Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 94 of 159 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 158 159
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26318
11/20/06 04:09 PM
11/20/06 04:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Charger, I would love to be able to work on your paint with my polishing stuff. I reckon we could get it looking like glass.

I sure understand the desire to get everything finished though and just drive the thing. After two days of stuffing around on the hood of the Miata, the amount of time someone could spend polishing a car the size of your Charger is just a little intimidating. After all the hood on my Miata isn't that much bigger than the glovebox on the Charger. The prospect of driving the Charger would be so much more appealing!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26319
11/20/06 06:05 PM
11/20/06 06:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

dang aussie! how much is that poorboy stuff and where could i find it? also, what was ur final wetsand, and did you immedietly use the swirl remover after the final wetsand or did u use some rubbing compound? what exactly were your steps..? i wonder how well the ssr stuff would work with a fixed speed orbital buffer, since thats all i have cause it looks so nice but i dont want to go spend 100+ on one.

A quick google search yielded these results:

For Canadian's: http://www.eshine.ca/products.php?cat=12

For USA: http://www.poorboysworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=281

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26320
11/20/06 06:09 PM
11/20/06 06:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Aussie, how many bottles of that poorboy super swirl remover you gonna use to cover the entire vehicle? I see they come in different sizes all the way up to a Gallon!

I have a car that's probably the same size as yours but with a roof on it.

Thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26321
11/20/06 07:25 PM
11/20/06 07:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I doubt that I'd even use one bottle. When I apply the polish to the pad, I do four thumbnail size 'blobs' at the N/S/E/W positions. That is enough to do a panel the size of a door.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26322
11/21/06 02:48 AM
11/21/06 02:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey EXIT, when you originally painted ur car red rustoleum, what red did you use? i thought i remember it being SAFETY red, so i picked some up cause i like the weay it looked on your car. so i put the first coat on my car and its looking kinda orange to me, idunno if thats just the light (pitch black outside, only have a garage light and a shop flourescent light)...but im kinda scared i mighta got the wrong color =X!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26323
11/21/06 09:54 AM
11/21/06 09:54 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

hey EXIT, when you originally painted ur car red rustoleum, what red did you use? i thought i remember it being SAFETY red, so i picked some up cause i like the weay it looked on your car. so i put the first coat on my car and its looking kinda orange to me, idunno if thats just the light (pitch black outside, only have a garage light and a shop flourescent light)...but im kinda scared i mighta got the wrong color =X!

Yep that's safety red. It's an orangeish red. My mom saw it and used the word "tomato".

There was a buy who painted a fiberglass buggy body, who took pics of it outside and it looks pretty much the same there.

If it looks too orange, maybe it is just too light because its still see through. A few more coats will probably show you the real color on your car.

I didn't dislike the color, I just didn't think it would make the right combo for the car which I want to look somewhat mild but sound and move like a monster. So I went with a more plain Jane color ..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26324
11/21/06 12:13 PM
11/21/06 12:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What happened to that guy who added some sprinkly dust to his paint to give it a "pearl" effect? He said he would post pics, but I haven't seen any yet.
I guess that method failed? I could imagine getting a lot of small pinholes from wetsanding it because of the small sprinkly particles. You'd probably have to seal the final layer with a clear coat.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26325
11/21/06 05:22 PM
11/21/06 05:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Menappi--I did my Jeep in Brightside Fire Red (roller method), along with Rustoleum spray Safety Red for the hard to roll areas (tailgate, door jambs, etc). The two colors are basically identical, and yes, they are an "orangeish red." Based on my observations, the brighter the conditions (sunlight), the more orange it looks. At dusk or on a cloudy, sunless day, it looks more red. Pics of my Jeep are on page 38 of this thread; compare the pics after the 3rd coat vs. the 4th coat pics to see the difference in the colors under different light conditions.

