Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by DirectSubjection
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
You may still need to provide the documentation in those states as well while they prepare to be in compliance.

NJ already required similar documantation for a license so its really no different than a standard renewal.

I have a feeling Texas and some other states are this way as well. When I moved here I didn't need any other form of ID except my out of state license.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Real ID [Re: Rhinodart] #2747672
02/29/20 09:42 AM
02/29/20 09:42 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I have a passport, still can't get me into Canada anymore ..

What's up with that? We crossed in to Canada a few months ago and all they needed to see was passports.

The "fun" part was not having solid answers for any of the standard questions. We were going to Niagara off season so just threw a bag in the trunk and hit the road. How long are you staying? 2 or 3 days maybe. Where will you be staying? We're gonna try the Cadillac Motel or maybe something around the corner. Bringing in any tabaco? Yeah, a few packs of cigs. Bringing in any food? Yeah. How much and what? Point to my girl and she says "just some road snacks".

Pull up and park over there.

Clearly they were bored because it took 3 of them to search the car. Clearly one or more of them were idiots because they got concerned about the folding luggage protector in the trunk and one actually asked me if the car was a convertible. I really don't know what kept from saying some stupid to that. Oddly enough the whole thing came to a screaming halt when they found the adult toys in the luggage.

Hey, get back here and close that suitcase - it wasn't open when you started.

Re: Real ID [Re: ] #2747680
02/29/20 10:21 AM
02/29/20 10:21 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by RWG75
I have a passport, still can't get me into Canada anymore ..

What's up with that? We crossed in to Canada a few months ago and all they needed to see was passports.

The "fun" part was not having solid answers for any of the standard questions. We were going to Niagara off season so just threw a bag in the trunk and hit the road. How long are you staying? 2 or 3 days maybe. Where will you be staying? We're gonna try the Cadillac Motel or maybe something around the corner. Bringing in any tabaco? Yeah, a few packs of cigs. Bringing in any food? Yeah. How much and what? Point to my girl and she says "just some road snacks".

Pull up and park over there.

Clearly they were bored because it took 3 of them to search the car. Clearly one or more of them were idiots because they got concerned about the folding luggage protector in the trunk and one actually asked me if the car was a convertible. I really don't know what kept from saying some stupid to that. Oddly enough the whole thing came to a screaming halt when they found the adult toys in the luggage.

Hey, get back here and close that suitcase - it wasn't open when you started.

I was a bad boy in 1978 and got a felony. If you have a felony anytime from the day you were born, or a DUI, you will now not be granted access to Canada. That happened after the 2016 election if you get me drift. And to the original intent of this thread, I already know several of my friends who have renewed their license IN ILLINIOS and they opted out of the "REAL ID" drivers license with no problems, your state may vary. If you don't live in a certain state you cannot tell me what happens in my state...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Real ID [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2747685
02/29/20 10:30 AM
02/29/20 10:30 AM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
So if you dont have the star and your id is not real, is it fake?

I was wondering the same thing..... after all the one in my pocket came from the same DMV that would be issuing this "real" ID IF I decide to get this "special" one.... at 52 I have been in a plan exactly once so far.... don't anticipate that total going up by very much in how ever much longer I have left....
Why do we have to have a different ID to fly within our own country anyways??? makes no sense.

Re: Real ID [Re: Rhinodart] #2747688
02/29/20 10:32 AM
02/29/20 10:32 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Real ID is not automatic in IL when you get your drivers license. The whole thing since it started here has been a sheet show, people go in to renew, want to get their DL real ID, bring all the required documentation, find the line is 3 hours for real ID, so give up and spend 30 or 40 minutes getting their DL non real ID instead.
As to it being a federal requirement that all renewals must be real ID, not true. They will issue DLs to illegal aliens here, you think they get Real IDs? They aren’t eligible.

Re: Real ID [Re: jcc] #2747715
02/29/20 12:28 PM
02/29/20 12:28 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by jcc
I presented mine years back, for a gold star, and made certain my name, address and name of pertinent utility was readable, and redacted EVERYTHING else.

Seems like I should have the right to redact also. biggrin

interesting point.
beer

Re: Real ID [Re: Mastershake340] #2747738
02/29/20 01:43 PM
02/29/20 01:43 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Real ID is not automatic in IL when you get your drivers license. The whole thing since it started here has been a sheet show, people go in to renew, want to get their DL real ID, bring all the required documentation, find the line is 3 hours for real ID, so give up and spend 30 or 40 minutes getting their DL non real ID instead.
As to it being a federal requirement that all renewals must be real ID, not true. They will issue DLs to illegal aliens here, you think they get Real IDs? They aren’t eligible.

You guys are right and I am wrong. I looked it up. That's just crazy but then I remembered the dead rise from the grave to vote in your state too. laugh2

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: Real ID [Re: Guitar Jones] #2747746
02/29/20 02:06 PM
02/29/20 02:06 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
"vote as often as you can !" laugh2
beer

Re: Real ID [Re: Rhinodart] #2747752
02/29/20 02:31 PM
02/29/20 02:31 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Went in to renew my CDL several years ago and found out after waiting in line that a passport or certified copy of my birth certificate was needed to renew. My Illinois issued CDL wasn't proof enough??? Lol New federal law around 2014 and need to bring it every time I renew.

Re: Real ID [Re: volaredon] #2747761
02/29/20 03:13 PM
02/29/20 03:13 PM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline OP
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline OP
Tacohead. The First and Only

Here
Originally Posted by volaredon

Why do we have to have a different ID to fly within our own country anyways??? makes no sense.

