05/02/07 10:57 AM
05/02/07 10:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone tried Epifanes paint yet? Much more color variety than Brightside.

Another question....

I have not read anything about anyone doing the rolling and tipping technique. This seems to bee the standard technique used in boat painting with topside paint. Just wondering if I missed this somewhere on the board.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27539
05/02/07 01:00 PM
05/02/07 01:00 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
Rolling and tipping is used on the Brightside applications, I suspect it would be used on all of the urethane paint jobs. I know I have seen it being talked about every now and then. So I would say it is there, you probably overlooked it somehow.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: v8mirage] #27540
05/02/07 05:24 PM
05/02/07 05:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My rattle can experience. I've tried getting a color match for my 73 datsun 240z #918 burnt orange. I spotted a car being done in a similar color on Duplicolor's website. It's Duplicolor's High temp engine enamel, Chevrolet orange. I bought a 12 oz can an gave it a try. Color was a real close match and coverage was great. Gloss was good and it leveled out nicely. The paint dried real fast but I waited til the next day to try to wet sand. I wet sanded 400 then 600 and polished the test area.
For the small amount of effort I considered the finish better and easier to get than using a roller. Granted the rattle can paint will end up costing more. But, until now I haven't had an acceptable color match. Not sure why the rattle can enamel dried so fast. Als, the finish was much harder after one day than what I was getting with a roller.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27541
05/02/07 07:12 PM
05/02/07 07:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let's see if I can upload a picture...albeit without trim, and unfortunately with me beside it...
This is Tremclad Flat White and Tremclad dark blue mixed, and sprayed on.

3476251-CIMG2546.JPG (1229 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Gusteve] #27542
05/02/07 07:41 PM
05/02/07 07:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

actually I thinned a bit more on the hood, and got almost no roller marks. Im goin to try wet sanding a little section, i'll let u know how it goes.

for the large sections, i used low odor min. spirits, which stays workable alot longer, blending worked good.

i experimented w/ Flat, and it had more texture when you rub your hand across it, felt "dirty", the satin was more like DPLF primer, or something, hard and smooth.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27543
05/02/07 09:16 PM
05/02/07 09:16 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Aussie,

Did you start your yellow cutting pad w/ SSR3 or SSR2.5?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: kenzo42] #27544
05/02/07 10:04 PM
05/02/07 10:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Aussie,

Did you start your yellow cutting pad w/ SSR3 or SSR2.5?

Kenzo, I don't mean to rain on Aussie's parade but I figured I'd get you a quick answer here since I basically just asked him the same question. Aussie posted a pic on page 77 where he went from a wet sand with 2000 to SSR2.5 and got a nearly mirror finish. This morning I went to poorboysworld.com and ordered what he recommended which was SSR2.5, SSR1, and EX-P. I got all three in the 32oz. size for $76 including shipping. My other option was going to be the Meguiar's products which are considerably more expensive IMHO.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27545
05/02/07 10:12 PM
05/02/07 10:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

New Guy here, I have been following/playing around with this for a a couple of years now.

Coming from an autobody background I figured I had to give it a try.

I will post up more when I have time, but I did want to let all of you know that Menards (and maybe other places) are back to Mixing Rustoleum pro.They have a Color chart you can pick up of what they can mix, and I think there was about 30 colors.
So more options!!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27546
05/02/07 10:34 PM
05/02/07 10:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is a whole lot more than 30 colors on these 2 color charts between the masstone and pastel bases. But also I was at Ace and the one guy said that Rustoleum made their paint and they had hundreds of colors available. I missed the edge of the one a little because of the size of the chart anyway.

3476732-scan0001.jpg (1548 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27547
05/02/07 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I did want to let all of you know that Menards (and maybe other places) are back to Mixing Rustoleum pro.They have a Color chart you can pick up of what they can mix, and I think there was about 30 colors.
So more options!!!!

You don't suppose that we all had anything to do with that do you??? HUUUUMMM?????

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27548

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Masstone base chart(Rustoleum)

3476736-scan0002.jpg (7891 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27549
05/02/07 10:47 PM
05/02/07 10:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's a paint chart for the Ace Rust Stop Paint that I was given at my local Ace. I'm actually going with Gloss Black Rustoleum Professional because it was about $10 cheaper per gallon than the Ace paint but I thought you guys might like to see this. It does say that there are "Hundreds" of additional choices.

3476777-acecolors.jpg (50591 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27550
05/03/07 08:18 AM
05/03/07 08:18 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

actually I thinned a bit more on the hood, and got almost no roller marks. Im goin to try wet sanding a little section, i'll let u know how it goes.

for the large sections, i used low odor min. spirits, which stays workable alot longer, blending worked good.

i experimented w/ Flat, and it had more texture when you rub your hand across it, felt "dirty", the satin was more like DPLF primer, or something, hard and smooth.

