A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

i have a question, i have gone through a disk grinder attachment, and a wire brush and some of the paint is EXTREMELY hard to get off. some parts of the car is down to the metal, but a good portion of it stil needs to be sanded down to bare metal. do i really need to go all the way down to the metal in order to paint it?

Nope, but since you are down to bare metal in some spots then you really should continue until it is all down to the bare metal. Instead of sanding the hell out of it, you could also use some really strong paint stripper. Just don't use it in an enclosed area with a heater going.

like what kind of stripper? the aircraft kind? i bought this one kind in a spray can but ionno.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26679
01/12/07 02:09 AM
01/12/07 02:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

to all paint pros and old skool people with painting experience:

i made the mistake of not wearing a mask for the reason that i did not know that i had to when SANDING down my car. the problem is that i have a 79 subaru and i dont know if they did or did not stop putting lead in the paint back then. i also need to know what will happen to me now that the fact that did not wear a mask while sanding for the past few days. i believe i did inhale some of the particles while sanding because i was at a constant 10 inches or less away from my car aginst the wind at most times. i am thinking i should go and see a doctor about it because it feels like i swallowed something and its stuck in my throat and it hurts when ever i swallow or breathe in real deep. any suggestions?

Last edited by SHIFT; 01/12/07 02:13 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26680
01/12/07 07:25 AM
01/12/07 07:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

By 1979, lead-based paint was banned in the US.

More likely is that you have irritated the snot out of your sinuses (pun intended). You will feel like crap for a few days. Your sinuses will remove the foreign material eventually.

Next time wear a mask, eh?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26681
01/12/07 09:12 AM
01/12/07 09:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A quick update. After finishing the sanding on that bad too-thick first 2 coats, I thinned my paint way down, and laid down a coat with very little roller pressure. Very few initial bubbles this time. I then wiped over it with the weight of a clean roller (no foam brush this time) and they came out leaving a very smooth and shiny surface. It looked great as night fell on it. This morning I gave it a very light wet sand to get out any surface dirt I could feel and its now smooth as a baby's bottom. I will get a few pictures after the second coat today.

Thanks for the help guys. I am getting there.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26682
01/12/07 10:34 AM
01/12/07 10:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are those of you using Brightisde,also using the Interlux Primer as well? Can other primers such as rattle can primers be used? Or is it better to stick with just one product?

Thanks for anny input.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26683
01/12/07 10:41 AM
01/12/07 10:41 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
bowerbird I used both of Rustoleums rusty metal primer and thier automotive primers. Haven't had any problems.
But if I had it to do over again, I would have primed the wholes truck if possible just because it would have made the roller job easier to see the coverage. No required by any means but for me it would have been easier.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26684
01/12/07 12:18 PM
01/12/07 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would agree Dart, in terms of being able to see the coverage on the first few coats. Now that I have solved my thinning and pressure on the roller problems I can see that my bondo work is still sub-par. While it is now "smooth as a baby's bottom," it ain't flat, and the shinier it gets the more you can tell.

I think maybe with the severe body damage I had, I don't have a large enough block. I am using one of those 6 inch ones and a small electric sander. Are any of you guys using these big sanding blocks like the ones shown here?

Dura Blocks

While I am just working on a daily driver/work type van, and not a rotisserie restored trailer queen, I would really like to perfect both the body work and the painting before moving on to something else.

By the way, that mineral spirits sure evaporated out of that sealed can quickly. I had to add quite a bit more this morning to get it thin enough.
Regards,

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26685
01/12/07 01:36 PM
01/12/07 01:36 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I bought a long wood one from my local Harbor Freight store and they do have paper to fit it. Must be 17-18 inches long.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26686
01/12/07 04:17 PM
01/12/07 04:17 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I have a long board (about 17.5") and one of those dura board things, around 12". Something at least that long is a must..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26687
01/12/07 06:31 PM
01/12/07 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

smyrna5, I like the color you mixed. Do the pics look close to the real thing? I was thinking of doing the same thing to try and match the color on my F100. Too cold and damp for me to play in the shop right now...planning on doing it this spring. I think I'll just paint the darn thing and go back later and fix the hail dents and such.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26688
01/12/07 07:15 PM
01/12/07 07:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

smyrna5, I like the color you mixed. Do the pics look close to the real thing?

Uhmm. Yes and No. As I said in one of the posts, a lot depends on the lighting when you take the picture, and computer monitors are infamous for not rendering colors accurately. Publishing guys go through all sorts of hoops to get colors looking right in print and on the web. Perhaps since 69Charger has boosted Rusto's sales so much, he can get them to either start mixing again, or put an interactive mixer on the net like this one:

http://painting.about.com/library/blpaint/blcolormixingpalette1.htm

My advice is to get a color as close as you can, then figure out what needs to be added, and do a small test with various combinations in small amounts.

My color is now darker than it was for two reasons. First, I have more paint on the car, and second because I added some black to darken it. Now, its probably a bit too dark, but I will keep adjusting until I like the match. The problem is trying to keep track of what you did, which is why I think you need the tests where you write down the proportions. The amount of mineral spirits and what you paint it over will also affect it.

