11/04/06 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

there is orange peel but it's nothing to go wild over. still im anxious to see aussiedrivers results since I think he started out with as much or more orange peel than I have..

Well, after spending 10 hours wet sanding most of the orange peel out of my car, let me be the first to admit that I stuffed it up.

Lessons learned;
1. Next time I'll roll the Brightside with it thinned a bit. The non-thinned Brightside wasn't the best coat that I've ever done and it had too much peel to easily deal with.

2. If I ever end up with a lot of orange peel again, I won't be shelving the P1500 sandpaper and dropping back to P280 sandpaper for a "light" sand..... (Really dumb idea that was...)

3. Don't ever, ever, EVER try and wet sand a black car in direct sunlight on a warm day. It's amazing how quickly the water evaporates, leaving you with enough scratches to make you .

4. Crying doesn't help. A bucket of water and a spray bottle with detergent in it makes a much better wetting agent for the sanding, and there is more of it. (Specially if you don't get Lesson 2)

5. When all of the sanding turns to . Get over it and hurry up and re-paint the car. But this time pay attention to Lesson 1.

So, that's where I'm at. Although I am starting to be tempted by Perfection. Mmmmmm 2-part paint.....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26219
11/04/06 09:16 PM
11/04/06 09:16 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

So, that's where I'm at. Although I am starting to be tempted by Perfection. Mmmmmm 2-part paint.....

That's the problem, when your looking at your own work so closely, your your own worst enemy. Like if you have a small mistake, you see it from a mile away, but nobody else can!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26220
11/04/06 10:00 PM
11/04/06 10:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In regards to my buggy, I am going to wet sand it and get rid of the orange peel and let it continue to cure. It may have to much paint and that may be the problem. It has been hot and I thought that would help the drying process but I guess it will take more time.

Upon close examination in some areas, I am seeing some fine line cracking in the paint surface. Really have to look to see it. I am hoping that wet sands out. What could be causing that? Maybe too much heat from the sun?

I will give it more time and see what happens. Also continue to give it some sun each day also.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26221
11/04/06 11:45 PM
11/04/06 11:45 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Hey Exit, The paint job is looking awesome man. Now is this just after wet sanding and no polishing done to it? Either way its looking really sharp. Since reading this post from day one I have been checking out peoples cars on the road and I'm finding even top end cars ($40,000 and probably more)coming from the factories having terrible orange peel underneath the clear coat. I have been seeing this on lots of newer cars including my own and makes me go WOW!!! So I wouldnt worry to much about the little bit of orange peel your getting. Although I will probably be the same way (picking my own work apart like charger said) when I start to get paint on my car after the sheetmetal work is all finished. Looking good man wish I was to the painting point on my ride but "good thing come to those who are patient???? ". Good luck with getting it on the road. Jay

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26222
11/05/06 02:54 AM
11/05/06 02:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, so here is the new coat of Brightside.

This time I thinned the paint by a 12:1 ratio of paint to thinners, and I used a second roller to go over the paint after I had covered each panel.

These are the results,

The 'proper' Brightside technique gave me much better results than my previous efforts (and my photography skills are improving as well). There is still more orange peel in that paint than I would ideally like, but I have decided that I'll need to learn to live with it. I certainly don't plan on wrecking another coat of paint by over sanding it again.

I'm going to leave it dry overnight, then follow Charger's recipe and leave it out in the sun for a day to help cure. If that goes well then I might try a gentle wet sand with P2000 and then give it a polish on Tuesday. Thank goodness I have an extra long weekend because of a horse race....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #26223
11/05/06 11:10 AM
11/05/06 11:10 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

I'm finding even top end cars ($40,000 and probably more)coming from the factories having terrible orange peel underneath the clear coat. I have been seeing this on lots of newer cars including my own and makes me go WOW!!! So I wouldnt worry to much about the little bit of orange peel your getting.