Please let us know what happens when you sand it. I would expect that it wouldn't take too much sanding to turn the satin into semi-gloss, and then you'd have to redo the entire panel.

Also, just to clarify, it sounds like you did the rear quarters and the roof all at the same time using the longer work time of the low-oder spirits. So you didn't have to worry about blending a previously completed quarter panel with a newly rolled c-piller section from the roof - Is that correct?

At this point - I think that you are only person on the thread that has rolled on a flat, IIRC. (There might have been one guy way back in the original thread, but that was a long time ago.)

For those of us that are cheap AND impatient - the satin finish is the way to go. I would also think that rolling a gloss over the satin at some time down the road (in the same color) would be less work than starting from scratch to do gloss.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Gusteve] #27551
05/03/07 09:31 AM
05/03/07 09:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Also, just to clarify, it sounds like you did the rear quarters and the roof all at the same time using the longer work time of the low-oder spirits. So you didn't have to worry about blending a previously completed quarter panel with a newly rolled c-piller section from the roof - Is that correct?

At this point - I think that you are only person on the thread that has rolled on a flat, IIRC. (There might have been one guy way back in the original thread, but that was a long time ago.)

Correct, the longer work time made blending no problem. I tried to stop at the natural line created by the edge of the top of the fender too, so that the roller blend would be on that line.

I agree that satin would be a fine base coat for black, so I say spend the 8 bucks for the Satin Rusololem, do a coat, and if you don't like it, just go on with the Gloss plans the rest of the thread laid out. Or do a test panel.

One thing I did learn, I did a touch up with a paint brush, it turned out Flatter than the rolled sections, so I rolled over it to get the same level of sheen. Also Rustoleum sells Semi-Gloss black spray cans, but I haven't seen Satin spray cans, so if you want to do some nook or cranny or something, you'll have to pick (probably go with the Flat).

heres a few more pics

Galvanized Bodies #27552
05/03/07 09:38 AM
05/03/07 09:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been following this for a while and am finally willing to take the plunge! I have a Chevy truck (I know... Mopar forum) with the peeling paint syndrome due to the galvanized body. I was re-reading some posts when I found that the oil-based paints are not compatible with galvanized steel!

The rustoleum site recommends painter's touch (water based). Anyone tried this and had luck? Anyone paint galvanized? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! I want a one-color truck again!

Re: Galvanized Bodies #27553
05/03/07 09:45 AM
05/03/07 09:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I've been following this for a while and am finally willing to take the plunge! I have a Chevy truck (I know... Mopar forum) with the peeling paint syndrome due to the galvanized body. I was re-reading some posts when I found that the oil-based paints are not compatible with galvanized steel!

The rustoleum site recommends painter's touch (water based). Anyone tried this and had luck? Anyone paint galvanized? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! I want a one-color truck again!

When I was at Ace the other day I saw that Rustoleum makes a special primer specifically for Galvanized Metal. Maybe if you covered your bare metal areas with this primer first you would have no problem with regular Rustoleum, guess you'd have to research this first though. Just figured I'd throw in my

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27554
05/03/07 10:20 AM
05/03/07 10:20 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Also Rustoleum sells Semi-Gloss black spray cans, but I haven't seen Satin spray cans, so if you want to do some nook or cranny or something, you'll have to pick (probably go with the Flat).

Funny you should mention that. I only saw satin spray in the Rustoleum "Painter's Touch Lacquer" line at Home Depot, but I happened to look at Rustoleum's web site earlier today and they do have Satin Black listed as a color for the standard enamel spray bomb line.

Although I was actually considering doing the "hard to reach" places like the doorjams and behind the bumpers, etc in spray Gloss, so if I moved to Gloss later I wouldn't have to remove as many major trim pieces.

I have to test that to see if its going to look weird or not......

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Gusteve] #27555
05/03/07 11:23 AM
05/03/07 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So is the ACE brand just re-labeled Rustoleum????

If so this is good news, they are the only place with gallons and quarts of Safety orange around here.

Re: Galvanized Bodies #27556
05/03/07 11:46 AM
05/03/07 11:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Called up Rustoleum tech support and they recommended just that - the 8781 aluminum primer.

Off to the store (after work). I'll be prepping tonight and tomorrow and will hopefully have a coat of primer on before the end of the day!

WOO HOO!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27557
05/03/07 12:55 PM
05/03/07 12:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So is the ACE brand just re-labeled Rustoleum????

If so this is good news, they are the only place with gallons and quarts of Safety orange around here.

I don't know, but the guy at Ace said it's basically the same stuff. There was another guy on here a while ago that said he was going to use the Ace paint but he has since disappeared
I was kinda bummed because I was looking forward to seeing how his turned out. I think he was gonna do a Ford truck with it.

Page 155 of 159 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 158 159