Moparts

Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now?

Posted By: fastmark

Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 10:55 AM

Considering the current events, hows everyone spending their money? Regardless how this Chinese flu works out, the markets have taken a big hit. Unless we wake up and realize we can’t just shut the world down for a month( or three) This will get even worse. The US government can’t support the whole world. So how are you spending your disposable income? I’m glad I sold a few cars and have some cash. A friend of mine has found a whole barn full of cars for sale from an estate. He wants to go halves and buy it all. My response to him was “ only if the trunks were full of beans and rice”. I’ve got enough investments at risk right now.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 11:12 AM

All non-essential spending has stopped at this house, due to the Corona virus.

We were just puppies through the 2008 recession, this one will be like 9-11 and 2008 combined. It's going to hurt.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda

We were just puppies through the 2008 recession, this one will be like 9-1-1 and 2008 combined. It's going to hurt.

same here. no unnecessary spending by me also.

and i agree it's the CORONA virus.

i am trying to buy my dinner from local restaurants when i can.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fastmark
A friend of mine has found a whole barn full of cars for sale from an estate. He wants to go halves and buy it all.

That never happens at a good time for me. Not at the hoardin money stage yet. If there's something i can get done on my enforced vacation then I am.
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 12:01 PM

My son was just about to put a $35,000 C10 on the market when this thing blew up. He has pulled back. I am financially ok for day to day but there is no way I am going to be putting out any money on big expenditures. Right now might be the time to buy some stuff cheap but I’m not built that way.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 12:50 PM

No change in spending but I am pretty conservative with money. I know what its like to be hungry so I made sure that would never happen. I am also lucky that my work is actually really busy at the moment.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dfsmopars
Right now might be the time to buy some stuff cheap but I’m not built that way.

I sometimes wish I was.

Back in 2008 my bank had a Wachovia sign on it. Was in rolling over a CD and an employee shares their panic with me and mentions how their stock had crashed to $1 / share. Walked out of the place thinking I should buy 10,000 shares. Have never been a gambler so I didn't. A couple year later Wells Fargo bought them for $17 / share.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 12:58 PM

We don't have any debts and have a decent amount of liquidity so there are a few things I have my eye out for that may come along at a bargain.

For those that can, this situation will produce some unique opportunities.
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 01:46 PM

I work for a company that supplies medical oxygen to VA patients. I'm pretty secure with the job situation so I look for bargains every day. There will be many to be had soon. Maybe I can finally upgrade to something I want that was out of reach before. The bottom end cars will get real cheap and scrap prices will drop hard too in my opinion.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 02:00 PM

Looks like I have to cancel my swap meet set for April 5th as Illinoise is shut down to at least April 7th according to the clown in charge. This will really put a huge dent in my money flow, and since nobody seems to be buying anyway, guess I have to go get a job. I know, good luck with that! frown
Posted By: topside

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 02:44 PM

The buying mood will almost certainly be non-existent among the general public, especially those who feel they're in a precarious position.
(Capt. Obvious, in da house !)
But like any other market, others see it's time to buy and enjoy the bounce-back later.
Buddy of mine is salivating over Boeing & Ford stock, for example. Same guy is a Midas with commercial property.
A couple interest-based investments of mine are doing nothing now, one (stock-based) lost 20%.
I've already seen a couple good deals on cars, and am strongly tempted to grab one, using some of that idle money..
Posted By: moparx

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 03:38 PM

i need several parts to put my charger back on the road, and lots of items for my multi-decade humpback panel project.
as i have a dedicated, albeit small, budget set up for this, i will be looking for deals.
as there are no swaps to go to, it looks like this will be an on line search for quite a while.
stay safe out there !
beer
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
We don't have any debts and have a decent amount of liquidity so there are a few things I have my eye out for that may come along at a bargain.

For those that can, this situation will produce some unique opportunities.

I agree.