Hope this helps...
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post2965063

Last edited by 69DartGT; 11/21/06 07:22 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26326
11/21/06 11:54 PM
11/21/06 11:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i buy quart size bottles on ebay and use maby 3/4 of the bottle. you will find out body shop supply stors sell them for 70.00 ea and on ebay it is not even 30.00 for the same stuff...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26327
11/22/06 07:19 AM
11/22/06 07:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't you just love irony.....

My order of the SSR3 cutting compound and the new cutting pad are due to arrive tomorrow, so of course my car just has to get hit by a 4WD (and a Ford Expolder at that!!!) on the way home from work this evening. Cue one passenger's door probably too badly damaged to open (and then be able to close again), and one wrecked rear quarter panel.

I sent one of my mates a pic of the damage via my phone and he sent back a message that at least I could now get my car resprayed. My response was "[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] a respray, I roll my paint jobs....."

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26328
11/22/06 09:22 AM
11/22/06 09:22 AM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
There seems to be 2 pc orbital buffers- 7424 & 7336... Wonder what is the difference? Now these use 6" pads. I have seen the 3M foam pads that seem to be 8" pads (3M # 05725 & 05723) Would using these larger pads affect the way the Porter Cable machine works? I assume you are using 3M pads with the 3M compounds & polishes.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26329
11/22/06 09:24 AM
11/22/06 09:24 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

My order of the SSR3 cutting compound and the new cutting pad are due to arrive tomorrow, so of course my car just has to get hit by a 4WD (and a Ford Expolder at that!!!) on the way home from work this evening. Que one passenger's door probably too badly damaged to open (and then be able to close again), and one wrecked rear quarter panel.

I sent one of my mates a pic of the damage via my phone and he sent back a message that at least I could now get my car resprayed. My response was "[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] a respray, I roll my paint jobs....."

Sorry to hear that man.

Your sanding and polishing work has been top notch, and now I know I don't have to live with those dust specs and orange peel I have and can still have a killer shine with brightside. Thanks and hope your car turns out OK. Hopefully no one was hurt.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26330
11/22/06 09:59 AM
11/22/06 09:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My order of the SSR3 cutting compound and the new cutting pad are due to arrive tomorrow, so of course my car just has to get hit by a 4WD (and a Ford Expolder at that!!!) on the way home from work this evening. Que one passenger's door probably too badly damaged to open (and then be able to close again), and one wrecked rear quarter panel.

Look on the brightside, the 2wd Explorer is at fault, so his insurance company will cough up the cash for you to get a proper paint job! No more rolling! You just sit there and wait for the car to be repaired... Maybe it was a sign to say, "No more rolling, you've had enough, just respray me dammit" lol...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26331
11/22/06 11:26 AM
11/22/06 11:26 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Look on the brightside, the 2wd Explorer is at fault,

How's that for irony? look on the Brightside.......what a classic!!!!

Sorry to hear that Aussie, take the car to get a estimate, for all the body work/parts/paint, then get the cheque and do it yourself.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: texczech] #26332
11/22/06 03:14 PM
11/22/06 03:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have norton pads from eastwood.
woll cuting pad
blue swirl pad
white polishing pad

iam going ot do a quick polish on the paint then clear the car then do a good polish then it should look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its just getting cold now and it takes longer for the paint to dry. o well

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #26333
11/23/06 09:30 PM
11/23/06 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi y'all,

I'm new here, but have a page dedicated to car painting- I have a lot of free info (yeah, I have a book too, but lots of free info even if you buy zero)
So, visit if interested-- guess it's the #1 site on Google for "how to paint a car"-- I'm amazed it is, actually.

I learned how to paint from a guy who does Lambos, and Lotuses, and Ferraris, etc... but its all the same paint now- urethane. I recognize many of the issues you're talking about here...
Later- Neil

www.EasyPaintYourCar.com

Last edited by Neil Slade; 11/23/06 09:33 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26334
11/24/06 08:18 AM
11/24/06 08:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Exit, I was wondering how many quarts you think it will take to do your whole car. I have a 73 Super Beetle that I'm thinking of trying this on. I have a compressor and gun to shot the jams and under the trunk and hood with. I also have a HVLP turbine system that I was thinking of trying. I read on the samba that evil box has had good results with these systems.
Charger thanks for this method.

