03/21/20 01:53 PM
03/21/20 01:53 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Ive always lived within my means, so this deal really wont impact me at all. If ya live like your semi poor all the time and stash cash there is only done direction to look at any given time and thats up.

I live well, older cars, no credit cards, and I have been stocking up on alot of NOS parts when I can get the deals I will slack off unless its an items I really really need.

If this lasts I think we might see some of these sky high nos guys slack up a bit OR unfortunately maybe there estate will liquidate them even cheaper.

Ive never wished for a economic downturn for my own selfish reasons but since it has happened I hope to acquire some needed things at a semi realistic fair price.

Although its very hard for me to sympathize with the ones who have burdened themselves with large house payments, 3 leased vehicles, ect. Never has there been a generation that has gone without a war or huge disaster.

My local car dealer is offering 1k and they will bring you a new car, 7 months no payments, 0% for 84 months, either way as a tax payer im gonna be paying for this deal.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2754239
03/21/20 04:07 PM
03/21/20 04:07 PM
Buckeye Lake
56_Royal_Lancer Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II
56_Royal_Lancer  Offline
My Mouth Is Shut II

Buckeye Lake
Wasn't really in the market for anything special before this current reality, so probably not going to be tempted by any deals out there. HOWEVER I just checked into refinance rates on the home I live in and a rental I own. The rates are so low at this time that if I were to refinance both I could buy a new Redeye and never feel the hit!
Yes, I am doing the paperwork now (on the refi, not the Redeye).

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: 56_Royal_Lancer] #2754242
03/21/20 04:10 PM
03/21/20 04:10 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Just returned from a two hr road trip to pick up a nice canoe w paddles for wife and I. Figured we may as well keep in good cardio shape and maintain a fair amount of marital distancing.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: srt] #2754243
03/21/20 04:13 PM
03/21/20 04:13 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I spent two hours this morning effectively giving my ( non car part) stuff away to a friend down from Tenn.

He got a good deal, his trailer was full, and he deserves it.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: 56_Royal_Lancer] #2754251
03/21/20 04:25 PM
03/21/20 04:25 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville

The rates are so low at this time that if I were to refinance both I could buy a new Redeye and never feel the hit!

Now thats making the lemonade!

Originally Posted by 56_Royal_Lancer
Wasn't really in the market for anything special before this current reality, so probably not going to be tempted by any deals out there. HOWEVER I just checked into refinance rates on the home I live in and a rental I own. The rates are so low at this time that if I were to refinance both I could buy a new Redeye and never feel the hit!
Yes, I am doing the paperwork now (on the refi, not the Redeye).

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: AeroMonte] #2754259
03/21/20 04:36 PM
03/21/20 04:36 PM
HellsGate
outcast Offline
super stock
outcast  Offline
super stock

HellsGate
retired so i watch how i spend so if i don,t need it can wait until things get better.. The 420 cid bracket 69 dart well be there So everyone be safe stay healthy things well turn around.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: outcast] #2754313
03/21/20 08:14 PM
03/21/20 08:14 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
The canoe was the immediate small change type thing.
With the state of things in realty loans (daughter just signed note at 2.75% interest) we're planning to sell off some vehicles and other rolling stock, probably a few items with fair value and position ourselves to pick up another property that we can downsize to when we want.
With interest rates so low we are considering building a second home (we're zoned for it) should this downturn get contractors back into realistic price per sq ft..

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: srt] #2754325
03/21/20 09:01 PM
03/21/20 09:01 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Been looking for a larger (10-15,000ft) industrial building for a couple years now but the prices are 5X what I paid per sqft during the last downturn. Everyone thinks their building isd worth a fortune now that you can grw pot in them (I just dont understand how so many people think thats such a good idea) I watched the 5000ft building I'm in go from $250k down to $100k during the last recession when I bought it. Looking for the same kinda deal this time. There's a 15,000ft building within 10 minutes of my house. The closest industrial park for miles. Seller wants $895k. I'd pay half that.

At 57 the one thing I've learned (now on the 4th recession in my lifetime; 1981, 1987, 2000, 2008) is the world doesn't come to an end. After the last downturn we learned to live VERY, VERY MUCH (did I say VERY) within our means. We scrambled to pay off EVERYTHING as fast as possible (took years) during this last great bull run. When I was younger I would have panicked if I didn't see a weekly paycheck. Now, sometimes, I forget to pay myself for a couple months. I don't make a lot of money, don't drive a Ferrari or wear fancy clothes but feel incredibly lucky to live relatively modest in this great country.

Looks like many guys are taking advantage of being able to work on their cars instead of eating out or going to movies. I'd do the same if I wasn't so damn busy.

