03/21/09 11:58 PM
03/21/09 11:58 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

I had several people show interest in the Magnum conversion I have been slowly undertaking on my 70 Ebody and asked me to post some info. I took the A518 conversion technique from 1WildRT and decided to install the entire EFI, Tranny, ECU and all. I am not the first to do this but maybe this can be help to others who are doing it.

I started with a 95 5.9L Magnum and A518 Tranny. Here are some things I have collected.

Wiring Diagrams for Magnum Engines are here.
Wiring Diagrams

Here are some pics showing the clearance of the tranny.
Tranmission fitting

Clearance of the engine
Fitting the Engine

There are many big pics so I just put links to them.

I tried the Magnum Manifolds but they didn't clear the Power Steering Unit.
I Tried Durango Headers and they wouldn't clear the Steering Shaft.
I could use small block Manifolds but decided to use regular small block headers instead. I am going to have to add an EGR tube and an O2 sensor bung. My original reason for trying the Durango headers was so I didn't have to do that.

Here is the hood clearance for the Air Cleaner wingnut.

I am wondering if anybody has a good idea for an Air Cleaner?

I was going to move the battery under the fender but somebody told me the VAN's use a different power steering pump bracket that will clear the Battery Tray.

If anyone has any advice or comments please post.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: IMGTX] #261374
03/22/09 01:46 AM
03/22/09 01:46 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

I am wondering if anybody has a good idea for an Air Cleaner?

Oval six-pack style air cleaner with a drop base for a 4bbl? Should help to hide a lot of the efi junk on the intake manifold.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #261375
03/22/09 02:44 AM
03/22/09 02:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm hoping to get the money before I die to get another '70 B body, and I'd love to stick a modern Magnum in there and make a driver out of it.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: IMGTX] #261376
03/22/09 04:02 AM
03/22/09 04:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think any drop base air cleaner will hit the linkage and sensors. I've been that route on my 95 5.9 Ram. Another way around is to find a late 90's Durango with a 5.2 or a 5.9. Get the air hat and stud relocation bracket off the throttle body. This setup is only a few inches tall but you need to run a duct of some sort. No big deal. You definetly need the stud relocation bracket because the durango air hat has the stud hole in the center while the stud is way offset in the throttle body. I think the durango setup is the best way to go. I used this on my 95 ram along with Spectre build-your-own-aircleaner chrome duct work. I was very happy with the results.

DUH! I should pay more attention, you already have the stud bracket.

Last edited by hemicuda974; 03/22/09 04:06 AM.
Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #261377
03/22/09 04:27 AM
03/22/09 04:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow. Nice work detailing the engine! Looks sharp! What oil pan and engine mounts did you use? I'm also swapping a 95 5.9 with the S.M.P.I. and overdrive into a 72 challenger. Are you going to reuse the Power Distribution Center from the S.M.P.I.? I'm using every piece I can off the Ram to keep costs down. Any thoughts on the fuel pump and regulator?

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... #261378
03/22/09 08:50 AM
03/22/09 08:50 AM
Ste-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

Ĥi,this is the pump coming out of a van, it is standing lower than of a truck....I was going to do the opposite but now.....I kept the 904 for easier linkage

The major issue is the steering box and column....will they clear properly with LA headers ?

Daniel magnum

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Wedgeman] #261379
03/22/09 12:56 PM
03/22/09 12:56 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

So I dropped the magnum in a 65 b-body. I plan on using efi, but started on a different route. Have not finished yet. yours may be a cheaper way or easier I don't know. I used my car as a test car for Painless who was going efi it with their computer. but they canceled the project. I don't have the money right now to buy the rest of the parts to finish it so it stays in my garage.
However I think I can help with a few of your issues.

First, yes the van power steering bracket is different then the truck one.
It will allow it to fit with the battery. It is tight in an early b, so it should be better for your e-body.

There are the two pumps.

Here is the van pump on the motor in the car.

with the battery installed

Here is the air cleaner I picked. with a double stack of gaskets it clears everything.

I got the old 727 to work and gas pedal with some mods to the new cables. So all the regular throttle body and cable kick down that came with the truck motor worked.

