A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

are there other foam brushes to use ?
are they all the same density foam ?

do you clean them after each painting coat ?
or throw them out ?

if you mix up too much paint and mineral spirts can you store the extra mixed paint in a sealed container till the next coat ?

How do you get the paint to stick to a reverse curve , say the the bottom of the rain gutters ?

I guess thats all the questions for now ,

I am getting close to doing my vans roof as a test in white , over the original white

thanks for keeping this thread alive

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26919
02/14/07 09:02 PM
02/14/07 09:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

for a polisher I think the Makita BO6040 is great. Kind of a mix of rotary & random orbit. Not as fast as normal rotary, but probably one of the most powerful random orbit.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26920
02/15/07 02:55 AM
02/15/07 02:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I found 2 roller pads of different density(cheap yellow & thicker/better black - shurline brand) but I only remember 1 foam brush(dark gray/black).

I bought a quart tupperware thing for mixing & storing.It sealed airtight but still might need to add a LITTLE thinner when you reopen it. My thinking was by mixing larger batches & adding more before it was all gone I was more likely to have a consistent thinness & therefor consistent color shade.

If you're repainting soon you can reuse the brushes but they're cheap so just buy several.
underside of raingutter - either brush on or use a stock color so you can spray. I sprayed my doorjambs & hood edges, worked great. Did them after 2 rollon coats on the surface then wetsand to eliminate any transition change.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26921
02/15/07 02:48 PM
02/15/07 02:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you want to store the roller brush and paint. You can keep it in the freezer for overnite or even a couple of days. You can put everything in a small roller tray and wrap with alum.foil. Or use a tupperware container.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26922
02/15/07 03:25 PM
02/15/07 03:25 PM
SO. CAL.
70blackfish Offline
master
70blackfish  Offline
master

SO. CAL.
I need a paint job.....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26923
02/15/07 04:17 PM
02/15/07 04:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok....well I guess I will look and see whats at Home Depot,

I doubt I will put anything in the freezer , just seems like it will get my food smelling funny

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26924
02/15/07 04:28 PM
02/15/07 04:28 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Putting your rollers in the freezer is a great method for preserving them, I have used this method myself. The only thing is like you mentioned is that your food will smell and maybe even taste like paint. The choice is yours. Jay. Keep on rolling!

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26925
02/15/07 08:09 PM
02/15/07 08:09 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I put the roller in a zip-lock baggy everytime I was done using it, kept it reusable for days. In fact it was usuable until I didn't use it for a few days, then it started to dry up. I think the longest I used one was 10 days or so. Yeah, I'm taking a long time to do it but with family and work and now winter, I'm doing it a piece at a time, which for white, shouldn't be an issue.

I have also just poured unused paint right back into the can, it didn't seem to cause any problems.

Gerbs

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #26926
02/15/07 11:38 PM
02/15/07 11:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SO, I am still a little uncertain about what to do with the underneath side of the hood. What's everyone doing to paint the underneath side of the hood? Does rustoleum or brightside hold up well to the heat of the engine? Should I just use the high heat black engine paint or can the rustoleum or brightside handle the heat of the engine compartment?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26927
02/15/07 11:59 PM
02/15/07 11:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm painting white on top of white, so I probably won't even paint the underside of the hood ... there is no rust or anything there, so it should be fine.

If you are changing colors, people have been using spray can, touch-up gun with air compressor, or a paint brush.

If you are using Rustoleum standard colors, you can get a matching spray can. If you are using Brightside, you can thin the paint, then take it to any auto paint supply store, and they will put it in a pressurized rattle can for you. That is also a good option if you want to mix up some Rustoleum colors.

If you have an air compressor, you can get a little touch-up gun for as low as $10.00.

And finally, people have reported good results using a brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Some use a foam brush, but I think a good chinese-bristle brush yeilds better results.

Quote:

SO, I am still a little uncertain about what to do with the underneath side of the hood. What's everyone doing to paint the underneath side of the hood? Does rustoleum or brightside hold up well to the heat of the engine? Should I just use the high heat black engine paint or can the rustoleum or brightside handle the heat of the engine compartment?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26928
02/16/07 01:23 AM
02/16/07 01:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's amazing how far this has gone. I've been reading this thread as lurker since Post #1--- admittedly I've skipped the last 30 pages --

but anyway I found something online while doing research that I might share.

