Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I visited a nearby regional grocery chain store today. It was remodeled recently and had a normal amount of shoppers. I had thought of an idea last week, and I thought I would bounce it off the store manager. In the corporate world, that is about as productive as arguing with a traffic signal, but still I try.

Seems like one risk reduction most agree is beneficial, in any amount, is increased separation from others.

In this store, there are 10 check out lines. Seldom are more then 4 open, and rarely do all have a line more then three.

So I asked the store manager, if this virus thing gets really serious, people are going to feel uncomfortable shopping in a public space, and the most uncomfortable time will be standing in the check out line.

It went somewhat like this:

"I don't run your store, and don't know what the downside is, but why couldn't you just first open alternating check out lines?"

SM, "well we would have to close down the the line, count the money, and move everyone............."

" No, I don't mean right now, I mean when you open them up"

SM "well we normally don't do that"

"These aren't normal times"

Silence

"And I have never seen the lines ever open on the very end" (1-4)

SM "Well, we open them on holidays"

I'm thinking Memorial day, July 4th, and Labor Day?? eyes

"Well, if you want customers to come into your store and feel comfortable, you might want to consider It"

The light remained Red. laugh2

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: jcc] #2751069
03/11/20 05:59 PM
03/11/20 05:59 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by jcc

:facepalm:

That does sound like a reasonable idea. In Italy they're saying to keep at least 1m between people whenever they're in public, so restaurants are rearranging their tables to accommodate it.

Apparently a cough can spray up to 2m in distance, then fall to the floor, so enforcing at least some distance won't hurt at all.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2751077
03/11/20 06:45 PM
03/11/20 06:45 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
Originally Posted by jcc

:facepalm:

That does sound like a reasonable idea. In Italy they're saying to keep at least 1m between people whenever they're in public, so restaurants are rearranging their tables to accommodate it.

Apparently a cough can spray up to 2m in distance, then fall to the floor, so enforcing at least some distance won't hurt at all.

Don’t do a facepalm 🤦‍♀️. We aren’t supposed to touch our faces. And we have to shake elbows instead of hands.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: pittsburghracer] #2751081
03/11/20 07:10 PM
03/11/20 07:10 PM
italy
A
antonellomopar Offline
enthusiast
antonellomopar  Offline
enthusiast
A

italy
In Italy today they closed all shops, save for food and pharmacy. About 900 deaths, around 10.000 infected. I am wondering how things will work in the USA. We have free health care, and if somebody is ill, social care will pay his salary. So, as soon as someone feels bad, goes to the hospital and he is checked for free. If positive, he gets a room, assistance, and medical care. His salary is paid by the social care. What about the US?

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: pittsburghracer] #2751088
03/11/20 07:45 PM
03/11/20 07:45 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Pittsburgh St Patrick’s Day parade just canceled. I think they said it averages 350,000 spectators. A local bar owner said he sells one months worth of booze during that parade.

The remainder of the Houston Rodeo was cancelled today. houston rodeo canceled amid growing concerns-over coronavirus

I went to Walmart last night about 7:30 PM and I have never seen one so empty. Yes, there were customers, but not near as many as usual. I was able to walk the full width of the store without crossing paths with someone.

shock

walmart.jpg

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: SattyNoCar] #2751092
03/11/20 08:03 PM
03/11/20 08:03 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Maybe this would be a good time to go shopping at Walmart....Wait! What was I thinking, there is never a good time to go shopping at Walmart.
Sorry for my careless thought. Gene

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: antonellomopar] #2751095
03/11/20 08:26 PM
03/11/20 08:26 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by antonellomopar
In Italy today they closed all shops, save for food and pharmacy. About 900 deaths, around 10.000 infected. I am wondering how things will work in the USA. We have free health care, and if somebody is ill, social care will pay his salary. So, as soon as someone feels bad, goes to the hospital and he is checked for free. If positive, he gets a room, assistance, and medical care. His salary is paid by the social care. What about the US?

:laughs in freedom:

Honest answer is that people will just go to work if they're sick. Most places (especially service type jobs), either don't have sick days, or have very few. Unless they've saved up a nest egg while working at minimum wage (ha!), they won't be able to afford to not work.

They won't go to the hospital until they're on deaths door because of their $10k deductibles, if they even have insurance.

A lot of states have "at-will" employment, which means you can be fired for any reason at any time, including not showing up if you're sick. They really can't afford to lose their job, so again, they'll just come in when they're sick.

About three weeks ago I probably had the flu (my daughter tested positive for influenza-A a few days ago), but luckily I work remotely from home anyways, so I was able to trudge along from home, taking a nap at lunch and again after work. We do have some savings, but I still couldn't really afford to miss the hours :-/

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2751098
03/11/20 08:38 PM
03/11/20 08:38 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington

:laughs in freedom:

Honest answer is that people will just go to work if they're sick. Most places (especially service type jobs), either don't have sick days, or have very few. Unless they've saved up a nest egg while working at minimum wage (ha!), they won't be able to afford to not work.

They won't go to the hospital until they're on deaths door because of their $10k deductibles, if they even have insurance.

A lot of states have "at-will" employment, which means you can be fired for any reason at any time, including not showing up if you're sick. They really can't afford to lose their job, so again, they'll just come in when they're sick.

About three weeks ago I probably had the flu (my daughter tested positive for influenza-A a few days ago), but luckily I work remotely from home anyways, so I was able to trudge along from home, taking a nap at lunch and again after work. We do have some savings, but I still couldn't really afford to miss the hours :-/

The above post is laughable garbage. “10k deductibles”. People at risk of losing jobs——yeah, cause companies firing people for calling in sick are ALL over the news right now...LOL......NOT!!!