My understanding is some states are more lax about giving out licenses than others so some states DLs are very secure while others not so much. One following federal guidelines for all is now needed to make it uniform in all states.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: Real ID [Re: volaredon] #2747811
02/29/20 05:28 PM
02/29/20 05:28 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia

I was wondering the same thing..... after all the one in my pocket came from the same DMV that would be issuing this "real" ID IF I decide to get this "special" one.... at 52 I have been in a plan exactly once so far.... don't anticipate that total going up by very much in how ever much longer I have left....

If you consider when the bill of rights was originally drafted, airplanes, cars, trains, etc were still in the future. However the right to freely to move about the country was a given

Nobody at the time would have accepted requiring any licencing restrictions for riding a horse that would restrict one's right to move around the country.

Somewhere along the line the citizens were asleep at the wheel, pun intended and the mantra became "driving a car is a privilege, not a right", and most everybody accepted that restriction.

Well that slippery slope has morphed into flying, trains, buses, etc is also not a right and you must now jump thru certain hoops, at this time ( more later it seems) to drive, fly or ride.

Rights are seldom expanded, and we have nobody to blame but our apathetic selves.

There are groups that resist/fight this "driving is a privilege" crap.

And understand the main difference between privilege and a right, you are allotted due process in taking away a right, a privilege is denied often just by the stroke of a bureaucrat pushed pen that likely one can never contact/find to contest..

Ironically IMO, the "gold Star" on my CDL is actually a white star with a gold circular outline, but don't tell anybody. eyes

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Real ID [Re: DirectSubjection] #2747821
02/29/20 06:13 PM
02/29/20 06:13 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.

My understanding is some states are more lax about giving out licenses than others so some states DLs are very secure while others not so much. One following federal guidelines for all is now needed to make it uniform in all states.

All CDL in all States have the same regulations.

Re: Real ID [Re: second 70] #2747840
02/29/20 07:31 PM
02/29/20 07:31 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by second 70

I believe this is true and may be part of my misunderstanding since I hold a class A CDL.
I just don't understand the point in having minimum documentation standards if you're going to allow others to not follow those requirements. I am glad I'm not a politician, it would make me insane...well more than I already am.

Re: Real ID [Re: Guitar Jones] #2747844
02/29/20 07:47 PM
02/29/20 07:47 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by Mastershake340

You guys are right and I am wrong. I looked it up. That's just crazy but then I remembered the dead rise from the grave to vote in your state too. laugh2

Our state coined the term "vote early and vote often"... laugh2

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Real ID [Re: second 70] #2747861
02/29/20 09:00 PM
02/29/20 09:00 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by second 70

CDL's fall into the interstate commerce clause, regular DL's didn't but I guess they weaseled into it by saying if you fly it's interstate commerce. Interesting how things get stretched to fit the narrative.

Re: Real ID [Re: DirectSubjection] #2747874
02/29/20 09:42 PM
02/29/20 09:42 PM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
I was actually surprised and relieved how easy it was for me in PA. I was pre-vetted for a real ID online when I got my initial renewal form about a month before my DL expired. Showed up to the DMV right when they opened with every form of ID I had and was out in 20 minutes. Our local DMV is brand new and is huge, so they can process customers non stop. I fully expected it to be a nightmare but it couldn't have been easier. Just my experience.

Last edited by A39Coronet; 02/29/20 09:44 PM.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: Real ID [Re: Rhinodart] #2747943
03/01/20 08:08 AM
03/01/20 08:08 AM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

I was a bad boy in 1978 and got a felony. If you have a felony anytime from the day you were born, or a DUI, you will now not be granted access to Canada. That happened after the 2016 election if you get me drift.

News to me and the subject of my 1985 DUI never came up.

I may well be mistaken but I thought this real id thing was some kinda TSA driven welcome to the post 9/11 world.

Re: Real ID [Re: ] #2747955
03/01/20 10:06 AM
03/01/20 10:06 AM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada

I was a bad boy in 1978 and got a felony. If you have a felony anytime from the day you were born, or a DUI, you will now not be granted access to Canada. That happened after the 2016 election if you get me drift.

I may well be mistaken but I thought this real id thing was some kinda TSA driven welcome to the post 9/11 world.
Dont feel too bad Jim.
At least you're in good company.
After leaving office former President George W. Bush had to get a waiver to enter Canada after his DWI offense in Maine in 1976.
Maybe you're just not hanging around with the right people.

Re: Real ID [Re: mccannix] #2748012
03/01/20 01:29 PM
03/01/20 01:29 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by mccannix

Dont feel too bad Jim.
At least you're in good company.
After leaving office former President George W. Bush had to get a waiver to enter Canada after his DWI offense in Maine in 1976.
Maybe you're just not hanging around with the right people.

Oh I can get a waiver, costs me $2800 to do it according to all the phone calls and letters to Canadian officials. I won't pay to visit somewhere I have been to many times because of something I did when I was a kid that affected nobody in Canada... tsk

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Real ID [Re: Rhinodart] #2748036
03/01/20 03:25 PM
03/01/20 03:25 PM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada

Oh I can get a waiver, costs me $2800 to do it according to all the phone calls and letters to Canadian officials. I won't pay to visit somewhere I have been to many times because of something I did when I was a kid that affected nobody in Canada... tsk

I dont blame you...seems ridiculous..
Same thing happened to friend of mine
He used to cross into the US regularly to buy parts for his 68 Harley FLH at the Iron Block dealer.
Several years back his 40 year old charge came into question and he now can no longer enter the US.
Was $600.00 to get it cleared up then, now it is $2200.00.
He's staying put

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3