You said it. I have followed this thread (actually the first 80+ page job before they killed it, and this one too)

A while back I really started looking a new cars, and it does not matter what the owner spent, tons of peel! whether it's a 8K Kia or a 50K+ Escalade, don't matter.

I had my charger painted by a guy (not a pro, did it in his garage as a side job) He used chromaclear [think that's what he called it] I got it back and wanted to shoot myself. I then took it to a professional detailer and he wetsanded it/compunded it and it's amazing how good it looks. It's the lack of peel that makes it look the way it does. paint has fisheyes in it and dirt too, but unless you are 1 foot from the car, you don't see them.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #26224
11/05/06 01:13 PM
11/05/06 01:13 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey Exit, The paint job is looking awesome man. Now is this just after wet sanding and no polishing done to it? Either way its looking really sharp. Since reading this post from day one I have been checking out peoples cars on the road and I'm finding even top end cars ($40,000 and probably more)coming from the factories having terrible orange peel underneath the clear coat. I have been seeing this on lots of newer cars including my own and makes me go WOW!!! So I wouldnt worry to much about the little bit of orange peel your getting. Although I will probably be the same way (picking my own work apart like charger said) when I start to get paint on my car after the sheetmetal work is all finished. Looking good man wish I was to the painting point on my ride but "good thing come to those who are patient???? ". Good luck with getting it on the road. Jay

That's with just the paint, no wetsanding or polishing done yet. And like I said I'm going to try to avoid wetsanding if I can help it.

It's pretty hard for me to tell how "bad" the orange peel is compared to cars out on the road, since I haven't had this thing outside. One thing I realize though is that it's time to move on to other things like the engine and tranny.. the paint really is EASY to do , so once the thing is running and I can see it in more angles and in more light, I might decide to sand it all down, then put 2 more thin coats on to get the orange peel down. But that could easily be done in a few days time.

So for the current paint job, all I've got to do is put another coat on the driver's door where I fixed something before the last coat, then I'll consider myself "done" until it's running and I can see how good/bad it looks out on the road. Then I have a feeling I'll be putting more work into the paint, whether it's another few coats, or just wetsanding the orange peel down then polishing. Maybe, maybe not.

ANother thought i had regarding the gloss retention, it's so easy to put another coat on, that even if the gloss only lasted 2 years, it's a matter of a couple hours prep and a couple hours to paint, then you've got great gloss again. You could even change the color at that point

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26225
11/05/06 02:45 PM
11/05/06 02:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here are some final pics of Crusader's '85 Jeep CJ7. He did a fantastic job, I think. For the "Before" pics, see the bottom of page 38 in this thread.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26226
11/05/06 03:18 PM
11/05/06 03:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That looks sexy, how about some closeups especially of the problem areas (hinges/body lines/etc)?

How "tough" is the finish so far?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26227
11/05/06 04:20 PM
11/05/06 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't know ... those 3 pics were all he sent to me. He's up at the family farm hunting right now, so I'm not too sure when he'll be back. I'll send him an email to get him to answer everyone's questions.

He used Brightside paint, so I would imagine it's pretty hard and durable.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26228
11/06/06 03:43 AM
11/06/06 03:43 AM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Has anyone spilled gas on their paint? I know this happens to me all the time at the pump. I've heard that it will eat/soften the paint right up. Is there any truth to this?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26229
11/06/06 10:30 AM
11/06/06 10:30 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Has anyone spilled gas on their paint? I know this happens to me all the time at the pump. I've heard that it will eat/soften the paint right up. Is there any truth to this?