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2751099
03/11/20 08:47 PM
03/11/20 08:47 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Maybe I should have used our actual $13.5k deductible instead? rolleyes

I'm pretty sure no one has been fired yet, but this ride is just starting. It will get messy.

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2751100
03/11/20 08:48 PM
03/11/20 08:48 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington

I'm pretty sure no one has been fired yet, but this ride is just starting. It will get messy.

You are desperate for a change....I get it.

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2751126
03/11/20 11:15 PM
03/11/20 11:15 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.

Tell you what, my wife is reading about us locally from many friends on FB & people are talking about stores all over our area out of toilet paper & kleenex. Nursing homes are starting to be quarantined around us now. Things are happening very fast here. Food will be next. Remember the famous FDR quote: "what we have to fear, is fear itself."

I hope this is all misguided hype, but my wife just read Italy went from 600 to over 10,000 cases in just a few days, & 200 deaths in about 24 hours. WOW!

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2751127
03/11/20 11:16 PM
03/11/20 11:16 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.

Thanks to the UnAffordable Care Act... Health insurance has tripled in 10 years it's already a mess...

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2751128
03/11/20 11:20 PM
03/11/20 11:20 PM
Walmart parking lot
yorker Offline
Drugs are bad
yorker  Offline
Drugs are bad

Walmart parking lot
I am scared, and wonder how long before a member here gets sick from it?
I live in the center of Houston !!!! almost 4 million people in a high density area. Time to lock and load.

( SHONEN KNIFE ) MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE. ONE SONG, ONE CONCERT AT A TIME FOR OVER 36 YEARS!!
https://www.youtube.com/user/SHONENKNIFETV
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: yorker] #2751129
03/11/20 11:27 PM
03/11/20 11:27 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
My 2 daughters are going to local colleges - today colleges all over Michigan are announcing they are shutting down. No sh*t!

We will be making a food run tomorrow to stock up. This is whipping up into a frenzy REAL FAST!

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: QuickBpBp] #2751133
03/11/20 11:49 PM
03/11/20 11:49 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Originally Posted by QuickBpBp

Thanks to the UnAffordable Care Act... Health insurance has tripled in 10 years it's already a mess...

At the rate it was rising w/o the act, it's a wash..

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: yorker] #2751134
03/11/20 11:52 PM
03/11/20 11:52 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Originally Posted by yorker
I live in the center of Houston !!!! almost 4 million people in a high density area. Time to lock and load.

I hope that's a joke...if serious then you need to get a grip.

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2751136
03/12/20 12:01 AM
03/12/20 12:01 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I can't wrap my head around how it became wide-spread relatively quickly. I imagine it will become a case study to track down how it proliferated (propagated?)
Basketball, Tom Hanks, soon our neighbors?
I looked at John Hopkins site and it has a nice interactive map for tracking. One case in Las Vegas: a woman from new your feeling ill went to some woman group get together, lots of interpersonal contact.
An old fable makes parallels how a virus replicates: a wise man entertained the emperor of china whom loved the performance so much he granted the old man his wish. The old man produced a checker board and stated he would be most pleased if he could fill the board with rice thus: in the first square place a single grain, the second place 2, then 4, and doubling so forth until all the squares have rice on them. The emperor felt the request modest and granted the old man's wish. Once done, the wise man had all the emperors rice and the emperors kingdom went without.

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2751141
03/12/20 01:25 AM
03/12/20 01:25 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

You are desperate for a change....I get it.

Some change in some areas, yep.

We don't see much of that right now (losing jobs over staying home sick), because it's already happening during non-pandemic times, but only occasionally and spread out in onsies and twosies, so there's no big event to tell the world when it does happen.

The next month will be very interesting :-|

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/where-do-you-go-if-you-get-coronavirus/607759/

Slowing the disease requires asking people to isolate themselves and, in most cases, stop working. Most of the world cannot shelter in place for long without income. When people are asked to survive alone—without the cultural, social, and financial inputs that typically keep us alive—new ways of attending to basic needs become immediately necessary. “For people who can’t afford time off work, we absolutely need to come up with out-of-the-box solutions right now,” Ko says.

Among them is the idea that everyone receive cash, immediately. People need to feel able to skip work and still make rent and feed their family. They need cash without strings attached, and they need it now, not via a complex omnibus economic stimulus package next month. With each day that such bills are debated by skeptical senators, people will continue to go into their communities, out of a need to work, spreading the disease simply because they have no other choice.

Planning for emergency cash transfers is underway in Hong Kong, where permanent residents are to receive the equivalent of $1,282 later this year, in an effort to keep both the economy and people alive.* In response to a month of nationwide school closures in Japan, the government is paying out $80 per worker per day to help cover child care or the costs of staying home to parent. Other government payments could be conditional on taking sick leave—a sort of emergency national sick-leave policy, whereby your employer might simply have to verify that you did indeed miss work for two weeks. Or, as with President George W. Bush’s $152 billion economic-stimulus bill in 2008, people could simply get a check in the mail.

Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: antonellomopar] #2751145
03/12/20 05:36 AM
03/12/20 05:36 AM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey

Our population is about 5.5 times more than yours....

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: 5 reasons not to panic over COVID-19 [Re: yorker] #2751146
03/12/20 05:39 AM
03/12/20 05:39 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by yorker

You needn't wonder, chances are there are already members here already infected.

Society has been behind, time wise in every area, on assessing the progression of this pandemic, and seem to still be in denial.

For example, why UK, and others got a travel ban exemption is not medically based, with the trend of this event IMO.

Need to get over the "scare" part, and just get focused with a plan, that at least serves your benefit.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7