Hoses were the worst part. Here is the hose I finally got to work. Comes off a GMC pickup. I have the info somewhere if you still needed.

I tried a bunch of different ones. Some might work depending on which air cleaner you settle on, and if you keep a/c or not.

I used the truck exhaust manifolds.
You can see how tight it is here.

If you got everything then you should have a couple of these parts on the transmission so you can use the truck kickdown cables.

Then I modded the end of the throttle cable for the truck to match up to my cable.

It is all in but the painless stuff and the wide band o2 sensor for tuning.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Andrewh] #261380
03/22/09 01:00 PM
03/22/09 01:00 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

Oh, I used the aeromotive regulator, the msd pump, had to get hoses made to mate the ps and a/c to my old lines. Use shcumaker conversion mounts for the early b.

You have to make 50 psi for the 98 and up magnum. don't know about the 95.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Andrewh] #261381
03/22/09 01:44 PM
03/22/09 01:44 PM
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

The '95 and '94 use 40 psi pump....

Still need infos on how A-body headers clears power steering espacial #7near the firewall

Daniel

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Wedgeman] #261382
03/22/09 05:41 PM
03/22/09 05:41 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
I have a 318 Magnum that I am putting into my Volare. I thought I was set on the EFI thing but since I replaced the original LA heads in my 83 D 250 with Magnum heads and topped it off with a Performer and AFB I'm leaning that way with the Magnum engine when I get thet far on the Volare.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... #261383
03/23/09 01:42 AM
03/23/09 01:42 AM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Sweet Info Andrewh I like what you did with that conversion. I have 3 Milk Crates of wiring I have to disect to get my wiring together. I am going to keep the power distribution box and try to integrate the EFI system with as little changes to the factory wiring as possible.

Luckily the AC & Heater hoses exit at the same place as they did on my original 70 engine.

My conversion is going to be super cheap. I got the Engine and tranny for $150. The wiring harness, ECU, Oil pan, new headers, missing parts like Dipstick tube and other stuff for about $450 more.

The oil pan and pick up were standard 1974 360 E body parts. I got the oil pan from Ebay and the pickup from Autozone.

The engine mounts are standard 318 mounts for an E body. The 5.9L uses the 340/360 mounts but all I had was 318's so I had to shim the mounts.

I am going to try to integrate the 95 OEM fuel pump into my 70 tank. I am hopeing to integrate it into an old tank by fashioning an Adapter into the top of the tank. If it works I will post pictures. My goal is to keep the whole process 100% factory parts so if I break down in the middle of no where I can get parts at nearly any parts store. It won't be that way but my goal is to get as close as possible.

Hemicuda974, that was a great idea about the Durango air cleaner hat. I just happened to have one and it clears. Now I am tempted to leave the battery out of the engine compartment and place an Air Cleaner Box in place of the battery. I will have to modify the hat since it seems to only go on one way and points to the passenger side IIRC.

I added some more pics here.

Daniel the headers for an A body will work fine. Once the factory Magnum exhaust manifolds are removed the sides of the engine are dimensionally the same. My only concern was the port shape but it isn't very different, Look here. . You will need to add an O2 Sensor in the exhaust. In order to keep the O2 sensor and EGR functional I plan on adding fittings on the inside edge of the collectors.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: IMGTX] #261384
03/23/09 08:44 AM
03/23/09 08:44 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
great info. what mag headers did you try, and do you have any pics of the interference with the steering shaft?

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: patrick] #261385
03/23/09 09:30 AM
03/23/09 09:30 AM
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

Ok...so I'll get a set of A-body headers and try this, still have a month before snow melts anyway !
THANKS
Daniel [image][/image]

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: IMGTX] #261386
03/23/09 11:09 AM
03/23/09 11:09 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

Two things.
Except for how it looks, a one horn air cleaner, the van air cleaner is a standard looking air cleaner if you don't want to deal with the box. I could not figure out where to put it, so I found this m-body cop one instead. But could have gone with the van one.

Second, I had thought about the fuel pump from the truck, but two things stopped me. Well 3 really.
One the fuel sending unit isn't compatible, as I recall, so I would have no idea how much gas was in it.
Second, I think the fuel pump unit as a whole is deeper than my fuel tank. You may find that different for you.
Third, the cost of one if you have to replace it was pretty outrageous, but again I was looking at the 98 and up.

