05/01/07 08:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

sanded my white primer with 220, then 400. Then rolled 2 coats of satin black rustoleum, thinned about 20% with low-odor mineral spirits. I experimented with Acetone (flashes too fast), and gloss black (doesnt get hard very fast).

The Satin has gotten VERY hard in just 2 days, and the roller marks are not very visible at all. If you have ever bought a Repo part, like a fender, the paint looks alot like that satin black primer that comes on repo parts.

The Satin covers very well, I actually think it looks better in person then in the photo. Saving my money for all new chrome. When I hit the lotto I'll get a shiny paint job.

Roll on!

Oh yea, and no wet sanding required. Woo hoo!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27519
05/01/07 09:33 AM
05/01/07 09:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Oh yea, and no wet sanding required. Woo hoo!

Wait wait, what? No wet sanding? Oh cause it's satin you're not looking for that glossy paint finish?

Hmm this is an interesting turn of events. What about care? Can you or rather SHOULD you wax the satin or what?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27520
05/01/07 01:15 PM
05/01/07 01:15 PM
wisconsin
1BAD68 Offline
super stock
1BAD68  Offline
super stock

wisconsin
I've been searching the web for flat paint maintenance/care and so far it looks like you just wash it like normal but no polish or wax to protect it, which is fine on a collector car because its not sitting outside all year and I wash mine every time I take it out, so I cant see it being a problem for at least a couple years.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: 1BAD68] #27521
05/01/07 04:44 PM
05/01/07 04:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I ended up having to go into Denver(340 miles round trip) yesterday for a doctor's appt. for my wife so I took the opportunity to visit Wal-Mart and Lowe's. I picked up a gallon of Gloss Black Professional Rustoleum and six spray bombs for the Jambs. At Lowe's I picked up some roller handles and a six pack of rollers. By shopping in Denver I ended up saving about $40 on what that stuff would have cost me out here in the sticks. I asked my local Carquest guy the get me some Meguier's products I read about on here but he's been dragging his feet. I went to Poorboy's World and saw that I can order products from them direct and pay via Paypal and their prices look pretty reasonable. I know a few of you guys have achieved awesome results with those products so I was wondering if someone could give me a list of which products they used and in what order. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27522
05/01/07 05:27 PM
05/01/07 05:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I ended up having to go into Denver(340 miles round trip) yesterday for a doctor's appt. for my wife so I took the opportunity to visit Wal-Mart and Lowe's. I picked up a gallon of Gloss Black Professional Rustoleum and six spray bombs for the Jambs. At Lowe's I picked up some roller handles and a six pack of rollers. By shopping in Denver I ended up saving about $40 on what that stuff would have cost me out here in the sticks. I asked my local Carquest guy the get me some Meguier's products I read about on here but he's been dragging his feet. I went to Poorboy's World and saw that I can order products from them direct and pay via Paypal and their prices look pretty reasonable. I know a few of you guys have achieved awesome results with those products so I was wondering if someone could give me a list of which products they used and in what order. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have achieved a near mirror finish just with the Poorboy's SSR2.5 If you want you could also use some SSR1 after that and then some EX-P sealant and your car should look great and the finish will last for months.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27523
05/01/07 05:45 PM
05/01/07 05:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have achieved a near mirror finish just with the Poorboy's SSR2.5 If you want you could also use some SSR1 after that and then some EX-P sealant and your car should look great and the finish will last for months.

Thanks Aussie and Good On Ya, Mate!!(BTW my Dad lived in Canberra for several years) Anyway, was that SSR2.5 after a wetsand with 2000 grit or did you polish a final smooth coat, as I recall you used brightside on your car though, so I may have to wetsand my Rusto first.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27524
05/01/07 06:42 PM
05/01/07 06:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That shot was taken after a dodgy 1500/2000 wetsand and the SSR2.5 with a cutting pad.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27525
05/01/07 06:50 PM
05/01/07 06:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That shot was taken after a dodgy 1500/2000 wetsand and the SSR2.5 with a cutting pad.

Was that the first job with the "rusto paint" or was that with Brightside? And excuse my ignorance but what does a cutting pad look like? I know the polishing pads are foam and the buffing pads are wool.

Either way that shine is Amazing!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27526
05/01/07 06:54 PM
05/01/07 06:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just wanted to add my 0.02 here..
The post is so long that some of these points may have been covered, but bear with me please…
I’ve got a ’68 Newport 2dr Hardtop. It was a grisly dark green, but was/is solid. I fancied a satin blue finish, and decided on PPG’s Hot Rod Flatz paint.

I did all the bodywork – some metal, some spot putty, and some very minor Bondo.