Good luck to us all. One thing I may have to buy is a bidet of I can't find any darn Scotts toilet paper. This is CRAZY.

PS I was looking to get a used 2019 Ram (sorry, as much as I'd like to help the economy I'll let someone else drive it for a year and take a 20% hit for me). That's on the back burner till I see light at the end of the tunnel. My 28yo son is a car salesman. He thinks cause he sells Vettes that he's ok. Told him I wouldn't bet on it. Now GM STOPPED MAKING 2020 Vettes and his dealer is looking to close for a while. Thats gonna be a tough lesson to learn.

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: srt] #2754330
03/21/20 09:17 PM
03/21/20 09:17 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I cant refi right now, would like to.... talked to bank and I have my 1/2 bathroom apart and shut the door, kinda forgot about it.... gotta finish that up before they will talk to me.... no kids in the house, so ambition hasn't been there. a shutdown at work and being stuck here might be what it takes to kick start that
My job has been deemed "essential" so it's "business as usual" at work except they cut my OT..... unless this $#!T somehow hits the fan for us.... I work for the State as a fleet mechanic, worried about the local parts sources being able to stay open (or not)

at home, last nite after work I pulled the trans out of my 99 Dakota to fix what started off as a "hiccup" in 2nd, just before it hits 3rd, now major slippage at the top of 2nd, basically a big neutral flare... the 1st couple times thru the gears when stone cold..... now does it after sitting from getting there when I go to lunch, and again when I leave to come home.....
want to go thru the hill-billy'd wiring on my 85 D150 that I recently bought (like a month ago), have yet to hear it run since getting it home. I did get me an exhaust manifold and installed on its slant 6, and have since found a Super 6 setup for it... that will go in IF it runs as it was claimed to when I bought it.... I also tripped on a 70s forged crank Slant 2 weekends ago, that I'd like to build up and experiment with as a turbo motor.... I wasn't looking, this one found me.... no hurry on that one, will buy parts as they find me, for what I want to pay.... not what everyone and their brother wants to charge.

also want to add the aux Autometer gauges on the Durango, check out its brakes (I know as of yesterday I have a bad rear wheel cylinder..... at 262K miles, not surprising)
and put the exhaust that was 2 months old when I gave up the 92 Dakota, onto my '96, its original muffler is dying.
I "should" clean up the disaster area of a garage, too. but ambition to clean it is almost never there... its more fun to work out there.....
and then there's a few garden tractors to play with, and the valve grinder that I got from my son's buddy that "found me" to get cleaned up, lubed up and working again.... got it back functional at least..so far.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: volaredon] #2754399
03/22/20 05:29 AM
03/22/20 05:29 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Seems i'm in the opposite boat/mindset as many here. SINCE things got serious, i have made more money selling stuff than i made all last year. Mind you, much ov that was gym equipment, and gyms are closing here, but some car parts as well. I'm hoping since the market is going to dry up HARD here (everything we sell comes from the South side ov a closed border), that people start thinking more budget, maybe think more hotrodder... and buy more used parts. Nothing but time on people's hands now, and the stores might close too... and so the used market might just respond...

Luckily i'm in a less than dire financial position, for once. Just wish i had a car to work on.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2754436
03/22/20 09:32 AM
03/22/20 09:32 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Ive always lived within my means, so this deal really wont impact me at all. If ya live like your semi poor all the time and stash cash there is only done direction to look at any given time and thats up.

My father was born in the early 20s which means he had pretty solid memories of living through the great depression of the 30s - in a family with 8 kids. Didn't share a lot of detail with me but I do recall him saying that the best way to get a meal was to go take it away from somebody else. That generation spent their life adhering to "never gonna happen to me again" and many were pretty tight with their money.

Being raised around that mentality is a mixed bag. On the serious downside is being just too damn tight with my money - to the point of not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I could have. On the major upside, I'm pretty well positioned to ride out anything short of a zombie apocalypse or nuclear armageddon.

Instant gratification vs long term peace of mind. You can have one or the other.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: fastmark] #2754774
03/22/20 09:42 PM
03/22/20 09:42 PM
New Jersey
Moparnutcase Offline
mopar
Moparnutcase  Offline
mopar

New Jersey
I am lucky and VERY thankful that I get paid whether at work or forced to stay home due to the virus. Our crew is split into two and will rotate 3 day/2 day work weeks at 6 hrs. per day and get full pay. We did receive an email tonight that things MAY change....hoping for no work. Plus I still have my own electrical contracting business that I keep going besides my full time job. I'm looking to buy a sweet '20 Laramie in Delaware but they are shutting dealers down come Tuesday morning. NJ dealers are already shut down. I'll see how things go after the panic is over....maybe even better deals to be had.