Not sure about the rustoleum but brightside is marine paint that probably see a lot of use around gas fillers on boats, seems like to ought to be okay?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26230
11/06/06 11:08 AM
11/06/06 11:08 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

oh, trust me i have, spilt gas all over the front of my bug, and i mean all over, remember the gas filler is in the front of a beetle, and it was a really really hot 100*deg day, right in the sun, and the gas pump was deffective, where it should go off automatically, and it just kept going and would'nt shut off even after i let go of the handle. gas everywhere, hood, fender, running board, wheels, ect....it did stain the rubber on my running board, but my paint was totally fine, infact it acted like oil mixed with water, it just repelled off it, the paint is oil based remember. not only that but i've spilt just about everything on the paint, brake fluid left a little mark that came off with some wax, other than that nothing so far has sofetened/blemished the paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26231
11/06/06 03:11 PM
11/06/06 03:11 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Gas is a NON-FACTOR once the paint has dried and cured. I have spilled gas on the Brightside and it did absolutely NOTHING to the paint.

It did remove some of the wax... but twelve seconds with some fresh wax and the shine was right back up to 100%.

I can also confirm that ANTI-FREEZE, brake fluid AND transmission fluid have had NO EFFECT whatsoever on the paint job

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26232
11/06/06 04:59 PM
11/06/06 04:59 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Two more questions:

1) Since no one is likely using epoxy primer to seal the metal off, what is actually protecting the metal underneath the paint from rusting? The paint itself?

2) What type of Primer was used after placing filler? Is there a quality primer that will protect against rock chips? I've seen DIY painted bumpers/metal fenders that have chipped to hell b/c of bad rattle can primer.

Thanks again.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26233
11/06/06 06:13 PM
11/06/06 06:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone laid down any of the bluewater marine paint yet? I believe wyle e coyote was using a blue of theirs I believe?

I am waiting to see results/impressions of that before I plunk down $70 for a gallon.

Bluewater is at the top of my list because of the "orange" color they carry, and I am antsy to put some paint down after working so hard prepping the rig.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26234
11/06/06 08:16 PM
11/06/06 08:16 PM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
I used the e-bay paint & had a dotted finish like there was dirt on the paint or all the bubbles didn't pop. Do I buff the final finish or what? I don't have bad orange peel at all. I thinned with mineral spirits & tried it straight. I didn't use the reccommended brushing liquid. Maybe I should have.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26235
11/06/06 10:07 PM
11/06/06 10:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I read the entire thread and bought the ebay Fire Red Brightside.
I preped a test panel (Fiero rear deck lid - fiberglass).
DAed with 180 grit, washed and rolled on 10% dilute Brtsde.(Thinned w/Brushing fluid) Tremendous amount of bubbles. Tried rolling opposite direction - still many bubbles that took 15 - 20 minutes to pop - lots of peel. Temperature in shop 60 degrees.
2nd coat 10% - same bad bubbles so I tried the foam brush "tipping" trick. Much improved.
Wet sanded 400 grit 'til the o'peel gone.
5% dilute 3rd coat - tipped.
Straight 4th coat - tipped.
(At least 24 hrs between all coats.)
Wetsanded 800 grit to remove ridges left from tipping. WS 1500, then 2000.
Compounded and polished.

I have a very mottled gloss. I'm sure what I see are sanded through layers of paint.

Attached is a pic of the finish. (Taken without flash as flash washes it out.)

Ideas on what's wrong?

3046201-Bright1.jpg (666 downloads)
Last edited by Bob36; 11/06/06 10:14 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26236
11/06/06 10:08 PM
11/06/06 10:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pic with flash.

3046208-Bright2.jpg (492 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26237
11/06/06 10:46 PM
11/06/06 10:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All,

I purchased a G100 (Porter Cable 7424 rebranded by Meguiar's and give me a lifetime warranty, backing plate and one foam pad). If you look back a page or two I had asked about hazing and swirls. I have that handled now. I used Meguiar's #83, then #80 then #21 and have these results: (This is where I did half of my trunk lid and taped off the other have to compare).

This is what black should look like!!! It doesn't matter how you apply paint, if you are going to wet sand, it is how well you polish and buff!!!!

Mike

Page 89 of 159 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 158 159