I am in the market for a 340 4 speed Cuda, if I find one I will buy it now.
I do have my 6 Barrel RR for sale and would prefer to move that before I purchase another car, but if the right car at the right price comes along I will buy it.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 03:39 PM

Ive tried to be reasonably conservative with spending anyway And for the most part that will not change . But the wife and I usually buy want we want, when we want it ( makes it hard at christmas time for the family )

That said, Im trying to remain calm, avoid any crazy purchases no matter the amount.
Actually going out today to pick up some supplies for projects around the house , life goes on for us
Both mine and the wife's jobs both feels pretty secure . My youngest daughter works at a local coffee chain / drive thru stand and she said they are slammed, all day - everyday. Oldest daughter is in school , but hasn't been able to find a part time job to save her [censored]. Luckily we are able to help her with her bills

The economic impact from this is going to be huge and we are still a long way from the bottom IMO

That said I still plan to purchase an old car, and have committed to one car ( and its not cheap ) just have moved that off till late summer after the brunt of this dies down and the country / world regains some kind of common sense.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 03:44 PM

Since I will be stuck at home for a while, been online buying a few parts for my daily drivers that I have been putting off doing. Might as well accomplish something while not at work.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 04:23 PM

We've limited some spending since I retired in '17, but I'm still getting a few things for the Barracuda. I do have some patch panels on order for it. Might be a great time to buy sheet metal. Who knows what the trade situation will be like when the dust settles. We don't have a lot of money set aside, but we should be fine.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 04:25 PM

I have been playing at investing in the market on MaketWatch for the last couple years. In the game I finish mid Feb I make a 90% gain so I figured I might be ready to actually put in real money.

Then the bottom fell out and I reevaluated, decided to pay off my debts. $20k later I am clear of everything but the house. I figure that I'd rather not have any unnecessary bills than lose money in a market I am not equipped to win in, no one really is though.

As far as my spending, I am planning taking one of these

[Linked Image]

Adding some of these

[Linked Image]

Using this

[Linked Image]

On the 218 flathead in my 51 Plymouth

Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 04:49 PM

After considering how the supply line is being affected, a couple weeks ago I bought parts from Rock Auto to do the front brakes on my ‘14 Dart as I know it’s gotta be close to time. I didn’t want to go to do it in May and find them back ordered! And when I parked my late model Challenger for winter last fall, I could tell it’s 10 year old battery was on its last legs, so bought and installed a new battery.
I usually put the insurance back on it around now, but given the current situation working from home for my job, and grounded for my side work, I don’t know when I’ll start driving it again.
I forgot the wise adage about catching a falling knife and bought a couple high quality defensive stocks last week just to see them fall over 10% more within days.
I have wanted to buy a used pickup and there might be bargains soon, and I am planning to get repro polyglas tires for my convertible, but for now I think I’ll hang tight to see if my job and the US economy survives!
I sold a mutual fund last fall and used the money to pay off my mortgage, so now I have no debt. At least I’ve got that going for me in a very trying time.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 05:21 PM

We were just puppies through the 2008 recession, this one will be like 9-11 and 2008 combined. It's going to hurt.

DITTO .......... whiney
Posted By: fal3

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 05:38 PM

I'm in good/bad shape. Good: I'm a high school teacher; steady paycheck till August 15. Bad: this is my retirement year; retirement pay begins August 30; IDK what long term affects corona will have on economy; keep hearing depression will hit (?). Bad: Mrs. works for an auto transport company; auto plants are taking 2 weeks off; she figures her company has 3-4 wks of deliveries in the pipeline; after that...??? Toying with the idea of buying airline, cruise line stocks. They are falling, and after a few years might be worth something.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 05:53 PM

Ive always lived within my means, so this deal really wont impact me at all. If ya live like your semi poor all the time and stash cash there is only done direction to look at any given time and thats up.

I live well, older cars, no credit cards, and I have been stocking up on alot of NOS parts when I can get the deals I will slack off unless its an items I really really need.

If this lasts I think we might see some of these sky high nos guys slack up a bit OR unfortunately maybe there estate will liquidate them even cheaper.

Ive never wished for a economic downturn for my own selfish reasons but since it has happened I hope to acquire some needed things at a semi realistic fair price.

Although its very hard for me to sympathize with the ones who have burdened themselves with large house payments, 3 leased vehicles, ect. Never has there been a generation that has gone without a war or huge disaster.

