OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Quote:

Quote:

also, the only pictures presented in this post that look even remotely close to being the same (dead on) are the ones Mike Volz of Rocket Resto posted and they are uncleaned dirty 30 year old parts, if they are the same so be it!

*....but they sure dont look anything like those posted of ross's bubble..

The picture posted by Mike Volz doesn’t even show a comparison between the grill and the shaker bubble paint. Are you now implying that the picture of Mike Ross' Cuda IS NOT an original factory example?* I thought Tony Dagostino posted the picture to simply substantiate that the grill and bubble were painted with the same paint formula! What about the 3 comparison photos posted by Terry McCann? Wasn’t that the original question/point of this entire thread?
Have we suddenly switched topics?

dave keep up, its confusing enough to try to convey this in written word jumpin back and forth form psot to post...

the original question by me was: can anyone post just one pic of a PRODUCTION LINE Installed shaker and grille that matched...

so one of the pics posted by Mike Volz is of a bezel (so what I can see that it the 'bezel" is the same as grill paint woudl be) and it is the first i ever seen where the two (shaker/grille beze whatever) that matched.

I am NOT implying That mikes car is not origianl (you need to stay with whats being said and quit trying to read between lines, and reread it if it doesnt make sense, I know i have since you started posting)...

only that the picture Ross posted a long time ago does not look like the picture tony posted and the differences in shade are night and day as pointed out by someone else in that other thread, and they appear night and day regardless of reflective quality, how you hold your head in the light to see it etc.

which is what this dead horse beating has become about for me, and people being able to tell the differences between the two colors...

I understand the original poster wanted to know if they were the same or not, it has been answered that yes they were and no they were not)

so regardless of what Mike R says and what Tony says, based on the picture Tony shows comparing the shaker to the grille vs the opriginal picture Mike ross showed in the other post, vs what mike volz has posted i am questioning the two colors on being the same on the blue car and using all my references to show the night and day diff btween the two pigments.

I am not being stubborn because of who it is i am dealing with, or anything else regarding them or you, its how i see the color, i am sorry I cant convey that any more clearly...

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256801
03/19/09 11:26 PM
03/19/09 11:26 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
Dave W and Mike R, and everone, which color is this based on Mike Ross's shaker?

5105909-1A.jpg (711 downloads)
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256802
03/19/09 11:28 PM
03/19/09 11:28 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
same question

5105912-1B.jpg (267 downloads)
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256803
03/19/09 11:32 PM
03/19/09 11:32 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Quote:

i am sorry I cant convey that any more clearly...

Us too I think. This thread made my head hurt.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: hemicar1971] #256804
03/19/09 11:33 PM
03/19/09 11:33 PM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Can any of the posters tell me who painted the Bubbles for Chrysler? Was it Fram doing it in house? Was it Summerville Ind. that I believe made the bubbles? Did either of these two, Fram or Summerville mix the paint or did they have others mix small batches using a Chrysler Formula for their use on the bubbles.

Not Summerville Ind that made the scoops. The facility where they were manufactured in Toronto is long since closed, but scoops were shipped bare to Fram who initially for a short period of time mixed paint themselves as discussed in this and other earlier threads.
Fram called it Astrotone Silver, paint code AF4-DA1

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256805
03/19/09 11:35 PM
03/19/09 11:35 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
tonys' pic of mikes car again closer to these above to make the reference easier

Last edited by AllTrim Plus; 03/19/09 11:38 PM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256806
03/20/09 12:34 AM
03/20/09 12:34 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
FWIW As incredible as Mike Ross' Survivior Cuda is it also proves that Argent Tones over time could vary from one piece to the next, as well as the Shaker Bubble & the Grill match the Headlight Bezel doesn't...

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256807
03/20/09 03:08 AM
03/20/09 03:08 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

the only pictures presented in this post that look even remotely close to being the same (dead on) are the ones Mike Volz of Rocket Resto posted ......but they sure dont look anything like those posted of ross's bubble..

Help me understand your point Mike. If you admit that Mike Volz's sample looks original and you state that Mike Ross' sample is original, what is it about MR's bubble that prompted you to post that it "don't look anything like those posted....? Original is Original!!!

Quote:

so regardless of what Mike R says and what Tony says, based on the picture Tony shows comparing the shaker to the grille vs the opriginal picture Mike ross showed in the other post, vs what mike volz has posted i am questioning the two colors on being the same on the blue car and using all my references to show the night and day diff btween the two pigments....the original question by me was: can anyone post just one pic of a PRODUCTION LINE Installed shaker and grille that matched...