If you are not trying to match a factory color, and like one of the standard colors, or just want to mix one up you like its a lot easier. White paint lightens it and black paint darkens it, just as you would expect. Yellow and blue make green. Red and Yellow makes orange etc.

Walmart carries the pint cans of Rustoleum ($3.37 US) in basic colors, such as black and white, so you probably don't need to buy a whole palette of rustoleum quart cans in all the colors. The guy at Home Depot said they didn't order Rustoleum colors and the guy at Ace Hardware told me they would order anything the warehouse had. I wanted Teal, but no one had it so I decided to mix my own.

I found a painters color mixing wheel on the net that I thought was useful, but I can't seem to find it now.

I love those old Ford trucks.

Last edited by smyrna5; 01/12/07 07:43 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26689
01/12/07 09:22 PM
01/12/07 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have that kit and i would like to know if there is a sticky wet sanding paper and where to get it my car is black and i have alot of orange peel and want to use the long flat piece.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26690
01/12/07 10:36 PM
01/12/07 10:36 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Exit/Marq, would you recommend using Rustoleum as the inital base coat to make everything 1 even color and then paint over it w/ a couple coats of Brightside for the final glossy coat? BTW, this is going from red ---> white.

I believe you could save some $$$ doing it this way? Can you guys think of any drawbacks by doing it this way?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26691
01/12/07 11:41 PM
01/12/07 11:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

mybuick - I know I live fairly close to an auto paint supplies shop that also will sell to the public. They carry self-stick paper for those long blocks and I think I even saw some of it on rolls. Someone else who has the long blocks may have a better source.

AutoColor

These guys also have it online. I don't think it comes in many fine grits, since the "longboards" are intended for roughing in the shape, not final wet sanding.

Hope that gives you an idea where to look. LongBoard Paper

Last edited by smyrna5; 01/12/07 11:53 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: kenzo42] #26692
01/13/07 01:10 PM
01/13/07 01:10 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Exit/Marq, would you recommend using Rustoleum as the inital base coat to make everything 1 even color and then paint over it w/ a couple coats of Brightside for the final glossy coat? BTW, this is going from red ---> white.

I believe you could save some $$$ doing it this way? Can you guys think of any drawbacks by doing it this way?

I would say that IF you are going from red to white AND you intend to have Brightside as your final skin you should start with Brightside.

My reason for this is as follows : Brightside has better coverage. In 'most' cases you should have 100% coverage by 4 coats... and 6 at a maximum. BUT if you use the Tremclad/Rustoleum and cut it with the mineral spirits ( as per the Charger recipee ) than it may take you 4 coats just to hide the red undersurface.

My other thought on this is that if I were now attempting to take my red car and turn it white, I would probably do my first coat of Brightside at 100% with no cutting with their thinner. I would let that coat thoroughly dry and harden... and hit it with a wet sanding to smooth it all out. I would then hit it again at 100% Brightside and no cutting with thinners. Again let it dry and harden thoroughly and do a very careful wet sanding to get that surface as smooth as I could.

At this point any evidence of the past red color should be pretty well gone..

At this point you would then lay down the next TWO coats of Brightside THINNED with the recommended thinner.

The trick to following this recipe for your particular circumstances ( going from a dark subsurface to a light colored surface ) is to nail down those first two layers as smooth as you can get it.

Otherwise you can instead fall back to the potentially safer route of just going at it from the start with the thinned down Brightside and just be prepared to do an extra coating or two before you get to the 100% coverage or masking of the red from being visible through the white.

Although there are no compatibility problems between the Tremclad/Rustoleum and Brightside, I would not go that route IF I had the chance to start with Brightside and end up with the final layer being Brightside.

The 'theory' behind my logic on that is this :

Brightside paint on Brightside paint results in the newest layer forming bonds between the polymers of the old layer of Brightside and the new layer of Brightside..... THIS results in the strongest possible bond between the two layers of paint.

WHEREAS if you put Brightside on topic of Tremclad/Rustoleum there is no polymer bonding - because Tremclad/Rustoleum doesn't have any in it. Instead you are relying solely on the adhesion qualities of Brightside to find pores or sufficient rough surfaces on the Tremclad/Rustoleum layer to grab hold of with its adhesion agents.

Fortunately Brightside has superb adhesion agents and it can stick to just about anything. But I hope you can appreciate that if you can get the polymers of the old layer of paint and the new layer of paint to bond, than you will have an even more solid adhesion. They basically become one layer and are not just two surfaces 'glued' togethers, but in fact have now become one intertwined layer.

Hope this helps without getting too confusing...

Marq

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26693
01/13/07 01:59 PM
01/13/07 01:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I spent an hour in Harbour Freight this morning, and barely escaped with my wallet. That place is like a candy store for surburban men on Saturday mornings. Anyway, I got the 17" long board and several rolls of paper to fit it. Does all this body work stuff count against my $50?