My local car dealer is offering 1k and they will bring you a new car, 7 months no payments, 0% for 84 months, either way as a tax payer im gonna be paying for this deal.
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 08:07 PM

Wasn't really in the market for anything special before this current reality, so probably not going to be tempted by any deals out there. HOWEVER I just checked into refinance rates on the home I live in and a rental I own. The rates are so low at this time that if I were to refinance both I could buy a new Redeye and never feel the hit!
Yes, I am doing the paperwork now (on the refi, not the Redeye).
Posted By: srt

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 08:10 PM

Just returned from a two hr road trip to pick up a nice canoe w paddles for wife and I. Figured we may as well keep in good cardio shape and maintain a fair amount of marital distancing.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 08:13 PM

I spent two hours this morning effectively giving my ( non car part) stuff away to a friend down from Tenn.

He got a good deal, his trailer was full, and he deserves it.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 08:25 PM

The rates are so low at this time that if I were to refinance both I could buy a new Redeye and never feel the hit!

Now thats making the lemonade!

Originally Posted by 56_Royal_Lancer
Wasn't really in the market for anything special before this current reality, so probably not going to be tempted by any deals out there. HOWEVER I just checked into refinance rates on the home I live in and a rental I own. The rates are so low at this time that if I were to refinance both I could buy a new Redeye and never feel the hit!
Yes, I am doing the paperwork now (on the refi, not the Redeye).
Posted By: outcast

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/21/20 08:36 PM

retired so i watch how i spend so if i don,t need it can wait until things get better.. The 420 cid bracket 69 dart well be there So everyone be safe stay healthy things well turn around.
Posted By: srt

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/22/20 12:14 AM

The canoe was the immediate small change type thing.
With the state of things in realty loans (daughter just signed note at 2.75% interest) we're planning to sell off some vehicles and other rolling stock, probably a few items with fair value and position ourselves to pick up another property that we can downsize to when we want.
With interest rates so low we are considering building a second home (we're zoned for it) should this downturn get contractors back into realistic price per sq ft..
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/22/20 01:01 AM

Been looking for a larger (10-15,000ft) industrial building for a couple years now but the prices are 5X what I paid per sqft during the last downturn. Everyone thinks their building isd worth a fortune now that you can grw pot in them (I just dont understand how so many people think thats such a good idea) I watched the 5000ft building I'm in go from $250k down to $100k during the last recession when I bought it. Looking for the same kinda deal this time. There's a 15,000ft building within 10 minutes of my house. The closest industrial park for miles. Seller wants $895k. I'd pay half that.

At 57 the one thing I've learned (now on the 4th recession in my lifetime; 1981, 1987, 2000, 2008) is the world doesn't come to an end. After the last downturn we learned to live VERY, VERY MUCH (did I say VERY) within our means. We scrambled to pay off EVERYTHING as fast as possible (took years) during this last great bull run. When I was younger I would have panicked if I didn't see a weekly paycheck. Now, sometimes, I forget to pay myself for a couple months. I don't make a lot of money, don't drive a Ferrari or wear fancy clothes but feel incredibly lucky to live relatively modest in this great country.

Looks like many guys are taking advantage of being able to work on their cars instead of eating out or going to movies. I'd do the same if I wasn't so damn busy.

Good luck to us all. One thing I may have to buy is a bidet of I can't find any darn Scotts toilet paper. This is CRAZY.

PS I was looking to get a used 2019 Ram (sorry, as much as I'd like to help the economy I'll let someone else drive it for a year and take a 20% hit for me). That's on the back burner till I see light at the end of the tunnel. My 28yo son is a car salesman. He thinks cause he sells Vettes that he's ok. Told him I wouldn't bet on it. Now GM STOPPED MAKING 2020 Vettes and his dealer is looking to close for a while. Thats gonna be a tough lesson to learn.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/22/20 01:17 AM