Barry

Last edited by muskin; 11/24/06 08:20 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26335
11/24/06 09:56 AM
11/24/06 09:56 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I think charger would know something about how much paint a beetle uses.

Probably 2-3 quarts, depending on what color you're painting it and what's underneath it. Going to use rustoleum or marine paint?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26336
11/24/06 11:06 AM
11/24/06 11:06 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hi Exit, I was wondering how many quarts you think it will take to do your whole car. I have a 73 Super Beetle that I'm thinking of trying this on. I have a compressor and gun to shot the jams and under the trunk and hood with. I also have a HVLP turbine system that I was thinking of trying. I read on the samba that evil box has had good results with these systems.
Charger thanks for this method.

Barry

it's funny how you have to come to moparts to discuss this when i posted it at the samba and the mods deleted it, let's just say they're not openminded as are the moparts mods, they are by far, the best moderators i have ever seen. That's one of the reasons i really am almost ashamed to have a beetle, the vw fourms are so mis-behaved, unlike moparts. sorry about the rant, i just had to share that with you guys.

as for painting the bug, i used about 1/2 a gal, the big can of paint, it's a gallon right? that does'nt include what i had mixed that i threw out, i'd say just a little over 2 quarts should do it, but buy the big can, it's cheaper, plus you have a endless supply of touch up paint, or if what happens to me happens to you; you need to paint a fender due to a little booboo then you have the exact paint match!!! Allthough i can say that i've used another can of the same color about 2 yrs apart and the color was an exact match, what ever you do, don't leave your left over paint outside to freeze, that ruins the paint, don't ask me how i know.

as far as spraying on the paint using one of those turbine systems, i'd say run away grasshopper, my expirence with them is that they work great for 5 mins, then start to spit, splatter paint unlike a traditional compressor/HVLP gun (which i have used ALOT), and that is a much better, more consistent system by far. But if you are going to spray, go thru the extra steps and use auto paint, the huge advantage to the "roller" method is that it's almost too easy, clean, easy, and of course easy and clean!!!! I've sprayed alot of cars in the past (over 20 for sure),and yes, it works great, looks good, but it's a huge mess and now i have no where to do it where i could get away with it, in the house i'm in now i would for sure have a complaint. The last car i sprayed was my dads 71 beetle back in 2001, using duplicolor single stage enamel, here's a pic:

71 beetle (car above) before paint:

and of course my 74 beetle which was rollered in 2000, here's a recient pic of that:

74 beetle (car above) before paint:

you can see a slight differnece in shine, one thing i can say is that bright colors are very good to use this method, dark colors are harder to pull off, and need alot more work in both prep and final polish, if you have the skills like aussie, then do black if you dare.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26337
11/24/06 02:50 PM
11/24/06 02:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HI Exit
Im thinking of using brightside.
Thanks Charger for the reply. Yep, I seen the mods ridicule and finally the deletion of your posts. I too think its stupid as crap. If its your vehicle, I don't see why its any of their business what a person does to his vehicle. Oh well rant over.
I have already replaced the floor pans,with the body on. Now I have a couple dents to fix before I start the paint. Did you have any rust bubbles under the rear window? Mine was bad on both sides. I had to cut out them out, then weld in replacement pieces on both sides. This old car was the first car I ever had, so I'm gonna try to fix it up pretty good. [bought it back in 1980].Did you spray under the trunk and door jams? I think that would be the easiest way. The car is not orange but a red orange kind of a color. Im hoping to find a color close to the original color. I wonder if the red, exit used is what I'm looking for. Guess the only way to know is purchase a quart to see if it is.
I guess I will quit rambling on.
L8r Barry

3086945-73pic4.jpg (296 downloads)
Page 94 of 159 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 158 159