Lets not forget the factual documented pictures that Terry McCann posted. That makes THREE different individuals with visual proof showing that the colors were NOT "day and night diff" but were very close to being the same. Why is this concept even being debated at this point? The best thing you could do is follow your own advice and post original "PRODUCTION LINE Installed shaker and grille" photos that support your contrasting views. With your 20 years experience, I would assume that you have at least ONE documented picture! With all due respect Mike, your conclusions have been supported by nothing more than your typed words, while requesting documented proof from everyone else!

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: ECS] #256808
03/20/09 05:39 AM
03/20/09 05:39 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio

To contribute to this conversation, here is a picture of the bubble and grille (no flash on the camera) on a 3,900 mile survivor that hasn’t seen the light of day until this week when all the cudas were pulled out to clean the shop. It's very obvious, like the pieces Terry has shown, the argent is the same and much easier to see that it is in person.

With all the good information posted here I think we can come to the conclusion that the factory intent was for the bubble and grille to match. Original bubbles will appear to be lighter depending on their exposure to the elements. The metals in the paint will oxidize at a much greater rate on a piece that is exposed like a bubble and make it appear much lighter. That will explain why the photo of the bubble on the black cuda Alltrim posted is much lighter. Based on the condition of the car that's obvious.

Another consideration is the fact that most of the bubbles were painted over a much more contrasting color in the red oxide primer. It takes more coats of argent to cover as apposed to the complementing color of a grey plastic grille. Our findings, painting more than 1,000 buckets and 500 grilles, is that every additional coat of argent lightens the shade of the appearance. Like I wrote earlier, we are very careful not to mix grilles and buckets even when they are sprayed the same day. We paint 10 grilles and buckets at the same time to insure a perfect match.

Whether a production line piece or NOS, the information so graciously supplied by fellow MOPAR people clearly shows that parts painted at different times with the same paint will change in shade. Based on all our experience here at B/E & A using argent paint, shades of the same paint changed considerably because of the inherent factors when spraying that type of material.

In closing, it is my presumption, that there isn’t one definitive shade of textured argent paint that is gospel as being correct, rather a shade anywhere in between.

After this exercise, it's easy to see why some people might preach that a lighter argent is gospel. Where some painted with a lighter argent? I don’t think so, more like the actual application of the paint that changed the shade.

5106131-ARGENT-PAINT.gif (721 downloads)
Last edited by HEMICUDA; 03/20/09 07:37 AM.
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: HEMICUDA] #256809
03/20/09 05:57 AM
03/20/09 05:57 AM
Chicago Blackhawks
H
hemicar1971 Online content
master
hemicar1971  Online Content
master
H

Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with your last post HEMICUDA.One Chrysler Formula, but maybe mixed by different sources when applied to the Bubble or Grille,etc. so there would be a possibility of having a shade different on each. If all Mixing was done in one batch and shipped to all persons applying it then there would be little difference if any. If all followed the formula mix to the exact specs.then the color would be an exact match.But to get the formula mixed the same in August of 1969 as to July of 1970 it would have to mixed via the forumla to an exact specs. and be tested in a Lab. and tweaked to match the Chrysler Formula.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: hemicar1971] #256810
03/20/09 06:06 AM
03/20/09 06:06 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

I agree with your last post HEMICUDA.One Chrysler Formula, but maybe mixed by different sources when applied to the Bubble or Grille,etc. so there would be a possibility of having a shade different on each. If all Mixing was done in one batch and shipped to all persons applying it then there would be little difference if any. If all followed the formula mix to the exact specs.then the color would be an exact match.But to get the formula mixed the same in August of 1969 as to July of 1970 it would have to mixed via the forumla to an exact specs. and be tested in a Lab. and tweaked to match the Chrysler Formula.

I agree totally, and to say paint mixed by Mr. Joe counter guy at a paint store in 1989 as being absolute would be a foolish statement.

Don't forget, painting over contrasting colors with the same paint changes the shade also.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: HEMICUDA] #256811
03/20/09 09:02 AM
03/20/09 09:02 AM
MD
p d'ro Offline
pro stock
p d'ro  Offline
pro stock

MD
For those with a driver, on a budget, and need a non-textured argent, Krylon Dull Aluminum rattle can(don't have number w/ me) looks pretty darn close and goes on very smooth if prepped properly....