I cant refi right now, would like to.... talked to bank and I have my 1/2 bathroom apart and shut the door, kinda forgot about it.... gotta finish that up before they will talk to me.... no kids in the house, so ambition hasn't been there. a shutdown at work and being stuck here might be what it takes to kick start that
My job has been deemed "essential" so it's "business as usual" at work except they cut my OT..... unless this $#!T somehow hits the fan for us.... I work for the State as a fleet mechanic, worried about the local parts sources being able to stay open (or not)

at home, last nite after work I pulled the trans out of my 99 Dakota to fix what started off as a "hiccup" in 2nd, just before it hits 3rd, now major slippage at the top of 2nd, basically a big neutral flare... the 1st couple times thru the gears when stone cold..... now does it after sitting from getting there when I go to lunch, and again when I leave to come home.....
want to go thru the hill-billy'd wiring on my 85 D150 that I recently bought (like a month ago), have yet to hear it run since getting it home. I did get me an exhaust manifold and installed on its slant 6, and have since found a Super 6 setup for it... that will go in IF it runs as it was claimed to when I bought it.... I also tripped on a 70s forged crank Slant 2 weekends ago, that I'd like to build up and experiment with as a turbo motor.... I wasn't looking, this one found me.... no hurry on that one, will buy parts as they find me, for what I want to pay.... not what everyone and their brother wants to charge.

also want to add the aux Autometer gauges on the Durango, check out its brakes (I know as of yesterday I have a bad rear wheel cylinder..... at 262K miles, not surprising)
and put the exhaust that was 2 months old when I gave up the 92 Dakota, onto my '96, its original muffler is dying.
I "should" clean up the disaster area of a garage, too. but ambition to clean it is almost never there... its more fun to work out there.....
and then there's a few garden tractors to play with, and the valve grinder that I got from my son's buddy that "found me" to get cleaned up, lubed up and working again.... got it back functional at least..so far.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/22/20 09:29 AM

Seems i'm in the opposite boat/mindset as many here. SINCE things got serious, i have made more money selling stuff than i made all last year. Mind you, much ov that was gym equipment, and gyms are closing here, but some car parts as well. I'm hoping since the market is going to dry up HARD here (everything we sell comes from the South side ov a closed border), that people start thinking more budget, maybe think more hotrodder... and buy more used parts. Nothing but time on people's hands now, and the stores might close too... and so the used market might just respond...

Luckily i'm in a less than dire financial position, for once. Just wish i had a car to work on.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/22/20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Ive always lived within my means, so this deal really wont impact me at all. If ya live like your semi poor all the time and stash cash there is only done direction to look at any given time and thats up.

My father was born in the early 20s which means he had pretty solid memories of living through the great depression of the 30s - in a family with 8 kids. Didn't share a lot of detail with me but I do recall him saying that the best way to get a meal was to go take it away from somebody else. That generation spent their life adhering to "never gonna happen to me again" and many were pretty tight with their money.

Being raised around that mentality is a mixed bag. On the serious downside is being just too damn tight with my money - to the point of not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I could have. On the major upside, I'm pretty well positioned to ride out anything short of a zombie apocalypse or nuclear armageddon.

Instant gratification vs long term peace of mind. You can have one or the other.
Posted By: Moparnutcase

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 01:42 AM

I am lucky and VERY thankful that I get paid whether at work or forced to stay home due to the virus. Our crew is split into two and will rotate 3 day/2 day work weeks at 6 hrs. per day and get full pay. We did receive an email tonight that things MAY change....hoping for no work. Plus I still have my own electrical contracting business that I keep going besides my full time job. I'm looking to buy a sweet '20 Laramie in Delaware but they are shutting dealers down come Tuesday morning. NJ dealers are already shut down. I'll see how things go after the panic is over....maybe even better deals to be had.
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

Seems i'm in the opposite boat/mindset as many here. SINCE things got serious, i have made more money selling stuff than i made all last year. Mind you, much ov that was gym equipment, and gyms are closing here, but some car parts as well. I'm hoping since the market is going to dry up HARD here (everything we sell comes from the South side ov a closed border), that people start thinking more budget, maybe think more hotrodder... and buy more used parts. Nothing but time on people's hands now, and the stores might close too... and so the used market might just respond...

Luckily i'm in a less than dire financial position, for once. Just wish i had a car to work on.

The border isn't closed to commercial traffic, so parts that are made in Mexico shouldn't start to disappear anytime soon, I wouldn't think. Although it is closed to non-essential travel, you can still cross over if you claim that you're crossing to do some shopping (which is technically commerce, I guess).