As I went along, I prepped and rattle-canned the repaired areas with any grey primer. Sometimes Tremclad, sometimes Rustoleum, and sometimes Dupli-Color. I wasn’t worried about the mixtures, as they were just to cover bare metal. Anyway, after reading about this roller method, I decided that it might not be such an issue after all, and I figured I’d just shoot sealer over the top, before my Flatz paint.

Anyway, long story short – the Hot Rod Flatz paint proved difficult to get up here in BC, and when I costed it all out, I was into around $800 + for materials.
So, I stopped by Home Depot, took a deep breath and bought a gallon of Tremclad Flat white, a quart of Tremclad Gloss dark blue, and a gallon of mineral spirits. Total cost - $63 Canadian…
With such an outlay, I reasoned I could live with the cost if it didn’t work.

Anyway, I mixed the cans together and got a beautiful sky blue….thinned it by 25%, put it in my gun, and started under the trunk lid. Half hour later, the whole car was coated.

Next day it had dried spotty (first coat), but a nice flat finish.

I tested various wetsand grades on a fender skirt – 600 was scratchy of course. 1000 was better. 1500 was good, and then 2000 and a polish made it way too glossy. In fact, at that point it was just a gloss finish.

So, another coat went on. And the next day another. And the next day another. I’d lost the patches after the 3rd coat, and it was a uniform finish.

Between each coat (this was all done in my garage, with the door open) I wetsanded with 600 to take off any sags (very few actually…), and now it sits with its final, flat coat on. No orange peel. No sags, no runs…just a nice, flat blue finish. Exactly what I’d have got with the PPG paint, but at less than a tenth of the cost.

Additionally, I was astonished during the painting process a number of times – once I touched the bottom of the gun on the wet hood, and the stuff really does self-level. Within a minute, the dig had flattened itself. I also had a run on a door which I wiped off with my finger mid-spray, and again – it disappeared before the coat dried.

It has dried rock hard and smooth, and has stuck to everything I wanted it to.
Even chrome. I had some dings on the bumpers, so I scuffed them, hammered and filled them, masked off the bits I wanted to remain chrome, and then Tremclad primed and painted them. Again – rock hard, and full adhesion.

I got a few dust nibs on the paint of course, and these just knocked off with some 1500 grit.

So answering some of the questions I’ve read here :
You definitely CAN spray it.
You definitely CAN custom-mix it
You can use flat or gloss finish – and can mix flat and gloss in the same can
It adheres to chrome
It adheres to plastic
It adheres to any finish (Dupli-Color, OEM scuffed paint, Rustoleum, bare metal, Bondo, etc)
It is NOT soft
It can be sanded as easy as any other paint
It thins with mineral spirits (cheaper and kinder to the air)
It dries hard in a day
I painted a full-size C-body and used about 2/3 of a gallon (bear in mind I didn’t paint the roof – that was, and still is white) and that includes doorjambs, and under the hood & trunk.

I’ve used lacquers in the past – they’re no better, but they are smellier. I’ve used 2 stage urethanes – they’re no better – just more effort.

OK, I sprayed instead of rolling, but the point is that the paint works. But then, why wouldn’t it? Forget it’s not a fancy auto paint – all paint is just pigment and solvent….

If I can work out a way to post pictures, I’ll post them (I’ve gotta get all the trim and stuff back on yet), but if you are thinking of painting and you can get the color you want from the Tremclad range mixed or not – do it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #27527
05/01/07 07:24 PM
05/01/07 07:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was linked this thread because I'm in the market for a paint job for my '87 Camaro, and I need to say I'm impressed with the results of this, I was up all night looking at the 200someodd pages on this and I havent seen many people using black, my camaro is black and I really want to give it a fresh paint job, I know black is a hard color to do but if I prepped good it should go fine. Dose anyone have any tips on using black? (im going with rustoleum not brightside)

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3124/02mz9.jpg
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/3871/03cf4.jpg
^my project

also I was thinking, what do you guys think of gloss black finish and matte black ground effects ex: http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7716/02mz9rr1.jpg

Thanks for possibly saving me a few $1000 on a decent paint job guys

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27528
05/01/07 08:13 PM
05/01/07 08:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the compliment. That paint was the Brightside but there is no reason why the Rustoleum can't polish up just as well.

