02/21/20 02:16 AM
02/21/20 02:16 AM
Missouri
StrokerPost Offline OP
master
StrokerPost  Offline OP
master

Missouri
I've been with one of the bigger mainstream insurance companies for many years, all my kids are on my insurance, but my son is ready to do his own thing but finding out how expensive it is. I'd like to know if any or all of the online companies, Progressive, Geico, Liberty etc are genuinely cheaper and are there any drawbacks to using those companies? Thanks.
Ken

Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: StrokerPost] #2745119
02/21/20 06:31 AM
02/21/20 06:31 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
There is no way for anyone to tell you which company will be cheaper for your son. Anyone who says, "This company is cheapest," or "That company has the best rates for young drivers," has zero idea what they are talking about. There are far too many underwriting variables involved for one person's price to be relevant to another person's price. The only way to accurately compare prices is for your son to get quotes for the exact same coverages from multiple companies. Please keep that in mind when you read some of the inevitable replies to your thread.

As far as pros/cons of various carriers, you can find people who have had great experiences with all of the companies you mentioned, and you can find people who have had poor experiences. For example, I work for Progressive, have been there since 1988. I know that in my 20 years in the claims field (1994-2014), I provided people with fantastic service, and made their lives a little easier after they'd been in an accident. I also have encountered situations where we did not live up to the level of service that a customer should expect. My wife was hit by a Progressive customer a few years ago, and they took great care of us. In my current role, my team works with every single major carrier, every day. I can tell you that I wouldn't have Geico insurance if it were free. I think their claim service overall is poor, and the vast majority of claims people I have encountered there are rude and unprofessional. Others may have had good experiences, but mine is based upon thousands of interactions with them. I also would never insure with Allstate, but that's because of their long history of unethical practices involving homeowners insurance, not anything to do with car insurance. In fact, one of my wife's co-workers had Allstate, and dinged my wife's car, and the claim service was very good. Some of the state Farm Bureaus are good, others (IN and TN), I would avoid like the plague.

State Farm, USAA, Liberty Mutual, Farmers...all provide good service, though State Farm is really struggling on the auto insurance side when it comes to pricing people accurately. Hartford is a good company, as is Cincinnati. Erie and Westfield tend to be a little more selective when it comes to underwriting, but they are both good companies who provide good service. Mercury is a solid mid-sized company. I've had mixed reviews about AAA. If you would like to know my experience with any other carrier, fire away. I've worked with just about all of them.

You can buy direct, or you can buy through an agent. I have an agent only because that was the only option to purchase from my current carrier (MetLife). When I compared quotes, they were so much cheaper than everyone else for the same coverage that even though I prefer to buy direct, I couldn't pass it up. Their claims service has been terrible, and I wouldn't recommend them for that reason. I've had no issues getting them to do what they were supposed to do, but I am certain that if I didn't have a lifetime of experience in the field, that would not have happened. When I switch carriers, I will likely buy direct.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: not_a_charger] #2745130
02/21/20 08:42 AM
02/21/20 08:42 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I can tell you that I wouldn't have Geico insurance if it were free.

being a auto body tech i will agree with this 1000%
they have the worse claims processes i have ever experienced. they write extremely low pay estimates based on pics. them when you file a supplement. they will only approve additional repairs after a adjuster visits your shop in person. after they visit they again write extremely low pay estimates. their estimates usually include prices for parts from several states away where shipping of parts is not included with the price quote.
i would assume they do this to steer the cars to their direct pay body shops where they can control prices better. the shop where i work isn't one of those shops.
i myself tell people i wouldn't use geico insurance if someone else paid the premiums.
whenever possible the manager tries to not work on cars covered by geico insurance. it isn't worth the hassles to him or the shop.

allstate isn't much better on writing good estimates, but at least they have a supplement process where you talk with the adjuster over a cell phone. you can show pics of the damage with the phone and get approval quickly. .......disclaimer. i don't handle any part of the claim process. i only repair the cars.

OK rant off

Last edited by Mr T2U; 02/21/20 08:44 AM.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: Mr T2U] #2745179
02/21/20 11:59 AM
02/21/20 11:59 AM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
I'd add that the Claims experience can vary with location and what seemed like a 5-year rotation in senior management.
Depending on the mindset of management, the process could be smooth & reasonable, or argumentative and very unpleasant.
I worked on both side of the fence, so to speak, for 40+ years.
As time went on, I found most insurers are only concerned with the least-expensive repair, with no concern about returning vehicle to pre-loss condition.
To be fair, I've also seen shops cheat the repairs as well, as their net profit margin is smaller than any other trade.
Several years back, I went with MetLife Auto & Home and have been happy with the rates & service.
It's worth your time to shop not only for rates, but for the claims service in your area.
Include the opinions of any quality collision repair shops in your area in that shopping.

Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: topside] #2745222
02/21/20 01:46 PM
02/21/20 01:46 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
I have Progressive car and home owner insurance direct through their website. Overall, I have been satisfied with them so far. I haven't had to file any claims yet
with the car end of it, but I did have a homeowners claim in the past, and they were very helpful and professional with that.. twocents.

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: StrokerPost] #2745250
02/21/20 04:27 PM
02/21/20 04:27 PM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
I switched from Nationwide to Liberty Mutual and saved aver $330 a year for the same coverage. Should have switched years ago. These companies bank on you not shopping around and slowly but surely raise your rates, or intentionally avoid reevaluati g your situation for reduction opportunities.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: Mr T2U] #2745291
02/21/20 07:13 PM
02/21/20 07:13 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
I can tell you that I wouldn't have Geico insurance if it were free.

being a auto body tech i will agree with this 1000%
they have the worse claims processes i have ever experienced. they write extremely low pay estimates based on pics. them when you file a supplement. they will only approve additional repairs after a adjuster visits your shop in person. after they visit they again write extremely low pay estimates. their estimates usually include prices for parts from several states away where shipping of parts is not included with the price quote.
i would assume they do this to steer the cars to their direct pay body shops where they can control prices better. the shop where i work isn't one of those shops.
i myself tell people i wouldn't use geico insurance if someone else paid the premiums.
whenever possible the manager tries to not work on cars covered by geico insurance. it isn't worth the hassles to him or the shop.

allstate isn't much better on writing good estimates, but at least they have a supplement process where you talk with the adjuster over a cell phone. you can show pics of the damage with the phone and get approval quickly. .......disclaimer. i don't handle any part of the claim process. i only repair the cars.

OK rant off

Geico: all yack, no shack. Just for the hell of it, I tried them for a quote several years while shopping around & they were about TWICE as high as my current insurer.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Auto insurance questions [Re: StrokerPost] #2747558
02/28/20 09:41 PM
02/28/20 09:41 PM
Missouri
StrokerPost Offline OP
master
StrokerPost  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Thanks guys for your input, it has been insightful even for my own interests. No decision has yet been made by my son, and I may yet have questions for you guys, but wanted to get back and say thanks again. Sorry it took so long to get back but life intervened. LOL