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 1968RR
Originally Posted by Pale_Roader

The border isn't closed to commercial traffic, so parts that are made in Mexico shouldn't start to disappear anytime soon, I wouldn't think. Although it is closed to non-essential travel, you can still cross over if you claim that you're crossing to do some shopping (which is technically commerce, I guess).

Not anymore. There is a massive lot ov people here who shop in the States, and they just shut that down. No more daytrips to Trader Joes. No more buying gas in Sumas. So 'commercial' means truckloads ov food, essentials basically. Where my issue sits is right in the middle ov the gray area. I'll find out tomorrow.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by RWG75

My father was born in the early 20s which means he had pretty solid memories of living through the great depression of the 30s - in a family with 8 kids. Didn't share a lot of detail with me but I do recall him saying that the best way to get a meal was to go take it away from somebody else. That generation spent their life adhering to "never gonna happen to me again" and many were pretty tight with their money.

Being raised around that mentality is a mixed bag. On the serious downside is being just too damn tight with my money - to the point of not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I could have. On the major upside, I'm pretty well positioned to ride out anything short of a zombie apocalypse or nuclear armageddon.

Instant gratification vs long term peace of mind. You can have one or the other.

You might be rewarded (heh... ov sorts) for that mindset. There are a few very intelligent people throwing that word around these days... 'depression'...

I can see it.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 11:46 AM

business as usual here. i'm essential personnel and th wife can work from home so the regular pay checks are coming in...

i'm thinking in the near future there will be some pretty decent deals out there. doubt i'll buy one though. think i'm done buying old mopar stuff.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 12:36 PM

What amazes me is everyone that thinks they are ok... teachers, insurance people, police, government, city workers, hospitals, they cut our service's, and think the unemployed will just keep writing the checks and paying them...Reality will be a bitter pill for them for sure if this lasts very long. They mandate close your business, but pay those taxes, no evictions, but pay the taxes, with what? Are they stupid?

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 12:57 PM

I know what you mean, they want some people to absorb things they cant really do.

They say some of the handout money has a cut off, income cap, sad to say I see some of the ones in a bad bad spot are making big money but are severely in debt.

I have four bills an month for the basics, I will continue to pay them without issue because im still using power, driving my car, ect and I think everyone who does owe and can pay things should, right or wrong, crash or not the businesses/companies need there money to keep going and pay there workers.

I wonder what the auto industry is going to get and how it plays into the appearance that GM and others are really dumping inventory.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 01:27 PM

Time to buy a large (3000-5000 gallon) gasoline tank to take advantage of the temporary dip in retail prices, kind of like the propane seasonal strategy.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 01:32 PM

I can hold 1000 diesel and 500 gasoline inground, I bought some about 10 days ago, probably fill things up while I can.

But I can use all the diesel before the growing season is over.
Posted By: Redbird

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 02:39 PM

I think car shows until at least the summer are gone. Spring Carlisle, don't see that happening. Chrysler Carlisle, maybe. Hershey, maybe. Fall Fling, perhaps.

I think we are seeing people trying to dump worthless projects. Can't see a lot of buyers for those.

The Big Car Auctions, reduced volume selling at reduced prices. Note the demographics, not good for sellers.

If there are a few parts that I can pick up at reduced prices, fine. Otherwise I can get by without.

I'm really looking to plan for the next 20 years. I can see that I do not need too many things in that time period, really value the time more.

Just want to go to National Parks.

Study the history of the 1930's for how we will get out of this. Plus, try to understand how automation will change the world.
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
What amazes me is everyone that thinks they are ok... teachers, insurance people, police, government, city workers, hospitals, they cut our service's, and think the unemployed will just keep writing the checks and paying them...Reality will be a bitter pill for them for sure if this lasts very long. They mandate close your business, but pay those taxes, no evictions, but pay the taxes, with what? Are they stupid?

Of everything delayed locally, property taxes are still on schedule to be paid. We have stopped evictions, Sheriff sales on foreclosures and most court services.

I am pretty sure if we have a similar issue a year from now, people and business will choose to not participate. Too much loss already. People are asked to hardship because those who are responsible for the common good should have prepared for this had not.