1977 Chrysler Cordoba 400-4brl,T-tops,triple blue,one family owned until my purchase,under 11,300 miles as of 10/20/2016
2012 Dodge Durango Crew AWD (wifey)
2020 Ram Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (daughter)
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: Pale_Roader] #2754805
03/22/20 10:55 PM
03/22/20 10:55 PM
San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
1968RR Offline
top fuel
1968RR  Offline
top fuel

San Angelo, Texas, U.S.A.
Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

Seems i'm in the opposite boat/mindset as many here. SINCE things got serious, i have made more money selling stuff than i made all last year. Mind you, much ov that was gym equipment, and gyms are closing here, but some car parts as well. I'm hoping since the market is going to dry up HARD here (everything we sell comes from the South side ov a closed border), that people start thinking more budget, maybe think more hotrodder... and buy more used parts. Nothing but time on people's hands now, and the stores might close too... and so the used market might just respond...

Luckily i'm in a less than dire financial position, for once. Just wish i had a car to work on.

The border isn't closed to commercial traffic, so parts that are made in Mexico shouldn't start to disappear anytime soon, I wouldn't think. Although it is closed to non-essential travel, you can still cross over if you claim that you're crossing to do some shopping (which is technically commerce, I guess).

"When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me." - Mookie Wilson
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: 1968RR] #2754821
03/22/20 11:25 PM
03/22/20 11:25 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by 1968RR
Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

The border isn't closed to commercial traffic, so parts that are made in Mexico shouldn't start to disappear anytime soon, I wouldn't think. Although it is closed to non-essential travel, you can still cross over if you claim that you're crossing to do some shopping (which is technically commerce, I guess).

Not anymore. There is a massive lot ov people here who shop in the States, and they just shut that down. No more daytrips to Trader Joes. No more buying gas in Sumas. So 'commercial' means truckloads ov food, essentials basically. Where my issue sits is right in the middle ov the gray area. I'll find out tomorrow.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: ] #2754822
03/22/20 11:27 PM
03/22/20 11:27 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted by RWG75
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead

My father was born in the early 20s which means he had pretty solid memories of living through the great depression of the 30s - in a family with 8 kids. Didn't share a lot of detail with me but I do recall him saying that the best way to get a meal was to go take it away from somebody else. That generation spent their life adhering to "never gonna happen to me again" and many were pretty tight with their money.

Being raised around that mentality is a mixed bag. On the serious downside is being just too damn tight with my money - to the point of not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I could have. On the major upside, I'm pretty well positioned to ride out anything short of a zombie apocalypse or nuclear armageddon.

Instant gratification vs long term peace of mind. You can have one or the other.

You might be rewarded (heh... ov sorts) for that mindset. There are a few very intelligent people throwing that word around these days... 'depression'...

I can see it.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: Pale_Roader] #2754862
03/23/20 07:46 AM
03/23/20 07:46 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
business as usual here. i'm essential personnel and th wife can work from home so the regular pay checks are coming in...

i'm thinking in the near future there will be some pretty decent deals out there. doubt i'll buy one though. think i'm done buying old mopar stuff.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: abodyjoe] #2754878
03/23/20 08:36 AM
03/23/20 08:36 AM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
What amazes me is everyone that thinks they are ok... teachers, insurance people, police, government, city workers, hospitals, they cut our service's, and think the unemployed will just keep writing the checks and paying them...Reality will be a bitter pill for them for sure if this lasts very long. They mandate close your business, but pay those taxes, no evictions, but pay the taxes, with what? Are they stupid?

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: 4406bbl] #2754886
03/23/20 08:57 AM
03/23/20 08:57 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I know what you mean, they want some people to absorb things they cant really do.

They say some of the handout money has a cut off, income cap, sad to say I see some of the ones in a bad bad spot are making big money but are severely in debt.

I have four bills an month for the basics, I will continue to pay them without issue because im still using power, driving my car, ect and I think everyone who does owe and can pay things should, right or wrong, crash or not the businesses/companies need there money to keep going and pay there workers.

I wonder what the auto industry is going to get and how it plays into the appearance that GM and others are really dumping inventory.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: fastmark] #2754901
03/23/20 09:27 AM
03/23/20 09:27 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Time to buy a large (3000-5000 gallon) gasoline tank to take advantage of the temporary dip in retail prices, kind of like the propane seasonal strategy.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? [Re: 360view] #2754903
03/23/20 09:32 AM
03/23/20 09:32 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I can hold 1000 diesel and 500 gasoline inground, I bought some about 10 days ago, probably fill things up while I can.

But I can use all the diesel before the growing season is over.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4