Your bonus is you don't have to figure out a return line like I did since it is self regulating at the pump.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Andrewh] #261387
03/23/09 11:31 AM
03/23/09 11:31 AM
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

Andrew,
I had a look too at the fuel sending unit in the tank, and it's way too big.....I tought going the simple route and get a universal pump to install on the fuel line, next to the frame rail....

Or any other ideas ? I have acces to a LOT of parts since a friend owns a scrap yard..

Daniel

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Wedgeman] #261388
03/23/09 12:29 PM
03/23/09 12:29 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

Quote:

Andrew,
I had a look too at the fuel sending unit in the tank, and it's way too big.....I tought going the simple route and get a universal pump to install on the fuel line, next to the frame rail....

Or any other ideas ? I have acces to a LOT of parts since a friend owns a scrap yard..

Daniel

That is what I chose to do. I picked up the msd pump from summit. It was just at 100 bucks. I mounted mine at the frame rail as well. Big loop up and over to avoid the exhaust.
The catch of course is that you now need a regulator, and most regulators that go as high as 50 psi need a return line. I used the stock fuel line as my return and used efi rubber line as my new fuel line.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: Andrewh] #261389
03/23/09 02:10 PM
03/23/09 02:10 PM
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

Anfrew, there is a regulator located just un front of the distr (94 model) this one won't do ?

Daniel

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: patrick] #261390
03/23/09 02:11 PM
03/23/09 02:11 PM
IMGTX Offline OP
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline OP
I Live Here

Quote:

great info. what mag headers did you try, and do you have any pics of the interference with the steering shaft?

I tried to used the Summit (Made by Pacesetter) Headers. Here are a couple of pictures

They were a good quality but if you look at the tube drawing back from the #1 & #7 cylinder on the drivers side it curls farther out than the factory manifolds do and that curl ran straight into the steering shaft.

AndrewH you are probably right about it being too deep for the tank. I haven't actually tried to fit it yet. My first thought was to remove the pump from the monster size case and mount it to the factory 70 model pickup tube but I heard EFI systems like the baffles/reserve area around the pickup of the pump. I figured if I had to add baffles to keep the EFI system fed properly I may try to use the whole cartridge from the 95 tank. Maybe I am just over thinking the whole thing. I don't think my way will work but I won't be out any money if it doesn't. I will let you guys know.

I like the Air Cleaner from a Van/M body but for me I want to really call attention to the fact it's a late model engine and I figure the late model Air Cleaner box would only add to the look. Now you have me thinking though. I have a 440 and a 340 4BBl Air Cleaner I may have to see if they will clear. One great think about this thread is I am so juiced to try some of these new Ideas you guys are giving me.

How much room do you guys consider safe for the hood clearance? I have about 1" right now.

Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: IMGTX] #261391
03/23/09 03:16 PM
03/23/09 03:16 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
good info on the headers. I was asking about the Eddie 66013 headers and fitting them in a mopar car (M body, so no t-bars to worry about) a few days ago and just ended up hearing crickets

here's a pic of the eddie headers

I'm interested in them because they're coated 409 stainless steel, I could probably use most of the downpipes to fab up my Y pipe, and they're $130 cheaper than the plain steel dougs D453's in ceramic coat.

they're also about the same price as the sum of the ceramic coat hedmans and about 3/4 of the 409 stanless steel parts (mandrel bends, collectors) to build my Y down to the magnaflow Y collector, and they don't have the funky #7 crossover like the cheapie (hedman, hooker, flowtech, summit, dynomax) headers have that make the #5 & #7 spark plug wires a bear to try and route.

Last edited by patrick; 03/23/09 03:23 PM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Magnum conversion info and questions..... [Re: IMGTX] #261392
03/23/09 03:20 PM
03/23/09 03:20 PM
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

I was thinking the same thing about those Magnum headers.......I really like the box too for an air cleaner, haven't tried it but I think it won't fit under, so I though I would have to stick with the one form the van

It is great to have other people work on the same project...it is a boost !!

Daniel

Page 1 of 2 1 2