Most governments will have money for essential services- public safety; education, etc. They may find they shouldn't be in the parks and rec business and several other aspects for elected people to attend ribbon cutting ceremonies for.
Posted By: Redbird

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/23/20 02:48 PM

I think parks will become much more important, locally especially.
Posted By: Jer

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/24/20 01:55 AM

Most here are cautious, and still spending. BIG ticket items. Go to Lowes and Home Depot... sold out of refrigerators and chest freezers. Craziness!
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/24/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr T2U

We were just puppies through the 2008 recession, this one will be like 9-1-1 and 2008 combined. It's going to hurt.

Actually its a corona virus, not the there are many corona viruses in this world. This one should be named the Wuhan virus as that was the origination point. Diseases are named where they originate.

Very happy I sold my 73 Charger when I did
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/25/20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports
Originally Posted by Mr T2U

Actually its a corona virus, not the there are many corona viruses in this world. This one should be named the Wuhan virus as that was the origination point. Diseases are named where they originate.

Very happy I sold my 73 Charger when I did

COVID-19 is the specific name being attached to this strain of coronavirus, not China virus or Wuhan virus. Just to be clear.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/25/20 08:25 PM

n Yes but to the commoner its the CHINA VIRUS.

Society labels everything, people may not like it but its true.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/25/20 08:46 PM

My wife said we are getting a pool and I am getting a 40'x40' shop.

But I want to get an older 3/4 ton truck if a deal pops up.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/26/20 12:08 AM

n Yes but to the commoner its the CHINA VIRUS.

Society labels everything, people may not like it but its true.

Sorry, I just meant that’s what the science and medical communities are calling it.

People can call it the Foomanchu flu if they want, I suppose.

(And I have to say, my god that infolinks thing makes it difficult to post from a phone!!!)
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/26/20 02:00 AM

Ordered a big batch of parts for my '68 GTS including 1/4 skins. Currently working towards buying the last odds and ends for my no prep car. Still looking for the right 68 4 speed QQ1 Roadrunner and maybe a 66-67 beater HEMI 4 speed car. Kind of losing the thrill of owning an H or R code car as I slowly drive my collection less and less. I'd rather have a nothing special car that can be raced once in a while.

That said everything investments been moved to CD's a few months ago and in a few years we will look for more land. Along with many of you I remember the dot com boom crash, the 911 crash and of course the housing crash. I chose my profession and side business because they are essential services. Unfortunately even those positions may not be safe aka funded long term if nobody is making money at a corporate level.

I think we are going to get bit big time because of how overleveraged the average household is on items that will end up having little value on the resale market.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/26/20 02:56 AM

I had to google overleveraged, ha ha, Im not super well off but have no debt or credit cards, pay cash, but recently have been using my debit card in public as I dont want back and forth bills. Still waiting for some ebay sellers to slack up on prices a bit and will then and if get some needed parts.

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Ordered a big batch of parts for my '68 GTS including 1/4 skins. Currently working towards buying the last odds and ends for my no prep car. Still looking for the right 68 4 speed QQ1 Roadrunner and maybe a 66-67 beater HEMI 4 speed car. Kind of losing the thrill of owning an H or R code car as I slowly drive my collection less and less. I'd rather have a nothing special car that can be raced once in a while.

That said everything investments been moved to CD's a few months ago and in a few years we will look for more land. Along with many of you I remember the dot com boom crash, the 911 crash and of course the housing crash. I chose my profession and side business because they are essential services. Unfortunately even those positions may not be safe aka funded long term if nobody is making money at a corporate level.

I think we are going to get bit big time because of how overleveraged the average household is on items that will end up having little value on the resale market.
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/26/20 03:25 AM

Agree, China Virus!
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/26/20 03:47 PM

I had to google overleveraged, ha ha, Im not super well off but have no debt or credit cards, pay cash, but recently have been using my debit card in public as I dont want back and forth bills. Still waiting for some ebay sellers to slack up on prices a bit and will then and if get some needed parts.