Long Board $9.99 (HF)
25' Sandpaper Rolls 80 grit $3.99
25' Sandpaper Roll 120 grit $3.99
25' Sandpaper Roll 240 grit $3.99

I didn't see any wet sanding rolls there.

For those of you who don't know what they look like, here is a picure of them sitting on the 2nd re-coat, and one of my reflection. All taken before any sanding. Its getting kind of dirty from me driving it around. You can see that I have darkened the color a bit too much with the small amount of black I mixed in.

Last edited by smyrna5; 01/13/07 02:14 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26694
01/13/07 05:06 PM
01/13/07 05:06 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Thanks Marq. I'll stick w/ your recommendations .

Quote:

Quote:

I would say that IF you are going from red to white AND you intend to have Brightside as your final skin you should start with Brightside.

My reason for this is as follows : Brightside has better coverage. In 'most' cases you should have 100% coverage by 4 coats... and 6 at a maximum. BUT if you use the Tremclad/Rustoleum and cut it with the mineral spirits ( as per the Charger recipee ) than it may take you 4 coats just to hide the red undersurface.

My other thought on this is that if I were now attempting to take my red car and turn it white, I would probably do my first coat of Brightside at 100% with no cutting with their thinner. I would let that coat thoroughly dry and harden... and hit it with a wet sanding to smooth it all out. I would then hit it again at 100% Brightside and no cutting with thinners. Again let it dry and harden thoroughly and do a very careful wet sanding to get that surface as smooth as I could.

At this point any evidence of the past red color should be pretty well gone..

At this point you would then lay down the next TWO coats of Brightside THINNED with the recommended thinner.

The trick to following this recipe for your particular circumstances ( going from a dark subsurface to a light colored surface ) is to nail down those first two layers as smooth as you can get it.

Otherwise you can instead fall back to the potentially safer route of just going at it from the start with the thinned down Brightside and just be prepared to do an extra coating or two before you get to the 100% coverage or masking of the red from being visible through the white.

Although there are no compatibility problems between the Tremclad/Rustoleum and Brightside, I would not go that route IF I had the chance to start with Brightside and end up with the final layer being Brightside.

The 'theory' behind my logic on that is this :

Brightside paint on Brightside paint results in the newest layer forming bonds between the polymers of the old layer of Brightside and the new layer of Brightside..... THIS results in the strongest possible bond between the two layers of paint.

WHEREAS if you put Brightside on topic of Tremclad/Rustoleum there is no polymer bonding - because Tremclad/Rustoleum doesn't have any in it. Instead you are relying solely on the adhesion qualities of Brightside to find pores or sufficient rough surfaces on the Tremclad/Rustoleum layer to grab hold of with its adhesion agents.

Fortunately Brightside has superb adhesion agents and it can stick to just about anything. But I hope you can appreciate that if you can get the polymers of the old layer of paint and the new layer of paint to bond, than you will have an even more solid adhesion. They basically become one layer and are not just two surfaces 'glued' togethers, but in fact have now become one intertwined layer.

Hope this helps without getting too confusing...

Marq

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26695
01/14/07 12:40 AM
01/14/07 12:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well i have 800 grit da paper and will that work to flatten the clear coat then wet sand with 2000 grit?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26696
01/14/07 10:04 AM
01/14/07 10:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

mybuick - I haven't touched my hood with anything finer than 400 grit yet, and the first coat covers any scratches made by the 400.

On another note, I figured out a way to make a poor man's rustoleum paint mixer. I downloaded and opened a picture of the rustoleum color chart from the web. Then, I opened it in Photoshop. If you put the eye dropper tool over any color and left click, it will tell you the exact Red Green Blue (RGB) content of that color. If you don't have Photoshop just download Gimp, which is free and will do the same thing.

Now comes the mixing part. Since I knew what color various mixtures of Hunter Green and Royal Blue gave me in my real paint tests, I just added the individual RGB values of the two paints and divided the result by 2. I then painted a small rectangle on the card with that color, which I set by hand in the RGB control box. Wa-La! - it was a match.

Next, I opened a picture of my van and sampled an area with the eye dropper. Then, I mixed colors from the chart by adding their RGB values to get the numbers as close as I could with stock rustoleum and painted a small area. To lighten a color with white or black just add or subtract a constant number from each RGB value. Strangely, I found that my van isn't teal at all, at least not rustoleum teal. The closest match I got with rusto colors was Royal Blue with 10% black.

Unfortunately, Rustoleum doesn't give us a pure Red, Green and Blue, or we could mix any color we want with this method. About the best you can do is to play with the colors they give you and a picure of your car to get as close as you can. Its way less messy than real paint.

Hopefully, that is clear.

Last edited by smyrna5; 01/14/07 01:10 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26697
01/14/07 04:20 PM
01/14/07 04:20 PM
Central Ohio
L
Ledman_70 Offline
mopar
Ledman_70  Offline
mopar
L

Central Ohio
Do you guys know of any program that you can copy a pic of your car into then manipulate the colors?

Jeff Adams 64 426 Polara
Page 112 of 159 1 2 110 111 112 113 114 158 159