Here is a bit of info on the pads that I use. About half way down the page they describe the cutting pad and the light cutting pad. From my experience these buffing pads are brilliant.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27529
05/01/07 09:21 PM
05/01/07 09:21 PM
pa
R
ramman16248 Offline
mopar
ramman16248  Offline
mopar
R

pa
Just a tip........Don't use masking tape to mask off the car!!!!!!! I used it like a retard and now 3 weeks later, the tape has become one with the moldings. Use the blue tape , it will be much better. I was all fired up over the final coat being done, and then the tape problem deflated my bubble. Oh well, I will get a few more rags, razor blades, and goo-b-gone.
I will post pistures by the way, it just got too dark to do it. I am amazed at the outcome. I can't wait for 2 weeks to go by and do the final wetsand and buff. (it will take me half of that time to get the old masking tape off. LOL)

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: ramman16248] #27530
05/01/07 09:56 PM
05/01/07 09:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
Wipe the tape with a rag soaked in paint thinner.
Once the end lifts, pull the tape while wiping the adhesive with the rag. Worked well on my two tone work.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27531
05/01/07 10:48 PM
05/01/07 10:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment. That paint was the Brightside but there is no reason why the Rustoleum can't polish up just as well.

Here is a bit of info on the pads that I use. About half way down the page they describe the cutting pad and the light cutting pad. From my experience these buffing pads are brilliant.

is there anything like these foam pads out there for a regular cheap buffer? like as a bonnet? all i can find are microfiber, wool, terry, and the blue wax applicator

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: 78D150CLUB] #27532
05/01/07 10:57 PM
05/01/07 10:57 PM
pa
R
ramman16248 Offline
mopar
ramman16248  Offline
mopar
R

pa
Quote:

Wipe the tape with a rag soaked in paint thinner.
Once the end lifts, pull the tape while wiping the adhesive with the rag. Worked well on my two tone work.

Ok, Thanks, I'll give it a try!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: ramman16248] #27533
05/01/07 11:25 PM
05/01/07 11:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey guys just thought id tell u about my rattle can experiment

so i got sidetracked for a few mins today lol.. i recently bought a car that has a spray painted front end on it.. the car is black and the fenders and stuff were replaced and just sprayed black (aerosol).. real CRAP job too.. the paint was not glossy at all.. so i decided to test it.. hit an area with a quick 1500 and 2000 wetsand, then buffed with turtle wax polishing compound, then some swirl remover.. results were AMAZING. came out to a mirror finish. i have no clue what kind of paint it was or what brand, but it was black and looked like crap at first. from that i definetly think a great job can be done by rattle can. i painted a car flat black before, and i still get comments to this day about how good it came out, so i think i may try it out. just puttin this out there cuz i dunno if anyone had tried the rattle can method with full polishing

Last edited by JDM96specCTR; 05/01/07 11:25 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27534
05/01/07 11:43 PM
05/01/07 11:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

is there anything like these foam pads out there for a regular cheap buffer? like as a bonnet? all i can find are microfiber, wool, terry, and the blue wax applicator

I bought one of these at my local Ace Hardware it was inexpensive and actually comes with a foam polishing pad so I figured I'd try it out. I haven't used it yet but it looked like a better unit than some of those 10" flying saucers I've seen. Right now I can't afford a 7424 and if this one doesnt work I can always borrow a rotary from work if needed.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/tur...4a62535095c245d

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27535
05/02/07 05:32 AM
05/02/07 05:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can anyone show me what type of polisher I should buy?

What about this krauss polisher on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.es/KRAUSS-SZ-81803-Polie...1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27536
05/02/07 09:47 AM
05/02/07 09:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Can anyone show me what type of polisher I should buy?

What about this krauss polisher on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.es/KRAUSS-SZ-81803-Polie...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure how much that is in Dollars but here in the states Harbor Freight sells a Chicago Electric model that looks exactly like that for $49.99(American)Like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27537
05/02/07 09:56 AM
05/02/07 09:56 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
Quote:

The Satin has gotten VERY hard in just 2 days, and the roller marks are not very visible at all. If you have ever bought a Repo part, like a fender, the paint looks alot like that satin black primer that comes on repo parts.

Roll on!

Do you think if you had wetsanded a coat and tried again that you could have eliminated the roller marks?

I had just bought cans of rustoleum satin and rustoleum flat black last weekend and I was going to experiment between the two shades, but your satin looks good so maybe I don't need to even try the flat.

Also - how did you handle the large section of the rear quarters and the roof? I expect everyone has the same issue - that's a huge section to do all at one time. Do people do the quarters individually, and then the roof and try to blend it in somehow on the C-piller / sail panel? Or is it done as one giant section?

I'm curious how you did it since the method for blending the Satin, which does not require sanding, might be different from the guys that are using gloss.

BTW - nice car. '69 was the BEST year for 'stangs.

Page 154 of 159 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 158 159