMatt] #2766595
04/21/20 08:31 AM
04/21/20 08:31 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Originally Posted by MadMatt
Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions so far. I still have the same issues but I have some more information. First, it is definitely NOT the neutral safety switch. I'm sure of this because I don't have one. I converted the car to a Tremec TKO600 and we decided to forego the safety switch on the transmission and just use the one in my brain.

Any ideas out there?

Manual transmission starter relays were available in 2 styles. Early, where the ground lug in question was soldered directly to the case. Thus that circuit was always grounded. Late, where the circuit in question went to a clutch switch. The switch grounded when the clutch was depressed. So you had to push the clutch to crank. Grounding that circuit is all you need if you don't desire the clutch option. The light issue is not related.
Doug

Re: Starter relay question [Re: dvw] #2766604
04/21/20 08:57 AM
04/21/20 08:57 AM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
Funny how answers are all over the place. This is a 1970 car. So it should have a safety switch. Having said this, the owner has not really provided good info. Is this an Auto car swapped to manual or a manual car swapped to new TKO manual?

A manual transmission does not have a safety switch. It has a backup light. The safety switch was on the clutch petal as explained. Did you remove that too?

It really is simple, you add a ground wire and it works. Since you want to use brain instead of safety switch, keep the ground you attached in place. Your done. I already explained why in an electrical circuit you see voltage even if the circuit is not drawing current.

You next problem is dash lights if it still exist.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: dragon slayer] #2766643
04/21/20 10:39 AM
04/21/20 10:39 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I know Matt's car a bit, he's had it for maybe 30 years.
It was converted from AT to the Tremec several years back and has been driven a fair amount since.
But IIRC it does sit for periods of time in his home garage.
That tells me something has changed or deteriorated.
I've had a starter relay with a loose terminal that would occasionally no-start; wiggle the connection, and it would work.
Matt, look at the other end/connection of whatever grounded the relay before, including the wire itself.
Could even be a faulty replacement relay, ground shouldn't be carrying 12V, right ?

Dash lights: so the dimmer rheostat works the A/M gauge lighting OK, but not the cluster lamps ?
I'd look at whatever the different routing for those two is, including the big connector at the back of the cluster circuit board.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: topside] #2766678
04/21/20 12:09 PM
04/21/20 12:09 PM
Auburn WA
Dave_J Offline
master
Dave_J  Offline
master

Auburn WA
Originally Posted by topside
It was converted from AT to the Tremec several years back and has been driven a fair amount since.
I've had a starter relay with a loose terminal that would occasionally no-start; wiggle the connection, and it would work.
Matt, look at the other end/connection of whatever grounded the relay before, including the wire itself.

Could even be a faulty replacement relay, ground shouldn't be carrying 12V, right ?

Dash lights: so the dimmer rheostat works the A/M gauge lighting OK, but not the cluster lamps ?
I'd look at whatever the different routing for those two is, including the big connector at the back of the cluster circuit board.

Any circuit that is looking for a ground that has an open, like you remove the ground source, will have line voltage potential. This is how 95% of things in a car/truck work. You open the car door and the switch at the A pillar goes to ground and the dome light goes on. But pull the grounding door switch out and measure the voltage at the Yellow wire and you will find 12+ Volts DC.

Retired, US ARMY 1973-1994
ASE mechanic, Electrical 1994-1997
Retired GTE/VERIZON/FRONTIER 1997-2015

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

03 Suzuki Burgman 650(Burger King) Scooter
65 Formula S Cuda
78 Little Red Express Truck
98 Buick Regal (wifes car)
Re: Starter relay question [Re: topside] #2766712
04/21/20 12:53 PM
04/21/20 12:53 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by topside

Actually, I've had it for 23 years, but otherwise your remember correctly. It was a column shift automatic and when I installed the Tremec I used a steering column out of a 71 or 72 floor shift Duster. I agree that I think something has deteriorated. I've never had an starting issues until after this winter's hibernation, and no dash light issues either. And just to be clear, the ground wire shows battery voltage whether it is connected to the relay or hanging loose. I guess it could be a coincidence that these 2 issues developed simultaneously, but it seems weird. I guess I need to start wiggling wires and checking grounds.

Re: Starter relay question [Re: MadMatt] #2766825
04/21/20 05:38 PM
04/21/20 05:38 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Look for rodent damage. A ground wire hanging loose from the relay should not have 12v on it.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Starter relay question [Re: CMcAllister] #2766951
04/21/20 10:46 PM
04/21/20 10:46 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
^^^ agreed, the ground wire out from the G terminal should only be hot in ign2 "cranking" ign switch position

Re: Starter relay question [Re: RapidRobert] #2767020
04/22/20 09:02 AM
04/22/20 09:02 AM
VA
D
dragon slayer Offline
pro stock
dragon slayer  Offline
pro stock
D

VA
What does hanging loose mean? Loose from ground point or loose from relay. Yes big assumption that when measuring voltage he had ignition on. Not off.

If he has ground wire on frame of car and it measures 12V when hanging loose, he does have other bigger issues and I assume that would also mean the ground wire from battery is no longer attached to frame or battery since that would be a direct short across the battery and boom. But since he hung a separate ground wire to the relay and the car started, I don't think that is the case. Now, certainly it may be a works sometimes not other times relay, but..... he swapped in one.

So I guess we could ask, where do you ground your starter relay too (originally), since the safety switch was removed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2