I have been slowly buying what is needed to finish my cars as items go on sale. For instance the Holley sale in December is IMO the only time to make major purchases if you can help it. The discounts are unreal. With supply chain issues on the horizon it seemed prudent to stretch my lunch money for a few months to get year/platform specific parts to finish projects in progress. No way am I going to start or purchase any major projects at this point. We started with nothing so every preserving what we have is a big focus. If anything a big smokey burnout is good for moral. : D
Posted By: jcc

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/26/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jcastle1
Agree, China Virus!

Pick a Scapegoat Virus.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
Agree, China Virus!

Pick a Scapegoat Virus.

Repeat what a famous person says virus.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 05:45 AM

My buying mood got way better. For the first time in 47 years I am getting a check from the government. I get a free loan to pay my employees, business utilities, and rent, I have no rent. I have only paid in to the gov, never any gov help, or welfare, rent aid, food stamps, medical, low interest loans, nothing but BS gov controls and taxes. It is nice, I sleep till noon, don't work, get paid, and work on my cars for a couple months, it is wonderful. I always knew the welfare trash had the world by rear but man, never had this much time off. Not working is nice when da checks is gonna keep rollin in. The gov might just make me see the light and never work again🤣

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Originally Posted by jcc
Agree, China Virus!

Pick a Scapegoat Virus.

How about you research how prior viruses have been named then come back to us with a report.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Originally Posted by jcc
Agree, China Virus!

Pick a Scapegoat Virus.

How about you research how prior viruses have been named then come back to us with a report.

I already have: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it
Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. The official names are:

Disease

coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)

Virus

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2)

Why do the virus and the disease have different names?

Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, such as measles, but not the name of the virus that causes it (rubeola).

There are different processes, and purposes, for naming viruses and diseases.

Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread, transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on 11 February 2020. This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003. While related, the two viruses are different.

WHO announced “COVID-19” as the name of this new disease on 11 February 2020, following guidelines previously developed with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).

WHO Director-General's remarks at the media on 11 February 2020
WHO Situation Report on 11 February 2020
WHO and ICTV were in communication about the naming of both the virus and the disease.

What name does WHO use for the virus?

From a risk communications perspective, using the name SARS can have unintended consequences in terms of creating unnecessary fear for some populations, especially in Asia which was worst affected by the SARS outbreak in 2003.

For that reason and others, WHO has begun referring to the virus as “the virus responsible for COVID-19” or “the COVID-19 virus” when communicating with the public. Neither of these designations are intended as replacements for the official name of the virus as agreed by the ICTV.

Material published before the virus was officially named will not be updated unless necessary in order to avoid confusion.

Which is why I think it's really irresponsible when certain famous people decide to use a different name for whatever reasons they have. That's all I'm going to say about it. If you don't feel that the World Health Organization is a significant enough authority on disease naming, then I can't help you. This conversation is starting to become ridiculous.

Take Care and Stay Safe everybody!!! I mean it, this is nothing to fool around with.

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 08:23 PM

Ive got some killer ebay deals this week, twice ive made an offer on two different things, declined, two days later, a message " Are you still interested?"

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 08:51 PM

The WHO is pretty much in China's pocket. The Wuhan Virus is what it is regardless of what anyone likes.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Ok. So what’s everyone’s buying mood now? - 03/28/20 11:29 PM

I had to google overleveraged, ha ha, Im not super well off but have no debt or credit cards, pay cash, but recently have been using my debit card in public as I dont want back and forth bills.

Same here, no mortgage (paid off early) no credit cards, no personal loans, cash for everything, got my tax refund back in Feb. to the tune of $7300.... I know we had these discussions before about the pros/cons of credit cards, mortgages/payoffs and tax returns-paying or refund, I'm just glad at this time my employer is considered "essential", so I have work, and no bills other than utilities, property taxes, travel expenses (gas/repairs if needed) food, etc... feel bad for those with no work currently having an assortment of big mortgages, 1 or more car payments, personal loans, credit card debt and all the other "American way of life" incurred debts.... when everything finally does come back on line, and the priorities of day to day living that took precedence over one's incurred debt are now secondary, the American way of life for most will be a debt clogged backed up toilet with no relief being in sight but reprocessions, foreclosures, bankruptcy and forfeitures, etc in store for most , the economy is going to have enough trouble getting back on it's legs production wise, never mind financially....
© 2024 Moparts Forums