Quote:

I'm a retired PPG and Sherwin Williams auto paint jobber, and I have these thoughts after 25 years in the business:

1. Never wipe down with lacquer thinner. Use wax and grease remover, lots of it, one wet rag, one dry to wipe it up before it dries. Lacquer thinner dries too quick and will not float the contaminants off the surface as well.

2. 95% of paint problems are caused by too much too quick. Often alkyd enamels will skin over on top of the surface before it is dry underneath. Especially true in high temps or humidity conditions or if spraying in wind or sun. Weeks later this will cause wrinkling, or at best a soft finish. Trapped solvents underneath are trying to get out.

3. The cheaper the paint the greater the likelihood itwill have poor color hold outin the sun. Ultraviolet screeners are expensive ingredients. Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

4. Use hardeners when you can. You get a cure all the way through, and resistance to gas is greater.

5. Use compatible products. Get your paint from the same place you get your primer. Match reducers to weather conditions. Ask questions and follow directions.

6. Most products using a catalyst do not function well when applied at 60 degrees or less.

Good luck

Dick

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26929
02/16/07 02:34 AM
02/16/07 02:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, my name's Phil and I'm from Hamilton in New Zealand. I'm a long-time lurker of this thread but a first time poster.

I've been watching this thread for the last year and have only finally got around to starting to paint my Corolla with this method - it's an '81 TE71 2 door liftback model which is just my project car so I'm not so worried if I stuff it up.

I just finished applying the first two coats of the paint on the bonnet and just toying around with the paint/spirits mix rate and ways to apply it with the roller. Think I'm getting the hang of it already.

No doubt I will be posting again when I start running into problems.

I've tried re-reading the thread again but I gave up after the first 10 pages and can't be bothered reading through 100+ pages, so I'm wondering if anyone who has painted their car could give a short run down/summary of the process.

Cheers,
Phil

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26930
02/16/07 02:48 AM
02/16/07 02:48 AM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Does anyone have experience or insight on multiple colored panels on a car? Would each panel come out a different color if I were to use this method w/ Brightside? Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26931
02/16/07 09:35 AM
02/16/07 09:35 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
Quote:

When I was younger, and didn't necessarily have a "SHOW" car, my buddies and I would use Rustoleum or Krylon paint under the hood. It was usually for cars with a black engine compartment. But even in a car with headers and that ran real warm on occasion, the heat didn't seem to be an issue. I am going to use rustoleum under the hood of my car again as I haven't seen an issue with reliability in the past.

I don't think that the manufacturers use anything different under the hood even when it is the same as the body color.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26932
02/16/07 09:36 AM
02/16/07 09:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

When 69charger originally started talking about the Rustoleum method, he specifically mentioned the high heat areas on his VW Beetle (engine compartment and deck lid). He said that the paint has held up well despite the high temps of an air cooled motor. His orange Beetle was a good test case and I think that you'd probably be fine w/the underside of your hood.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #26933
02/16/07 09:37 AM
02/16/07 09:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

V8Mirage, you beat me to the punch by one minute

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26934
02/16/07 09:51 AM
02/16/07 09:51 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Phil, this is a common question on this board, but not the easiest to answer as many of us have slight variations on the common theme. We've done what works for each of us. I would definitely recommend reading as much of these threads as possible, as you can likely learn from the trials and errors of others.
For me w/Rustoleum:
>Mix to milk like consistency and roll on uber thin
>Roll two coats
>Wetsand (600-800 grit)
>Roll two coats
>Wetsand (800 grit)
>Roll two coats
>Wetsand (1000 grit)
>Roll two coats (I let mine cook in the sun for a couple of weeks)
>Wetsand (1500 grit) and Polish

I had to do more coats because I used red and I didn't have a uniform color underneath. Allow each coat to fully dry (12-24hrs depending on temp and humidity). As I said, each of us probably has done this slightly different, and you will likely, too. Good luck!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26935
02/16/07 09:09 PM
02/16/07 09:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi

has anyone put up a video on YouTube etc

showing how thin the paint needs to be and how it goes on and sets up ?

Also has anyone seen the orange Rustoleum paint at Home Depot ?

thanks

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26936
02/17/07 05:41 PM
02/17/07 05:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hi

thanks

Beaulieu

yes, yes

does that help :-P

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26937
02/17/07 10:28 PM
02/17/07 10:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hi

thanks

Beaulieu

yes, yes

does that help :-P

ok......AND WHERE ???????

Page 124 of 159 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 158 159