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256812
03/20/09 09:53 AM
03/20/09 09:53 AM
DELAWARE
TONY_DAGOSTINO Offline
master
TONY_DAGOSTINO  Offline
master

DELAWARE
Quote:

so regardless of what Mike R says and what Tony says, based on the picture Tony shows comparing the shaker to the grille vs the opriginal picture Mike ross showed in the other post, vs what mike volz has posted i am questioning the two colors on being the same on the blue car and using all my references to show the night and day diff btween the two pigments.

mike
i hate to enter pi**ing matches here, but please be open minded enuff to admit that where the flash hit the shaker in the pic i took changed the appearance of the color. be smart enough to look past the flash + see where the flash doesnt hit the bubble or the grill that the colors are the same

i think we all know here how flash, lighting etc can change the appearance of the color.

also, i was there, + saw with my own eyes , the grill + shaker are the same color

i have no dog in this dispute but im just stating what i saw

i worked in a body shop for a few years when i was a kid, + i know that the same mix of paint sprayed with anyone of the following variances different days, different tempature, different humidity, different air pressure, different person usually will produce some kind of a difference in color

also do you feel that the 1989 batch of paint you have is an exact match to what was used in the 1970 model year????

im not saying it couldnt be, but it was mixed 20 years later than the original stuff

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: TONY_DAGOSTINO] #256813
03/20/09 01:02 PM
03/20/09 01:02 PM
out front
J
jerrya Offline
Comin to a Labor Day Telethon
jerrya  Offline
Comin to a Labor Day Telethon
J

out front
Global Warming has either affected the pigments in the paint or a couple of poster's minds.... to be continued..... I'm sure

Man does not plan to fail... he fails to plan
Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: jerrya] #256814
03/20/09 02:05 PM
03/20/09 02:05 PM
OR
A
AllTrim Plus Offline
AllTrim Plus  Offline
A

OR
yah know what after thinking about this O/N and talking to people i respect about it...

everyone is right i have no business or any experience to be talking about this at all, thank you for indulging me while i stirred the pot... its been fun?

thank you to all who presentd pics and hypotheses.

my input on this from here on out, dies here with me now, last time i ever talk about it, offer any thing or any insight... not because i am right or wrong, simply that it is a drain on my energy and focus, and i have spent way to much time on it as pointed out by some who feil i am not spending enough time working on their parts..

any and all info that i have or had, or come across, will now be up to the people who have bought/buy the formulas/formulations etc. from me or done their own research and documentation..

i am just going to sit back and watch from the sidelines and LMAO at misinformation and keep track of the good stuff for my personal use and knowledge to apply to my products.

since there is a consensus that none of this stuff was the same and that none of it was different, it can no longer matter to me what is what.

all the best!

Mike

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256815
03/20/09 02:57 PM
03/20/09 02:57 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
The real question asked by most is where and when can they buy some piant to shoot it them self.
After all the fighting is over and everyone walks away thinking ther are right, Not one vender sells what they think is right!
Point is if they realy think that what they have is right. They should have no problem selling it not talking about the limited source of OEM stock still left.
If there is a A,B,C option let the public make up their own minds.
For years most of the guys were happy to get the ppg laqure organsol that was not right just to have something to use vs nothing.
So I assume something very close would leave us tickled pink

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: 340SIX] #256816
03/20/09 03:48 PM
03/20/09 03:48 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

The real question asked by most is where and when can they buy some piant to shoot it them self.
After all the fighting is over and everyone walks away thinking ther are right, Not one vender sells what they think is right!
Point is if they realy think that what they have is right. They should have no problem selling it not talking about the limited source of OEM stock still left.
For years most of the guys were happy to get the ppg laqure organsol that was not right just to have something to use vs nothing.

Kevin, good argent sprayed from a gun has been available through Frank Battleson. Not rehashing right from wrong, his paint is very good.

It's not that our company won't sell the paint, we aren't set up to do so and I really need it for the grilles we did. If you have a grille you would like painted, I would be more than happy to offer that service to you.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: 340SIX] #256817
03/20/09 05:48 PM
03/20/09 05:48 PM
NW Ohio
6pkaar Offline OP
super stock
6pkaar  Offline OP
super stock

NW Ohio
Quote:

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: AllTrim Plus] #256818
03/21/09 01:58 AM
03/21/09 01:58 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

i am just going to sit back and watch from the sidelines and LMAO at misinformation...

You are taking this way to personal Mike! It certainly does appear that this is a matter of being “right” and the heck with the truth! Look at your quote above. How is anyone reading this thread suppose to interpret that particular type of sentiment? You are a guy who has helped support this hobby. What “misinformation” are you referring to? The original comparison pictures posted thus far? The testimonials that were presented along with photographic proof? You shouldn’t make comments like that and just leave them hanging! Who are you accusing of promoting and/or offering “misinformation”?
As far as the “good stuff” Mike, ANYONE can mix the paint to match the original formula if they do their homework and take their time with the procedure.

Re: Grill and Shaker Bubble....Use Same Argent? [Re: ECS] #256819
03/21/09 02:33 AM
03/21/09 02:33 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I have a case of original argent in the cans from Chrysler dated 1971. I haven't tried to use it yet, but it sure will knock your diick in the dirt when you open up a can! Arguing this for the 10000000000th time sure is funny though!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5